Letters from a Father to his Daughter

Letters from a Father to his Daughter

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  653 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Letters from a Father to His Daughter is a collection of 30 letters written by Jawaharlal Nehru in 1928 to his daughter Indira Gandhi when she was 10 years old, teaching about natural history and the story of civilisations.
Published November 30th 2004 by Viking (first published 1929)

Shonali
My grandfather was a very avid reader. He was the one who recommended books to me when I would spend hours just surfing bookshelves in our local library. It was through him that I got familiar with the works of Tolstoy , Pearl S Buck , Charles Dickens and some great Indian authors like Mulk Raj Anand , K.M.Munshi and Jawaharlal Nehru. I had read Glimpses Of World History by Nehru and loved it but somehow never read this beautiful little collection of letters Jawaharlal Nehru sent his 10 yrs old...more
Vibina Venugopal
The book is a collection of 30 letters written by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru , the first prime minister of India to his 10 year daughter Indira Priyadharshini later Indira Gandhi, who also became the prime minister of the country during a summer in 1928..Though the book might sound out of date for the current era, if you can go back in times, you'll definitely enjoy the book...Nehru's work kept him away from his daughter, it was difficult for him to spend quality time with her, staying away, letter...more
Dhara Mehta
This is a wonderful little book about the history of the world for the perspective of at amateur historian as well the first prime minister of India. I was thoroughly impressed with Mr. Nehru knowledge about the world history, this too expressed in letters to his ten year old daughter. To think that this book could have been in a prison without references speaks to the author’s supreme intellect. Seventy years have passed since the first publication of Letters from a Father to His Daughter, hist...more
Dalia
لقد سهل علىّ نهرو فكرة أن أكتب عن هذا الكتاب ، اذ أن رسالته الأخيرة لابنته فيها كل ما قد يقال عن هذا الكتاب، و هى الرسالة الوحيدة التى تلمح فيها لماذا أرهق نفسه بكتابة هذه الرسائل ، وهى ليست الا تلخيصه لأحداث التاريخ و قرائته لها، و لا تحمل أى شحنة عاطفية من تلك التى يبثها أب لابنته سوى آخر رسالة و التى منها أقتبس:
"ها نحن ، يا عزيزتى قد وصلنا الى ختام القصة. وليس لدى الآن ما أقوله، و لكن رغبتى فى أن أنهى خطاباتى اليك بنوع من التفاؤل هى التى تدفعنى الى كتابة هذا الخطاب - آخر خطاب!
.........هكذا ين...more
Gamal elneel
عرض شيق وممتع للتاريخ والثورات السياسية والاجتماعية والحضارية
االثورة الفرنسية العظيمة التى انهكت وانقلبت ع نفسها بعد سنوات من الصراع والتوتر
ثم جاءت الثورة المضادة فابتلعت الثورة الاولى وتحكمت فى الشعب وخرج من رحمها الامبراطور نابليون
ولكن لا الثورة المضادة ولا نابليون استطاع ان يعيد الناس الى اماكنهم القديمة
لا احد استطاع ان يمحو الانتصارات الرئيسية للثورة لا احد استطاع ان يمحو ذكرى تلك الايام التى حكم فيها رجل الشارع حقا ... ولو لفترة قصيرة جدا !!!!

الثورة الروسية
الثورة الهندية
Nidhi Arora
I remember visiting Raj Ghat many years back with my father during summer vacations to collect first hand information for my History project. From the book store, my father choose this wonderful book for me to read. I read it then and loved it. Today, decades later when I am expecting, I had an urge to read the book again. And well, I did.

The book 'Letters from a Father to his Daughter' is a series of letters written by India's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru to his daughter then Indira Pr

Sidharth Kumar
I would have kicked it when i would have been small eventhough i read it few years back i liked by sheer pleasure of a father making his daughter aware of surroundings
Satvik
Should have read it much earlier. Found it a little too simplistic for my age. But good book nonetheless.
Sharat Chandra
Pt. Nehru had got amaging parenting skill.This book is the evidence.
Sameer m
I will be gifting this book for my daughter...sure..!!
Gopi Koirala
Great book in my life
Ashima
I bought this book for my 10 year old nephew.. I read it before gifting, to make sure that he will enjoy it...
This book is a series of letters written by Jawaharlal Nehru to his 10 year old daughter Indira. Apart from fuelling a lot of inquiry, this book presents the lovely notion of letters! An art that has been completely forgotten in the age of emails. It also presents a more personal side of Nehru and Indira Gandhi’s upbringing.

