Start by marking “Changer” as Want to Read:
Changer

Changer (Athanor #1)

He is known as the Changer: a vagabond who slips in and out of myths and cultures, refusing to be pinned down to any one origin just as he refuses to be locked into any one shape - or name. Yet when a quest for vengeance forces him to shed animal form and seek out King Arthur, the Changer discovers that dangers threaten the timeless realm.
Mass Market Paperback, 500 pages
Published December 1st 1998 by Eos

To ask other readers questions about Changer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changer

Gilbert Stack
Mar 28, 2014 Gilbert Stack rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Jane Lindskold novel. In it she depicts a world of magical extremely-long-lived beings who have greatly influenced earth's history. Not all of these beings are human, but they are all interconnected to some level. Changer is the oldest such creature, having been born before creatures first left the oceans to walk upon the land. He's an extraordinary shapeshifter, as his name implies.

It is hard to speak too highly of this book. Myths and Legends walk the pages in very credible
Dayna
May 07, 2010 Dayna rated it really liked it
This novel accomplishes in plot what American Gods accomplished in spirit but missed the mark on in terms of action: the events of Changer (and its sequel), the adventure itself and the fascinating cast keep me re-reading this book each year. I find Lindskold to be a little lacking in terms of a strongly present voice-- which, to continue the comparison, Gaiman has in spades-- but she knows where she's going, and she's got great people along for the ride. I can't get over her feeling for the par ...more
Susan  Baratta
Jun 13, 2015 Susan Baratta rated it it was amazing
There was a foreword from the author, she wrote this book in the late 90's. So it's early urban fantasy and yet I found it unique regardless that I've read lots of urban fantasy in the past 7 years. I also found this book deceptively good. It's an incredibly smooth read, rich in characterization and effortless to read. I do think it got a smidge weaker toward the end but it in no way diminished the total impact. Wonderful reading experience.
Lynxie
I just can't handle the long-winded style of writing. It's driving me nuts. It's taking me so long to read a page because I keep editing it.

The idea sounds intriguing, but the writing style just can't keep my interest.

Not a good book for those who are sensitive to long-winded writers or books in need of an edit.
Jag
May 03, 2015 Jag rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Feels like a debut novel. Potential not entirely lived up to.
Eva Kristin
Oct 07, 2013 Eva Kristin rated it it was ok
This book started with a really good and interesting idea: The characters from myths and legends are real, and some of them still live among us. I’m sorry a story with so much potential didn’t occur to a better writer.

Jane Lindskold does a lot of things right, but she also does a lot of things wrong. To me, the worst fault was that she is awfully long winded. Sentences like “The King comes down to the kitchen, dressed casually in khaki trousers and a cotton button-down shirt, and finds Eddie se
Kerry
May 03, 2013 Kerry marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy, reread, 2013
I'm going to sadly call this one a DNF. I'm unhappy to do this as I remember loving this when it originally came out and I was so delighted to find it (and its sequel) in ebook form.

But, to be honest, I'm finding myself kind of bored. I like it when I read some, but once I put it down I find I have no urge to pick it up again. I think it's largely a case of "it's not you, it's me" as I'm struggling reading anything right now (damn ME/CFS) and I'm just not coping with the present tense.

It's a kin
Tabatha
Aug 06, 2009 Tabatha rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was fun and well written. It's a neat idea that there are immortals among us and everything mythological is real, but I couldn't help thinking that as a plot device it was a cheap ploy. Really you could put any cool character from any history in your book easily. That's not a bad thing, it just seemed to cool a device to be so easily achieved with an explanation of immortals. I would like to know more about the Changer and the Sea King and their early life in primo ...more
Amy
Jan 10, 2009 Amy rated it did not like it
I love Jane M. Lindskold, and Arthurian tales, and fantasy, but can tell that I am not in the right frame of mind to read this one now, nor will I be able to get through it in a timely fashion.

