Start by marking “Firelight (Firelight, #1)” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  46,439 ratings  ·  3,919 reviews
A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.

With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness forces her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is the gorg
Published September 6th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Firelight, please sign up.

Brinkley Firelight came first, so technically Talon is the copy. I haven't read either, but Firelight was released in 2010 (I think), while Talon was released…moreFirelight came first, so technically Talon is the copy. I haven't read either, but Firelight was released in 2010 (I think), while Talon was released in 2014.(less)

The Holy Terror
Incredibly disappointed. Those two words sum up my feelings for this book pretty succinctly. What could have been an awesome teen book with dragon shifters and the trials of wanting to fit in turned into a whine- and pine-fest the likes of which I’ve never seen before. (And no, I have not read Twilight.)

There aren’t any glaring spoilers in this review, at least nothing that couldn’t be gleaned from the dust jacket, but I do discuss most of the book here, so you’re forewarned!

Preemptive apology
Kiki
Jul 11, 2013 Kiki rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vets
Recommended to Kiki by: A vet
Editing this review. Brb.
Veronica Roth
Ever since I was young, I have had a strict dragon-avoiding policy, but I decided to temporarily suspend it for FIRELIGHT, and I'm glad I did. The book is about a girl named Jacinda who is a draki (sort of a human-dragon combo deal) who is forced to flee her home, and winds up falling for a boy whose family hunts Jacinda's kind. What I most appreciated about the book is Jacinda's character. She seemed to know exactly who she was, and wanted to stay that way. I especially enjoyed Jacinda's determ ...more
Monisha

Shape-shifters are nothing new.
But shape-shifter-dragons?
How cool is that? OR NOT!

description

I loved the idea, but unfortunately, I struggled a lot with Firelight and story fell short.
There were such high expectations for this book, but it sucked .......BIG TIME!!!!

The tagline for this book is:

A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love. <----- See, this part was what intrigued me the most!

But after a few chapters, this unique story about draki's turned into a "new girl in town meets hot distant boy a
Haleema
Beware of spoilers!

I feel so... immoral to give this one two stars. However, it doesn't entirely deserve one star either. I was contemplating quite hard before giving this book two stars. Yeah...

First of all, Firelight? It's a good thing that doesn't sound like Twilight because that would have been really stupid...

Firelight was about... *tries to think up words* Ummm... uh... eeeh... ohh... Really. What was it about? *ding* Oh, yeah! Firelight was about a monotonous, pessimistic, idiotic, depres
Scarlet
3.5 STARS

** Warning: This Review Contains Spoilers **

So after finishing Firelight late last night I’m left with mixed feelings. I, being a HUGE fan of dragons ever since I was really young, was very excited to get my hands on this book. Because I mean...dragons. DRAGONS!!! Or excuse me, draki, since apparently in this book the word dragon is not politically correct.

(Just so you know beforehand, I did like Firelight, though based on my review you might not think so. I did, I swear, I’m just main
Sophie Jordan
Aug 10, 2010 Sophie Jordan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Of course, I love it!! :)
Lora
Jun 13, 2011 Lora rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA paranormal novels
First off, let's start with the things I liked about Firelight:

The writing. Fairly good. Although maybe a little too easy for my taste (I think the biggest word she used was confidante), it had a nice flow that made it easy to flip pages at rapid-fire speed. Also, I thought that the world she created was slightly more original than other paranormal worlds out there right now. I liked the whole "draki" idea, it made for a fresh plot that was more engrossing than most copycat (*cough*vampires*coug
Tera
An amazing and dramatic book. I was attached to Jacinda from page one, from the moment she first takes flight. With romance, danger, action, family, new friends, and ancient rules, this is definitely one to watch for this fall.
Kim
Warning: 99,9% of his review has nothing to do with this book.

I was going to review this, but I'm having the same problem as my good friend Jess: I honestly don't know what to say about this book. It could be because of the circumstances. I'll give you a few examples when you should not be reading a book.

Yes, there are certain places/cases/events where you shouldn't be reading, quit scowling at me, you silly person.

Some suggestions:

- While driving a car
- While doing open heart surgery on somebod
Katy Kennedy

LA PEOR INVERSIÓN QUE HICE EN MI VIDA. Y encima no me lo aceptan en ninguna casa de libros usados. Casi me largo a llorar cuando pedí que me lo cambiaran por uno de Shakespeare (no funcionó ODIO A LA VENDEDORA).

Cuando lo leí el año pasado a principio de año, dije: "Me gustó, qué se yo". Pero ahora siento que me volví mucho más crítica y cada vez que lo veo me da vergüenza tenerlo ahí en el estante. Dios. Me lo quiero sacar de encima y no sé cómo. Me había llamado la atención que fuera sobre dra

Alex Bennett
Firelight by Sophie Jordan was one of the best books I have ever read. But I think I owe you more of an explanation than that. From page one, I knew that this book would take over my life. While reading, everything I did revolved around this book. When I ate, when (if) I did homework, if I even came out of my room.

