Start by marking “A Little House Christmas: Holiday Stories From the Little House Books” as Want to Read:
A Little House Christmas: Holiday Stories From the Little House Books

A Little House Christmas: Holiday Stories From the Little House Books

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Many years ago, a little girl named Laura Ingalls traveled with her family across the American frontier. They had many happy adventures together, and when Laura grew up she wrote of these times in her beloved Little House books. Some of the most wonderful stories in these books tell of merry Christmas celebrations in the little houses in the Big Woods, on the prairie, and ...more
Published October 5th 1995 by HarperTrophy (first published October 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Little House Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little House Christmas

The Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Little House Cookbook by Barbara M. WalkerLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Little House
33rd out of 100 books — 18 voters
By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls WilderFarmer Boy by Laura Ingalls WilderThe First Four Years by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Best of Laura Ingalls Wilder
55th out of 100 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Tiffany Day
Dec 24, 2015 Tiffany Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect holiday read: a collection of Christmas passages culled from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series. Evocative of the warmth and love one can glean from just being together with family, these tales stir the heart and bring back memories of my own childhood - those spent as a kid at Christmas, as well as those of the pleasures these books (and the TV show) brought me. Plus, it really does put things into perspective. In our era of "stuff" and "more more more" it's nice to co ...more
Rachel
Dec 28, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
So sweet! This year we started a new tradition of reading one christmas each night leading up to the big day. It was a lot of fun, and having this made it easy. (We also added in Farmer Boy and Silver Lake -- wish if have thought to start sooner and get more in.)
Oct 09, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I always love reading the Christmas stories in the Little House books because it makes me feel so warm and comfy -- as if I too could wake up to a fire crackling or fall asleep with my dad playing the fiddle. The stories always show what's really important (people arriving home through blizzards), and how a good Christmas can be had with just a few simple gifts (or pieces of candy!) rather than the spending spree it's turned into. I'll probably pull this back out in December too. It was great to ...more
Tracy
Dec 08, 2009 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tricia, Karen
Shelves: christmas-books
This is a compilation of the Christmases from the Little House books. It is great to read with kids during the holiday season. Reading about how spare, yet happy, their Christmases were is a great way to take us both out of the mind-set of 'I want, I want, I want'.
Dec 09, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
An annual tradition reminding us of how little is needed to create joy with gratitude in our hearts. These stories are sweet and gentle and provide contrast for the luxurious Christmas celebrations we enjoy today.

