Start by marking “Drachenruf” as Want to Read:
Drachenruf

Drachenruf (Harper Hall of Pern #2)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  34,232 Ratings  ·  581 Reviews
Die junge Menolly führt mit ihrer Familie auf dem unwirtlichen Planeten Pern ein karges und entbehrungsreiches Leben. Doch nun kommt es – wie alle 200 Jahre – zu einer echten Bedrohung des Planeten durch einen roten Stern. Früher konnten die Drachenreiter den Untergang Perns verhindern. Aber jetzt sind die Drachen fast ausgestorben und nur Menolly kann sie wiederfinden ...
Published 2009 by cbt (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Drachenruf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drachenruf

Sebastien Castell
I won't go into depth as this is a book I've read several times since first encountering it as a teenager ages ago and there are literally hundreds of detailed reviews. One thing that inspires me about Dragonsinger, though, is that it doesn't follow the contemporary form of having everything go wrong for the main character all the way through until the end. In contrast, Menolly actually succeeds in almost every chapter--a victory for her shared with the reader--and yet somehow McCaffrey still ma ...more
Jessica
Jan 26, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the Harper Hall books! There's something so satisfying about Menolly, who went through hell in the first book, being treated like a princess, and shown around the Harper Hall. Getting new clothes, meeting new friends, finding out that her scarred hand will heal . . . just so satisfying!
Janni
Dragonsinger is very much one of those books that, while on the surface about music--Menolly, the protagonist, is a young musician who's just gotten the chance to train professionally, essentially, after earlier being told she had no right to play at all--is really about pursuing any art.

Dragonsinger falls a bit more strongly toward believing that artists are somehow a little different than others, something I'm not convinced of. But mostly it gets things right, and there's one thing I noticed t
Mike (the Paladin)
Menolly's story continues and the books continue to be enjoyable. Not great literature, but nice.
Shellie
Nov 15, 2008 Shellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who love fantasy
Loved this series! Read it as a teenager and was sad to see the author was gaining in years. Eagerly awaited each of her books and read them in one sitting as often as I could. I have read these books countless times and own all except one that I can't find anymore (will check on line). Anne McCaffrey is amazing and a gift to readers. What a drag she is done writing!!!!
Harold Ogle
I think it’s hard for modern readers to imagine the cultural landscape back before fantasy became commonplace and widely accepted. Back when McCaffrey wrote this, before Star Wars, there was very little presence of fantasy in pop culture. Sure, there was plenty of good fantasy to read if you knew where to look, but for most of the general populace, awareness of fantasy was limited to The Lord of the Rings, which had been published twenty years earlier. So when McCaffrey published her Pern novels ...more
Doreen
Nov 20, 2009 Doreen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Misogynists.
Gross. I would strongly discourage my daughters from reading this because it encourages a certain kind of female I can't stand: the girl who doesn't get along with other girls (to whom I always want to say "The other girls don't hate you because you're 'special', they hate you because you're insufferable.") The tolerable, even interesting Menolly from the first book (which I gave 4 stars, by the way) disappears into a freaking Mary-Sue, oh so talented, yet so modest, championed by the "good" guy ...more
Meg Cabot
Jul 12, 2014 Meg Cabot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book rocked my world in 8th grade. Plus, dragons!
Simon Mcleish
Aug 21, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in September 2000.

Although, one of the lightest novels in the Pern series, Dragonsinger is one of my favourites. I find it very evocative of what it feels like to take pleasure in making music. McCaffery is of course musical (she was an opera producer before taking up writing), and music plays an important part in a fair number of her novels (the Crystal Singer series and The Ship Who Sang as well as several of the Pern series).

Dragonsinger follows on immedia
Cris
May 29, 2015 Cris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I adored the new setting and characters in this book. The ending truly hit me in a personal way and moved me. I will not forget Menolly and her struggles for some time yet.
Paradoxical
Haha, this is so very much a feel good book. Menolly never really struggles with anything, and her troubles are rather shallow compared to all of her advantages, but I can't help but like the book anyway.

