Killer Crab Cakes (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #4)

Killer Crab Cakes (Fresh-Baked Mystery #4)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In this bake-off, people get knocked off. The irresistible new entry in the national bestselling series.

When Phyllis?s cousin asks her to look after her Oak Knoll bed-and-breakfast for a few weeks, Phyllis jumps at the chance?mostly because the inn is located close to the annual Rockport, Texas, Just Desserts competition. Determined to beat her friendly rival and enjoy som...more
Published September 29th 2009 by NAL Trade (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Crab Cakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Crab Cakes

R.
This is my second "Fresh-Baked Mystery." Honestly, I find the series really odd. Here are some thoughts:

1. Why does Phyllis always talk about how she's going to go to Walmart? She's never going shopping anywhere other than Walmart. Is this a product endorsement? Walmart is the pits.

2. Phyllis often makes completely bizarre and unnecessary observations. One time, she describes a cute wall calendar in very explicit detail, and then says something like, "But I wasn't in the mood to notice cute thi...more
Connie Easlick
Phyllis is down at her cousin's bed and breakfast, helping out while she and her husband go to be with their new grand baby. Of course the rest of the gang want to tag along and have a vacation, too! While her and her friends are staying at the b&b, there is a death that turns out to be a murder. During the process of trying to figure that one out, there is another one. By the end, Phyllis is trying to thwart a third murder, when she finally figures out who the murderer is! She and Sam are a...more
Luffy Monkey D.
Cozy mysteries that score 3/5 are different from others. They are the ones to watch. There were many things to like about Killer Crab Cakes, one of them being the seamless way the usual suspects (and I use the term loosely) segue into the brand new background of Fulton. The pacing in this book was out of this world. Though this book could not reach lofty heights it had a lot of heart. The deaths, first by poison, then another by stabbing were solved apparently with much time, while in fact mere...more
Susan
The three retired teachers who live in her modern-day boarding house join Phyllis on the Texas Gulf Coast when she's called to temporarily take over her cousin's bed and breakfast. When first one, then a second of her guests dies, Phyllis worries about the damage that is being done to her cousin's business. But when the generally sympathetic local police pick as a suspect someone Phyllis is sure is innocent, she decides that she'll have to investigate herself. There doesn't seem to be a motive f...more
Amanda
It's early Autumn and Phyllis travels to Fulton, Texas to look after a Bed & Breakfast for her cousin with all her housemates in tow. Just happens to be another baking competition nearby. With all the characters at the B&B, there are certainly the proverbial fireworks to be shooting off. Seemingly unrelated murders in a fast-paced story that keeps you guessing until the end. Plenty of unexpected twists and turns as usual. Well researched location with historically accurate information th...more
Laura Salas
Amelia-Irene
Phyllis and her friends to to help Phylis' cousin out with her B & B while her cousin goes to help her daughter when she has her baby. While there, there's not one murder but two. Phyllis and friends have more experience than the local police with murder (5th book in series) so they start their own looking around. Again there are recipes at the end of the book that look good. I figured who the murderer was 1/2 way through the book, it was just how would they be brought to light. Interesting...more
Grey853
Lindsay
It was an ok book. About as good as the others in the series. This time Phyllis and her friends go to the Texas coast with her friends in tow to watch her cousins B&B, and of course someone dies and the guests want to leave. So Phyllis and Sam try to find out who really killed the guy so that her cousins business won't be damaged. I kind of suspected who the killer was because they seemed a little to friendly. And all the talk of crab cakes (even if they did kill someone) still sounded yummy...more
Betty
Cozy read ...... enjoyed the bed and breakfast / cooking / recipes entailed in the book; thought it took a little long to get through although it was a short book; my attention would wane and I would have to set it aside ....... solved the mystery about 2/3 through ..... but all in all a good read and will read more of her stuff. Enjoyed it taking place in Texas (Rockport in particular) and entailing the description of the area. Will be trying some of the recipes.
Catharine
My husband gave me this book for Christmas. While I'd really rather just choose my own reading material, I like that he tries. This one was a quick read, entertaining, but totally predictable. I'm not usually that good at solving mysteries, but this was a no-brainer. There are a few recipes included in the back, though, which might make it worth the few dollars it cost. I'll definitely try a couple of them.
Kirsten
Set in Texas in a bed and breakfast our mystery-solver is one of those old ladies who is very good at solving crimes. When we have two dead guests, the mystery really starts going, and all the time the old ladies are planning their best desserts to bake for the upcoming fair and dessert contest. It's sweet and fun, and makes me want to visit Corpus Christie as it is set near there.
Chris
People should start running when they see Phyllis coming near! lol
Like Jessica Fletcher and so many others....murder follows Phyllis...or should I say, murder jumps out and waves a flag!

