Start by marking “One Last Chance” as Want to Read:
One Last Chance

One Last Chance

Artie Call can't get a break. Orphaned during the Depression, he steals food to survive. When mischief lands him in juvenile court, he's offered a home by fellow ward member David Boone, but then suffers under Boone's unkind and unyielding treatment. And after Artie helps the victim of a robbery gone bad, he's abandoned by Boone and sentenced to juvenile hall. Then his luc

Published December 1st 2009 by Covenant Communications (first published April 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about One Last Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Last Chance

Tristi
May 06, 2009 Tristi rated it liked it
The year is 1932, a time of desperation for almost everyone in America as paychecks became meager and jobs were hard to find, once lost. Artie Call certainly knows the feeling of desperation in his own life. His grandfather, his only remaining family, is losing his mental capacities and Artie must resort to stealing to keep himself and his grandfather fed. He knows it’s wrong and he doesn’t want to do it, but he feels as though he has no choice. When his grandfather is taken away, it seems all ...more
Kathryn
May 13, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
Nielson
Nov 13, 2009 Nielson rated it liked it
This was the book group book for the month. It was a pretty quick read. I liked the book and thought it was really sweet. I wasn't totally hooked on it, but it did hold my attention enough to want to keep reading. It is a sweet story about a boy named Artie who lived right after the time of the depression. He had lost his parents and was living with his grandpa. His grandpa has to go and live in an care center so he goes to live with Mr. Boone who is just an awful, mean, abusive man. In the end ...more
Daron
Jun 28, 2009 Daron rated it liked it
This book should have gotten a 4 on my list. It has some great characters, a great sense of place, and a very heartwarming storyline. I really wanted to give it at least a 4. At one point in the story, there was a chapter which touched me quite deeply. It was very well written. I thought at the time I might even rate the book a 5. But then I waded through other chapters where I kept being pulled out of the story. My conclusion which dropped the rating to a 3: Too much head-hopping. So much so ...more
Ada
Nov 02, 2011 Ada rated it liked it
Artie was orphaned and steals food to survive. He's offered a home by a ward member who was hypocritical and mean. Artie is blackmailed into a robbery, after which the victim of the robbery takes him in to raise him. This book is okay and I enjoyed reading it for its feel-good story. However, it was a little unrealistic to me that all the pieces could fit together so nicely and that life could pull the best out of Artie's background. Perhaps we'd all like to think it could happen that easily and ...more
Dorry Lou
Apr 26, 2011 Dorry Lou rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was set in the very late 1920's. The depression was going on and as an orphan Artie Call steals food to survive. He goes from one trouble to another. He is taken in by a family who are not too kind to him. He is blackmailed by other crooks and almost goes to detention Center. Finally he is saved by a widow who he with others have tried to rob. She really loves him and does a lot for him. Also, her chauffeur plays a big part in him going straight. There is some suspense, ...more
Naomi Kerr
Nov 26, 2013 Naomi Kerr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-stuff
Jerry Borrowman is perhaps one of my favorite authors. This book is really a kind of Depression-era "Oliver Twist." I'm not a huge car person and so during various parts of the book where the author delves into the cars of the time, I started to skim a bit. However, the story is very powerful. I don't often tear up while reading books but this book was definitely an exception. An excellent book.
A.L. Sowards
Nov 17, 2009 A.L. Sowards rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
A sweet, uplifting coming-of-age story. It covered a few years of the main character's life, and there were a few times when I felt the story seemed abridged. That was my only complaint. Well, that and the book made me cry (just like all the author's other books). Borrowman is so good at character development, and this book was no exception. Different from his WWI and WWII books, but still enjoyable and worth the read.
Debbie
May 02, 2011 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a really good book. It shows what can happen when someone believes in someone else, even if that person has been hurt by the first one at some time. It also shows that people can change from the way they were. I liked this book just as much this time as I did the first time that I read it. I like the way Jerry Borrowman writes. My daughter liked this book also.
Shirlene
Aug 07, 2009 Shirlene rated it really liked it
Artie, an orphan during the Depression, faces a tough life when he gets into trouble with the law. He is offered opportunities to start a new life and tries to make the best of them. This is a story of a boy growing up as he discovers the value of honesty, family, and a chance to live the American dream -- and loves "cars".
Chanae
This book was ok. Not as good as Til the Boys Come Home, which I loved. Mostly this book is about cars from the 1930's. So since that topic doesn't interest me all that much it was a pretty slow and often boring read.
Heather
