Start by marking “Changer” as Want to Read:
Changer

Changer (Athanor #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  23 reviews
He is known as the Changer: a vagabond who slips in and out of myths and cultures, refusing to be pinned down to any one origin just as he refuses to be locked into any one shape - or name. Yet when a quest for vengeance forces him to shed animal form and seek out King Arthur, the Changer discovers that dangers threaten the timeless realm.
Mass Market Paperback, 500 pages
Published December 1st 1998 by Eos

To ask other readers questions about Changer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changer

The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
337th out of 1,539 books — 5,489 voters
The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffHouse of Blades by Will WightHere Lies Death by Harlan VaughnThe Scourge by Roberto CalasThe Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip
Best Fantasy Books Under the Radar
145th out of 1,121 books — 1,515 voters

More lists with this book...

Gilbert M.
This is my favorite Jane Lindskold novel. In it she depicts a world of magical extremely-long-lived beings who have greatly influenced earth's history. Not all of these beings are human, but they are all interconnected to some level. Changer is the oldest such creature, having been born before creatures first left the oceans to walk upon the land. He's an extraordinary shapeshifter, as his name implies.

It is hard to speak too highly of this book. Myths and Legends walk the pages in very credible
Susan  Baratta
There was a foreword from the author, she wrote this book in the late 90's. So it's early urban fantasy and yet I found it unique regardless that I've read lots of urban fantasy in the past 7 years. I also found this book deceptively good. It's an incredibly smooth read, rich in characterization and effortless to read. I do think it got a smidge weaker toward the end but it in no way diminished the total impact. Wonderful reading experience.
Dayna
This novel accomplishes in plot what American Gods accomplished in spirit but missed the mark on in terms of action: the events of Changer (and its sequel), the adventure itself and the fascinating cast keep me re-reading this book each year. I find Lindskold to be a little lacking in terms of a strongly present voice-- which, to continue the comparison, Gaiman has in spades-- but she knows where she's going, and she's got great people along for the ride. I can't get over her feeling for the par ...more
Jag
May 03, 2015 Jag rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Feels like a debut novel. Potential not entirely lived up to.
Lynxie
I just can't handle the long-winded style of writing. It's driving me nuts. It's taking me so long to read a page because I keep editing it.

The idea sounds intriguing, but the writing style just can't keep my interest.

Not a good book for those who are sensitive to long-winded writers or books in need of an edit.
Eva Kristin
This book started with a really good and interesting idea: The characters from myths and legends are real, and some of them still live among us. I’m sorry a story with so much potential didn’t occur to a better writer.

Jane Lindskold does a lot of things right, but she also does a lot of things wrong. To me, the worst fault was that she is awfully long winded. Sentences like “The King comes down to the kitchen, dressed casually in khaki trousers and a cotton button-down shirt, and finds Eddie se
Kerry
Sep 09, 2013 Kerry marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, reread, fantasy, ebooks
I'm going to sadly call this one a DNF. I'm unhappy to do this as I remember loving this when it originally came out and I was so delighted to find it (and its sequel) in ebook form.

But, to be honest, I'm finding myself kind of bored. I like it when I read some, but once I put it down I find I have no urge to pick it up again. I think it's largely a case of "it's not you, it's me" as I'm struggling reading anything right now (damn ME/CFS) and I'm just not coping with the present tense.

It's a kin
Lisa Murray
think Gaiman's American Gods…fun look at mythincal figures fighting to survive in an environmentally unstable and technologically advanced present
Tabatha
I really enjoyed this book, it was fun and well written. It's a neat idea that there are immortals among us and everything mythological is real, but I couldn't help thinking that as a plot device it was a cheap ploy. Really you could put any cool character from any history in your book easily. That's not a bad thing, it just seemed to cool a device to be so easily achieved with an explanation of immortals. I would like to know more about the Changer and the Sea King and their early life in primo ...more
bookczuk
I love Jane M. Lindskold, and Arthurian tales, and fantasy, but can tell that I am not in the right frame of mind to read this one now, nor will I be able to get through it in a timely fashion.

Someday, when the time is right, a copy of the book will fall in my path and I shall eagerly snatch it up and read it. Until then, I bid farewell to this copy, and say thank you to midwinter for including me on the ring. I look forward to hearing when others read the book.
Janelle Stavig
I got this book at a book exchange and I thought it was an interesting idea. This book was rather confusing in the beginning with trying to keep all of the characters/what characters they had been in the past. The idea of the book is a good one, but the execution was a little off for me. I felt like the story dragged on for a while and then it wrapped up very quickly in the end. While it was a good read, I don't know if I would recommend the book.
Bri
Very interesting read. Present-tense narration is difficult for me to follow, but that's a personal preference. Jane Linskold gathered her impressive knowledge of world mythology and overlaps it in her story, creating mythical archetypes and setting them in the recent past (the present when the book was written). I'll add the sequel, Changer's Daughter, also titled Legends Walking, to my reading list.
Moe  Shinola
This book is about immortals who walk among us. Wait - don't run yet! It's nothing like books of this type that you've read. The story and characters are very original. They have motivations, relationships, rivalries, etc., that are not mere rehashes from characters in other books. The story is living proof that it has not, in fact all been done before. Highly recommended.
Hana
A very nice and interesting book about what if King Arthur's court were a bunch of immortals concealing their living selves as normal people in the present and having to deal with another immortal that is trying to discover the reason behind the deaths of his family. Very good book.
Simone
This is one of my favorite modern fantasy or urban fantasy novels. The strong characters resonate both as real people and as the mythic archetypes they carry.
Netchess
Consistently engaging story of 'immortals' on earth. Great plotting, well-maintained suspense, engaging characters. What more can you ask for?
Jelyla
This is one of those books that I will reread every few years. I love it because it is one story but there are multiple parts to it.
Susan
I love these 2 books... wish they'd re-issue them in hardback with pretty covers (Julie Bell, anyone?)

latest re-read 6/7/11
Jespera
I like the premise of this book, the legendary heros still walking among us. Haven't been compelled to read the sequal.
James Freeman
Surprised at how well I liked this book. Compared to American Gods it is a simple story but I liked it better.
Meg
Urban fantasy/magic realism. It took me a while to get into it for some reason, but it's stuck with me.
Dveith
it was a good story, just not absorbing like her Firekeeper series.
Karen
Karen  marked it as to-read
Garnetvengeance
Garnetvengeance marked it as to-read
Mecca
Mecca is currently reading it
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Sara G
Sara G marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Blood and Iron (Promethean Age, #1)
  • The Eye of Night
  • Lancelot
  • Kingdom of Summer
  • The Ring of Allaire (Winter King's War, #1)
  • Traphis: A Wizard's Tale
  • The Road to Corlay
  • The Secret History of Moscow
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters, #1)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • The Summer Country (Summer Country, #1)
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • The Silent Tower (Windrose Chronicles, #1)
  • Gossamer Axe
  • The Shadowed Path
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
Jane Lindskold is the author of more than twenty published novels, including the six volume Firekeeper Saga (beginning with Through Wolf’s Eyes), Child of a Rainless Year (a contemporary fantasy set in Las Vegas, New Mexico), and The Buried Pyramid (an archeological adventure fantasy set in 1880's Egypt).

Lindskold is also the author of the “Breaking the Wall” series, which begins with Thirteen Orp
More about Jane Lindskold...

Athanor (2 books)
  • Legends Walking (Athanor, #2)
Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1) Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2) The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3) Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4) Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)