Starting off with a bang, the whole story leaves you hungry for more. To the point of you never wanting to stop. I felt an instant need to read more about the amazing mythology, charac
Colleen Houck
My favorite thing about this book is the draki world that Sophie created. I feel like she only scratched the surface there and that she has so much more to tell us. What an exciting new series to be able to read! I'm very much looking forward to the second book. Is it wrong to beg another author for an advanced copy because I'm not too proud to beg.
Lea
Alrighty, so I just finished this book. And I'm wavering between a 2.5 and a 3 star review.

Overall, you know, it wasn't bad. I've read much worse (Fallen series, anyone? Anyone?) The premise of the story is different, which I definitely liked-- I mean, a book about a girl who descends from dragons? That's cool.

But...

I don't know, try as I did, there were just things about this book that left me frustrated. It's not that I didn't like it-- more that I think it had the potential to be a lot bett
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Dec 04, 2010 Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* by: mi amiga Abby :)
La di daaa, catching up on reviews I've neglected to do for the past few weeks. I've been busy with college apps sooo haven't been in the mood to review much lately. It's sad. I love writing book reviews.

ANYWAY, sooo this book. My friend recommended it to me, so I read it. And I liked it, for the most part.

First of all, I liked the premise. Yes, there have been many paranormal romances lately, but at least this one wasn't about vampires and werewolves and faeries and whatnot. It's about a girl
Nic
Oct 15, 2010 Nic rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Shiver
Quiet surrounds us. So thick I can taste it. He sends me a sidelong glance, the gold of his hazel eyes sparking warmth in my chest, igniting a burn I thought was dying.

Wow, what a stunning book! Firelight was a beautiful tale of forbidden love, danger and mythical abilities. I had high hopes for this book and it didn’t disappoint.

You can tell Jordan is an experienced writer. The way it flowed, the way it captivated me from the first page, it was just magical. I have so many quotes that I love f
Carolina
Whoever designed this cover was a genius. I loved that this girl actually had a head and a (mostly) visible face. I get worn out with all the headless covers in YA. Still, you have no idea what this book is about because you can't see the body, but one glimpse at this (mostly) human face--the bright red hair, the glitter and the shine and the subtle scales--and you know that somewhere in there, there's some sparkly fantasy. I saw this cover and drooled just a little bit. It was enough for me to ...more
Liz

The problem of such books is just that sometimes the write style or the characters or the combination of both, take all the tension. And the book turns out to be fucking awful.

The idea behind the book is actually intriguing and it makes you long for more, but the execution of this idea leaves a lot to be desired...It could have been much better.
It was not. This is the reason why I gave only 2 stars. Sorry... I wish I could give more.

The write style was sometimes just too long-winded and unrea
Mizuki
2.5 stars. If you can handle cliches flying from all directions, then you might be okay with this book.

Firelight, one hell of cliched book it is, to a point that I want to make a cliches check list:

(1) A heroine who is so very special, she's also the only one of her kind? Check.
(2) A heroine who is tired of everyone paying extra attention to her, and wants nothing to be ordinary? Check.
(3) Said heroine encounters a hunter boy who's supposed to hunt and kill her, but somehow he doesn't? Check.
(4)
Okapi
Aug 27, 2010 Okapi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hush, Hush fans
As a fan of dragons, the premise sounded promising - a hiatus from vampires, werewolves and angels while still lingering in the paranormal zone. Curled up in my bed for a couple hours, I read this novel in one sitting, my attention constantly tethered to the rapt and engaging plot. But alas, my eyes uncovered a paltry, watery novel that washed through my mind and caused me to forget about it soon after.

I love the concept of draki, the descendants of dragons, morphing into human, and their custom
Jessica
Itsy bitsy tiny spoilers ahead!

I don’t know what it is with this book but I’m having an extremely hard time reviewing it.

Maybe I can’t come up with anything to say about it because it’s just like every other paranormal YA novel out there right now? Granted, the whole draki idea is new but they’re basically described to be just like werewolves. Living in a pack with hierarchic structure which is lead by an alpha, displaying an extremely territorial behavior...yada yada yada...Ring a bell? Anyhow,
Katieb (MundieMoms)
The back of the ARC describes Firelight perfectly, "Mythical powers and irresistible passion ignite" to make Firelight one book that I was so enraptured with, I read it in one sitting. I've always been intrigued with the mythology of dragons, but I haven't read a book that made me really fall in love with them until I read Firelight. Sophie's characters and her world building hooked from page one and left me wishing her sequel was already out.

