Start by marking “So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)” as Want to Read:
So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)

So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,369 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Liam Campbell has lost a great deal. Demoted from sergeant to trooper, exiled to the native town of Newenham, he lives and broods on a leaky gillnetter moored in Bristol Bay. Then a fishing boat fire takes the lives of a family of local fishers and their crew; his former lover finds a young archaeologist murdered near the Chinook Air Force Base; and his estranged father fl ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about So Sure Of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Sure Of Death

Like the Liam Campbell books, they're light mysteries, easy to read. Couldn't get into Kate Shugak though. Enjoyed this one, learning more about Liam's relationship with his father. Liam's trials with flying and the rest of being in Bush Alaska are funny - in this one he keeps getting his uniforms wet and they have to be mailed out to be dry-cleaned, leaving him without a uniform. Also funny, his reactions to Bill and his new trooper. Wonder when he'll figure out what's up with the raven?
Mike Finn
A fun read with two murder mysteries, character insights and rapid action

I liked Liam Campbell a little better in this book than in the first. I think there is hope for his redemption after all. It was refreshing to see that the pain Liam and Wy caused through their affair is not glossed over and continues to have an impact on not just their behaviour but their sense of who they are. Meeting Liam's father helped round him out and the addition of another trooper to the post gave a more realistic
#2 in the Liam Campbell series.

Alaska state trooper Liam Campbell, stationed in the southwest Alaska boondocks, has a lot on his plate: an eager new trooper, Diana Prince; a visit from his estranged father, an air force colonel on a suspicious mission; the reappearance of his great love, charter pilot Wyanet (Wy) Chouinard; and two very different cases rife with false clues. When an assistant at an important archeological site is murdered, evidence points to Frank Petla, a Yupik grave robber who
The adventures of Alaska state trooper Liam Campbell pick up again some three months after the events of Fire And Ice. Liam is finally getting settled into his new position when he gets two big cases: a family has been found dead on their fishing boat and an assistant has been murdered at a remote archeological dig. Liam's life is further complicated by the unannounced arrivals of an attractive new assistant trooper and Liam's father, who is on a special mission for the Air Force. As I have lear ...more
In this, the second installment in the Liam Campbell series, Alaska State Trooper Campbell is investigating the deaths of a family on their fishing boat and the death of an assistant to an archeologist. Liam is living on a sinking boat, his father comes for an unexpected visit, his relationship with Wy is not happening, and a new state trooper Dianna Prince is added to the character list. The humor with which Liam faces life and the good plot twists are always enjoyable.
The second helping of Liam Campbell, Alaska State Trooper who is assigned to an area of southwest Alaska. Two murder investigations fill Campbell’s plate. Fortunately this overburdened Trooper is given a colleague, Trooper Prince, a young woman pilot and Trooper rookie to help look into the death at the nearby archeological site and the ones that occur at sea. That other pilot, Wy, who has total possession of Campbell’s eye and interest, is prominent, too. The tension between Campbell and Wy is ...more
Perry Martin
This is the second book in the Liam Campbell series. We pick up right after the first book ends "Fire and Ice". This book is Narrated by Marguerite Gavin. The ability to voice each character, accents included, is done excellently.

It seems death and murder is an everyday occurrence in the Alaskan Bush. This time Trooper Campbell must solve the brutal murder of 8 people who were burned and left to the elements and the Ocean on a burned out boat left afloat on the water. Who would kill a family and
Set in the southwest Alaska boondocks, the story follows Alaskan State Trooper Liam Campbell as he investigate two seemingly unrelated cases; First, he is faced with a local family of seven, their shot and burned bodies found aboard their scuttled fishing boat. The second case brings the murder of the assistant at an important archeological site, and it is believed to have been committed by a Yupik grave robber on a four-wheeler. Though he quickly has suspects in jail for each of the crimes, Lia ...more
This novel is not truly a police procedural, even though the main character is an Alaska State Trooper. This novel is not truly a murder mystery, even though there are two murder scenes – the family and crew on a fishing vessel and the research assistant at an archeological dig site. This novel is not truly a romantic suspense, even though the relationship between Liam and Wy is on tenterhooks.

This novel is story about fathers and sons and the devastating effects that racism and conditional love
Mary Davis
Jul 30, 2012 Mary Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery/Suspense readers
Recommended to Mary by: Series
Shelves: books-read-2012
relationships - Liam and his father... Liam and Wy... Wy and Liam... Wy and her adopted son

Liam's father is disappointed in his son... disappointed that he does share his love of flying (in fact Liam is terrified of flying), and that he did not join the Air Force... and Liam is slightly embarrassed by his father's penchant to seduce any and all women... and Liam's father is in town, at the nearby air force base..

Liam and Wy have not spoken for 3 months since their arguement where past hurts are
Jan 28, 2015 Thomas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alaska mystery fans
Recommended to Thomas by: 74
I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. It is book 2 of the Liam Campbell Alaska state trooper series. I read it in 4 days, an easy, satisfying read. Liam has two separate murder incidents. One is a multiple murder of 7 people and the other a single person. He must fly to these murder scenes, because his territory in bush Alaska is huge. He is terrified of flying, but he must do it everyday, sometimes more than once.

