Start by marking “A Small Surprise” as Want to Read:
A Small Surprise

A Small Surprise

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A triumphant and endearing tale to tickle the smallest listeners.

A very small bunny wants to join the circus and is not put off by a sign reading “Small Animals Need Not Apply.” Though he is too small to wipe his nose or tie his shoes or walk far without a rest, he is not too small to make a BIG impression on the lion, the orangutan, and the other big animals of this circu
Published May 12th 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published February 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Small Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Small Surprise

Mumtaz Hussain
This is a fantastic picture book for young children. Which can be read over and over again.
The small little bunny is too small for wiping his nose or eating without making a mess. But he is perfect to join the circus as he can disappear and reappear because he is too small!
This book will definitely encourage small children to make an impression and great discussion with family.
Katy Mcnab
Good things really do come in small packages!

This is a wonderful children's book about the fearlessness of a rabbit who is 'too small' to join the circus. This story could be a wonderful stimulus for group discussion and philosophy with young children, exploring values and self esteem.

This book, like the little rabbit is MAGIC!!!
Kelly
A wonderful book to share with anyone who has ever been too small.
David
Magic! Should be required reading.
Clarissa
A Small Surprise is written by Louise Yates. This is a cute story about a very small bunny who explains all of the things he is too small to do. He goes on to talk about the things he is best for. The illustrations in this book are super fun. I would recommend this book to small children. This would be a great read aloud. If I were a preschool or kindergarten teacher I would use this book to talk about being young and small.
Nancy
A big gorilla ties a little rabbit's shoes with big fat fingers: brilliant.
As is everything about the lion. (This is exactly how a worried lion purses her lips.)
But the author confuses us when some spreads are meant to be read as double-wides and others not. Another small stumble for this reader: a snake suddenly able to hold a handkerchief with its split tail.
Christine Ridout
A little rabbit at the circus is too small to do anything by himself like tie his shoes or wipe his nose. But he’s not too small to disappear under the gorilla’s hate or down the snake’s throat. Then, he is able to reappear. The book does a nice job of getting at the concept disappear/reappear. Great drawings.
Peacegal
The illustrations were cute but I'm not impressed by any children's book that idealizes and celebrates the animal circus. Really, we should be past this by now.
Alicia
Best for reading with a child and not a class. There is a lot going on and children will want to look closely at each spread. Some young ones may worry for the Rabbit's safety when he finds himself hidden in the mouth of a bear or the throat of a snake.
Heather Richard
I liked the unusual page-turns, and the way the bunny really turned his difference into something fun. I also loved the illustrations and color palette...will definitely look for more of her books.

Gail
I didn't like the illustrations because it was hard to figure out what nonsense was going on. I also found it gross that the rabbit hid in the lion's mouth, then was spit out into the snake's throat.
Rebecca
This was a sweet book about the merits of smallness for a small bunny who works in a circus. I have mixed feelings about how the words are all over the place on the page, but there are some nice visual jokes.
Danie P.
Cute story about a bunny that is too small to do certain things but he's perfect at disappearing like magic. Simple words can be used for both preschool and toddler storytime.
Kari
The story didn't do much for me, but I enjoyed the illustrations and the rosy, pastel color palette.
Emmeline Guest
A sweet simple story good for the under two crowd.

Shannon Kitchen
Would be great to use with a game of peek-a-boo.
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Hs
Hs added it
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dog Loves Books Dog Loves Drawing Dog Loves Counting Frank and Teddy Make Friends. by Louise Yates Dog Loves Fairy Tales