Letters from a Father to his Daughter

Letters from a Father to his Daughter

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  606 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Letters from a Father to His Daughter is a collection of 30 letters written by Jawaharlal Nehru in 1928 to his daughter Indira Gandhi when she was 10 years old, teaching about natural history and the story of civilisations.
Published November 30th 2004 by Viking (first published 1929)

Shonali
My grandfather was a very avid reader. He was the one who recommended books to me when I would spend hours just surfing bookshelves in our local library. It was through him that I got familiar with the works of Tolstoy , Pearl S Buck , Charles Dickens and some great Indian authors like Mulk Raj Anand , K.M.Munshi and Jawaharlal Nehru. I had read Glimpses Of World History by Nehru and loved it but somehow never read this beautiful little collection of letters Jawaharlal Nehru sent his 10 yrs old...more
Vibina Venugopal
The book is a collection of 30 letters written by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru , the first prime minister of India to his 10 year daughter Indira Priyadharshini later Indira Gandhi, who also became the prime minister of the country during a summer in 1928..Though the book might sound out of date for the current era, if you can go back in times, you'll definitely enjoy the book...Nehru's work kept him away from his daughter, it was difficult for him to spend quality time with her, staying away, letter...more
Dhara Mehta
This is a wonderful little book about the history of the world for the perspective of at amateur historian as well the first prime minister of India. I was thoroughly impressed with Mr. Nehru knowledge about the world history, this too expressed in letters to his ten year old daughter. To think that this book could have been in a prison without references speaks to the author’s supreme intellect. Seventy years have passed since the first publication of Letters from a Father to His Daughter, hist...more
Dalia
لقد سهل علىّ نهرو فكرة أن أكتب عن هذا الكتاب ، اذ أن رسالته الأخيرة لابنته فيها كل ما قد يقال عن هذا الكتاب، و هى الرسالة الوحيدة التى تلمح فيها لماذا أرهق نفسه بكتابة هذه الرسائل ، وهى ليست الا تلخيصه لأحداث التاريخ و قرائته لها، و لا تحمل أى شحنة عاطفية من تلك التى يبثها أب لابنته سوى آخر رسالة و التى منها أقتبس:
"ها نحن ، يا عزيزتى قد وصلنا الى ختام القصة. وليس لدى الآن ما أقوله، و لكن رغبتى فى أن أنهى خطاباتى اليك بنوع من التفاؤل هى التى تدفعنى الى كتابة هذا الخطاب - آخر خطاب!
.........هكذا ين...more
Sidharth Kumar
I would have kicked it when i would have been small eventhough i read it few years back i liked by sheer pleasure of a father making his daughter aware of surroundings
Gamal elneel
عرض شيق وممتع للتاريخ والثورات السياسية والاجتماعية والحضارية
انجلترا وفرنسا وامريكا والهند وروسيا وايطاليا
غاندى ولينين وموسولينى
Satvik
Should have read it much earlier. Found it a little too simplistic for my age. But good book nonetheless.
Sharat Chandra
Pt. Nehru had got amaging parenting skill.This book is the evidence.
Sameer m
I will be gifting this book for my daughter...sure..!!
Gopi Koirala
Great book in my life
Ashima
I bought this book for my 10 year old nephew.. I read it before gifting, to make sure that he will enjoy it...
This book is a series of letters written by Jawaharlal Nehru to his 10 year old daughter Indira. Apart from fuelling a lot of inquiry, this book presents the lovely notion of letters! An art that has been completely forgotten in the age of emails. It also presents a more personal side of Nehru and Indira Gandhi’s upbringing.

The letters travel from the big bang – the beginning of solar sy...more
Suriya Gayathri
It's the story of humanity, nature, science and geography. The author elaborates on how earth, animals, man, civilisation, language, religion, etc. started its existence and how everything has evolved. It's a book of rationale written carefully in a style that would give any reader moments of interesting and informative education.
Arnav
He has written it so well to try to make his daughter understand about nature and civilisations.
Kalyan
I read it once while I was a child, remembered it vaguely. Of late I bought a hardback book for my children and read it again. My children were also moved. The love of PJN as a father and his keen interest to fine-groom his daughter by giving strong roots of the history of the rich Indian civilization and Culture is noteworthy. Like to add here that Indira Gandhi has carried forward this tradition in their family and has written inspiring letters to her children while she was away from them. The...more
Harikumar Vasudev
i think it is very essential to read all
الآنسة راء
الحمدلله على هداياه، كما تقول مستغانمي "أجمل حب هو الذي نعثر عليه أثناء بحثنا عن شيء آخر" وطبعًا الكتب بالنسبة لي بمثابّة حبّ أيضًا. لمّا قرأتُ النبذة عن الكتاب تذكّرت فتاةً تحدّث عنها ذات مرّة د.جاسم سلطان في إحدى محاضراته ولم يذكر اسمها للأسف وكنتُ مغتاظة لهذا جدًا ويصعب بالطبع البحث عنها لأنّ الشذرات الّتي جمعها وحكى من خلالها حكاياتها لا تُوصل لشيء إلا السراب، وعرفتُ منذ قرأت نيذة الكتاب أنّها هي ذاتها الفتاة الّتي تحدّث عنها ويالسعادتي للوصول إليها، ناهيك عن أنّ هذا الكتاب إضافةٌ نوعيّة لرف...more
Dev Dath
A very useful book.
Sneha Bollepalli
The book is extremely a delight to read as a child with lot of excitement. Though not a complete substitute to Nehru's presence in Indira Gandhi's childhood but the book is a compensation to him being far away from his daughter.