This was a very enjoyable read...I actually laughed when Sam tapped the man and he fell in the water...of course, Sam did not know that he was already dead.

Kate
Another great book in this series. This one takes place at a B&B by the ocean. Phyllis & her friends have gone down to the coast to watch her cousin's business while her cousin visits her new grandson. When a guest is murdered Phyllis decides to figure out who did it before the B&B goes belly up on her watch! Very fun read w/ a clever ending.
Eileen
Interesting approach to include recipes in a book, which I always find interesting. Story line kept you intrigued and guessing as to "who done it." I'd be willing to read other books by this author.

I have plenty on my plate right now, but when things quiet down, I'll have to see if I can find some of her other books.
Nancy H
An okay mystery. This book is set in a bed and breakfast in Texas, and involves a murder of one of the guests, causing all of the other guests and staff to be suspects. A second murder takes place, and it is imperative that the friends who are subsituting for the owners find out who the killer is before the business is ruined.
Amber
I like these stories, but am ready to read something different. Although I have not guessed the murderer in this series, the storyline is getting predictible. Phyllis all of a sudden figures out who-done-it while doing random things like cooking or shopping. I need a fresh baked mystery break.
Terry Parrish
Compared to the last two that I read, this book was 100% better. It was a faster paced book without all the mental ruminations of the main character, Phyllis. The action was faster and definitely a better book all around. Would definitely recommend it to everyone who likes a good mystery.
Linda Smatzny
This is the fourth book in the Fresh Baked Mystery series. The main character, Phyllis Newsom, and her friends are in Rockport, Texas. Of course, murder happens and Phyllis tries to fit the pieces of the puzzle together. This series is about a group of friends who are retired teachers.
JudyG
I like Ms. Washburn's books...but, I have to confess I figured out, early-on, who the killer in this one was. I enjoyed her descriptions of the Gulf Coast and the people and I would love to steal "Sam" away from Phyllis !
Julie Derby
Fun read, enjoyed following Phyllis and Sam's latest adventure. And it's nice to read of a sleuth who isn't male and young, but a mature woman. If you like cozy mysteries, give this series a try.
ChrisGA
Phyllis and her boarders go to the Gulf coast to run a cousin's Bed and Breakfast for several weeks. Two dead bodies and a whole bunch of nasty characters. Didn't see the ending coming.
Lm Knizner
We are familiar with the Rockport / Fulton area in Texas and this book was great to read taking place in the area. Great story, great characters. Can't wait to read more from the author.
Ruth
Not my favorite cosy, but nothing wrong with it. The cookie recipe looks good - sort of orange slice cookies with no orange slices, but oatmeal, coconut and white choc. chips.
Melissa
What a "cozy" mystery book. I love that it takes place in a bed and breakfast and reading about all the yummy food really made me hungry. (except for the killer crab cakes)
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Cute cozy mystery set at the Texas Gulf Coast. I figured out who done it again too early. You think they'd be red herrings but nope a little too obvious at least for me.
KarenLana
I think I'm going to give up on this series, although I truly wanted to like it. The characters seem flat to me and I have a hard time caring about them or the plot.
Cathy Hendren
I enjoy following the characters though I figured out the murderer early on. I just could not come up with a reason for him/her doing the murders.
Elizabeth
This is a real page turner. You want to know who in the heck murdered Mr. McKenna. I enjoyed this book and I recommend it to others to read.
Danni
I really enjoy this series. I think these books are a lot of fun. I have one more to read and it is a christmas book so I think that I will wait.
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Death of a Country Fried Redneck (A Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #2)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • Crops and Robbers (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #3)
  • When the Cookie Crumbles (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • The Long Stitch Good Night (An Embroidery Mystery, #4)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1)
  • Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #15)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2)
  • An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1)
  • Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1) The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3) Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2) The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5) The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)