Dark Tiger (Stoney Calhoun, #3)

Dark Tiger (Stoney Calhoun #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Seven years ago, Stoney Calhoun woke up in a VA hospital with no memories and a series of unexplained talents (language ability, weapons expertise, etc.). Since then he’s been living quietly, working as a part time fishing guide and co-owner of a local bait shop—with an unnamed visitor coming around occasionally to see if he’s regained any memories.

But this time, the visit...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Tiger

The Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne JewettEmpire Falls by Richard RussoThe Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn ChuteThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. Pendleton
Books Set in Maine
77th out of 126 books — 56 voters
The Gray Ghost Murders by Keith McCaffertyThe Royal Wulff Murders by Keith McCaffertyThe Nail Knot by John GalliganWicked Eddies by Beth GroundwaterHook, Line & Sinister by T. Jefferson Parker
Best Fly Fishing Mysteries
11th out of 40 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Keith
Meet the world's most laconic special agent: Stoney Calhoun, an occasional Maine fishing guide who runs a sport shop with a beautiful female partner. We learn he woke up some years back in a VA hospital with no memories and unexplained talents for languages, weaponry, etc. Apparently, on occasion, a mysterious stranger appears and through intimidation or logic convinces him he should take on assignments that he is perfectly well suited for. As readers of course, we have no idea why he coalesces...more
LJ
First Sentence: Stonewall Jackson Calhoun was sweeping the floor around the display of chest waders and hop books when the bell dinged over the door, signaling that somebody had come into Kat’es Bait, Tackle, and Woolly Buggers shop.

Stoney Calhoun has a lot of military-type skills but no memory of how he came by them. But The Man in the Suit checks periodically checks on him to see whether any memories have returns. Now the Man needs his help and Stoney can’t refuse.

An operative and a young wo...more
Barbara
William Tapply has provided me with many satisfying hours of reading. His writing is solid and personable. His characterizations are well-conceived and true to form. Stoney Calhoun is his latest major character, who has more problems in his life than prior protagonists, but his actions are believable. Although this was not Tapply's best I enjoyed it and certainly will continue to read his novels.
Leslie
Not quite as good as the other 2 Calhoun novels but good, fast, interesting read. Worth the time.
Eric_W
"Ten thousand volts of electricity had wiped out Stoney Calhoun's memories of his entire previous life, which, he figured, was a mixed blessing, at least. As well as he could tell, though, getting zapped by lightning hadn't affected his talents and abilities. The last seven years-his new life, and the only one he knew-had turned out to be a great adventure in self-discovery.”

That’s the premise behind this very charming series of mystery stories. Stoney is visited periodically by the Man in the S...more
Suspense Magazine
“Dark Tiger” is William Tapply’s latest installment in the Stoney Calhoun series and unfortunately, will be one of his last due to Mr. Tapply’s recent passing. Stoney is trying to live his life out peacefully as a co-owner of a bait and tackle shop just outside Portland, Maine. He has no recollection of his former life since waking up in a VA hospital seven years prior. He is often visited by the “Man in the Suit” who checks to see if Stoney has regained any of his memories and also has “jobs” f...more
Joe
Jun 13, 2012 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
#3 and the final installment of the Stoney Calhoun character by Willaim G. Tapply. VERY sorry to say, Mr. Tapply passed away after completing this book and he will be very much missed.
I am and have been a huge fan of his, having read all of his Brady Coyne series and this Stoney Calhoun series as well as the titles he co-authored with Philip Craig.
Mr Tapply was and will alway be one of my favorite authors.

Dark Tiger as well as Gray Ghost, are both names of fishing lures, that have been made for...more
Grey853
Barbara
I only knew this author by his Boston lawyer, Brady Coyne, mysteries. This is one in a series of books starring amnesiac Stoney Calhoun. The theme is reminiscent of the Bourne Identity franchise and I find the literary concept of amnesia overworked. Nonetheless, Stoney is compelling and the remote Maine fishing resort a colorful setting.
judy
I've read all three Stoney Calhoun books and have found them to be good solid mysteries with great settings(fishing lakes in Maine) and interesting characters. Admittedly I'm a sucker for detective whose woman is independent, strong and, in some areas, far more accomplished than he. I'm also all about faithful dogs who are all about food. Sadly this was Mr. Tapply's last mystery and if you read the introduction you'll realize what it took for him to write this one. So thank you sir. Stoney may f...more
Bill
The book added a new dimension to the Stoney Calhoun series as characters from his past are introduced. The story moves from Stoney's familiar Portland, Maine, fishing ground to lakes in northern Maine on the Canadian border. A plush fishing resort that caters to the ultra-wealthy becomes a killing ground that Stoney's former employers want him to solve. They resort to several unethical tricks to force Stoney to take the job.

I liked the plot and the way Stoney handles himself in a confused but...more
Kathie
This was the best one of the trilogy. Felt myself becoming tense when he was in that garage as I just knew something bad was going to happen.
Jane
This is the last of the Stoney Calhoun series. This series main character helps run a fishing store in Maine and guides fishing clients. He has lost his memory but he has unexplained talents such as expertise with weapons and language. Intriguing series with many unanswered questions.

