Start by marking “Roast Chicken & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Roast Chicken & Other Stories

Roast Chicken & Other Stories

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  570 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Simon Hopkinson's 40 favourite ingredients include such everyday basics as potatoes, chicken and cod as well as more exotic foods such as asparagus and truffles. The book is arranged alphabetically with a chapter on each food. Unable to hide his great love of food, Hopkinson writes about why he likes each particular ingredient, and gives sesnsible advice on quality, variet ...more
Published December 1st 1996 by Trafalgar Square Publishing (first published May 27th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Roast Chicken & Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roast Chicken & Other Stories

Tami
I found Roast Chicken and Other Stories a little different from the other cookbooks that I've used. The thing I like most about this book is the conversational tone throughout the book. Even while working through the recipes, I felt like I was having a nice conversation with the author. He'd tell me about the places he'd travelled, why he'd added this recipe to the book, or about an interesting experience. I think that perhaps this friendly, down to earth tone made me a little more willing to tr ...more
Stephanie
Hopkinson is a culinary reactionary in a mostly endearingly cranky way. This was the "it book" in the culinary world a few years ago. I looked at it in Politics and Prose but didn't think I needed recipes for brains, liver, kidneys, grouse, cod, smoked haddock, sweetbreads, or tripe. The "most useful cookbook of all time" blurb made me laugh--only in England! But he includes more enticing foods too: the simple pleasures of asparagus, chicken, chocolate, cream, eggs, endive, spinach, potatoes. He ...more
Jeremy
"The most useful cookbook of all time"... perhaps, if you have brains lying around on the shelf, or mutton. I cannot speak for the recipes in the book, since I did not cook any: but then, none looked particularly appealing. It is filled with sporadic, cutting criticisms of select foods, cooking styles, and eating styles, in a faux "matter-of-fact" tone that has become an ample substitute for food acumen. I don't doubt his acumen, really, but I don't care to follow along, either.
Rae
I love books about food. So I was very excited to read this after a glowing article in the NYT Magazine food column (12/2/07). It had knocked Harry Potter off the top of the UK Amazon bestsellers list and was described by Waitrose, a British food magazine as "the most useful cookbook of all time" Wow!
So...I was a little perplexed when this wonder book turned out to be very slight (lots of white space) and with no illustrations to speak of. Divided into 40 alphabetical chapters, each highlights a
kirk
Undoubtedly, this book is misnamed. (It is a recipe book, not a story book.) And perhaps it is overly-praised. I imagine every recipe in this book tastes perfect, but only if one's palate has been cultivated in a particular way.

Mr. Hopkinson has no use for the avant-garde, saying that their ideas are very often "misguided." He claims that good cooking is a blend of common sense and good taste, and prefers to please diners rather than impress them.

I *do* very much enjoy reading this book. The p
Jill
I wanted to like this book, but the problems started when I realized I was looking at a book about roast chicken instead of roasted garlic, and it just went downhill from there. The idea is good - a cookbook arranged in alphabetical order by ingredient, with a little something about said ingredient to introduce it. However, this man seems to have a generally limited palate. He seems to like blander items and LOTS of meat. The recipes tend to be very heavy on butter and heavy cream, and I haven't ...more
Steve
I had somehow never heard of this book, even though I've come to understand it's pretty famous. Roast Chicken is a very personal cookbook annotated with both practical cooking advice and great stories, which is my favorite kind of cookbook. Hopkinson has a great love of food. It's obvious when you find yourself reading the kidney section (the book is organized by ingredient) and thinking that they don't sound bad.
The book doesn't have a common thread (other than it's the author's musings on food
Whitney Archibald
May 08, 2009 Whitney Archibald rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Whitney by: Tamsin
Shelves: cooking
This is a hybrid between a food memoir and a cookbook. My best explanation for it is that it was like taking a private cooking class from a famous chef with a great personality -- minus the tasting part, unfortunately. I love how he organized the book. He chooses one main ingredient, writes a brief essay about it, then follows it with delightfully chatty recipes, which include tips and techniques.

My only beef with the book is that he goes on and on about how simplicity, good ingredients, and go
Karima
WARNING:
NOT for the cholesterol conscious!
Heavy on meat, butter, cream. Here is an example of some of the chapters:
Brains. Cépes. Cream. Grouse. Hake. Kidneys. Liver. Rabbit. Squab. Sweetbreads. Tripe. Get the picture?
Each chapter of this book is launched with meditations on whatever food the chapter is highlighting. No photographs but lovely little watercolors, just one per chapter.
The author felt that his book would be a success because, in his words, it is filled with, "Nice things......you w
Philippa
Endearing and friendly book, lots of interesting ideas. Can't imagine I will cook all that much from it but I liked reading it. Particularly enjoyed the "fanfare" sections where the author pays tribute to a cook or food writer who has inspired him.
Pat
A nice little book, but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. The "stories" are more like essays, and at only about a page long, there's not a lot there. The recipes sound good (I didn't try any), but the novel-sized layout of the book makes it impractical for actually reading while cooking.

I love that the book was organized by ingredient, though -- spanning the more traditional asparagus and endive to the more adventurous brains and tripe, with plenty or recipes for each. The short sections
Liz De Coster
I'd call this book 'adorable,' if it didn't sound so patronizing. I'm not normally a fan of cookbooks in this style - no pictures (I love food pr0n), tiny font on small pages, etc - but the writing and descriptions in this book made me feel ... happier. It's the sort of book I'd like to curl up with in bed, in hopes that it will lead to lovely water-colored dreams.

