Start by marking “The Burning (Companion, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Burning (Companion, #3)

The Burning (Companion #3)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  319 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Award-winning, bestselling author Susan Squires brings you into a world of erotic temptation that comes alive at night and thrives on our darkest secrets and longings. Take the journey to an unforgettable place in the heart of darkness and desire...

A FORBIDDEN TEMPTATION...
It is 1821, and all who know the beautiful, mysterious Ann Van Helsing believe she is insane. Yet Ann
Published April 4th 2006 by St. Martin's

To ask other readers questions about The Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning

Soulless by Gail CarrigerOutlander by Diana GabaldonDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonVoyager by Diana GabaldonChangeless by Gail Carriger
Historical Paranormal Romance
117th out of 338 books — 392 voters
Lover Awakened by J.R. WardEasy by Tammara WebberOutlander by Diana GabaldonAcheron by Sherrilyn KenyonBared to You by Sylvia Day
Best Abused or Traumatized Romance Heroes
136th out of 164 books — 170 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathrynn
This was horrible! I read it several years ago, but I remember a lot of it. Is that a good thing? Get ready. This one was more of an abusive erotic book. What a whacked out theme! Here goes:

Stephen is a vampire, in training to be a "great vampire hunter." His culture used sexual frustration/release to build upon this "greatness." There were three sisters who kept Stephen chained to a cement bed and had sex with him--I forget how long...years? Ugh! There is an awful "greasy" splat on the wall whe
Julianna
Dec 17, 2013 Julianna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Dark or Historical PNR Romance, Tortured Heroes
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" Susan Squires has done it again with yet another story in the Companion series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Ms. Squires has a lyrical writing style that I find very beautiful. She also knows how to create heroes and heroines who are imperfect yet highly relatable, starring in character-driven stories in which true love and sensuous passion overcome the torments of the past. In some ways, I'm surprised I haven't heard more about this series, because I've been tho
Christy
Nov 14, 2010 Christy rated it liked it
A.C. Melody
Sep 05, 2015 A.C. Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: The Burning
Author: Susan Squires
Genre: Paranormal Historical Erotic Romance
Rating: 4.5 ‘s

Ah, to be reacquainted with my first true love! The Burning was both a unique and a nostalgic read for me, taking me back to my teenage years where I first fell for the allure of the lone, brooding vampire. Not to mention, anyone who’s ever read Bram Stoker’s Dracula will absolutely appreciate the details the author merely alludes to – just enough – to have your mind wandering down familiar connection
J. Kahele
Sep 04, 2015 J. Kahele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Erotic Vampire story? No it was so much more.

Stephan is a vampire who has lived 2000 years, his life consisting of torture, pain and agony. He finds one true love, Beatrice, who for a short time he believes loves him also, but its her first love and soon her feelings change. He vows after she leaves, to never love again and commits to a life of destroying made vampires, as they threaten the existence of his people, natural vampires.
Ann is a woman who has a power at touch, to see the past
Pixelinchen
♥ Melody
This is the second book I read of Squires, I didn't read the books in order but given the high expectations I had from the previous book I read (One with the Shadows) this one was a huge let down for me. Not at all what I expected to get. I felt Squires was focusing too much on the flashbacks and memories Stephen had of the torture he endured by the three Vampires which got to be too much at times. I mean I don't mind it but to a certain point--- and if it's necessary, which I didn't think it wa ...more
Dangermousie
Wow. Just wow. I gave this book two stars for the sheer gonzo insanity of the set-up, in which our hero, a vampire who offs misbehaving vamps, achieves his superpowers by controlling and denying his ejaculations. No, I am not making this up - giant chunks of the book involve some seriously serious (and graphic) BDSM training of him by three ladyvamps so he'd be able to be horny and yet not achieve orgasm, which he can then channel into power. If you are into dudes being branded or made to jerk o ...more
Bitten_by_Books
Dec 04, 2008 Bitten_by_Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shona
Stephan Sincai is the tortured hero (and I do mean tortured) trying to atone for his sins. Because of his past, intimacy with anyone could be fatal. Ms. Squires does the most exquisite torture I have ever read.

Ann Van Helsing cannot touch another being without being overwhelmed by every facet of their life. But when she finds Stephen alone and bleeding, she helps him. In an instant, she knows everything about him and his kind...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban F
Angela Withrow
Sep 21, 2015 Angela Withrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review coming soon!
Marina
Jul 28, 2012 Marina rated it really liked it
I give this 3.5-4.0 stars.It was a smooth read.Nicely paced. Slightly twisted erotic regency romance. I am pleased with the happy ending. I hope there will be books about some interesting characters that appeared in this one.

