Start by marking “Bride of the Beast (MacKenzie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bride of the Beast (MacKenzie, #2)

Bride of the Beast (MacKenzie #2)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  530 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Twice wed and twice widowed, Lady Caterine Keith has no need for a champion. She can fend off unwanted suitors on her own and guard her Scottish stronghold without the help of any man. But her sister, knowing better, sends a make-believe husband a knight with a battle-scarred face almost too frightening to behold. Sir Marmaduke Strongbow has a secret ambition. He wants not ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Bride of the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bride of the Beast

SheLove2Read
Apr 18, 2009 SheLove2Read rated it liked it
Good but not great.

I loved the character and the romance of the male lead - Marmaduke - even if he had a terrible name. He's a man with ambition but also with a heart and a soul, and he wants to be loved. He had that love once with another woman and it was lost in a tragedy. I liked that she didn't betray him but was killed. Too many times the hero in a story is suffering from bitterness and uncertainty from betrayal. Marmaduke only suffers from a broken heart. When he finally meets Caterine he
Zoe
This heroine sounds like a bxtch......
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Good book, although it dragged in parts, and I felt like it took Caterine a bit on the long side to come around, although I did understand her issues with what she has suffered in the past. I really liked Marmaduke, and his insecurities about his scarred face endeared him to me and made him more realistic. As a fan of medievals and Scottish romances, I will definitely read more by this author.

J. Ostrowski
Apr 27, 2009 J. Ostrowski rated it did not like it
Meh... Had potential. Could have been better.
Leah
Feb 16, 2013 Leah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I just finished rereading Marmaduke and Caterine's story. I fell in love with Marmaduke in Devil In A Kilt and he continues to be my favorite hero of Sue-Ellen's books. She never fails to transport me to a different time and place with her writing. I am there in every book, feeling the wind blow, smelling the peat burn, hearing the sounds and feeling the emotions of the characters as they find their hearts. In Bride Of The Beast, Sue-Ellen has taken two very scarred people (both physically and e ...more
Lover of Romance
Lady Caterine Keith has already been widowed twice and isn't eager or willing to go for a third time. Thre is a unwanted suitor who only desires to get a hold of her Scottish stronghold. One whom repels her so and se is stunned when a battle scarred Knight come sto her as a protector. Sir Marmaduke Strongbow is determined to show Caterine the path of her passion....and a everlasting love, where he goes about to claim hold of her heart and her love. Bride of the beast is the second book in the Ma ...more
Galena Sanz
El segundo libro de una saga que me llamó la atención por su sinopsis y que me gustó medianamente, más por el personaje masculino que por el femenino. El final me pareció demasiado sencillo y rápido, no me dejó satisfecha y el mundo histórico no está tan recreado como a mí me gusta. Una novela para entretenerse pero que no va más allá.
Katya
Mar 08, 2013 Katya rated it really liked it
Suzie
Mar 25, 2012 Suzie rated it it was amazing
Lady Caterine is a widow, and sore in need of a champion. Marmaduke Strongbow has known love, but lost her and his good looks to treachery.

Duncan MacKenzie sends Marmaduke to Lady Caterine to protect her from a rogue bent on stealing her castle, and wedding her against her will. Once Sir Marmaduke sets eyes on our heroine he is hopelessly lost and works to earn her trust, and her heart.

This book is the second in the MacKenzie series, and is not as good as the first- however it is a great read.
Nancy
Jun 17, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
To secure her land, Lady Caterine Keith must marry, and who better to choose than a knight sent by her sister? Sir Marmaduke Strongbow might be scarred from past battles, but his heart is sturdy and faithful. Can she convince him that he’s meant to be loved? Can he win her affection as well as her hand in marriage? As the two struggle to come to terms with their feelings for each, a dire threat looms by means of a neighboring landholder who covets the lady’s property. If you like classic histori ...more
Sherri Dub
May 05, 2011 Sherri Dub rated it really liked it
Caterine and Strongbow were meant for eachother from the first time they were inroduced to us.
I felt it, you'll know it and it is clear by the end of the book that it's going to be a "Happy Ending"~so that was a plus.
I really enjoyed the flirtatious courting that took place between the couple, before they combined their lives.
It wasn't a quick intro and an instant love fest, this was a slow romance, unfolding on the page through each set back that visited them along the plotline.
I really enjoyed
Chumchum_88
Aug 02, 2016 Chumchum_88 rated it really liked it
Great book, it took me a bit longer to finish cause I was a bit busy.
Anyway I lived marmaduke he's was just fantastically amazing, I kinda hated Catrine cause she kept dodging marmaduke and keeping her heart from him, and how her suffering kept her from him, but the whole time I was like see here lady u weren't the only one suffering he did suffer too. And one thing I noticed was that she never called him my his name.
Kate
Aug 05, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
A very cute novel! In reading some of the GR reviews, I can't believe someone would give this book bad marks based of Maramaduke's name! It's a great name and if you read the acknowledgements page, you'd understand why Welfonder chose it.

But anyway, I enjoyed this read. I loved the angsty internal dialog of Marmaduke, and really enjoyed having him as a primary or dare I say, main character.
Monica
Jul 27, 2011 Monica rated it it was amazing
I can't even explain how great it was to see Sir Marmaduke Strongbow have a book of his own. Although I love Duncan, I have to say one of my fav. characters so far n the series is Sir Marmaduke. I had so many emotions running rampant through this story. I would suggest to anyone that loves a great historical romance to read this series..oh and make sure to have a tissue handy on this one.;)
Carolina Urán
Jan 13, 2014 Carolina Urán rated it it was ok
El libro me desesperó a ratos, pero lo terminé,lo cuál le concede la segunda estrella.

