Start by marking “Ich Jagte Hannibal Lecter” as Want to Read:
Ich Jagte Hannibal Lecter

Ich Jagte Hannibal Lecter

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  3,268 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
This book is an overview of the career of the FBI man who nearly single-handedly created the system for personality profiling of violent offenders. If there's a big-time multiple murderer from about 1950 until now who hasn't been interviewed by Robert Ressler, he probably refused the honor. Indispensable reading for serial killer mavens, and better written than John Dougla ...more
314 pages
Published (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Ich Jagte Hannibal Lecter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ich Jagte Hannibal Lecter

Rose
This book contains graphic descriptions of horrific crimes, photos of dead bodies at crime scenes, plus a lot of information that would be quite useful to killers wanting to fool those hunting them.

That being said, I find it slightly disturbing that my copy of this book, which has been so well-read that it is falling to pieces, has come through inter-library loan from my local prison. My county doesn't have any other copies of this book.

Some helpful notations have been added by a previous reader
Jackie
Mar 01, 2010 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting enough book, but I found myself frequently distracted by the desire to make an armchair diagnosis of the author himself, who spent a good 10% of the book either patting himself on the back via cheesy quotes from letter of commendation, or digressing into the settling of petty scores over past slights. (For example, he spends a good page-and-a-half explaining why he was late for his orientation as a new FBI agent, why it wasn't his fault, and why the superior who called him on it w ...more
Andre Dumas
Aug 04, 2014 Andre Dumas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I literally could not put this book down..AND at the same time wanted to read it slowly so that it would never end. For a lot of people this will seem weird as the book is very gruesome and terrifying but I just found it pretty damn interesting.

Whoever Fights Monsters details Robert Ressler's career with the FBI in his revolutionary quest to fine tune the process of profiling serial killers. If you're not familiar with Ressler then just know this--he actually coined the term 'serial killer' He w
Nancy Brady
Mar 27, 2016 Nancy Brady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy and fascinating...the tales told from the perspective of Robert K. Ressler, an FBI agent who tracked down multiple serial killers by profiling them. His interviews and insights into the minds of those convicted of serial killings. Knowing the difference between organized and disorganized serial killers was truly insightful.

This took me months to read as the shudder factor was too strong, and I had to look away and read something light in between chapter. Deciding on the rating was diffic
Casey
Jul 24, 2007 Casey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty interesting. About a man that made a study of serial killers (in fact he's the one that coined the phrase).

He breaks down the different kinds of killers; organized or disorganized, and what it takes to fit into each catigory. He goes through some case studies and bits of the interviews, how the men will still try to control and manipulate.

It's and older book and I found myself checking up on some of the guys and what's happening with them now.
Estcavi
Jul 12, 2016 Estcavi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
libro absolutamente brutal. Nos adentramos en la mentalidad de asesinos en serie, y disecciona sus antecedentes familiares, sus sexualidad, los abusos que ha podido sufrir durante su infancia, trazando las causas que pueden llevar a cometer esos crímenes atroces.
al final llegas a la conclusión de que se siguen una serie de patrones.
me ha parecido muy interesante y no podía dejar de leer.
Jessica
Woefully dated opinions and attitudes abound this book.
He utilizes the completely ridiculous body type analysis and even says that while this method of psychology/physiology is no longer considered valid he feels it has it’s value.
He spends a lot of pages blaming mothers for creating the serial killers he talks about in this book, while he does briefly touch upon the fathers role it is clear that he feels it is the female’s duty and responsibility to raise a successful male child and that the
Rachel
Aug 19, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in true crime and/or serial killers, psychology
Recommended to Rachel by: amazon
this was a pretty fascinating book. there is a lot of information on individual serial killers and their stories, from the eyes of the man who started the behavioral science unit within the fbi. although sometimes he writes in a little bit of a big-headed way, the information and stories he presents are very interesting to read. the main problem is that it is outdated: it was published in 1991, and he talks about things such as jeffery dahmer, wh wasn't killed in prison until 1994, and also abou ...more
Kai
Mar 30, 2013 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While some aspects of this work have become outdated in the twenty-odd years since it was published, it still deserves its spot as one of the foundational works in criminal profiling. Ressler offers almost unsettling levels of insight into criminal minds without any of the sensationalism that creeps into many criminology works.
Zach Fortier
Jul 20, 2013 Zach Fortier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Robert Ressler. If you want to understand the basics of what makes a serial killer become a serial killer. this is the book for you. No you wont become a profiler after you have finished the book, but you will gain a greater understanding of the phenomenon. I highly recommend this book.
Steve Parcell
Simply astounding insight in to the mind of a FBI profiler who helped catch guys like Bundy. Yet Ressler is a fascinating individual who although emotionally affected by what he has seen and who he has interviewed still maintains an aura of calm. I can imagine him chatting to a Bundy or a Dahmer as he has discussing murder rather like you would be chatting to a friend. Awesome
David
Oct 07, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this book is over 20 years old, it's still an excellent read and a look into the real life of an FBI profiler. Ressler is the man who coined the term "Serial Killer" and helped create the ViCAP program. His insights into serial killers both well-known and more obscure are fascinating, as is his portrait of working for the FBI.
Rebecca McNutt
May 16, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoever Fights Monsters was disturbing as heck but incredibly detailed and well-written, definitely worth reading if you're a fan of true crime, behavioral analysis, police procedural or psychology.
Chrissy Daly
Oct 04, 2012 Chrissy Daly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books

