Wood Nymph Seeks Centaur: A Mythological Dating Guide

Wood Nymph Seeks Centaur: A Mythological Dating Guide

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  43 reviews
From bestselling author Francesca Lia Block, an imaginative new guide to dating based on the timeless wisdom of myth, folklore, and fairy tales.

Navigating the world of dating can be like wandering an enchanted forest, full of creatures with peculiar habits and baffling behavior. In Wood Nymph Seeks Centaur, Francesca Lia Block provides a guide to this often-treacherous te...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Bloomsbury USA (first published July 1st 2009)

Iris
This is an oddity. Ms. Block abides the subtitle to the letter: this isn't a guide to myths, it's a guide to the individuals and couples in your life, drawing commonalities to mythical creatures in hopes of illuminating attractions, difficulties and longings in various pairings. I found it slightly psychologically helpful, but mainly just delightful, to be diagnosed as a Giantess, and then to learn about the implications of my match to a Giant man; so too is it a pleasure to identify the mythica...more
Swankivy
I feel bad rating this two stars--I would have given it another half star if half stars were allowed--but I couldn't bring myself to give the three-star "I liked it" rating because I didn't honestly like it.

The most obvious thing about it that I didn't care for was the lack of relevance to actual people I know. The types seemed so odd to me--when you have twelve types for men and twelve types for women, and specify that some people's type won't match their gender, I expected to see a pretty good...more
Grace
Blech, per usual. I got this for potential entertainment value and because I've always had this silly thing for personality quizes. It didn't meet the latter desire, because it just had descriptions and let you decide what you are. For the former, not that entertaining. FLB once supposedly said, according to an offensive quotation some people on Goodreads have favorited, that "the most beautiful people are the ones who aren't just one gender [or race:]" or something, yet this book ridiculously d...more
Sophia
Judge me, go ahead. But I have had way too much fun with this book not to give it the full five stars. If you love personality quizzes, finding your 'type,' and mythical creatures, this book is for you. (Especially if you're on a Francesca Lia Block binge, as I seem to be.) The practical side of me wants to say don't take it seriously, but I've gotten some quality insights from this gem of a book, not to mention hours of fun and colorful discussion with friends!
--Sophia the Vamp (female vampire...more
Missie Kay The Book Fix
Extremely fun, if nothing else.

I think FLB had her kind of friends as a sample, so she used them as her types, when maybe there were other, more diverse, types she could have come up with. I can only think of two of my friends who are "true" types. All other people I know are mixtures (including myself; I'm two "contradictory" types).

I also think that it's weird how FLB ties some types to physical appearance (and not only those elements of appearance based on eating and exercise habits).

That...more
S.M. Carrière
Two stars according to Goodreads.com means 'It was O.K.'

And it was.

It was given to me last week as an extremely belated Christmas gift (thanks, A.G!), as it's not really the sort of book I would buy myself. If any of you follow my blog at all, you'll know I'm not really into the dating scene, and this book is all about the dating scene.

I also abhor people trying to categorise people at all. There are too many types of people, all with varied upbringings and life events shaping them to ever defin...more
Larissa
Oct 31, 2010 Larissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
The dating forest can seem at times a magical place filled with happiness and love, and at other times a place to be feared, where hearts are stolen or left broken. It is not always easy to find your way, especially when the scenery keeps changing. Just who are all these creatures roaming the forests of love and heartbreak? For that matter, what type of creature am I that I dare to enter such a perilous yet hopeful place?

In this forest the first thing you must do is not to discover what creature...more
Kati
This was a fun read, but was far from being a great dating guide. The personality "types" were not comprehensive, by any means, and were (in a couple situations) rather confusing. I'm married, so I wasn't looking at this for REAL dating advice, but was curious to see how my husband & I might fit in, based on the author's summary of personality types. My husband, I found to fit very well the "Wood-Faun" combo type. However, my personality was split mostly evenly between Urban Elf and (Gian)Te...more
Becca
So not at all what I expected...I guess that teaches me to read the book jacket. I am a complete "judge-a-book-by-its-cover" kind of person and when I saw this sitting all pretty and green with a catchy title on the shelf at the library (on display of course, or I would have noted its dewey decimal number...), I assumed for some reason that it would be an urban take on the dating and everyday lives of fantasy creatures. Kind of Seinfeld meets a Midsummer Night's Dream. But this is actually a dat...more
Abbey Marie
Eh, it was okay. It was an amusing read, but more like reading your horoscope than anything. F.L.B. spent more time on certain "types" than others, and I was disappointed to find that in the "Combinations" section she wasn't as extensive as she could have been. I'm a split between 'Tess and Brownie, according to this book.

Mildly interesting and amusing, I'll give it two stars.
Theresa
Francesca Lia Block brings her sense of magical realism to the dating world in her latest book. The first section, “Defining Your Type”, consists of short paragraphs describing a personality (there are 12, each with a male and female version). Once deciding which one best describes you (or your partner), the second section, “The Types”, provides more detailed information about each type. Are you an athletic and friendly Brownie? Or a thoughtful caretaker Tree Nymph? Should you date that charming...more
Allison
People are strange when you're a centaur
Faces look ugly when you're a hob
Women seem wicked when you're a weregirl
Streets are uneven when you're elves

You get the picture. This is the beauty of working in the public library. Francesca Lia Block comes out with a delightfully illustrated mythological dating guide in 2009, and you're none the wiser until one day you happen to stumble on it when you're shelving adult nonfiction.

