The Long Division

The Long Division

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  20 reviews
An Atlanta housecleaner flees her nowhere life to reunite with the son she gave up for adoption. The teenage boy joins his longlost mother on an unlawful road trip that proves how much they both have to lose by finding each other. Elsewhere, a deputy must track down the shooter in a drug-related double murder before other investigators discover the deputy’s illicit ties to...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Long Division, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Division

Joe
I'm always happy to read a book where separate storylines and characters spiral towards a interwoven conclusion - part of the fun is suddenly realizing the unstated connections that were in plain si-

Anyone who starts this book will say, hey, what's with the unfinished sentences? It seems like a cheat. Don't know how to end a paragraph? Just stop wr-

Later on, though, one of the characters starts musing on Zeno's paradox. If the turtle crawls halfway across the table, then half of the rest of the...more
mark
There is something going on at universities regarding creative writing teachers ... and I now KNOW I don't like it. A novel is a story and as such, that should be the focus--the story; NOT the "creative writing." In The Long Division, by Creative Writing teacher, Derek Nikitas, is gimmickry at its best/worst, which is a distraction to the story. The story drew me to the book, one of a reunion between a young mother who gave up her baby, and that child, now a teenager. The author used word, sente...more
Ed
Stylish noir with literary flourishes, including a little distracting use of dashes to begin and end the sections. Muscular prose and original voice, the story also features flawed characters stiving to bring order to their messy, chaotic lives. Three narrative threads are nicely woven. I liked reading TLD.
Jane
The pseudo-acedemic, forced style of ending one segment in the middle of a sentence and beginning with another half sentence in a different setting falls flat on its face. Writing often stilted...one gets the feeling the author kept a thesaurus on hand just to insert a unique word...worse phrase with multiple forced words. Ugh.
Diane
Fascinating story. I knew the author would tie the three story lines together, but discovering how he did it was well worth the time investment. Interesting characters. I recommend this author.
Margaretb
this book was like being on an ice-slick road toward a ditch... couldn't put it down, but was petrified about what was about to happen. Great book.
Dawn
Connected stories...couldn't put this book down, but be forewarned...depressing.
Bob
"The Long Division" was a terrifically written novel, populated with terribly damaged, yet wholly realized and believable, characters on this terrifying collision course with their destinies. When I started reading, I thought I didn't want to know these people because there was no way this story was going to end well. Nikitas pulled me in, however, and, as all the pieces of his equation started coming clear, I had to stay until the very bitter end. I was also a little put off by the "jump cut" d...more
Jeanne
This depressing and disjointed novel focuses on three characters and how their stories converge:

• Jodie Larkin, the Atlanta cleaning lady on the run and in search of the son she gave up for adoption;

• Wynn Johnston, a bright college student who gets pulled into a dark situation with a friend and the friend’s sister; and

• Calvin Nowak, a teenager in crisis, who just wants to escape the life he’s now living.

All 3 characters are on the run for different reasons, and all of the situations quickly b...more
Jsavett1
Rarely read mystery/detective novels but this came highly recommended from the Washington Post. Pretty amazing writing and gripping story following four characters whose paths intersect in interesting ways--an already sort of cliche idea but pulled off well by some great characterization. The book's story is incredibly bleak but it was still a pleasure to read because it was written so insightfully.
Robert Intriago
I found the book disjointed. Maybe it has to do with my age but I found it difficult to follow and comprehend the dialogue, but maybe I am not hipp enough. The writting style gave me a little bit of problems. The author ends paragrphs in midsentence of conversation, thought or action. After the first chapter I was able to follow. The story was okay, but not good enough to overcome the drawbacks.
Irene
Very disappointing for me. Publishers Weekly gave it a starred review. I was drawn to the book because of the review, and also the locations (some veiled), were familiar to me. Nikitas writing technique is quite billiant, but I think I will go back and read his first book, PYRES. Then I will give THE LONG DIVISION a second chance. It may be a generational attitude on my part.
Carmen
The story begins describing three separate people. Each one has his or her own chapter. In the middle of the book the reader discovers how they come together, how they affect each other. It is quite a ride. Betrayal, incest, adoption, drugs, they all are featured in this book.
Marian
I learned about this book from a list I read somewhere - "Thrillers for people who don't read thrillers." Very apt - it was suspenseful and sometimes horrifying, but well written by an author who has a lot of insight into human nature.
Angelina
Heaps and heaps of misery in this book and not one person I care about. I don't know what we're supposed to learn about the human condition with this one. I threw in the towel 87 percent of the way through.
Liana
An average novel with curious characters. Violent and disturbing in parts, but kept me intrigued to the end, wondering about various character connections.
Barb
tragic, complex tale of several seemingly unrelated characters who come together in the end. worth reading, but do not hope for a happy ending.
Alicia
Perplexing. I can't say that I found the way these storylines intertwined to be surprising.
Viccy
Interesting format, a little hard to process. Nikitas tells a great story.
Jason
J.T.
J.T. marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Pyres Tomurai No Honō Scheiterhaufen The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology Killer Year: A Criminal Anthology