Start by marking “Bride of the Beast (MacKenzie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bride of the Beast (MacKenzie, #2)

Bride of the Beast (MacKenzie #2)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Twice wed and twice widowed, Lady Caterine Keith has no need for a champion. She can fend off unwanted suitors on her own and guard her Scottish stronghold without the help of any man. But her sister, knowing better, sends a make-believe husband a knight with a battle-scarred face almost too frightening to behold. Sir Marmaduke Strongbow has a secret ambition. He wants not ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Bride of the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bride of the Beast

SheLove2Read
Good but not great.

I loved the character and the romance of the male lead - Marmaduke - even if he had a terrible name. He's a man with ambition but also with a heart and a soul, and he wants to be loved. He had that love once with another woman and it was lost in a tragedy. I liked that she didn't betray him but was killed. Too many times the hero in a story is suffering from bitterness and uncertainty from betrayal. Marmaduke only suffers from a broken heart. When he finally meets Caterine he
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Good book, although it dragged in parts, and I felt like it took Caterine a bit on the long side to come around, although I did understand her issues with what she has suffered in the past. I really liked Marmaduke, and his insecurities about his scarred face endeared him to me and made him more realistic. As a fan of medievals and Scottish romances, I will definitely read more by this author.

J. Ostrowski
Meh... Had potential. Could have been better.
Leah
I just finished rereading Marmaduke and Caterine's story. I fell in love with Marmaduke in Devil In A Kilt and he continues to be my favorite hero of Sue-Ellen's books. She never fails to transport me to a different time and place with her writing. I am there in every book, feeling the wind blow, smelling the peat burn, hearing the sounds and feeling the emotions of the characters as they find their hearts. In Bride Of The Beast, Sue-Ellen has taken two very scarred people (both physically and e ...more
Lover of Romance
Lady Caterine Keith has already been widowed twice and isn't eager or willing to go for a third time. Thre is a unwanted suitor who only desires to get a hold of her Scottish stronghold. One whom repels her so and se is stunned when a battle scarred Knight come sto her as a protector. Sir Marmaduke Strongbow is determined to show Caterine the path of her passion....and a everlasting love, where he goes about to claim hold of her heart and her love. Bride of the beast is the second book in the Ma ...more
Galena Sanz
El segundo libro de una saga que me llamó la atención por su sinopsis y que me gustó medianamente, más por el personaje masculino que por el femenino. El final me pareció demasiado sencillo y rápido, no me dejó satisfecha y el mundo histórico no está tan recreado como a mí me gusta. Una novela para entretenerse pero que no va más allá.
Katya
Suzie
Lady Caterine is a widow, and sore in need of a champion. Marmaduke Strongbow has known love, but lost her and his good looks to treachery.

Duncan MacKenzie sends Marmaduke to Lady Caterine to protect her from a rogue bent on stealing her castle, and wedding her against her will. Once Sir Marmaduke sets eyes on our heroine he is hopelessly lost and works to earn her trust, and her heart.

This book is the second in the MacKenzie series, and is not as good as the first- however it is a great read.
Nancy
To secure her land, Lady Caterine Keith must marry, and who better to choose than a knight sent by her sister? Sir Marmaduke Strongbow might be scarred from past battles, but his heart is sturdy and faithful. Can she convince him that he’s meant to be loved? Can he win her affection as well as her hand in marriage? As the two struggle to come to terms with their feelings for each, a dire threat looms by means of a neighboring landholder who covets the lady’s property. If you like classic histori ...more
Sherri Dub
Caterine and Strongbow were meant for eachother from the first time they were inroduced to us.
I felt it, you'll know it and it is clear by the end of the book that it's going to be a "Happy Ending"~so that was a plus.
I really enjoyed the flirtatious courting that took place between the couple, before they combined their lives.
It wasn't a quick intro and an instant love fest, this was a slow romance, unfolding on the page through each set back that visited them along the plotline.
I really enjoyed
Chumchum_88
Great book, it took me a bit longer to finish cause I was a bit busy.
Anyway I lived marmaduke he's was just fantastically amazing, I kinda hated Catrine cause she kept dodging marmaduke and keeping her heart from him, and how her suffering kept her from him, but the whole time I was like see here lady u weren't the only one suffering he did suffer too. And one thing I noticed was that she never called him my his name.
Kate
A very cute novel! In reading some of the GR reviews, I can't believe someone would give this book bad marks based of Maramaduke's name! It's a great name and if you read the acknowledgements page, you'd understand why Welfonder chose it.

