Start by marking “Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy” as Want to Read:
Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy

Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy

With gas and food prices soaring, there's more need than ever before for Jonni McCoy's Miserly Moms. Jonni shares the money-saving strategies that allowed her family to transition from two incomes to one. These practical, proven strategies, tips, and recipes will help anyone live frugally without feeling deprived. Real-life examples show how anyone can learn to live more ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Miserly Moms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miserly Moms

Lori Kincaid Rassati
Jul 28, 2010 Lori Kincaid Rassati rated it did not like it
I was not impressed. If you've been trying to cut back for any length of time and/or are familiar with any of the *how to* tips that most folks suggest, then this book is just more of the same. And even though she tries to address working moms at some point, her whole concept is based on going from two incomes to one. I'm a working single parent already living on one income. I don't have time (nor do I really care) to save 15 cents by making my own muffin mix or save $1 by making my own playdoh ...more
Lindsey
Jul 17, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
What this book is about:

Have you been thinking about becoming a full-time stay-at-home mom? Are you trying to cut costs and save money for your family? Maybe you would just like to learn to live frugally but comfortably? Then this book is for you!

Okay, so in my opinion this book is for anyone - moms, dads, singles... anyone who would be interested in some great tips on saving money and living healthier can benefit from Miserly Moms. I find it to be an invaluable resource that I'm sure moms will
Lisa
Sep 27, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I will not claim that I am the budget queen or that when I set goals I always obtain said goals; but as my girlfriends can attest I love learning how other ladies do things and like taking their ideas and then trying to apply them. That is probably why I loved this book so much. I found reading it was so enjoyable that I had a hard time putting it down, something that doesn't regularly happen to me when reading books like this. Normally it takes me forever to get into the book and every time I ...more
Piaget91
Feb 10, 2010 Piaget91 rated it it was amazing
This book is an incredible information source on how to save money (by smart planning not cutting crazy coupons), cook basic things from scratch, and think about the cost of food differently.

I bought this book in case it had a good tip or two for meal planning/grocery shoppping, and have come away with great ideas for having pancake, soup, and biscuit mix cheap and on hand at all times, as well as real solutions for saving more at the grocery store (and I already spend very little and make most
Susanhayeshotmail.com
Feb 04, 2010 Susanhayeshotmail.com rated it really liked it
I have waffled between a three star or four star rating. This is a good little book, packed with some good guidelines, including some solid advice regarding some ways to be penny wise but pound foolish, so I'll give it the four. The reason I waffled is that I didn't actually learn much myself and I don't agree with her claim that a freezer is not a good budget saving tool. To be frank I find it amazing that people do not already use many of these basic money saving tactics, planning menus around ...more
Trish
Sep 03, 2014 Trish rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014
I have mixed feeling about this book. I liked a lot of what the author's thinking porcess on most thinkgs for example using coupons/ getting it cheap or free on items that you don't use is not really a deal. Another example is cloth diapers vs dispoal diaper. She takes all the cost of cleaning the cloth diapers into consideration. There are some parts in the book I didn't think were updated like there is no metioning how to budget in home internet.I didn't like how everything goes back to 1991. ...more
Elizabeth Fryer
Mar 25, 2011 Elizabeth Fryer rated it it was amazing
Great info for working and stay-at-home moms. I appreciated the info on the "cost of working", I never realized how much it cost me just to have a job, no wonder I never had any money back then. The recipes are pretty good too, the cinnamon rolls are to die for, except I added 1 cup Cool Whip to the frosting for a fluffier texture and creamy flavor. It definatly makes me realize that when I go back to work someday, I will need do a lot of meal planning and budgeting in order to save money so ...more
mandy
Jul 05, 2010 mandy rated it liked it
Would like to cut back my hours at work, so decided to check this book out for tips. It is a revised version of a much older book, and a lot of the resources cited are still from the early 90s or even before.

Same old, same old, really...
Make food from scratch.
Buy used.
Staycation instead of vacation.
Bargain shop
Coupon clip
etc etc etc

Some helpful recipes for make-your-own mixes and such, but otherwise, just so-so.
Maggie Hall
Apr 22, 2011 Maggie Hall rated it it was ok
Some of this information I already knew- like wash clothes in cold water, etc. But it has some good recipes and formulas for money saving meals, playdoh, cleaning agents, etc. Worth a skim but unless you can change the way you shop (like going to several stores and only once a month) hard to put into play all the tips. With two little kids, I can't linger that long in the aisles or split my list too much before the peanut gallery rebels!
pianogal
Apr 28, 2015 pianogal rated it liked it
Parts of this book are good - this is probably the best one of her's I've read. But she still gets SOOOOOO listy about everything. She's got some good stuff, but you have to dig through to find it. There are also sections in this book that are repeats from her other books, so you can skip those if you've already read them.

