The Burning (Companion, #3)

The Burning (Companion #3)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,265 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Award-winning, bestselling author Susan Squires brings you into a world of erotic temptation that comes alive at night and thrives on our darkest secrets and longings. Take the journey to an unforgettable place in the heart of darkness and desire...

A FORBIDDEN TEMPTATION...
It is 1821, and all who know the beautiful, mysterious Ann Van Helsing believe she is insane. Yet Ann...more
Published April 4th 2006 by St. Martin's

Kathrynn
This was horrible! I read it several years ago, but I remember a lot of it. Is that a good thing? Get ready. This one was more of an abusive erotic book. What a whacked out theme! Here goes:

Stephen is a vampire, in training to be a "great vampire hunter." His culture used sexual frustration/release to build upon this "greatness." There were three sisters who kept Stephen chained to a cement bed and had sex with him--I forget how long...years? Ugh! There is an awful "greasy" splat on the wall whe...more
Julie (Mom2lnb)
Dec 17, 2013 Julie (Mom2lnb) rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of Dark or Historical PNR Romance, Tortured Heroes
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" Susan Squires has done it again with yet another story in the Companion series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Ms. Squires has a lyrical writing style that I find very beautiful. She also knows how to create heroes and heroines who are imperfect yet highly relatable, starring in character-driven stories in which true love and sensuous passion overcome the torments of the past. In some ways, I'm surprised I haven't heard more about this series, because I've been tho...more
Christy
Pixelinchen
Melody
This is the second book I read of Squires, I didn't read the books in order but given the high expectations I had from the previous book I read (One with the Shadows) this one was a huge let down for me. Not at all what I expected to get. I felt Squires was focusing too much on the flashbacks and memories Stephen had of the torture he endured by the three Vampires which got to be too much at times. I mean I don't mind it but to a certain point--- and if it's necessary, which I didn't think it wa...more
Dangermousie
Wow. Just wow. I gave this book two stars for the sheer gonzo insanity of the set-up, in which our hero, a vampire who offs misbehaving vamps, achieves his superpowers by controlling and denying his ejaculations. No, I am not making this up - giant chunks of the book involve some seriously serious (and graphic) BDSM training of him by three ladyvamps so he'd be able to be horny and yet not achieve orgasm, which he can then channel into power. If you are into dudes being branded or made to jerk o...more
Bitten_by_Books
Stephan Sincai is the tortured hero (and I do mean tortured) trying to atone for his sins. Because of his past, intimacy with anyone could be fatal. Ms. Squires does the most exquisite torture I have ever read.

Ann Van Helsing cannot touch another being without being overwhelmed by every facet of their life. But when she finds Stephen alone and bleeding, she helps him. In an instant, she knows everything about him and his kind...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban F...more
Marina
I give this 3.5-4.0 stars.It was a smooth read.Nicely paced. Slightly twisted erotic regency romance. I am pleased with the happy ending. I hope there will be books about some interesting characters that appeared in this one.

If you would like to get this book please check out booksfreeswap.com.It is available for swap!
Vulpes2000
I quite enjoyed reading this novel. Though it was not the first in the series, i wasn't left wondering what was going on. I didn't even realize that there was a novel written before this one. I liked Ann's character and how she developed into a strong women. The sex scenes were hot and steamy.
Cristina Contilli
"Nello sguardo di Stephen c'erano meraviglia, sollievo e pace. Lui l'amava. (...) Ann gli stava chiedendo di credere in lei abbastanza da permetterle di amarlo."

Saga rosa paranormale carina, ma non nelle mie corde... preferisco gli storici ai paranormali perciò l'ho letta e scambiata...

Jaime
The main girl's last name is Van Helsing. Hmmm.... the idea is for the story was good, but that killed it right there. Everyone needs to move on from Dracula, which honestly was not that interesting. Everyone knows Lestat is the true immortal. And way to much silly abusive sex.
Lynn
It was ok, you didn't really connect with the characters at all, the story was lacking and you couldn't even get wrapped up in the vamp out sections. I would suggest Cynthia Edens The Vampire Kiss if you like sexy vampire novels but give this one a miss.
Juanita
Not what I would normally read, but this is the first time I have read a Susan Squires book.
The characters were interesting, however the plot seemed predictable at times.
If you like historical/vampire/paranormal book then its worth a read!
Grace
Sequel to the Companion. Decent story featuring a young, virginal woman who sees people's lives when she touches them and the haunted vampire who saves her. Not as good as the Companion.
Jennifer Everitt
This was my first Susan Squires book. I really liked it, but, it took me a while to get into. I think it was just something about her writing style that made me take so long.
Michele Geier
May 19, 2008 Michele Geier added it Recommends it for: people who like real erotic vampire romances
It is good, stands on it own for a series book, but way to erotic for me. I am skipping lots of Stephens dialogue with his three vampire teachers.
Kathy
I'm on the lookout for alternatives to "Twilight", and this would not work. It's an OK story, but way too graphic for a YA audience.
Melanie
It gets a rating of two stars because it was just so RIDICULOUSLY FUNNY!
Angarad
too slow and too many flashback, I couln't get into the story.
Claire
i did finish it but couldnt get into it i skiped lots of it
Jenny Klaas
Holy hotness Batman! Left me breathless.
Kimberly
extremely crude
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Puna
Puna added it
Apr 17, 2014
pauliree
pauliree marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Laura Rhea
Laura Rhea marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Kristina Learned
Kristina Learned marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
  • Come to Me
  • Midnight Lover (Forever Vampires #5)
  • Seduced by the Night (Night Slayer, #2)
  • Rises The Night (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • Castle of the Wolf
  • Night Blooming (Saint-Germain, #15)
  • Dead Sexy
  • Immortal with a Kiss (Emma Andrews #2)
  • Two By Twilight: Run From Twilight/Twilight Vows (Wings in the Night Series #6 & #9)
  • A Taste of Darkness (Mackenzie Vampires, #3)
  • The Perilous Prophecy of Guard and Goddess (Strangely Beautiful, #3)
  • Kiss of the Rose (Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • A Most Unsuitable Groom (Romney Marsh #4)
  • Blood Moon (Blood Moon, #1)
  • I Hunger for You (Primes, #3)
  • The Love Charm
Susan Squires is a NYT bestselling author known for breaking the rules of romance. Whatever her time period or subject, some element of the paranormal creeps in. She has won multiple contests for published novels and reviewer's choice awards. Publisher's Weekly named Body Electric one of the ten most influential mass market books and One with the Shadows a Best Book. Time for Eternity received a s...more
More about Susan Squires...
The Companion (Companion, #1) The Hunger (Companion, #2) One With the Night (Companion, #4) One With the Shadows (Companion, #5) Sacrament (Companion, Prequel)