If you would like to get this book please check out booksfreeswap.com.It is available for swap!
Vulpes2000
Dec 17, 2007 Vulpes2000 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed reading this novel. Though it was not the first in the series, i wasn't left wondering what was going on. I didn't even realize that there was a novel written before this one. I liked Ann's character and how she developed into a strong women. The sex scenes were hot and steamy.
Cristina Contilli
"Nello sguardo di Stephen c'erano meraviglia, sollievo e pace. Lui l'amava. (...) Ann gli stava chiedendo di credere in lei abbastanza da permetterle di amarlo."

Saga rosa paranormale carina, ma non nelle mie corde... preferisco gli storici ai paranormali perciò l'ho letta e scambiata...

Jaime
Dec 31, 2008 Jaime rated it really liked it
The main girl's last name is Van Helsing. Hmmm.... the idea is for the story was good, but that killed it right there. Everyone needs to move on from Dracula, which honestly was not that interesting. Everyone knows Lestat is the true immortal. And way to much silly abusive sex.
Nur Siyam
May 03, 2016 Nur Siyam rated it did not like it
A waste of time..
Lynn
Feb 16, 2011 Lynn rated it it was ok
It was ok, you didn't really connect with the characters at all, the story was lacking and you couldn't even get wrapped up in the vamp out sections. I would suggest Cynthia Edens The Vampire Kiss if you like sexy vampire novels but give this one a miss.
Juanita
Dec 18, 2012 Juanita rated it liked it
Not what I would normally read, but this is the first time I have read a Susan Squires book.
The characters were interesting, however the plot seemed predictable at times.
If you like historical/vampire/paranormal book then its worth a read!
Goldilocks
Dec 28, 2015 Goldilocks rated it it was ok
Shelves: disliked, 2-stars
Uhm... I'm not so sure about my thoughts on this one. There were moments when I enjoyed it, and moments where it was just okay. Vampires. History. Erotica. It was very summerish, but I don't regret picking it up.
Grace
Apr 09, 2012 Grace rated it liked it
Sequel to the Companion. Decent story featuring a young, virginal woman who sees people's lives when she touches them and the haunted vampire who saves her. Not as good as the Companion.
Jennifer Everitt
Feb 25, 2008 Jennifer Everitt rated it really liked it
This was my first Susan Squires book. I really liked it, but, it took me a while to get into. I think it was just something about her writing style that made me take so long.
Michele Geier
May 19, 2008 Michele Geier added it
Recommends it for: people who like real erotic vampire romances
It is good, stands on it own for a series book, but way to erotic for me. I am skipping lots of Stephens dialogue with his three vampire teachers.
Kathy
Aug 18, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it
I'm on the lookout for alternatives to "Twilight", and this would not work. It's an OK story, but way too graphic for a YA audience.
Melanie
It gets a rating of two stars because it was just so RIDICULOUSLY FUNNY!
Angarad
Mar 21, 2013 Angarad rated it it was ok
too slow and too many flashback, I couln't get into the story.
Claire
Aug 14, 2011 Claire rated it it was ok
i did finish it but couldnt get into it i skiped lots of it
Jenny Klaas
Sep 04, 2009 Jenny Klaas rated it it was amazing
Holy hotness Batman! Left me breathless.
Kimberly
Feb 07, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was ok
extremely crude
Lagunablu
Lagunablu marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Grace F.
Grace F. marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
  • Seduced by the Night (Night Slayer, #2)
  • The Bleeding Dusk (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #3)
  • A Taste of Darkness (Mackenzie Vampires #3)
  • Scandal of the Black Rose
  • Come to Me
  • Passions of the Ghost (Immortal Warriors, #3)
  • I Thirst for You (Primes, #2)
  • Midnight Lover (Forever Vampires #5)
  • The Midnight Work
  • The Perilous Prophecy of Guard and Goddess (Strangely Beautiful, #3)
  • Kiss of the Rose (Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Dead Sexy
  • The Passion of an Angel
  • His Ruthless Bite (Scandals With Bite, #4)
  • The Waterlord
  • Castle of the Wolf
  • Journey
Susan Squires is a NYT bestselling author known for breaking the rules of romance. Whatever her time period or subject, some element of the paranormal creeps in. She has won multiple contests for published novels and reviewer's choice awards. Publisher's Weekly named Body Electric one of the ten most influential mass market books and One with the Shadows a Best Book. Time for Eternity received a s ...more
More about Susan Squires...

Companion (9 books)
  • Sacrament (Companion, #xx)
  • Sacrilege (Companion, #0.5)
  • The Companion (Companion, #1)
  • The Hunger (Companion, #2)
  • One With the Night (Companion, #4)
  • One With the Shadows (Companion, #5)
  • One With the Darkness (Companion, #6)
  • Time For Eternity (Da Vinci Time Travel, #2)