A subplot is his on/off romantic relationship with Wyanet Chouinard, who owns the sma
Alaska State Trooper Campbell has quite a few problems...his job, his girlfriend, his father. All unfold during the book and all get solved except for the girl friend. It's a well put-together book that describes life in the Alaskan bush with a lot of whodunit police action. The listener can easily determine who's speaking--a goodly assembled production. The only unsolved mystery is the girl friend; I guess that the author needs to maintain some semblance of romantic thread for the next book, wh ...more
Excellent mystery. Ending was a total surprise as well as scary for both hero and heroine, each for different bad guy. Two different murders, two different bad guys. This book is a big improvement over the first Liam book I read.

Deborah Wall
Love these Alaskan mysteries

I first read one of Stabenow's books years ago and liked it but lost track of her. I just found the Liam Campbell series and appreciate the skills she has picked up over the years.
Much better than the first Liam Campbell. Though this has plenty of the straining codpiece aspects of the series. Really enjoying the Alaskan history, sociology and odd-ball aspects of the Stabenow series.
Kelli Buchanan
This is the second book in the Liam Campbell series.
We learn more about the characters in this book. More about the history of Wy and Liam.
There is a good mystery as well .
This was a fun quick read.
Deux meurtres, dont celui d'une famille entière retrouvée calcinée sur leur bateau de pêche, un nouveau trooper (nouvelle) pour assister Liam, son père de passage, sa relation avec Wy toujours calée au point silence et le corbeau omniprésent là où l'on trouve Liam...
Ce deuxième tome des aventures de l'Alaska State Trooper Liam Campbell est bien plus "fini" que le premier et c'est tant mieux! On y retrouve également les thèmes de la vie en Alaska: origines et cultures variées, tradition, archéolo
Stabenow, Alaska, what else do you need? The only thing missing is more wildlife, but the characters, especially Moses the shaman and martial arts teacher, are great.
Easy reading, likeable characters, mystery romance, culture. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Kate Shugak! The quintessential female heroine! Great mystery plots on the res in Alaska.
This is the second book in the Liam Campbell series, and I enjoyed it as much as the first. I also highly recommend Dana Stabenow's website and reader's guides to these books, because they added so much depth to the experience for me. I wouldn't have known that one of the main storylines was based on a true event if I hadn't been reading the guide. Dana also includes lots of links and pictures of the places and things she is writing about (aircraft, boats, etc). I appreciate how much research an ...more
another good story.
Bonnie Irwin
In this novel, Liam Campbell is now settled into his new life in Newenham, though he still does have a permanent residence and his relationship with Wy is still a work in progress. Two murderers, two brisk plots, and slices of Alaskan life that I have come to expect from Dana Stabenow, combine to make this a good read. Liam now knows all 64 steps of the Tai Chi form that Moses taught him, but he is by no means a master yet. Still the knowledge comes in handy for both him and Wy at unexpected mom ...more
Douglas Cook
First sentences, "“Now, there is the sound of someone not flying his own plane.” “Shut up and breathe.” Wyanet Chouinard sank obediently into a modified Horse Stance as the float plane roared overhead. She was a grown woman, the owner and proprietor of her own air taxi service and the mother of a soon-to-be-adopted son. She didn’t have to take orders from anyone, but she would from this one old man."

Stabenow, Dana (2010-12-10). So Sure of Death (Liam Campbell #2) (p. 1). Gere Donovan Press. Kind
The second book in the Liam Campbell series, like the others titled from the works of Robert Frost, deals with death in the forms of multiple murders and with a death that is, ironically, not "sure."

Some situations, such as the romance between Wy and Liam, the conflict between Liam and hnis father, and the magnificence and treasure that is the Alaskan wilderness continue from the first book.

So far, I like this series, and I will continue to read it for the time being.

This novel was a Kindle Pri
I have read a couple of the Kate Shugak stories & loved those so I thought I would try her Liam Campbell series & as soon as I finished the 1st I read the 2nd. H was just as good a read in this her 2nd novel for Liam Campbell. He is a stand up kinda guy even though he had made some bad choices in his life & knew he had been wrong. He is a strong main character & has alot of good qualities that the author brings out through out the book. I will follow this series also.
I enjoyed the second title very much especially since Liam and Wy are together. Loved Liam's anger issues where he exploded a few times. I am eager to begin book three and see where Dana takes this trooper, and his pilot into the next adventure. Always I feel so much smarter after reading one of Dana's titles as she delves into the state and its issues that I'm completely unaware about. Thanks for the history lessons and the education!
The second in her Liam Campbell series. I really liked it. Ready to read the third one. Good mystery....the descriptions about Alaska are good. I think you have to be an adventurer to live in some of these parts of Alaska. I'd never want to be a bush pilot, but Wy is a good one. The romance in this book is a bit predictable, but okay. I just love reading mysteries. I like the ruggedness of the hero, Liam.
Just love the characters Liam and Wy and the "old farts" Moses and Bill. Interesting storylines, well built characters- a fun read.

This is the third in the series I've read and I've dived right into the 4th. Was apprehensive as I read a book in the author's other series (Kate Shugak) and was very disappointed at the shallow characters and shallower storyline.

Back to the book!
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • Death to the Landlords (Felse, #11)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • The Master of Rain
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Death of a Scriptwriter (Hamish Macbeth, #14)
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • Fireflies
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...

Liam Campbell (5 books)
  • Fire And Ice (Liam Campbell, #1)
  • Nothing Gold Can Stay (Liam Campbell, #3)
  • Better To Rest (Liam Campbell #4)
  • Restless In The Grave (Kate Shugak, #19 / Liam Campbell, #5)