Interesting to read encounters of one man's tale of sitting face to face with serial killers. The inner monologue as well as the actual interviews are interesting. My favorite part is when he goes to meet Ed Kemper!
Stephanie Gordon
Me gustó mucho. Está muy interesante aunque sí me dio escalofríos literalmente. Lo que más me gustó es que realmente te ayuda a entender más o menos cómo funciona la mente del asesino en serie.
Jill
Feb 18, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one much better than the books by John Douglas. this guy comes across much more realistic and he's humble.
Thomas Strömquist
A bit self-centered and probably showing the author in a very positive light, but other than that very absorbing and interesting. read it if at all interested in the subject matter.
Mary
Jun 07, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I've read on serial killers. I had the opportunity to hear the author lecture at UGA, and he is the one who invented phychological profiling, so it is interesting and infomative.
Linda
Dec 09, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Studying serial killers makes a lot of sense if we want to do things that will avoid making more of them.
Andrea
Dec 12, 2007 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant man!
All of his books are excellent.
Jen Whittaker
Jan 11, 2015 Jen Whittaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Read it on a flight across the country. Great insight Into criminology.
Kate
A friend recommended this book a few years ago, and I've had my eye out for it since. Finally found it in a used bookstore a few weeks ago.

So. I definitely slept with the bedroom door locked while I read this. Similar to Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit, as I recall it, but more coherent. Will appeal to those who, like me, have a morbid interest in serial killers. Also kind of a cautionary tale--"don't trust anyone" is the basic moral. The book was very informative, and the a
Lis
Oct 30, 2016 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro en sí es interesante pero bajo mi punto de vista el autor trata de sobresalir demasiado constantemente. Empecé 'Dentro del monstruo' con la intención de entender cómo funciona la mente de asesinos en serie: John Wayne Gacy y Jeffrey Dahmer ocupan dos de los capítulos de este libro que, en cambio, reseña varios casos más de diversos países. Creo que a la narración le sobra primera persona y recuento de méritos y obra. No dudo que Ressler sea un gran psicólogo forense, la prueba es que ha ...more
Chiara Deathsy
Despite the insights offered in this book about some Serial Killers, their methods and their complex personalities, the book did not give any valuable description about how the job of a profiler is structured.

The author stresses that criminal profiling does not follow checklists or strict methods, and relies more on statistics and facts gained from the analysis on known cases.

Although I found the writing style pleasing and enjoyed reading, I realized pretty soon that I was not going to find mu
Rodrigo
Si tratamos de no tomar en cuenta los autoelogios, los extensos párrafos dedicados a dejar claro lo necesario, inteligente, profesional y acertado que fue el autor al dar su opinión (que siempre le han casi suplicado de todas partes del mundo, también lo deja claro), y las partes que dedica a dar excusas por las cosas que debió hacer de manera diferente -lo que resulta ser una buena parte del libro-, esta obra resulta muy interesante y, por momentos, inquietante. Ressler, además de autoalabarse ...more
Katie Hoffman
Oct 20, 2016 Katie Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must for fans of true crime and anyone with an interest in history of the FBI. Parts where author congratulates self on most things is pretty laughable. Stories are horrifying - which is probably what made it a page turner. Give yourself some fluff to read after bc it will make you look over your shoulder, lock your doors, and sleep uneasy. Would be great if there were updates to some cases since it's dated.
John Kirkwood
Dec 13, 2016 John Kirkwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hard, hard book to digest but every bit as gripping as if you were along for the gruesome ride. I learned a lot. Probably should give it 5 stars but have to hold back merely because of the subject matter.
Amanda Morris
Nov 02, 2016 Amanda Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out really strong for me and then had fits and starts. Overall I recommend it if you are interested in the profile of the typical serial killer, but less so if you are interested in forensics or the actual stories of the how the killers were caught.
Katy St. Clair
Very dated because so much has changed since his time, what with computers and fancy stuff like that. But it was interesting enough to plod through.
Dec 09, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Interesting story of a man that was a pioneer in the science of criminal profiling.
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide And The Criminal Mind
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • Journey Into Darkness
  • Signature Killers
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes
  • The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • Inside the Criminal Mind
  • Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters
  • The Last Victim: A True-Life Journey into the Mind of the Serial Killer
  • The Serial Killer Files: The Who, What, Where, How, and Why of the World's Most Terrifying Murderers
  • Cries Unheard: Why Children Kill: The Story of Mary Bell