Start by marking “Dark Dreams (Commander Jana Matinova, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Dreams (Commander Jana Matinova, #2)

Dark Dreams (Commander Jana Matinova #2)

Prudent Jana and impetuous Sofia were best friends when they were schoolmates. One day Sofia approached a man in a car when she shouldn’t have and ended up being raped by a nefarious Communist Party bigwig. Jana pursued the culprit’s car, identified him, and vowed someday to bring him to justice.

Now Jana is a commander in the Slovak police force and Sofia, having made her
Published July 1st 2009 by Soho Crime (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Dreams

Shonna Froebel
Jan 05, 2013 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
This police mystery is based in Slovakia, mainly in and around Bratislava. Jana Matinova is a police commander, a lone female at that level. Her best friend from childhood, Sofia, has recently entered politics and become involved in something Jana warned her against. When Jana returns home from work one evening and finds an enormous diamond hanging in her living room, she wonders whether it is related to Sofia, or she is being set up for something.
Jana has a good relationship with her boss, Trok
Larry
Jun 26, 2011 Larry rated it really liked it
The third of the four Commander Jana Matinova mysteries is a police procedural set in Slovakia. The book opens with two crimes--a murder in Nepal and a mass bombing of a religious assemblage in Mumbai, India, but other crimes soon follow in Slovakia and the Ukraine.Jana's childhood friend, Sofia, a rising political star, is in the middle of a political scandal, a group of hardcore criminals is being stalked by professional killers, and Jana is in the middle, both as a police investigator and as ...more
Scott K
My interest in reading 'Dark Dreams' the 2nd in the Jana Matinova was low to say the least but when I saw the books on the top of my list were unavailable from the library I decided to go with it. I'm glad I did. I really felt more connected to Jana's character and enjoyed the relationship she had with her superior Trokan more so then I did in 'Siren of the Waters' the first in the Matinova which was one of the few positives I found in the 1st book.

The setting in mostly Eastern European countrie
Catherine Woodman
This is the second book with Jara as the protagonist--she is very appelaing in that she is a post-Soviet Eastern Europe realist that you can beleive in. Having been briefly to Bratislava, I so not think the bleakness is over sold, and the startk difference between the Czech Republic and Slovakia is really amazing, and I think well represented here--the proximity to Vienna and Buda pest is remarkably close but the scene is remarkably different. So the backdrop is appealingly different and convinc ...more
Rachel
Aug 15, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
I am on a tear reading mysteries/thrillers etc. that are often set outside the United States. Dark Dreams is the 2nd in the Jana Matinova series and is just as compelling as the first book. If you have any passion for or interest in Central Europe you will find this series good reading but that is not a prerequisite for enjoyment.
Alesia
Sep 05, 2010 Alesia rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
I really like the main character Jana Matinova who is a woman police commander in Bratislava. Good setup of a fairly complex plot but a little messy tying up things in the end. Second book of the series.
Marika
Jan 14, 2017 Marika rated it liked it
Coming from Slovakia and knowing a real person (kind-of) resemebling Jana, I must say it was a good read. The story had a good pace and even though it seemed to be very fictional in some parts, it was entertaining and made me consider reading other Genelin's books with Jana.
Alexis
Aug 03, 2011 Alexis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diane
Jana Matinova is my hero! A fearless seasoned police detective who approaches her job professionally, dealing with department politics, incompetent and subversive co-workers and evil scary villains. Unlike so many fictional detectives she calls for backup when she goes into a dangerous situation. She doesnt depend on a boyfriend to rescue her. She's the one that solves the crises with insight, logic and compassion.
Matinova also happens to be a grandmother with complex family and personal relati
Gary Van Cott
Aug 08, 2013 Gary Van Cott rated it liked it
I guess I am a little more critical than most people who have posted about this book. Yes, Jana, the main character is likable and that is a good thing. However, the timeline for her life that was presented in the first book and alluded to here, doesn't make sense any time after about 1998. (She would be too old if these books took place when they were published.) The criminal conspiracy that was the basis of this book is improbable and many aspects of it were never really explained.
Louise
Jan 12, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Really enjoying the series written by Michael Genelin about has main character, Jana, who you can't help but like. Interesting also is the setting - eastern europe. I read his third book in this series and so enjoyed that went back to the beginning. And yes the next book I will read is his most recent, Requiem for A Gypsy. Can't wait to find out what Jana confronts next!!
Peter A
The Soho Mystery series is mostly great! This book is no exception. In fact it is one of the better mysteries I read this year. The situation is an honest, hard working cop in a partially corrupt system. This was well written, very fast paced, with some nice twists

I look forward to reading another book by this author, which is on the bookcase by the bed
Doug
Apr 14, 2010 Doug added it
Political mystery that takes place in Slovakia but finds action in Nepal, Switzerland, Hungry, Ukraine, Vienna and other locations. Jana Matinova, a commander in the Slovakia police force. I liked the characters and the description of the interaction between the police agencies of the various countries and the problems encountered between them.
Ann Tonks
I don't always worry about whether a male has created a female lead or vice versa but I suspect that this might be what's behind my failure to engage with this novel. It's an unusual police-procedural - set in Slovakia - but it felt somewhat forced and therefore unbelievable.
Dana Woodaman
Feb 13, 2010 Dana Woodaman rated it really liked it
A cracking good mystery set in Slovakia - interesting characters and exotic locales. Another great piece of mystery fiction that also gives a great sense of place, in a part of the world I know little about
John Machata
Sep 19, 2010 John Machata rated it it was amazing
What more could one want in a crime fiction? Engaging characters. Corrupt politicians. Brutal criminals. Infighting among police. Plausible plot twists. Interesting settings. One negative- Genelin occasionally chooses words proving English is not his first language.
Elisabeth
May 08, 2011 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Once I got used to the pacing and writing style of the author I really enjoyed the story and main character.
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Joseph Readdy
Joseph Readdy rated it really liked it
May 01, 2013
James T
James T rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2010
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Martina
Martina rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2010
April Hiscock
April Hiscock rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Terri Wino
Terri Wino rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Julie Teichholz
Julie Teichholz rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Hester
Hester rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Genelin, a graduate of UCLA and the UCLA Law School, has served in the LA District Attorney's Office and the US Department of Justice in Central Europe. He has written for film and has been an adviser to television series. He now lives with his wife and daughter in Paris.

Series:
* Commander Jana Matinova
More about Michael Genelin...

Commander Jana Matinova (5 books)
  • Siren of the Waters (Commander Jana Matinova, #1)
  • The Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova, #3)
  • Requiem for a Gypsy (Commander Jana Matinova, #4)
  • For the Dignified Dead (Commander Jana Matinova, #5)