Menolly is finally in Harper Hall and she is training to be a Harper. It turns out (well, we knew this already to a degree) that she's a prodigy and can play instruments to a high degree, make them, and compose songs. Of course this gains her a lot of jealousy, though only really on behalf of a
TheFountainPenDiva
In Dragonsigner Book two of the Harper Hall trilogy, Menolly finally comes to the Harper Hall and here begins her new life, but not without serious growing pains. Her possession of nine fire lizards doesn't make her popular with some in the hall and like most novels of this type, Menolly finds herself dealing with the "mean girl" contingent of Pern. She makes friends with the irrepressible Piemur and begins a lifelong platonic love with Masterharper Robinton. As she slowly grows into her craft, ...more
Maria Elmvang
This is one of those books that would have been too short practically no matter how long it was. One of my very favourite books, and one of my introductions to the fantasy genre. I love the atmosphere it describes, and would love to experience some lessons at Harper Hall myself... even though I'd probably be more likely to be one of the clueless girls (although not as cruel I hope) than Menolly.

I love the lyrics that start off each chapter. Usually when books have lyrics or poems as introduction
Gillian Murrell
Oct 08, 2016 Gillian Murrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series Menolly stands up to the bullies in Harper Hall while making friends for the first time in her life. The fire lizards are growing and starting to become useful in all sorts of unexpected ways.
Shadi ***save your ratings use disclaimers**
Even after my 15th reread (this one through audiobook) I still love the hell out of the first two books in this series.
Alexa
Mar 05, 2015 Alexa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
4.5 stars.
Brooke Wayne
Apr 03, 2017 Brooke Wayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite books. It's my go-to book whenever I don't have anything to read. First of all, dragons. And tiny dragons. And riding dragons. And dragon riders. I. Love. Dragons.
Second, this book has to deal a lot with music and playing music, which is basically my life. It's fascinating seeing my passion through someone else's live. Seeing as I play four instruments, I was delighted to read a book with a heroine that loves playing music like I do.
Another thing I liked (even thoug
Wastrel
A surprisingly peculiar book, of which I am very fond, and which I will re-read many times in the future - but probably not a very GOOD book, if we're honest.

Peculiar because it is heroically uninterested in conventional plot and structure. It's a girl, in a school, going to lessons, in a fantasy world. That's pretty much it. The school is a music school, which is a big part of why I love it. Unfortunately, nothing happens, which sort of limits the excitement. And the characters are... poor, to
Adi Greif
(See review for Dragonsong). Again, I loved this series and this book as a child. But upon rereading, I find it slow and unclear in its moral message. The main character is an unrealistic mix of traits -- she was essentially emotionally abused as a child and thus is generally overly apologetic and scared of not being liked. Most of the adults constantly praise her humbleness and meek attitude while simultaneously telling her to stop apologizing and believe in herself. Despite her meekness, she o ...more
Kerry
Jan 19, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 8, sf, reread, 2013
It was lovely to get back to Menolly and finish off her first story, since Dragonsong is in a way only half a book. That's the story of how Menolly gets to the Harper Hall, while this is the story of how she finds her place there and sets herself up for the future we will see, if as a side character, in later books.

