Start by marking “Mad Sheep: The True Story Behind the USDA's War on a Family Farm” as Want to Read:
Mad Sheep: The True Story Behind the USDA's War on a Family Farm

Mad Sheep: The True Story Behind the USDA's War on a Family Farm

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Mad Sheep is the account of one familyis struggle against a bullying and corrupt government agency
Published September 5th 2007 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mad Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Sheep

Samantha
This was the most excellent book about farming and government that I've read this year.
It seems the older I get, the more I realize there are so many lies out there. Lies that we (As Americans) have been fed.
Truth is hard to be found.
But it was most certainly found in this book.
Being of the farming agricultural mindset, I really enjoyed this book!
However, I must warn you: this book will make your blood pressure rise. You will be shocked (unless you already know...) and horrified. You will want
Jaclynn
As this book warns, you may become "mad" after reading this family's story of their battle with the USDA, who claimed their sheep had mad cow disease, despite negative test results. Well written, you will feel sympathetic for this great family who did their research and followed all the rules and yet lost it all in the end to a corrupt government.
Phayvanh
I've only read segments of this book and not the entire narrative. Someday.

The authors came for a book reading at the bookstore some time ago, and I can homestly say that I have never felt such comapassion for a cause at such an event as this. They told of their struggle and random targeting by the USDA and their years-long court battle trying to get all the FOIA info that was due to them, only to have their case held up with the judge.

They are kind, sincere and earnest people who only wanted to
hellaD
Linda Faillace takes us on a journey from England, where she and her husband studied scrapie in sheep. When the family This story is an important example of how badly things can go when large regulatory institutions go rogue. I highly recommend reading it if you are involved in food security issues and are concerned with food safety. One thing I would especially like to point out is that the Faillace family did their best to work with the USDA until they realized that the science the USDA was us ...more
suz
May 10, 2007 suz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in government corruption & inordinate special interst group influence in the FDA
Reviewer: Suzanne Prescott (Albuquerque, NM USA) This is my review on Amazon

If I had told friends I was reading about alleged disease in sheep they would have missed the true significance of this book. It's about big government intervention against the rights of citizens. It's about a Vermont family's creativity and dedication and how all of that was trampled by the USDA run amok. It's also about what happens when special interests and lobbyists overwhelm a government agency.

It really was a pag
Gordon
Great book. I heard bits and pieces of this story when it was happening. I wish I had paid more attention then and done something to help these folks out. One of this book's main strengths is that it lays out how hard it is for small farmers -- even if they have knowledge and resources -- to fight a government agency, even when the government is absolutely in the wrong.

Mad Sheep is a well-written book and a necessary book for anyone claiming to have solidarity with small farms and farmers.

Sue
I met the author at the Waitsfield (VT) Farmers' Market. Great story. Looks like a great book.

True story. Very unsettling, and convinces me that the government is not always looking out for us.

Well written, and impressive the way the family deals with bureaucratic distress. May we all have such stamina and focus.
Tommy Estlund
I almost didn't read this one. I had checked it out from the library, but when it came time to read it, I just wasn't all that into it. I gave it the 10% rule, and, bam. Wow. Great book. Angers up the blood.

Read it if...hm, well...just read it, you.
Amy Eischens
Frank also read this book - he was sad and agreed that the government messed up but he skipped the chapters dealing with the family. He gave it 4 stars.
Toni
Really good! Read it in day. The pictures made me cry.
Christine
Apr 01, 2008 Christine marked it as to-read
Highly recommended in the small farm community.
Happyreader
The dark side of Vermont cheese.
Azure Davey
Azure Davey marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Ammn Tan
Ammn Tan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
NormaCenva
NormaCenva marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Fredric Dorothy
Fredric Dorothy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Susan Paulic
Susan Paulic is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mad Sheep:The True Story Behind the USDA's War on a Family Farm Mad Sheep: The True Story of the USDA's War on a Family Farm