This year, I got to share them with my dear 7-year-old friend, Abby, who was fascinated by the idea of living in a dugout and sharing one room with 5 family members. She enjoyed the tender, loving family relationships and simple stories.
Margaret Chind
We just finished this as a read aloud. (AppleBlossom is currently three years old.) We read it right before bed for several nights. I wasn't sure what to expect with a Christmas treasury, but what I found was a book that seemed to take all the chapters with Christmas from the various Little House stories. Now here is my confession, I have never read the Little House books. I have wanted to but the opportunity just never presented itself now with daughters I'm looking forward to it. This is a bea ...more
Rosa Cline
Dec 09, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, 2015
This collection of Christmas memories are taken from Laura Wilder's Little House on the Prairie series. Each chapter is taken from one of the books and with it a page explaining how old Laura was and where the family lived and what was going on (like in the long winter). Reading this reminds me of sitting with an elderly friend and listen to them tell stories of their youth. Ms Wilder does a wonderful job
Leah
Jan 04, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
A great book to read over the holidays to our spoiled 21st century children. This book simply takes the chapters about Christmas from the little house books and combines them into one volume. We enjoyed reading about simple pleasures when the children were happy with new mittens and a few peppermint sticks.
Rachel N
Feb 14, 2014 Rachel N rated it really liked it
A great introduction to the Little House stories and a fun read during Christmas time. My kids were confused, though, by Laura's age being different in each chapter. :) I look forward to reading the series to them soon.
Nov 30, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Wonderful way to stop and appreciate the bare, simple things of the holiday season. A refreshing break from the consumerism of today.
Robin
Dec 14, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Little House books, and this was a sweet addition to the collection.
Julie
Jun 05, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A convenient way to focus on the holidays with the Ingall's.
Kara Nichols
Nov 23, 2015 Kara Nichols rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll read this every year at Christmas. Love.
Diana S
I've always loved the stories of Laura Ingalls and her family. A heart treasure.
Margaret
Dec 18, 2010 Margaret rated it it was amazing
This was my 2 youngest childrens introduction to Laura Ingalls Wilder as we are headed to Theatre of Youth tomorrow to see a play based on the stories. A whole new appreciation for simple things was discovered. My kids were amazed at how happy they were at Christmas to just get such small gifts. Looking forward to making molasses snow candy when we get some fresh snow.
JennLynn
Dec 29, 2011 JennLynn rated it it was amazing
A quintessential Christmas read - stories from several of the Little House books. They really help put in perspective the meaning of the season and what is truly important. It's sort of sad to see how materialistic and consumeristic we have become in the last century and a half. A-
Charissa
A sweet, heartwarming collection of Christmas stories from the Little House books. We might just read this one again next year!
Amy
Dec 12, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-books
This book has been a popular read for a few years now, ever since I read L.H. in the Big Woods to B. The stories tell of very simple Christmases (or big adventures/hardships) and the joy brought by very small gifts. It is a good reminder for us all, I think.
Mary
Dec 19, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of the wonderful Christmas chapters from the Little House on the Prairie series in one beautiful book, with the memorable charcoal sketches of Garth Williams included. Smooth cover that feels great in your hands. A must-have for the Christmas season!
Loki
Jan 22, 2011 Loki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
I liked when their dad was coming home and lost in the snow. I like all the like, exciting parts. There weren't any other exciting parts, I don't think. 4 stars for when they got their Christmas presents.
I do want to read it again next Christmas.
Jenny Bates
Dec 31, 2009 Jenny Bates rated it liked it
We read this for Christmas. The kids really enjoyed it. Every year Justin reads a Christmas chapter book to the kids leading up to Christmas Eve. I felt like the last chapter was a little disappointing but all of the others were pretty great.
Angela
Apr 07, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
This was a joyful collection and a wonderful before-bed book when I had just finished reading something disturbing. I will buy a copy to read every year at the holiday season--and any time I "need a little Christmas right this very minute".
Cindi
Dec 26, 2008 Cindi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
We read this book this year to get ourselves in the mind-set of a simpler Christmas. It is the parts of the Little House on the Prairie books having to do with Christmas. It was wonderful!
Heidi
Dec 20, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this to my two youngest girls in the days before Christmas. They loved it and I loved that they would thank me each night for reading to them. That Laura can bring out the best in us!
Heidi
Love, love, love the entire Little House series. This book is a collection of all the Christmas chapters. Such a wonderful read during the Christmas season!
Alison
Jan 07, 2009 Alison rated it liked it
Christmas is something always highlighted in the Little House books. A nice anthology to read to get in the Christmas spirit.
Andrea
Nov 14, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday
A perfect holiday companion for readers who love the Little House books. I plan to pull this out each Christmas!
Jodie
Oct 24, 2010 Jodie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one when I was younger. I've read them over the years numerous times and they just get better.
Rachel Strang
Dec 31, 2011 Rachel Strang rated it really liked it
I loved hereing what Christmas was like then! I was a little surprised though
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • Merry Christmas, Strega Nona
  • Mary Engelbreit's A Merry Little Christmas: Celebrate from A to Z
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • The Berenstain Bears Cook-It! Breakfast for Mama!
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • The Legend of the Candy Cane
  • Santa Mouse
  • The True Gift: A Christmas Story
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Great Joy
  • Santa's Stuck
  • Silent Night
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...