On this reread, I find myself thinking that Dragonsong is a stronger book. The emotion is more powerful and it's a much more personal, perhaps because I felt I was deeper inside Menol
An Odd1
Feb 19, 2011 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
** "Dragonsinger" is quiet and leisurely, the second Pern fantasy by Ireland-based Anne McCaffrey, with sometimes Celtic terminology for the dragon rider world. A theme, that parents are cruel and wrong to force artistic children into more practical seeming occupations, is reinforced. The plot seems to be leisurely establishing relationships, separating friend from foe permanently. A paragraph condenses the first book, wherein kind Master minstrel finds musically talented fishing hold outcast te ...more
Vickey Foggin
Mar 24, 2016 Vickey Foggin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You're a Harper, Menolly". This is the Harry Potter of Pern novel. Menolly finds out she is welcome at Harper Hall/Hogwarts, the elite school for harpers/wizards. When she arrives she finds she is already famous as the mysterious lost apprentice/boy who lived. Silvana/Molly Weasley is kind and motherly to her in a way she has never known before. The headmaster Robinton/Dumbledore takes a special interest in her and her training. One teacher, Morshal/Snape inexplicably hates her. Another student ...more
Crystal Anderson
Feb 08, 2017 Crystal Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as good the second time around!
Amy
Mar 22, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2013
Just picked these up off of a shelf; forgot how good they are and had a great time reliving how much I loved them in the sixth grade. These are the kinds of books around which I have deeply specific material and emotional memories--I remember the exact shelf in our tiny little school library where I found them, and the tremendous relief and escape they afforded me during those years. This isn't so much a review as special sharing, but that's how special these books were to me: I can't really be ...more
Sara J.
Jan 22, 2017 Sara J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Pern books may just be my guilty pleasure. A YA Mary Sue written way before those terms/genres ever came into being hence invalidating any negative connotations that may immediately crop up with those two labels for me. Or I may just be unduly biased to Pern (not that my wide ranging 3-Pern-book-total-read experience is any indication). I guess you may take this review with a grain of salt. I enjoyed reading this, YMMV.

Source: Bought used off Better World Books.
Mazil
Mar 29, 2015 Mazil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite accidentally reading this for a second time, and being only a mild fan of Pern, I still enjoyed this the second time around.

I think these first two Harper Hall books are *almost* more enjoyable than the Dragonriders trilogy, if you appreciate the musical aspects and enjoy a coming of age story.

But I think you would miss the deeper understanding of the world of Pern, so perhaps these are best enjoyed as a light, sweet refreshment on the side.
Cass
Jun 18, 2010 Cass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All my friends
This is my favourite book in the trilogy centered around Menolly and Harper Hall on Anne McCaffrey's beloved Pern. For some reason I always feel inspired after reading it, perhaps because this book is set in a college of sorts full of students learning their craft.

I reread this book series every couple of years and it will always remain a favourite, thus making it impossible for me to ever review objectively.
Carole-Ann
Mar 21, 2016 Carole-Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Enjoyably following Menolly into HarperHall and all the curmudgeonly Masters who test/try anyone's patience (not just Menolly!)

I'd forgotten how bouncy and impertinent Piemur was in his youth :) but the whole thing is grinningly warm and lovely - even though we still don't get to the Big Ones yet - Menolly's Fire Lizards still paving the way.
Jo Woolfardis
[Short and quick review before I re-read and re-review at a later date:

I don't think I'd given these books enough of my time so I might try and re-enter the world for another go, particularly considering the depth of the series. But I feel like it was very of it's time and, even though I shouldn't be, I was disappointed it wasn't written better.]
Dayna
Dec 21, 2008 Dayna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of all time. Terrific story and characters, creative world, and a bunch of music geeks- what's not to like? Also, the bad people get what's coming to them, and I always like that.
A Million More Pages: 2 - Dragonsinger (Harper Hall): Jul 11 5 10 Jul 18, 2015 01:17PM
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3)
  • The Forbidden Tower (Darkover, #12)
  • Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Harper Hall of Pern (3 books)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)

“The tears I feel today
I'll wait to shed tomorrow.
Though I'll not sleep this night
Nor find surcease from sorrow.
My eyes must keep their sight:
I dare not be tear-blinded.
I must be free to talk
Not choked with grief, clear-minded.
My mouth cannot betray
The anguish that I know.
Yes, I'll keep my tears til later:
But my grief will never go.”
705 likes
“Don't leave me alone!
A cry in the night,
Of anguish heart-stiking,
Of soul-killing fright.

Live for my living
Or else I must die
Don't leave me alone.
A world heard that cry.”
56 likes