Tapply also has a large series of Brady Coyne novels where the main character is a Boston lawyer (he also enjoys fishing), he is often drawn into solving murders, disappearances, etc. Very nicely written.

The author...more
Sandra
Quick read for a "stuck inside day" because of snow and ice. Interesting details about fishing and guides also. The brevity of the book may have been due to the fact that William Tapply was suffering from leukemia. He passed away in July of 2009 after the book was finished in April. This was the first of the Stoney Calhoun novels I had read and I will probably look for some of the earlier novels. The details about a lifestyle concerned with the outdoors and ecology remind me of C.J.Box and Nevad...more
Kristine
Just finished Dark Tiger and it is the third book in the Stoney Calhoun series. I haven't read the first book, but I did read the second and I really liked that one. Dark Tiger was similar in style and the characters are back, but I didn't like it as much as the previous one.
MBP
(3 1/2 stars) I love Stoney Calhoun, Ralph, Kate, and the bait shop, and it was great to read about them again, but this one felt a bit perfunctory. I wish the Loon lake setting and characters had been fleshed out a bit more. I was very sorry to hear of the passing of William G. Tapply. This was a high-quality series, and now we'll never learn the mysteries of Stoney's forgotten past.
Cheryl
Stoney Calhoun agrees to help the Man in the Suit solve a murder putting his personal and professional life on the line. Will he remember anything about who he is or where he came from in the process? Another great chapter in William Tapply's series. It is such a shame that we'll never find out the rest of Stoney Calhoun's life. The mystery world will miss William Tapply and so will I!
Kate
This is one of the last books that my father in law wrote before he died. And he is an unbelievable writer. His books are exciting and thrilling, sweet and true. These last few books of his are particularly masterful...he is known for elegant, few words that paint an entire picture. This book is the third and final in the Stoney Calhoun series - I recommend all three very highly!
Melissa Kayden
A typical Tapply book, a quick read, a good story. This one had me guessing most off and on the whole way through, but as is Tapply's usual, wrapped up a little too neatly and quickly in the last 8 or 10 pages. But I enjoy the Stoney Calhoun character and am looking forward to more books featuring him and seeing what will find out about his forgotten past.
Gayenell Burch
I first started reading this author a couple years ago, I couldn't find anything by him so I was delighted when the local libray had this book. It was a good read. Not really predictable. Kinda sappy but thats okay sometimes. The book moved at a pretty decent pace. The characters were very developed. Definately not a real page turner.
Brian
This is the third and (sadly) last entry in the Stoney Calhoun series.
I've just started it, but like the others, it takes right off and puts you in the action. Great characters, setting and story. RIP Bill...
Done! Wonderful as always. The fishing scenes were the best. Made me want to get in a canoe on quiet water.....
Derk
3 stars is generous, but 2 is probably unfair since it was only after I finished it that I realized how disappointed I was. It was an easy read, but the plot was so illogical it went beyond the usual suspension of belief. The more I think about it the more I dislike it.
Gary Mesick
Another well-written book by Tapply, with the usual mix of fishing and mystery. Since Tapply died before this one was actually published, I only wish that it had resolved more of Stoney's past. As it is, it will be left a mystery for the ages. Sigh.
Catherine Woodman
Super light murder mystery, reasonably well constructed with a likable hero who is a fly fisherman, turned reluctant detective. Not for someone looking for something the least bit complex but a good read in the light weight arena.
Liz
Continuation of Tapply's mystery series featuring Stoney Calhoun, my favorite series of his books. Enjoy setting and characters plus are good mysteries. Sorry that this will be the last with Tapply's death in 2009.
Karla
Jan 27, 2011 Karla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A good addition to the Stoney Calhoun mystery series. Unfortunately it is the last - the author died shortly after finishing this book. I really like the way Tapply describes the places and fishing.
Joe O'c
Outstanding; Continuing character: Stoney Calhoun; Calhoun is blackmailed into helping out his former, though forgotten, controllers by helping to foil a terrorist plot
Cheryl
Good book, moves quick. This is the 2nd from this author that I have read, but the first with these main characters. I am looking forward to reading more.
Steve
A Stoney Calhoun - woke up with no memories.
I rarely give 5 stars but I liked this book.
Barb
third book in enjoyable series of stoney calhoun. easy way to pass the time.
William G. Tapply (1940–2009) was an American author best known for writing legal thrillers. A lifelong New Englander, he graduated from Amherst and Harvard before going on to teach social studies at Lexington High School. He published his first novel, Death at Charity’s Point, in 1984. A story of death and betrayal among Boston Brahmins, it introduced crusading lawyer Brady Coyne, a fishing enthu...more
More about William G. Tapply...
Outwitting Trolls (Brady Coyne, #28) Bitch Creek Hell Bent (Brady Coyne, #27) Gray Ghost: A Stoney Calhoun Novel (Stoney Calhoun, #2) The Nomination