Even though I'm not a dating creature (think lichen, but like, mythologica...more
Rachael Quinn
This was actually a pretty cute book but it's more like the kind of book you play around with than the kind you read. Like when you get an astrology book and you only read about your sign and your boyfriend's sign and whether or not you are compatible.

Block uses mythology to divide people into types. For instance, my boyfriend was nearly full on a merman. I fell somewhere between a banshee and an urban elf. We had a lot of fun reading about the types and figuring out what we were.

I don't know ho...more
Leeann
I don't feel too cool about having rushed out and bought this immediately, but what else can one do when one's favorite young adult author puts out a dating guide, of all things? (Especially when the library, devastatingly, won't let you reserve it yet?) This is just a fun little guide that matches the people in your life up with mythological types and then analyzes how well matches of the different types would do in dating situations. I appreciate her inclusion of hetero and same-sex pairings....more
Alisa
I'm an experienced strictly-for-entertainment-purposes reader of astrology and other dubious dating guides from my college years [Thanks, M!:].

Block's "Weetzie Bat" is one of the best, most original YA novels ever written. When I saw that she had written this 'mythological' dating guide, I thought I was in for hours of trashy fun.

Honestly, I didn't recognize a single person I know in any of her types- they seemed more like sitcom personas. Maybe Block's friends really are just like her mytholo...more
Kelsea Dawn Hume
Most entertaining relationship book ever, though a bit too gendered for my taste.
Brianna
Not an actual book, it really is like a dating/sign guide.

It's cute, though (if you know my issues with the author, a lot of it is weight stuff) I laughed when I got a Giantess. But damn if it's not true. Actually, I am mostly Giantess with a hint of Urban Elf, weirdly enough so was my fiance.
Anyway, I may wind up buying this for a friend I KNOW would love it. I enjoyed skimming it, but am glad I only checked it out from the library. Not a keeper, but a fun quick read.
Cindy
Feb 10, 2010 Cindy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Veronica, Deni
I enjoy Francesca Lia Block's writing - since Weetzie Bat.. and this one is enjoyable because she describes different personalities and from there defines each person as a mythological creature - from wood nymphs yo weregirls, from centaurs to vampires. And of course there is always the combination types.. :)

And this can apply to people in general - not just romantic relationships..
Vicki
This is ridiculously adorable. It's practically impossible not to be charmed by this book, especially if you're in any way interested in mythology. (That said, enjoy it. Don't actually go out and try to identify men according to their mythological type. Just enjoy it, and the inventiveness it took to create it.)
Lacey N.
I mean, it's a dating guide, so my expectations weren't high. What is cool though is that she includes a section on same-sex couples, both for male relationships and female relationships. A fun, lighthearted, easy to read book. Perfect before bed or over breakfast.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Francesca Lia Block obviously had fun mixing together her knowledge of the mythological world with the world of dating. According to her, she used some of her internet dating experiences as research. A fun twist on all the Type-matching books out there.
Sondra Wilson
a fun book-like an astrological guide to dating but instead of classifying yourself by star sign, you identify with one of the mythical creature types then learn how well you match with other mythical creature types, includes same sex relations
Tammy
This was an amusing little book. It uses mythological creatures as personality types and helps you find out which other mytholigical being you should be dating. With my current fantasy reading streak the title intrigued me.
Jessie Lynn McMains
I have to admit I didn't read the whole thing through. I just figured out what type(s) I am and read all about those, as well as tried to define the types of some of the people I've been with. It's a fun book.
Sam
hmmm - this one didn't deliver on the fun it promised ... confused me as I couldn't work out what type of creature I am ... guess I'll hafta keep being a sam ...

to quote stephen king - a bit of a bumhug
Erin
Dec 29, 2009 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: flb
I always ate up reading like this. It's like a book of Seventeen magazine "which boy is right for you?" quizzes but wrapped up in FLB language and characterizations. I'm clearly an urban elf.
Bridgett
Fun little book creating different personality types by mythological associations and discussing relationship compatibility. I like that the author included same-sex compatibilities.
Andrew
Quite amusing but similarly with the 12 signs of the zodiac, you just can't neatly pigeonhole people into 12 different personality types - maybe a 100 types, but not 12.
Deborah
So I'm an Urban Elf who will like Satyrs & Werewolves? Well, since Cary Grant was a Satyr, I suppose that's true...
Meghan
Francesca Lia Block's fun little guide to dating and personality type, sorted by mythological characters.
So, what did you find you were? 1 6 Jun 11, 2010 03:15AM
  • Forbidden Journeys: Fairy Tales and Fantasies by Victorian Women Writers
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Fairy Tale Lust: Erotic Fantasies for Women
  • Alison's Wonderland
  • Pride and Prejudice: Hidden Lusts
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • Sprung: Four Strangers, One Destiny
  • Riot Grrrl: Revolution Girl Style Now!
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
  • Tegami Bachi, Vol. 5
  • The Shores We Walk
  • I am Not Spock
  • Girlwood
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity
  • Sabella (Blood Stone, #2)
  • The Green Man
  • Andromeda Klein
Francesca Lia Block was born in Los Angeles to a poet and a painter, their creativity an obvious influence on her writing. Another influence was her childhood love of Greek mythology and fairy tales.
She has lived in the city all her life, and still resides there with her daughter, Jasmine Angelina (about whom she wrote her book Guarding the Moon), her son Samuel Alexander, and her two dogs: a spr...more
More about Francesca Lia Block...
Weetzie Bat (Weetzie Bat, #1) Dangerous Angels (Weetzie Bat, #1-5) I Was a Teenage Fairy The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold Echo

“One of the best things about sex with a Banshee, however, is that she will make her needs known freely.” 5 likes