Firelight introduces a whole new character in the par
Josephine Angelini
I loved this book! I sat down on my bed with it and didn't get up until I finished! Sophie, you must give me the second one IMMEDIATELY!
Anila
Feb 05, 2011 Anila rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: FANS OF REALLY SHITTY ENDINGS. IF THERE ARE ANY. WHICH THERE AREN'T.
(Now with extra British swearing at the end!)

When I say that I just finished this book, I want you to understand- it's been about three minutes.
This does not mean that this book is OMGZ amazing. This is a measure of how righteously OUTRAGED I was at the ending of it.

I cannot even believe that anyone would think to write a book that goes doo, doo, doo, story story story EXCITEMEN- FULL STOP, sorry guys, better pre-order the sequel now.
Eff you, Sophie Jordan. That wasn't even at a lull in the act
~Tina~
May contain some spoilers

(3.5 Stars)

Jacinda is a Draki, who can shape-shift from human to Dragon. Uniquely gifted she is favored and adored amongst her Pride, but inside she's trapped and hates that she has to follow everyone's rules, not having the luxury of wanting anything for herself.
One morning, Jacinda breaks a rule and almost gets caught, almost revealing her people to hunters who seek there skin and bodies for there own gain and the Pride isn't happy about this.
Her mother fears for her
Jacob Proffitt
This book is full to the brim with stupid. Now, some of that I expected because it's clearly a YA angst novel. Jacinda is exactly the angsty teen Mary Sue you'd expect from the setup. All the hot, socially alpha boys love her but her life isn't that keen because all the girls hate her. Also, everybody is picking on her (except the hot boys she actually likes). Yadda yadda. Like I said, I knew that going in, so that wasn't the problem.

The problem is that everybody in the novel is stupid. Let me i
Kelly Hager
This is the first in a series.

Jacinda is a dragon (or, as her people call it, a draki). Dragons are thought to be mythical (although there are some who know they exist, and who hunt and kill them) but there are still some left. They live in prides and what most people don't know is that dragons can manifest as humans. Doing so for a long period of time can cause the draki part of themselves to wither and die; so can living in a desert climate.

After nearly getting killed by some hunters, Jacinda
Megan Fermo
Jan 31, 2012 Megan Fermo rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA addicts who really just want to read and get lost on whatever fantasy as long as it IS fantasy
Recommended to Megan by: A dear, poor friend.
Spoilers ahead!

We've all been sixteen, haven't we? We've all felt that unexplainable anger boiling inside of us, that resentment, the feeling that no one is the world understands, or cares. I know how it is to wake up in the morning only to fall back in bed, because you think no one is going to care whether you get up or not anyway. It's only natural. We all go through it.

But we grow up.

Page 45. That's precisely the page where I just stopped caring. I read on, of course, but I didn't truly care
Kmont
I feel a rant coming on, but I’ll do my best to tone that down. For one thing, that’s the entire book, in a nutshell, the blurb above. There’s a lot wrong, in this reader’s opinion, with this book, but the blurb is what happens and if you’re looking for depth of any kind – character, romance, plot – it’s not in this book. I’ve heard rumblings from various people in the industry or who follow these kinds of things, that this kind of young adult book isn’t being bought as much and published. Maybe ...more
missEvi [can't commit to a book]

OMG this girl really has some issues. Ok, I know that if I turned into a dragon I would have too, but enough with the whining! Fucking make up your mind about something.. anything..
across the pond b...: firelight 1 5 Jun 02, 2015 01:14AM
What do draki look like? 44 539 Mar 27, 2015 03:37PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Firelight 1 13 Feb 04, 2015 08:35PM
TeenReadClub: Januari: Ziel van vuur - Sophie Jordan 15 9 Feb 03, 2015 09:46AM
Will or Cassian? 75 293 Jan 24, 2015 05:09AM
  • Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • Entice (Need, #3)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
  • Enchanted Ivy
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • Voices of Dragons
  • Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
  • Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)
  • The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, #1)
  • 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Winging It (The Dragon Diaries, #2)
  • Mistwood (Mistwood, #1)
  • Tempest Rising (Tempest, #1)
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years
More about Sophie Jordan...

Firelight (3 books)
  • Vanish (Firelight, #2)
  • Hidden (Firelight, #3)
Vanish (Firelight, #2) Hidden (Firelight, #3) Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles, #1) Uninvited (Uninvited, #1) Tease (The Ivy Chronicles, #2)

11 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“His hand glides down my arm, folds over my hand. His fingers lace with mine, palms kissing. I can feel the fast thud of his heart through this single touch.” 161 likes
“You cold?' He chafes my arms. I haven't been cold since I moved here. This is something else. 'No. But you can put your arms around me anyway.” 156 likes