La relación entre los protagonistas es como rara, me parece que le falto una transición mas suave entre ellos, él decidió desde antes de conocerla y de saber que clase de persona era, que se iba a casar con ella y que se iba a volver a enamorar.

como predije, la protagonista me pareció insoportable en el mejor de los casos,ella tiene un pasado difícil,que es como la excusa para su comportamiento, (y vaya pasado
Dawn-Desiree
Nov 04, 2013 Dawn-Desiree rated it really liked it
I loved the characters. I especially loved Marmaduke, although I was not found of his name. I saw him as I would envision a true Knight and all the romance that goes with that!
Kat Green
Jul 09, 2015 Kat Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Read!

I do love when an author allows each main character we have come to love have their own story. For such a soft hearted romantic, flawed as he was, to try to reach for happiness once again, pulls at our heart strings. I admit I needed my box of tissues for this one with such an unexpected turn of events. Some of the love scenes were very detailed, but I just skimmed on over that part. It didn't detract from any of my enjoyment of the book. Great author with wonderful writing style
Linda
Jun 05, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Oh my, I'm in love...
Marmaduke has to be the sexiest Highlander yet...
AND I loved the scattered updates on Duncan and Linnet thru-out the book...
A Must-Read...
Michele bookloverforever
ahh...give me a scottish highlander every time. love the lairds...love their feisty female counterparts even better. love happy endings.
Sherilyn Lipke
So I think I was needing a cheap quick love story read because I powered through this in a day. Didn't realize it was a series, but you don't need to know anything before hand. I felt like there was waaaaaaay too much sexual tension. I was really intrigued in the story but there were constant passages of Caterine dealing with her lust. Only reason I picked it up is because I figured it would be a beauty and the beast type story. It kind of was. Either way I was sucked in. If I hadn't powered thr ...more
Jenny U
Aug 11, 2011 Jenny U rated it really liked it
Very good! Sue-Ellen Welfonder is a great romance novel writer!
Jess
Jan 04, 2014 Jess rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars, but consider I may have a thing for disfigured heroes.
Mitzi
Book 2 in MacKenzie series. Good.
1CheekyLass
Sir Marmaduke Strongbow was one of my favorite characters in Devil in a Kilt. I was delighted when I saw that he also had his own story.

Lady Caterine Keith was in need of a man, no a champion. She needs protection from Sir Hugh who was not content with only taking her livestock but also wanted the castle and to marry her. Twice widowed and her innocence taken early in life she has no need for a man. Too stubborn for her own good, her dear friend Rhonda took it upon herself to send word to Linnet
Melinda
Mar 21, 2015 Melinda rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. I tried. I really did but I got to about 37% and just couldn't keep interested.
#1 Catherine is a dried up ol' bitch. She is so rude and nasty to her friend, Rhona, that I don't know why the girl even likes her. She's judgmental and rude.
#2 There's way too much self reflection and introspection going on. Just get to the point already
#3 There's no humor whatsoever.
#4 It's boring.
The 1st book was better.
Ivonne
Mar 06, 2012 Ivonne rated it really liked it
seguimos con la historia de los Mackenzie esta vez nos toca sobre el gran amigo Marmaduke ha pesar de tener una cicatriz en su cara es un hombre lleno de sentimientos y dispuesto a hacer lo que sea por encontrar un nuevo amor pero sobre todo para borrar todos esos demonios que lleva con el.
Catherine tambien ha sufrido mucho y ha decidido no entregar a nadie su corazon y menos a un ingles pero al llegar Marmaduke todo cambia aunque a ella le costo mas abrir su corazon y a veces me daban unas gana
InésBobadilla
Mar 09, 2014 InésBobadilla rated it liked it
Dura de roer la Caterine, me daban ganas de pegarle en algunos momentos, Sir Marmaduke, un romántico y hermoso protagonista, con mucha esperanza y sabiduría. <3
Karina Díaz
Aug 05, 2014 Karina Díaz rated it liked it
Es complicado cuando se trata de muchas inseguridades y traumas vividos en el pasado, siempre de alguna forma quedas atado a ellos. Ambos protagonistas son fuertes y están decididos a darle la cara al futuro cual sea el reto que se les presente, Excelente dinámica de pareja. :)
Stacy
May 31, 2014 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Great book. Love how authentic she writes. I feel like I'm in the middle of the 12th century living amongst Highlanders. Strongbow is one of my favorites - far from a Beast.
Alice M. Black
Jun 29, 2014 Alice M. Black rated it it was ok
me encanta MARMADUKE, pero la hermana de lynette, es realmente insensata, orgullosa y patosa, no me gusto. Mejor era el primer libro.
  • Must Love Kilts (Highlander, #5)
  • The Irresistible MacRae (The Highland Lords, #3)
  • Under the Highlander's Spell (Sinclare Brothers, #2)
  • The Bride Hunt (Conqueror, #1)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • In The Warrior's Bed (McJames, #2)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • The Stone Maiden (Celtic Nights, #1)
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • Beloved Highlander
  • Knight of Desire (All the King's Men #1)
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
196759
Sue-Ellen Welfonder is a card-carrying Scotophile whose burning wish to make frequent (free) trips to the land of her dreams led her to a twenty year career with the airlines. Bi-lingual, she flew international all those years, working her flights as foreign language speaker. Her flying career allowed her to see the world, but it was always to Scotland that she returned.

Now a full-time writer, sh
More about Sue-Ellen Welfonder...

MacKenzie (7 books)
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • Only for a Knight (MacKenzie, #3)
  • Until the Knight Comes (MacKenzie, #4)
  • Bride for a Knight (MacKenzie, #5)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7)