Start by marking “I and I: Bob Marley” as Want to Read:
I and I: Bob Marley

I and I: Bob Marley

This is a biography in verse about the Jamaican reggae musician Bob Marley, offering an overview of key events and themes in his life, including his biracial heritage, Rastafarian beliefs, and love of music.
Published May 1st 2009 by Lee & Low Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I and I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I and I

Betsy
Nov 08, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
I think about the best children’s picture book biographies out there and I notice a strange pattern. Some folks get what seems like a picture book bio a year. Einstein. Franklin. Mozart. Other folks remain strangely elusive. Where’s the quintessential picture book bio of Charlie Chaplin? Of Ernest Hemingway? Of the Mata Hari? Fact o’ the matter is, not everyone is cut out for a picture book bio. Sometimes a person’s life is just too difficult to synthesize into 32 pages, let alone something anyo ...more
James Govednik
Nov 11, 2009 James Govednik rated it it was amazing
For ages 11 and up, this biography of Bob Marley features great poetry and vivid, captivating illustrations. The poet takes us through Bob Marley's struggles and triumphs, and manages to include lots of life details without losing the poetic charm. We learn of Marley's conflicted childhood as a mixed-race boy, his troubles when he's reunited with his white father, and his quest to use his music to help his people find unity. The level of musical detail is high, from his first experiences through ...more
Anne
Apr 12, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Anne Zemba
Picture book

I and I Bob Marley is a book of poems about the life of Bob Marley. It starts out with his childhood in Jamaica. Each poem is about a certain time period or event in his life. Each poem has wonderful illustrations to give the poem more meaning and depth. At the end of the book are some pages with added information regarding each of the poems. This gives you more insight to the meanings of the poems.

The picture book I and I Bob Marley contains vivid illustrations that accom
Kim
Sep 22, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: verse-poetry
This biography presents the life of Bob Marley through verse. The poems are lyrical. They use repetition, colloquial speech, and key phrases from Marley’s songs. They ring with the sound of reggae. The imagery and metaphors echo Marley’s message for peace, love, and an end of oppression. Together the poems present his childhood, home, hardships, desires, friendships, values, and successes. The illustrations are colorful paintings that capture the Jamaican sun and skies. They could stand alone to ...more
Sarah Hurdelbrink
Jul 28, 2012 Sarah Hurdelbrink rated it really liked it
I and I is an untraditional biography cataloging the major events of reggae singer and activist Bob Marley's life. Told through poetry and incorporating cultural and religious elements of both Jamaica and the Rastafarian spiritual beliefs, Medina helps tell the story of who Bob Marley was in a style similar to the way he lived, through beautiful beats, rhythms, and hopeful words. The story demonstrates how Bob used his passion for music to share his philosophy of peace and universal hope and acc ...more
Jill
Apr 17, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
I and I is a collection of poems that are written by Tony Medina in the voice of Jamaican musician Bob Marley (how Medina would imagine him writing). The author writes that Marley was “a messenger – a poet-musician in the tradition of the West African griot.” (A griot is a traveling poet, storyteller, or musician who shares oral or tribal histories). He tries to celebrate Marley’s life in that same tradition. These biographical lyric-poems will give you a whole new appreciation a poet’s ability ...more
Nancy
Nov 01, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I believe that we don't have enough biographies on monumental Blacks and this one is an ABOUT TIME book. Bob Marley is more musically famous than Michael Jackson will ever be (sorry MJ lovers, but I am right). Bob has been physically off this earth for several decades yet his music has not ever left our hearts. For children, Marley's life should be told from childhood to adulthood. Tony Medina and Jesse Joshua Watson created a fantastic dedication to a true cultural icon!
Abby Johnson
Dec 26, 2009 Abby Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blogged
In striking verse and vibrant paintings, Tony Medina and Jesse Joshua Watson present the life of singer Bob Marley. Additional information about each poem is found in a 'notes' section at the back of the book (including mention of the not-so-kid-friendly bits of Bob Marley's life). An excellent introduction. Highly recommended.

