Start by marking “The Art of Selfishness” as Want to Read:

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Art of Selfishness
Published June 2nd 1986 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Selfishness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Selfishness

Kurt Keefner
True or False: Ayn Rand’s The Virtue of Selfishness was the first book on egoism intended for a popular audience.

False. A quarter century earlier came The Art of Selfishness, a number one bestseller by psychiatrist David Seabury.

At times, Seabury sounds strikingly similar to Rand: “We have been left for centuries with only the echo of a workable philosophy. We have been given no true middle way between insipid spirituality and brute conquest: either act like a stained-glass saint or ape a tyrant
Ronald Wise
A collection of essays by a clinical psychologist in what was probably one of the earliest self-help books. What he calls "selfishness" is more like what we call "self-assertiveness" today, and the change in terms may have occurred because of the negative reactions he got to this book, especially from religious leaders. Much of the content is from interesting situations and changes reported by patients seen by Seabury and his colleagues.
Kimberly Aikens
And I quote, "The answer to the pressure of our days is one and simple: dare. Dare to live while life is passing. You'll never live otherwise. Set a limit on what you are willing to bear. Call this your adjustment marjin, your wall of personality. "They shall not pass" beyond that line beyond that line, no matter who or what they are.

That's what I took away from this book. Excellent read!!
Bubblebubbly
Excellent book. A bit dated so some users may find that at times it's not politically correct in speaking to the genders. David Seabury gives you a new perspective on 'selfishness'. If you don't like the word 'selfishness', substitute with "self-regard" or "filling your own cup so whatever you do or give comes from the heart"
Kay Aniza
sometimes we must think of ourselves just to avoid our kindness been manipulated by others.
This book give us the other side of the stories- different prespective..
Joanna
Written in 1937 with much wisdom....The Art of Selfishness is a practical guide to contentment.
Meg
Written years ago...but still relevant.
Vinny
Vinny marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Sheyna Galyan
Sheyna Galyan marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Jennifer Sebelik
Jennifer Sebelik marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Bumphrey
Bumphrey marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Patricia Parsons Schwent
Patricia Parsons Schwent marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sankara
Sankara marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Manish Kumar
Manish Kumar marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Rh01829
Rh01829 marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Ayo
Ayo marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Henry Barry
Henry Barry marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Ann Grace
Ann Grace marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Rosa Gasull
Rosa Gasull marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Tula Minas
Tula Minas marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Valeria
Valeria marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jules
Jules added it
Aug 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
*_* 1 1 Nov 03, 2014 07:44AM
How to Live with Yourself Adventures in Self-Discovery Self Mastery Your Four Great Emotions