But anyway, I enjoyed this read. I loved the angsty internal dialog of Marmaduke, and really enjoyed having him as a primary or dare I say, main character.
Monica
I can't even explain how great it was to see Sir Marmaduke Strongbow have a book of his own. Although I love Duncan, I have to say one of my fav. characters so far n the series is Sir Marmaduke. I had so many emotions running rampant through this story. I would suggest to anyone that loves a great historical romance to read this series..oh and make sure to have a tissue handy on this one.;)
Carolina Urán
El libro me desesperó a ratos, pero lo terminé,lo cuál le concede la segunda estrella.

La relación entre los protagonistas es como rara, me parece que le falto una transición mas suave entre ellos, él decidió desde antes de conocerla y de saber que clase de persona era, que se iba a casar con ella y que se iba a volver a enamorar.

como predije, la protagonista me pareció insoportable en el mejor de los casos,ella tiene un pasado difícil,que es como la excusa para su comportamiento, (y vaya pasado
Dawn-Desiree
I loved the characters. I especially loved Marmaduke, although I was not found of his name. I saw him as I would envision a true Knight and all the romance that goes with that!
Linda
Oh my, I'm in love...
Marmaduke has to be the sexiest Highlander yet...
AND I loved the scattered updates on Duncan and Linnet thru-out the book...
A Must-Read...
Michele bookloverforever
ahh...give me a scottish highlander every time. love the lairds...love their feisty female counterparts even better. love happy endings.
Sherilyn Lipke
So I think I was needing a cheap quick love story read because I powered through this in a day. Didn't realize it was a series, but you don't need to know anything before hand. I felt like there was waaaaaaay too much sexual tension. I was really intrigued in the story but there were constant passages of Caterine dealing with her lust. Only reason I picked it up is because I figured it would be a beauty and the beast type story. It kind of was. Either way I was sucked in. If I hadn't powered thr ...more
Jenny U
Very good! Sue-Ellen Welfonder is a great romance novel writer!
Jess
4.5 Stars, but consider I may have a thing for disfigured heroes.
Ivonne
seguimos con la historia de los Mackenzie esta vez nos toca sobre el gran amigo Marmaduke ha pesar de tener una cicatriz en su cara es un hombre lleno de sentimientos y dispuesto a hacer lo que sea por encontrar un nuevo amor pero sobre todo para borrar todos esos demonios que lleva con el.
Catherine tambien ha sufrido mucho y ha decidido no entregar a nadie su corazon y menos a un ingles pero al llegar Marmaduke todo cambia aunque a ella le costo mas abrir su corazon y a veces me daban unas gana
InésBobadilla
Dura de roer la Caterine, me daban ganas de pegarle en algunos momentos, Sir Marmaduke, un romántico y hermoso protagonista, con mucha esperanza y sabiduría. <3
Karina Díaz
Es complicado cuando se trata de muchas inseguridades y traumas vividos en el pasado, siempre de alguna forma quedas atado a ellos. Ambos protagonistas son fuertes y están decididos a darle la cara al futuro cual sea el reto que se les presente, Excelente dinámica de pareja. :)
Stacy
Great book. Love how authentic she writes. I feel like I'm in the middle of the 12th century living amongst Highlanders. Strongbow is one of my favorites - far from a Beast.
Alice M. Black
me encanta MARMADUKE, pero la hermana de lynette, es realmente insensata, orgullosa y patosa, no me gusto. Mejor era el primer libro.
Laurin
I read it. It was bad. That's really all I've got to say about that.
Tracyk
Found it hard to get into & Marmaduke what sort of name is that for a Hero!!
Sory
Apr 03, 2014 Sory marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Juraría que lo había leído ya
Karen
I am looking forward to this book as I really loved Sir Marmaduke in "Devil in a Kilt".

That was my comment 2 days ago, and am now feeling quite disappointed after reading book 2 in this series. It really lacked a bit of everything I look for in a Scottish Highlands romance. The story just didn't flow for me and I just didn't feel any connection or affection for the characters. It was a bit messy really.

I have the third book in the series and will have a go, but if its no better I don't think I'l
  • Under the Highlander's Spell (Sinclare Brothers, #2)
  • Must Love Kilts (Highlander, #5)
  • In The Warrior's Bed (McJames, #2)
  • The Bride Hunt (Conqueror, #1)
  • My Beloved
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #3)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Beloved Highlander
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
196759
Sue-Ellen Welfonder is a card-carrying Scotophile whose burning wish to make frequent (free) trips to the land of her dreams led her to a twenty year career with the airlines. Bi-lingual, she flew international all those years, working her flights as foreign language speaker. Her flying career allowed her to see the world, but it was always to Scotland that she returned.

Now a full-time writer, sh
More about Sue-Ellen Welfonder...
Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1) Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6) Sins of a Highland Devil (Highland Warriors, #1) A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7) Only for a Knight (MacKenzie, #3)