Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Die Kinderkarawane.” as Want to Read:
Die Kinderkarawane.
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

Die Kinderkarawane.

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In 1844 trokken zeven kinderen onder aanvoering van hun 13-jarige broer helemaal alleen door het verre westen van Noord-Amerika, dat toen nog een gevaarlijke, ruige wildernis was. Ze waren op weg naar Oregon. Het werd een barre tocht langs ongebaande wegen, door hagel- en sneeuwstormen. Ze hadden geen voedsel en geen water, en 's nachts in de duisternis gloeiden de ogen va ...more
Paperback, 188 pages
Published January 1st 1975 by Dtv junior (first published 1949)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Die Kinderkarawane., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Kinderkarawane.

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 252)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Josiah Roberts
Children on the Oregon Trail by Anna Rutgers Van Der Loeff is a very moving and interesting novel based on factual events that occurred during the 1840's in the United States of America. It captures the spirit of courage and determination among the pioneers and their families as they journey through challenging times.

The novel is about a pioneering family who are making the huge journey from Mississippi to the Columbia Valley in the Far West. The Sager family consisting of Father and Mother Sage
...more
Karen
I didn't think I was going to like this book at first, it didn't really grab me, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. It is the story of the Sager children, who set off with their parents from Missouri in a covered wagon along the newly (and I mean NEWLY) blazed Oregon Trail. Tragedy strikes and the children, led by 14 y/o John, decide to keep going. You've got to admire them for even trying, and marvel at their success through hardships we today cannot even fathom. It is based on a true stor ...more
Amerdale
Ich weiß gar nicht mehr, woher ich das Buch als Kind mal hatte, aber ich habe es geliebt und unzählige Male gelesen. Und auf einmal war es verschwunden – ich fühle mich in meiner Theorie, dass auf unserem Speicher ein kleines schwarzes Loch lebt, bestätigt. Aber aus irgendeinem Grund habe ich mich an das Buch erinnert und musste es unbedingt mal wieder lesen, also habe ich mir eine zweite Ausgabe organisiert.

Und entgegen meiner Befürchtung ist der Zauber des Buches auch nicht verloren gegangen.
...more
Diane Warrington
After watching a recent programme about the Oregon trail I remembered reading this book when I was teenager. I was interested to see how it stood the test of time. It was still an interesting read especially as it was based on fact. There were a few moments that jarred. I don't think that you would get away with derogatory comments about Indians in the 21st century. They are variously called, languid, lazy and untrustworthy. They are seen as little more than savage children. At one point the aut ...more
Mathilde
This is such an amazing book. I've read it three times already, and it still surprises me somehow. I love how they perspective changes at times, so that you can see how other people felt about them as well. Most wonderful of all is the part where you begin to think of how this all really happened. It really gets to you.
Lieke
This was one of those books that I read many times when I was a child, fleeing deeply all of the children. It has been some time since I have read it last, but I remember it as an amazing book with very real characters. It was based upon a true story.
Flora
I read this as a kid in primary school, I think I was eight or nine. My teacher forced me to keep reading it, even though I didn't want to because it was so gruesome and so many horrible things happened.. But I'm glad I kept reading. It was worth it.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It seemed obvious to me that this book, on the list of 1001 Children’s Books You Must Read, was a book I should take along on my trip to Oregon.

But the mail can be stubbornly slow at times. This was one of those times. The book didn’t arrive until I returned from Oregon.

Glad it did. I don’t think I could stand to be driving around in the air conditioned comfort of a rental car, stopping to eat at four-star restaurants, and staying in luxurious hotels while reading this book, a story based on tru
...more
Marineke
An Rutgers van der Loeff baseerde haar verhaal op een krantenartikel, maar inmiddels is gebleken dat de kern van het verhaal niet klopt. In werkelijkheid zijn de zeven weeskinderen Sager altijd begeleid door een groep volwassenen en bij de volgende druk wordt het predikaat 'waargebeurd' verwijderd. Desalniettemin blijft het een fantastisch boek dat zeer levensecht geschreven is.
Marineke
An Rutgers van der Loeff baseerde haar verhaal op een krantenartikel, maar inmiddels is gebleken dat de kern van het verhaal niet klopt. In werkelijkheid zijn de zeven weeskinderen Sager altijd begeleid door een groep volwassenen en bij de volgende druk wordt het predikaat 'waargebeurd' verwijderd. Desalniettemin blijft het een fantastisch boek dat zeer levensecht geschreven is.
Jane
Weer een pareltje van vroeger. Een prachtig verhaal over een familie waarbij de ouders omkomen tijdens de trek naar het "wilde" westen in Amerika. Daardoor zijn de kinderen op elkaar aangewezen. Vooral de oudste kinderen worden snel volwassen en moeten al veel verantwoordelijkheden en zorgen dragen. Schitterend avonturenboek.
Christina
My favourite childhood book! It was also my grandmother's favourite book, when she was young, so she recommended the novel to me. I read it when I was approximately twelve years old en I still love the story!
A.Foulds
Love it - amazing book. Great description and story-line. Really makes you think about what the pioneer people went through to get to new land.
Raheel
My childhood favorite.Still regard it as my first real experience of powerful litreature.
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Romano
Romano added it
Nov 04, 2014
Sarah
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Mara
Mara is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Mohammadhayakhan
Mohammadhayakhan marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • A Dog So Small
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Grinny
  • Amazon Adventure
  • Tashi (Tashi, #1)
  • De kleine kapitein
  • The School for Cats
  • Vuk
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • The 18th Emergency
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Fray Perico y su borrico
  • La regina dei caraibi
  • Under the Mountain
Rossy, dat krantenkind Avalanche Het licht in je ogen Ze verdrinken ons dorp Gideons reizen

Share This Book