The bonding between the Father and Daughter was quite soothing. Also, gives us an idea how to keep in touch with our dear ones when we are far away. Though now we have the fastest communication with us, still letters prove to be more effective than others.

Loved the book t...more
Valerie
There's a little personal material in here, but it's mostly history. Nehru's socialist leanings do tend to color the interpretations (as when he dismisses the Armenian genocide, or when he uneasily tries to justify Stalinist purges).

Still, a lot of this stuff is not taught in history courses in the US, and it provides a useful widening away from what's too often a Eurocentric view of history.
Anirban, Freeman in Real
Its a story-teller from both side.It's not s hilarious book as it pretends to be.Simple & excellent story formation through letters By India's first PM Mr.Nehru to his daughter who became a PM too,Ms. Indira Gandhi.Nehru was in jail when he wrote this little articles.People can say whatever they want but this book proves that how much knowledgeable man JLN was.
Ratnesh Neema
A good read, if you're 10, and if it were 1980s. It has a lot of information, but a lot of it is presented as speculations which we know as facts in the present day; it's a book that has failed to pass the test of time.
The letters try to tell us that nothing is unimportant. We should keep learning, and exploring the world around us!
Arka Bhattacharya
Written in very simple language and with simple thinking. This is only achievable when someone writes from his heart and of course with good vocab skills. Worth a read but I won't give it a second shot, because I felt that this collection of letters is for a certain age group.10-14 years maybe.
Chaitali
The first book that was given to me by my mom to read ...:) when i was in first standard through which i was introduced to reading world...! very easy english and it basically talks about aryans coming to india and great epics : Ramayana & Mahabharata.
Dishan Rajapaksha
I'd say that I'm disappointing about the book, might be because I was expecting something like Abraham Lincoln's letter to his child's teacher. I felt like I'm reading a history book than reading " letters to his daughter".
Lach Baniya
Awe-inspired! Mind = blown, after seeing Jawaharlal Nehru's awesome resevior of knowledge, considering the unavailablity of search engines like Google,Yahoo and Bing at that time! Enjoyed the read thoroughly!
M
This Awesome hard bound collection has been passed on to me by my father and I absolutely cherish it! Its perhaps the only one of its kind.. history within real history..a great gift ! A collector's piece !!!
Omar
A beautiful book Of the general history o the world. A collections of letters that really bring to light the affectionate relationship between a father and daughter.
Tashi Dhondup
Oct 27, 2012 Tashi Dhondup marked it as to-read
I want to read (letters from a father to his Daughter)but I can not find them. what need before to read them?
Nandini Goel
Great Book.
Jawahar Lal Nehru ji has educated Indira on various topics related to our society and man kind.
A great book.. 3 4 Apr 11, 2014 02:59AM
  • Indira: The Life of Indira Nehru Gandhi
  • Nehru: The Invention of India
  • Jinnah: India-Partition-Independence
  • Makers of Modern India
  • India After Independence 1947-2000
  • Curfewed Night
  • পরিণীতা
  • Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India During World War II
  • Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire
  • A History of India: Volume 1
  • Chokher Bali
  • The Great Partition: The Making of India and Pakistan
  • Everybody Loves a Good Drought: Stories from India's Poorest Districts
  • The Wonder That Was India: A Survey of the History and Culture of the Indian Sub-Continent before the coming of the Muslims  Volume - 1
  • India: A History
  • Anandamath
  • India Wins Freedom: The Complete Version
  • Imagining India: The Idea of a Renewed Nation
First prime minister of independent India (1947 – 64). Son of the independence advocate Motilal Nehru (1861 – 1931), Nehru was educated at home and in Britain and became a lawyer in 1912. More interested in politics than law, he was impressed by Mohandas K. Gandhi's approach to Indian independence. His close association with the Indian National Congress began in 1919; in 1929 he became its preside...more
More about Jawaharlal Nehru...
The Discovery of India Glimpses of World History An Autobiography with Musings on Recent Events in India Nehru's India: Select Speeches A Bunch of Old Letters