Unfortunately, many of the ingredients described in the book are outside of the range of what I eat. So, happiness aside, I will pro
Yuki
May 15, 2008 Yuki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies and folks interested in English chefs
I have a new appreciation for Anchovy.. Not quite ready for Brain (but I won't refuse to try it).. The recipe for roast Chicken is spot on - nearly identical to my tried-and-true "Real Simple" magazine recipe and what I've gleaned from James Beard cookbooks. Had opp to try monkfish liver sushi and it IS just like foie gras! Chapters are in alphabetical order, which is a little odd, but highlights interesting foods. I like the watercolor illustrations - don't expect photos of finished dishes.
Robin
OK, there is no way that this is the "most useful cookbook of all time." But it's funny, and personal, with great stories about food, and a strong point of view, and I love it.

I love the recipes for more out-there ingredients, and the unabashed usage of butter and cream in large quantities.

I'll never cook everything in it, but the things I have cooked have been great (with the exception of the roast chicken, actually--fine but unremarkable).
Peter
Excellent cookbook. Hopkinson's stories about each ingredient read like they're from an old friend, and the book itself could be kept in the kitchen or by your bed to read at night. It's short, but filled with interesting recipes by ingredient (though some, like brains, I'm not wont to try soon) that are a mix of classic, useful, and avant-garde. I would suggest this as a supplement to whatever mainstay cookbooks you already own.
Molly
The Times Dining section recommended this book recently. I found it at a used bookstore, where I happened to be WITHOUT A WALLET, but my accommodating spouse bought it for me. (I hope he will benefit down the road.) The review was right. This is a cookbook in disguise: no photos, small size, it feels more like a small, artsy little volume. The writing is enjoyable. I haven't cooked from it yet.
Gillian
This is a book that I bought when I was really first learning to cook (not, of course, that you ever stop learning really). Hopkinson takes one classic ingredient per chapter and talks through its virtues and uses before leading the salivating reader through a selection of lovely recipes featuring the highlighted ingredient. Fab, and another book I come back to frequently.
Amy
Hoping for a few more stories than recipes, I have to say that I really won't be going back to the book for the in-depth recipes. If you are looking for good British food or if your idea of great food is deep fried anything, anchovies, or eggplant, than this is the book for you. (Not that I dislike any of these items, but just not what I was expecting.)
Fiona715
I just started reading this book which was named one of the best cookbooks of 2007 by a number of sources. Tonight I made the simple roast chicken and it was fabulous! Seriously, lemon juice, tarragon, thyme, garlic and butter combine for one of the juiciest (and simplest) meals I've had in ages. Can't wait to explore the rest of this book.
Maggie
I'm conflicted about this book. On the one hand, it's kind of charming and cranky, and his voice is strong and sure. On the other hand, I have no desire to cook anything in it, except maybe one or two things, maybe. I think a cookbook should have you salivating and dashing into the kitchen.
Sheral
I really enjoyed how the author got his inspiration for the recipes that he uses or invents.
This would be a nice book to own for anyone looking at cookbooks more than any other book.
Its always nice to hear how a person comes up with their interpretation of a recipe or technique.
Birgitta
A good read and good, mainly British and French classical recipes. Just tried 'Slow-braised belly pork with soy, ginger and garlic' and it was lovely, very good flavours but still very simple to make (used pressure cooker so didn't take more than about an hour in total)
Thaddeus Croyle
I wanted to like this book more, but it just wasn't the book I was expecting. I wanted longer essays and fewer recipes. There were recipes in here I'd try, but most were reprinted from other places I'd be more likely to look first; the curse of the slim generalist cookbook.
Nick
Haven't totally decided whether this is a cookbook or a book of essays. The recipes I've tried have been quite good, though they're very idiosyncratic in their selection (which I guess is the idea). Perhaps less suited overall to the kitchen than the bookshelf.
Marianne
This is a great book. I heard about it on NPR as a good book to get as a gift for a chef. I finally ordered it to give to the chef in our family. When it came, it looked interesting, so I picked it up and started reading. Wonderful insights on foods and cooking.
christy
this book is fantastic! each chapter is a litle anecdote about a recipe ingredient and then a handful of recipes using that ingredient. and its british so its recipes/stories about inns in seaside villages or pubs.
Melinda
Much more of a normal cook book than I was expecting based on the title. Being veg I wasn't in need of any new offal based recipes but I did enjoy his odes to eggplant, garlic and the like.
Beka
This is formatted like a book, so for me it lost some of it's appeal. I enjoyed the writing and recipes, but I desperately missed the photography. We really do eat with our eyes.
Phredric
I was expecting anecdotes rather than a cookbook, and as a cookbook it didn't live up to the hype of being the best cookbook ever: too much offal and receipes collected from elsewhere.
Julie
Apr 18, 2008 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies, cooks
Recommended to Julie by: Scott Laule
I love the food-dictionary format of this book, the way it combines recipes with stories of memories each ingredient inspires. I haven't cooked anything from it yet, but plan to soon.
  • Real Fast Food
  • Italian Food
  • The Flavour Thesaurus: Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook
  • Moro: The Cookbook
  • Thai Food
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
  • New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup
  • 660 Curries
  • Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why They Work
  • American Food Writing: An Anthology: With Classic Recipes
  • How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
  • Delia's Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
  • The New Book of Middle Eastern Food
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
Second Helpings of Roast Chicken The Good Cook The Vegetarian Option The Prawn Cocktail Years Week In Week Out

“A good cook can produce a good dish from any old scrawnbag of a chook. ” 4 likes