Someday, when the time is right, a copy of the book will fall in my path and I shall eagerly snatch it up and read it. Until then, I bid farewell to this copy, and say thank you to midwinter for including me on the ring. I look forward to hearing when others read the book.
Bri
May 27, 2012 Bri rated it liked it
Very interesting read. Present-tense narration is difficult for me to follow, but that's a personal preference. Jane Linskold gathered her impressive knowledge of world mythology and overlaps it in her story, creating mythical archetypes and setting them in the recent past (the present when the book was written). I'll add the sequel, Changer's Daughter, also titled Legends Walking, to my reading list.
Janelle
Feb 02, 2013 Janelle rated it it was ok
I got this book at a book exchange and I thought it was an interesting idea. This book was rather confusing in the beginning with trying to keep all of the characters/what characters they had been in the past. The idea of the book is a good one, but the execution was a little off for me. I felt like the story dragged on for a while and then it wrapped up very quickly in the end. While it was a good read, I don't know if I would recommend the book.
Moe  Shinola
Jan 25, 2011 Moe Shinola rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is about immortals who walk among us. Wait - don't run yet! It's nothing like books of this type that you've read. The story and characters are very original. They have motivations, relationships, rivalries, etc., that are not mere rehashes from characters in other books. The story is living proof that it has not, in fact all been done before. Highly recommended.
Mab Morris
Jun 23, 2016 Mab Morris rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. Many years later Jane Lindskold's writing is still so vivid there are scenes I feel as if I read yesterday. I can still hear the sounds of the characters, and picture scenes from the book. Fantastic writer!
Hana
Nov 12, 2007 Hana rated it really liked it
A very nice and interesting book about what if King Arthur's court were a bunch of immortals concealing their living selves as normal people in the present and having to deal with another immortal that is trying to discover the reason behind the deaths of his family. Very good book.
Jespera
I like the premise of this book, the legendary heros still walking among us. Haven't been compelled to read the sequal.
Dee
Oct 18, 2016 Dee rated it it was amazing
One of the better treatments of "immortals among us" that I've read.
Netchess
Dec 07, 2012 Netchess rated it it was amazing
Consistently engaging story of 'immortals' on earth. Great plotting, well-maintained suspense, engaging characters. What more can you ask for?
Dveith
Feb 15, 2013 Dveith rated it liked it
it was a good story, just not absorbing like her Firekeeper series.
Jeannine
Nov 03, 2009 Jeannine rated it it was amazing
Loved this!
Simone Cooper
Apr 02, 2008 Simone Cooper rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite modern fantasy or urban fantasy novels. The strong characters resonate both as real people and as the mythic archetypes they carry.
Jelyla
May 07, 2009 Jelyla rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I will reread every few years. I love it because it is one story but there are multiple parts to it.
James Freeman
May 19, 2012 James Freeman rated it really liked it
Surprised at how well I liked this book. Compared to American Gods it is a simple story but I liked it better.
Lisa Murray
Jul 19, 2014 Lisa Murray rated it really liked it
think Gaiman's American Gods…fun look at mythincal figures fighting to survive in an environmentally unstable and technologically advanced present
Meg
Jun 13, 2007 Meg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-sff
Urban fantasy/magic realism. It took me a while to get into it for some reason, but it's stuck with me.
Susan
Oct 20, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback, 2001, 2016
I love these 2 books... wish they'd re-issue them in hardback with pretty covers (Julie Bell, anyone?)

latest re-read 6/7/11
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2010
Connie
Connie rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Lithle
Lithle rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Jeanene
Jeanene rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
  • Waterdance
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Lancelot (Knights Of The Round Table, #1)
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light
  • Kingdom of Summer
  • Blood and Iron (Promethean Age, #1)
  • Merlin's Booke
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters, #1)
  • The Eye of Night
  • The Secret History of Moscow
  • Ariadne:  A Novel of Ancient Crete
  • The Wizard of Santa Fe (Wizard, #6)
  • Under My Skin (Wildlings, #1)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Remembering Raquel
Jane Lindskold is the author of more than twenty published novels, including the six volume Firekeeper Saga (beginning with Through Wolf’s Eyes), Child of a Rainless Year (a contemporary fantasy set in Las Vegas, New Mexico), and The Buried Pyramid (an archeological adventure fantasy set in 1880's Egypt).

Lindskold is also the author of the “Breaking the Wall” series, which begins with Thirteen Orp
More about Jane Lindskold...

Athanor (2 books)
  • Legends Walking (Athanor, #2)