Feb 22, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Even though I don't really think it had much of a plot, it was still really enjoyable. The characters were very believable and the story was well put together. Read this if you love to root for the underdog.
Shellie
Dec 26, 2011 Shellie rated it really liked it
Pretty good book! There are some characters to love, and some to hate even after the book is finished. The story picks up toward the middle and then through the end. If you can get through the beginning, it is a great book! Just slow at first.
Susan
May 21, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Artie Call lives in Boise, ID, during the Depression. After his parents and grandmother dies, he tries to take care of his grandfather who has Altzheimers. With no money, he steels food so they can eat. Interesting story of growing up, cars (Duesenberg), families and love.
Cate
Mar 18, 2016 Cate rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds
I was open to reading this book and the beginning was great... but then it would just skip chunks of time going from one even to another with no bridging in between. I read a little more than half way and then put the book down.....
Andrea
Jul 09, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
At first I thought this was a little cliche, rags to riches story but it really grew on me and I loved Ray's character and Mary. I loved how they helped Artie overcome his weaknesses. This is a great read for a teen /pre-teen boy. Lots of car talk.
Deveny
Mar 18, 2011 Deveny rated it it was ok
Rough-around-the-edges boy get involved with gang, then adopted by stern but loving grandma figure, finds true love while growing up, gang comes back to make trouble but all turns out right in the end. In a nut shell.
Tara
Jul 20, 2009 Tara rated it really liked it
I liked this book. All about an abandoned teen who gets a second shot and turns his life around. The fact that I wanted to keep reading it instead of taking a nap is really saying something for me in regards to a book these days!
Becky
Mar 22, 2010 Becky rated it liked it
My 15 year old brother really liked this book and told me I should read it. It was pretty good. A 15 year old boy would probably like it better :)
Stacy
Aug 31, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
A very different story than much of the LDS fiction I read. It was a bit slow moving, but had likable characters and a decent story.
Nancy
Mar 19, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
I liked the hero. There was a lot of info about old cars like the Duesenberg. It takes place in Boise with a little time in 30"s New York.
It's LDS fiction.
Heather
Aug 31, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
There were some really touching parts of the book, but at the end the characters were mostly two dimensional to me. I would still recommend it though for a fun read.
Michelle Llewellyn
Oct 03, 2010 Michelle Llewellyn rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to like this book so much. Loved all four books in the Til the Boys Come Home series, how could this book possibly be as good? I love it when I'm wrong. More please, Mr. Borrowman?
Connie
Apr 23, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
Good human interest story full of wonderful life's lessons. Listened to this book with Tom on our way back home from UT. The trip went by so fast.
Rosalie
Aug 22, 2009 Rosalie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes LDS/Historical Fiction
I didn't think this was as wonderful as some of Jerry Borrowman's other books (probably because I don't have a big interest in cars) but I still enjoyed it.
Andrea
Jan 04, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Very interesting story that took place during the Depression. I liked the characters, and the overall storyline, but felt that there was too much detail at times.
Rachel
Sep 14, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
This was actually a pretty endearing story. It is along the slower stories for me, not a genre I'm particularly fond of, but I did like this one. An easy read with interesting characters.
Brian
Jan 12, 2014 Brian rated it liked it
Nice change of pace from the books I've been reading. This was a good story about a troubled boy changing his life, but I did get tired of everything going constantly going wrong.
Nadine Smith
Feb 06, 2013 Nadine Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I really enjoyed this book. A great book about the worth of a soul and how love and believing in a person can change a life. Also it shows how hate and jealously only brings misery.
Swhe641200
Aug 26, 2009 Swhe641200 rated it really liked it
Edith Brown's Book. This was a great book about adverity and what can happen in your life in regard to how you react to what life throws at you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Alma
  • Traitor (Traitor, #1)
  • Missing in Action
  • Murder by the Book (Kennedy Killingsworth, #1)
  • A Distant Prayer
  • Within the Dark Hills
  • If I Should Die
  • Safe Passage
  • Autumn Sky
  • The Undaunted : The Miracle of the Hole-in-the-Rock Pioneers
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 2: Times That Try Men's Souls
  • Power of Deliverance (The Promised Land, #2)
Jerry Borrowman is a best-selling author of fourteen published books, most military fiction and co-authored biography. He and Rudi Wobbe, co-authors of Three Against Hitler, are recipients of the prestigious George Washington National Medal of the Freedom Foundation at Valley Forge,"for their contribution to the cause of freedom."

Jerry is known for his meticulous attention to historical detail, in
More about Jerry Borrowman...