Read my full review on my blog: http://abbylibrarian.blogspot.com/200...
This book tells the story of musician Bob Marley from his youth through the end of his life. It includes information about his Rastafarian religious beliefs. The poetry and illustrations are sure to captivate children and adults alike.
Anna
Poems from Bob Marley. the poems are autobiographical. there would be need for learning a little about Jamaica and words used in some of the poems. I would use this with upper elementary. 4-6 grades. Could be used in many subjects.
Debbie Hoskins
Sep 11, 2011 Debbie Hoskins rated it really liked it
I love Bob Marley's music! "Three Little Birds" is one of my top favorite songs. My step daughter played it at her wedding. This is another wonderful Lee and Low book!!
Paintings are very nice. Text tells Marley's story in poems. A keeper.
Kim
Nov 25, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
Bob for kids....wonderful, insightful poems about Bob's life....bright, bold, beautiful painting accompany them...this is a collection kids and adults alike will enjoy, a book I would love to own! Great campfire reading!
Donna Lyn
Jun 29, 2009 Donna Lyn rated it it was amazing
i am biased but the illustrations are AWESOME!!!!!! this is written in prose on the life of Bob Marley. I love that all the poems have a biographical reference in the back of the book, great if you are doing a report on Bob Marley or just want to learn more about his gifted life.
Ofilia
Jul 20, 2010 Ofilia rated it it was ok
I love the illustrations in this book, but I'm not sure the verse biography portion as entirely effective. There is a lot of biographical info at the end in very small print. I don't think most kids really know Marley now, so you'd really have to talk it up.
Lin Lin
Aug 26, 2011 Lin Lin added it
Shelves: diversity
The book is about the famous Jamaican musician and guitarist. I like his songs. "Three Little Birds" is my favorite and even my son can sing along.
Megen
Apr 04, 2013 Megen rated it really liked it
I like how the poems in this book are influenced by events that happened in his life. It makes for an interesting biography.
Enola
Feb 10, 2010 Enola rated it really liked it
More poetry than biography - of course, presenting Bob Marley to children is bound to be challenging but this approach worked well for me. I was captivated by the illustrations.
Kay
Jun 22, 2009 Kay added it
It was an interesting book - as it told in easy to read writing about Bob Marley's life growing up. It was an easy read and interesting.
Kari
Jan 12, 2010 Kari rated it liked it
Not a completely fair judgement, the poems were too old for my 3 and 5 year Marley lovers, but we very much enjoyed looking at the illustrations.
Sarah Ziskend
Good for:
Use in a biography study
Uses lots of poems
Could be used for teaching about different styles of writing
Jenna McRae
Apr 02, 2013 Jenna McRae rated it liked it
This book includes songs that tell stories. It could be used in a music lesson or teach students how to write their own song to tell their story.
Stephanie
Apr 06, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-non-fiction, 2011, music
Beautiful pictures for a beautiful spirit
Leslie
Oct 08, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it
Very interesting. Would be good for a biography lesson.
Anil
Apr 11, 2013 Anil added it
I an I
Kindal Kottman
Jun 27, 2013 Kindal Kottman rated it it was amazing
First and foremost just to let you know I am biased when it comes to this poetry book because it is all about Bob Marley and his song lyrics and I am obsessed with Bob Marley. The book is written with a lyrical poetry that comes straight from Marley’s song lyrics. The illustrations in the book are also absolutely amazing. Marley’s songs are upbeat, but in the same breath very powerful. In own of his most infamous songs No Women No Cry there is a message of how he struggled to make ends meet and ...more
Mike Romesburg
Sep 01, 2013 Mike Romesburg rated it it was amazing
Theme: "Biography"

"I and I" is one of my favorite picturebooks I have come across to this point in my life. Bob Marley witnessed many injustices in his everyday life and his goal was simple: he wanted to spread the message of love, peace and equality to all. This book probably applies most to middle childhood ages and above, since those kids are more likely to understand the complexity of Marley's music. Lastly, Jesse Watson did an excellent job with the illustrations which really show the livel
Sam Grace
This is a book of lyrics from Bob Marley songs accompanied by some beautiful acrylic paintings. I think if you love, or even just frequently listen to Marley with your children, then this is a good book. Failing to know the songs would probably make this book less appealing. The notes at the end on each of the songs included are especially awesome. Worth owning for any Marley loving family.
Monique
Mar 07, 2016 Monique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Bob Marley was an amazing musician and tremendously gifted person. These poems shine details on his childhood as well as some of the influences of his music. The illustrations are colorful and clearly identify with island life. The notes provided for the background of each poem will assist in hours of discussion for those family reading sessions. 5+++ stars
Dee
Jan 30, 2014 Dee rated it it was amazing
Awesome jb about an awesome human being.

Music is the road I take to the well of hope with its endless spring of birds whistling like children laughing and playing beneath my window...
Josephus Brautigan
Feb 27, 2016 Josephus Brautigan rated it it was amazing
A beautiful children's book teeming with vivid paintings that make a memorable read. Told in a poetic prose, I and I became one of my favorites before I finished reading it.
« previous 1 3 next »