Start by marking “A Small Surprise” as Want to Read:
A Small Surprise

A Small Surprise

A triumphant and endearing tale to tickle the smallest listeners.

A very small bunny wants to join the circus and is not put off by a sign reading “Small Animals Need Not Apply.” Though he is too small to wipe his nose or tie his shoes or walk far without a rest, he is not too small to make a BIG impression on the lion, the orangutan, and the other big animals of this circu
Published May 12th 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published February 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Small Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Small Surprise

Sep 28, 2012 Clarissa rated it really liked it
A Small Surprise is written by Louise Yates. This is a cute story about a very small bunny who explains all of the things he is too small to do. He goes on to talk about the things he is best for. The illustrations in this book are super fun. I would recommend this book to small children. This would be a great read aloud. If I were a preschool or kindergarten teacher I would use this book to talk about being young and small.
Dec 23, 2010 Nancy rated it it was ok
A big gorilla ties a little rabbit's shoes with big fat fingers: brilliant.
As is everything about the lion. (This is exactly how a worried lion purses her lips.)
But the author confuses us when some spreads are meant to be read as double-wides and others not. Another small stumble for this reader: a snake suddenly able to hold a handkerchief with its split tail.
Mumtaz Hussain
May 31, 2014 Mumtaz Hussain rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic picture book for young children. Which can be read over and over again.
The small little bunny is too small for wiping his nose or eating without making a mess. But he is perfect to join the circus as he can disappear and reappear because he is too small!
This book will definitely encourage small children to make an impression and great discussion with family.
Christine Ridout
Feb 19, 2013 Christine Ridout rated it liked it
A little rabbit at the circus is too small to do anything by himself like tie his shoes or wipe his nose. But he’s not too small to disappear under the gorilla’s hate or down the snake’s throat. Then, he is able to reappear. The book does a nice job of getting at the concept disappear/reappear. Great drawings.
Katy Mcnab
Good things really do come in small packages!

This is a wonderful children's book about the fearlessness of a rabbit who is 'too small' to join the circus. This story could be a wonderful stimulus for group discussion and philosophy with young children, exploring values and self esteem.

This book, like the little rabbit is MAGIC!!!
Heather Richard
Mar 09, 2012 Heather Richard rated it really liked it
I liked the unusual page-turns, and the way the bunny really turned his difference into something fun. I also loved the illustrations and color palette...will definitely look for more of her books.

Apr 15, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Best for reading with a child and not a class. There is a lot going on and children will want to look closely at each spread. Some young ones may worry for the Rabbit's safety when he finds himself hidden in the mouth of a bear or the throat of a snake.
Apr 11, 2010 Gail rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
I didn't like the illustrations because it was hard to figure out what nonsense was going on. I also found it gross that the rabbit hid in the lion's mouth, then was spit out into the snake's throat.
Sep 29, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a sweet book about the merits of smallness for a small bunny who works in a circus. I have mixed feelings about how the words are all over the place on the page, but there are some nice visual jokes.
Jun 01, 2013 Peacegal rated it did not like it
The illustrations were cute but I'm not impressed by any children's book that idealizes and celebrates the animal circus. Really, we should be past this by now.
Apr 12, 2010 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
The story didn't do much for me, but I enjoyed the illustrations and the rosy, pastel color palette.
Danie P.
Jul 23, 2009 Danie P. rated it it was amazing
Cute story about a bunny that is too small to do certain things but he's perfect at disappearing like magic. Simple words can be used for both preschool and toddler storytime.
John rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2010
Yvonne rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Henry rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2011
Westerville rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2009
Tina rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Brendan Howard
Jun 29, 2015 Brendan Howard rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-zahara
A bit of silly genius this is.
Limeminearia rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Jody rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Emma rated it liked it
May 25, 2012
Kelsey Bates
Kelsey Bates rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Megan Marvel
Megan Marvel rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Eileen rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Shannon Kitchen
Jan 05, 2011 Shannon Kitchen rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, storytime, babies
Would be great to use with a game of peek-a-boo.
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2013
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it did not like it
Mar 17, 2015
Carrie Gelson
Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it
May 08, 2013
Joella rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2009