Not my favorite author. I feel like she has good frugal ideas, but she needs to make her writing a little more frugal as well.
Molly
May 18, 2011 Molly rated it did not like it
This book is about moms going home to stay with their children. It makes no reference to the economy and makes no bones about being an overtly christian and mom-staying-home-centric book, although the tips are applicable to anyone. It's full of tips that are not particularly useful to anyone who has ever read a book about being frugal, although she does mention that there are better deals buying off brands than there are clipping coupons. I gave it a one.
Kristin
Aug 02, 2011 Kristin rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-nightstand
Turns out I AM the cheapest person alive. Can't think of one thing I learned here, although in general its good, thrifty advice. Guess I was just a wartime housewife in my past life, after all. She could have done less of the I'm a Christian, stay-at-home mom because I'm better than you vibe, though.
Tatiana
Oct 27, 2009 Tatiana rated it it was amazing
This book was really informative. McCoy has a lot of great ideas on how to cut back. I plan on implementing a lot of them. I enjoyed her personal experiences, her insights into how important stay-at-home mothers are, and all the information (from healthy foods, to making your own crafts, to making your own homemade cleaning supplies) she provided. Definitely worth a read!
Amber
Jan 17, 2011 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
One of the more practical books on living a thrifty lifestyle that I've read. I like that the author admits she loves luxuries and pays for them when she can. Most books take the stance that you can NEVER pay full-price for anything or buy anything just for the pure joy of it. Excited to try some of her hints and receipes.
Jen
Jun 03, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
I found this book to be very helpful, and I plan on implementing many of her suggestions. I like that you don't necessarily have to do every single thing in the book to save money. I have to say, however, I was a little thrown by the pretty strong Christian message in the book, which I wasn't expecting. Overall, the book was helpful, which is what I was looking for.
Melanie
Not bad but definitely geared towards families with multiple children. Lots of emphasis on things like parties and entertaining and with grody (read: budget) recipes. Good info on the economics of a second working parent.
Kristen
Dec 09, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
This book gave me some great tips on how to save money. It didn't leave me feeling like I have to give up everything. I especially like the suggestions on grocery shopping and making items at home. I hope to implement some of these ideas to save $$.
Emelda
Sep 19, 2010 Emelda rated it liked it
Shelves: frugality
Most of this stuff you probably know if you'd ever read any frugal books/websites but it was a little better then I thought it would be, I learned a few new things. Plus, it had a ranch dressing recipe! Vegan, homemade ranch yay!
Hillary
Oct 19, 2011 Hillary rated it it was amazing
This was a great money saving book. Lots of good ideas to try, including new recipes and kid activities, and homemade cleaning products. Nice. I love that she explains that her reason for saving money is so she can manage to stay home with her kids, even in expensive San Francisco!
Debbie
Apr 28, 2012 Debbie rated it it was ok
This book is OK. Most of the info seems like basic common sense to me. But I suppose if someone is in a double-income family who wants one parent to stay home, or someone who spends more than they earn, this info would probably be useful.
Maria
Jan 24, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it
Excellent book, if you aren't already doing what she's telling you to do. Did give me some ideas though.
Kelly Decoteau
Jan 27, 2014 Kelly Decoteau rated it liked it
Shelves: mommy-lit
Full of good info but mostly things I already do. Inspired me to take a look at our utility bills and see where I can cut costs.
Suzanne
May 28, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-challenge
This book had some interesting ideas, but nothing that was that inovative. Worth a quick scan, but don't hope to gain any enormous insights.
Susiane
Mar 27, 2011 Susiane rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It talked about one womans decision to cut back and save money in order to be a stay at home mom. Good tips on ways to cut back, even just a little bit.
Dec 07, 2011 Sarah rated it did not like it
Thought this book was boring. Ended up just glancing through it. Might try a few recipes from it. Not too impressed. I think it was the writing style...nothing really grabbed my attention.
Amy
Oct 28, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Lots of good info. on saving money, unfortunately for me, I already knew most of it. Good for a new wife/mother looking for ways to save money.
Diana Nelson
Aug 20, 2009 Diana Nelson rated it liked it
Lots of helpful info, but lots I already knew. Good recipies for household cleaners. Looking into her new cheap but nutritious cookbook now.
Lisa
Jan 03, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
I didn't think that the info was anything revolutionary or anything I hadn't heard before. If you were just starting out on a more frugal path, then this book might be good for you.
Kristine
Sep 11, 2009 Kristine rated it really liked it
There are some excellent tips in this book. I highly recommend it if you are trying to cut back on your grocery budget.
Caren Wyatt
Jul 09, 2013 Caren Wyatt rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Good, some of the topics got a little more in depth than I would want to go (grocery shopping), but a very good reference.
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • Be Thrifty: How to Live Better with Less
  • Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey: Save BIG Money & Make the Grocery Aisle Your Catwalk!
  • The Money Saving Mom's Budget: Slash Your Spending, Pay Down Your Debt, Streamline Your Life, and Save Thousands a Year
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • The Sexually Confident Wife: Connecting with Your Husband Mind Body Heart Spirit
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • Stupid Things Parents Do to Mess Up Their Kids
  • America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money: Your Guide to Living Better, Spending Less, and Cashing in on Your Dreams
  • The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of Americans Living Happily Below Their Means
  • Bottled Up: How the Way We Feed Babies Has Come to Define Motherhood, and Why It Shouldn’t
  • Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping & Cooking Frugally
  • Debt Free Living
  • Economics for Real People: An Introduction to the Austrian School
  • On a Dollar a Day: One Couple's Unlikely Adventures in Eating in America
  • Family Feasts for $75 a Week: A Penny-wise Mom Shares Her Recipe for Cutting Hundreds from Your Monthly Food Bill
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life