I Have Lived in the Monster: A Report From The Abyss

I Have Lived in the Monster: A Report From The Abyss

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Before Robert Ressler coined the term serial killer, the crimes committed by these sociopaths were known as stranger murders. Set apart from all other murders, they are the most difficult to solve: where there is no connection between murderer and victim, nor between on victim and the next, there is no way to fathom the identity of the perpetrator. Since Ressler's retireme...more
Published May 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about I Have Lived in the Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have Lived in the Monster

Catten
Following his first book, Whoever Fights Monsters, Ressler's second book looks at more killers, in particular, serial killers.

Serial killer. These two words intrigue many people.

Once called stranger murders because of the lack of connection between victim and killer, this type of crime has become the popular topic of books, movies, and conversation. People fear the randomness and unpredictability of the serial killer. A victim is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But there is a victimolo...more
Zach Fortier
Jul 20, 2013 Zach Fortier rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of serial killer stories
Shelves: keeper
I have read all of resslers works, If you would like a real look into the FBI's serial unit. this is the work to read. It is not fo rthe faint of heart and it answered many of my questions. why it only has a 3.7 rating here is a mystery. It is an amazing book to read.
Beki
This was an interesting read, albeit not as interesting as Ressler's first book, Whoever Fights Monsters.

The focus this time is more on international crimes than domestic ones, and the cases covered are from Ressler's post-FBI consulting rather than his in bureau investigations. While this does allow coverage of some lesser known/media-exploited crimes; overall, I found these cases less satisfying both in a cultural and a psychological context than his bureau investigations have been ... perhaps...more
Cindy
Written by an ex FBI agent who is the world's most famous explorer of the serial murderer's mind. Pretty interesting. I especially liked the chapter about the Japanese foreign exchange student on his way to a Halloween party, who stopped at the wrong house and was shot to death. I mean, I didn't LIKE it - it is an excellent example of anecdotal evidence for gun control. There are also some interesting cases where the author (who was a detective supervisor in the army's criminal investigation div...more
Jim
While there was some interesting information, I wasn't really sure where it was trying to go and it felt more like an excuse for the author to stroke his ego and lash out at critics or others who misunderstood or misrepresented him, which is okay, but I didn't find it fun to read. A lot I was familiar with already. Obviously the guy is well known and an expert in his field, and this may have been just a quicky shot at making some money, but it isn't the best book on the subject I have tried.
Beth
I have read almost of all of John Douglas' books, so I figured I would like this one too, since Robert Ressler was in the same unit, at the same time, with Douglas. Ressler's tales are interesting, but his constant whining and ego-stroking, make this read incredibily frustrating. I found myself wishing that he would stop talking about himself and explaint he processes in which he develops a profile and catches the criminal. I don't think I'll be reading any more books by him.
Rob Tripp
Mass murder in Japan, by sarin gas, intimate conversations with notorious serial killers, the mechanics of profiling - there's plenty of insider revelations here. I came away with new insight – the knowledge that serial/mass killers are impossible to pigeon-hole or stereotype and that we are still struggling to understand what motivates them and how to stop them.
Tom
An account of Ressler's Career in the FBI's behavioral science unit, and his work pursuing the nation's worst serial killers. Ressler was a cohort of John Douglas. Reading this book, and some of Douglas' work, I am struck by how egotistical these guys are. I guess they have to be, to deal with the kinds of crimes they deal with.
Valerie
I had an obsession with this subject for a while so I read everything I could. This is a must read for anyone interessted in serial killers. Beyond the movie stereotype to real people. It's hard to believe they exist in the same world as us as they are so out there they seem fictional, but they are very real and very complex.
Mari Stroud
Sexual Homicide is an incredible book, useful to everyone who has an interest in the psychology of crime. I Have Lived in the Monster is Ressler picking fights with imaginary enemies and preening for the camera. I didn't think anyone could actually have a bigger ego than Douglas, yet there he stands.
Melinda Elizabeth
I think that this book hasn't held up too well under the strain of years of research and theories into criminality. It seems tired and dated, and also a little self indulgent on the authors part. Best bit was not the theorizing, but the interviews with serial killers Gacy and Dhamer.
Jim
Mr Ressler is apparently quite good at what he does and doesn't mind telling you that at every opportunity. The book was a disappointment; the author didn't have much in the way of new material and resorted to including excerpts of interviews with serial killers as filler.
Scubabarb
I quit reading this one after about 100 pages. Although I love books about serial killers, this one included a lot of information I already read/heard about.
Mirna Lorena
Boring... It seems like he thinks a lot of himself...I like reading about killers but i couldn't read this book a easily as others, its too boring....
Courtney Robley
This book is great if you are interested in serial killers and the interviews in this book are great. Also the stories are very detailed and interesting.
PJ
Mar 09, 2008 PJ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of True Crime
I am a fan of true crime and the psychology of criminals and those who track them down. This is a worthwhile, somewhat brain candy, read.
A.J. Aalto
An excellent read for anyone who wants to understand the psychology of the serial killer, includes interviews.
Edwina Hall Callan
Another fascinating look into the minds of madmen ... just don't look too deep or they will give you nightmares.
Danielle
Okay, so it was close by the chair I sit in to feed the baby. So I read it. Twisted minds....
Felicity
Jan 24, 2010 Felicity rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Felicity by: Uni friend.
A really good book if you are into the subject...Ressler tells it simply and it is easy to read.
Don
Interesting stuff if you can stomach Ressler's vainglorious personality.
Amber L
Great book with fascinating interviews.
Jenny
I'm not impressed with this book.
Naiomiwm
Naiomiwm marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • Journey Into Darkness
  • Dark Dreams: A Legendary FBI Profiler Examines  Homicide and the Criminal Mind
  • Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • The A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • The Jeffrey Dahmer Story: An American Nightmare
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell
  • Sleep In Heavenly Peace
Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives Justice is Served Ich Jagte Hannibal Lecter State of Mind of Pleasure Homicide - From Note of FBI Psychological Analysis Official (Sexual Homicide Pattern and Motives)