The letters travel from the big bang – the beginning of solar sy...more
Suriya Gayathri
It's the story of humanity, nature, science and geography. The author elaborates on how earth, animals, man, civilisation, language, religion, etc. started its existence and how everything has evolved. It's a book of rationale written carefully in a style that would give any reader moments of interesting and informative education.
Neha

The book consists of letters written by Jawahar Lal Nehru to his daughter, Indira Gandhi when she was abroad studying.
This book is pretty draggy. I read it when I was 10 years old.
It just has history and geography in it. Notihing to appreciate and nothing inspiring.
Ravi
This book is a must read, highly recommended for kids and adults alike, a little old but still pertinent.
Arnav
He has written it so well to try to make his daughter understand about nature and civilisations.
Kalyan
I read it once while I was a child, remembered it vaguely. Of late I bought a hardback book for my children and read it again. My children were also moved. The love of PJN as a father and his keen interest to fine-groom his daughter by giving strong roots of the history of the rich Indian civilization and Culture is noteworthy. Like to add here that Indira Gandhi has carried forward this tradition in their family and has written inspiring letters to her children while she was away from them. The...more
Bharath J
One can learn the art of letter writing by reading this book !!
Ahmed
Just one line,

What a father!
Harikumar Vasudev
i think it is very essential to read all
Srinivasan Murali
Wish to be a such a father!
الآنسة راء
الحمدلله على هداياه، كما تقول مستغانمي "أجمل حب هو الذي نعثر عليه أثناء بحثنا عن شيء آخر" وطبعًا الكتب بالنسبة لي بمثابّة حبّ أيضًا. لمّا قرأتُ النبذة عن الكتاب تذكّرت فتاةً تحدّث عنها ذات مرّة د.جاسم سلطان في إحدى محاضراته ولم يذكر اسمها للأسف وكنتُ مغتاظة لهذا جدًا ويصعب بالطبع البحث عنها لأنّ الشذرات الّتي جمعها وحكى من خلالها حكاياتها لا تُوصل لشيء إلا السراب، وعرفتُ منذ قرأت نيذة الكتاب أنّها هي ذاتها الفتاة الّتي تحدّث عنها ويالسعادتي للوصول إليها، ناهيك عن أنّ هذا الكتاب إضافةٌ نوعيّة لرف...more
Dev Dath
A very useful book.
Sneha Bollepalli
The book is extremely a delight to read as a child with lot of excitement. Though not a complete substitute to Nehru's presence in Indira Gandhi's childhood but the book is a compensation to him being far away from his daughter.

The bonding between the Father and Daughter was quite soothing. Also, gives us an idea how to keep in touch with our dear ones when we are far away. Though now we have the fastest communication with us, still letters prove to be more effective than others.

Loved the book t...more
Valerie
There's a little personal material in here, but it's mostly history. Nehru's socialist leanings do tend to color the interpretations (as when he dismisses the Armenian genocide, or when he uneasily tries to justify Stalinist purges).

Still, a lot of this stuff is not taught in history courses in the US, and it provides a useful widening away from what's too often a Eurocentric view of history.
Anirban, Freeman in Real
Its a story-teller from both side.It's not s hilarious book as it pretends to be.Simple & excellent story formation through letters By India's first PM Mr.Nehru to his daughter who became a PM too,Ms. Indira Gandhi.Nehru was in jail when he wrote this little articles.People can say whatever they want but this book proves that how much knowledgeable man JLN was.
Ratnesh Neema
A good read, if you're 10, and if it were 1980s. It has a lot of information, but a lot of it is presented as speculations which we know as facts in the present day; it's a book that has failed to pass the test of time.
The letters try to tell us that nothing is unimportant. We should keep learning, and exploring the world around us!
Arka Bhattacharya
Written in very simple language and with simple thinking. This is only achievable when someone writes from his heart and of course with good vocab skills. Worth a read but I won't give it a second shot, because I felt that this collection of letters is for a certain age group.10-14 years maybe.
Chaitali
The first book that was given to me by my mom to read ...:) when i was in first standard through which i was introduced to reading world...! very easy english and it basically talks about aryans coming to india and great epics : Ramayana & Mahabharata.
A great book.. 3 5 Apr 11, 2014 02:59AM
  • India After Independence
  • Early India: From the Origins to AD 1300
  • Indira: The Life of Indira Nehru Gandhi
  • Patriots and Partisans
  • Mahanayak - A fictionalized biography of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose
  • Jinnah: India-Partition-Independence
  • Introduction To The Constitution Of India
  • The Elephant, the Tiger, and the Cell Phone: Reflections on India - the Emerging 21st-Century Power
  • পরিণীতা
  • The Wonder That Was India: A Survey of the History and Culture of the Indian Sub-Continent before the coming of the Muslims  Volume - 1
  • Gora
  • A History of Economics: The Past as the Present
  • My Days
  • Odyssey: Pepsi to Apple : A Journey of Adventure, Ideas, and the Future
  • Curfewed Night
  • India: A History
  • Stranger to History: A Son's Journey through Islamic Lands
  • Imagining India: The Idea of a Renewed Nation
First prime minister of independent India (1947 – 64). Son of the independence advocate Motilal Nehru (1861 – 1931), Nehru was educated at home and in Britain and became a lawyer in 1912. More interested in politics than law, he was impressed by Mohandas K. Gandhi's approach to Indian independence. His close association with the Indian National Congress began in 1919; in 1929 he became its preside...more
More about Jawaharlal Nehru...
The Discovery of India Glimpses of World History An Autobiography with Musings on Recent Events in India Nehru's India: Select Speeches A Bunch of Old Letters