Start by marking “The Bloom County Library, Vol. 1: 1980-1982” as Want to Read:
The Bloom County Library, Vol. 1: 1980-1982

The Bloom County Library, Vol. 1: 1980-1982 (Bloom County: The Complete Library #1)

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  2,057 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Berkley Breathed's Bloom County was one of the most popular and critically acclaimed newspaper strips of all time. Bloom County ran from December 8th, 1980 to August 6th, 1989 and was published in an astounding 1200 newspapers on a daily basis. The huge popularity of Bloom County spawned a merchandizing bonanza, as well as two spin-off strips, Outland and Opus. The Bloom C ...more
Published October 6th 2009 by Idea & Design Works, LLC (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Bloom County Library, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bloom County Library, Vol. 1

Michael
Mar 26, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Berkley Breathed's Bloom County first caught my eye in the 80's when he'd do the occasional strip with Cutter John, Opus and several other characters acting out their own versions of scenes from Star Trek. It also caught on around my house the day he published a Sunday strip that included the phrase, "Gag me with a Smurf." It was a staple of my family's conversation for years to come.

It was only as I grew up that I realized there was more to the strip than Trek parodies and cool pop culture refe
Amy
Jul 04, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
I miss Bloom County.
Caroline
Oct 08, 2009 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A beautifully produced, thorough collection of the first two years of 'Bloom County' comic strips. Probably not the best vehicle for encountering BC for the first time, but fascinating for context and background -- if you're like me and remember reading the paperback collections, or even just the Sunday strips that ran in the 1980s (my local paper never carried the dailies, so I only know those from reading collections).

The start's definitely rough as Breathed himself admits in the notes, and so
David Edmonds
Jan 02, 2010 David Edmonds rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
I faithfully read Berkeley Breathed's strip Bloom County, and the follow-up strips Outland and Opus, every day while it was running. I loved these characters and still do to this day. Breathed's commentary on the events of the day was always a little on the snarky side, but it was always done intelligently. It is clear in these early strips that Breathed is trying to find his voice. There are some characters that you can tell just don't mesh as well with the evolving feel of the strip, and event ...more
Benjamin
Nov 08, 2009 Benjamin added it
Shelves: comics
The question was twofold: if one already had the original Little, Brown paperback collections, what would one gain from the Complete Library, and furthermore, do the jokes hold up after all this time? By Breathed's own admission in the footnotes and introduction, the strip doesn't really find its footing until about halfway through the volume. The really wild and zany stuff is yet to come. And yet, the language, the joy of words, and the charm is there from the beginning. And it's a quieter feat ...more
Kogiopsis
Sep 25, 2011 Kogiopsis rated it really liked it
I have never been fortunate enough to live in a place where Bloom County is part of the newspaper comics. Thankfully, I had parents who owned one of the old anthologies - Bloom County Babylon - and so when in my youthful search for something to read I had gone through all the Dilbert, Fox Trot, and For Better or For Worse anthologies, I turned to that strange and forboding-looking black book.

At the time, I think I was not yet immature enough to fully appreciate the hilarity of this comic strip.
Brad
Oct 24, 2016 Brad rated it liked it
It is a slow climb watching this comic shape itself. The only classic recurring character to appear for the first 58 pages is Milo Bloom, but the comic doesn't really start taking the shape it's famous for until p. 124 (Milo goading a senator, the very same comic that opens the first published Bloom County collection, Loose Tails). After that are several classic strips and the introduction of a few of its recurring gags. (view spoiler) ...more
Peacegal
May 09, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
After reading this weighty volume in two days I’m now convinced that Bloom County and other serialized comics are best taken in small doses.

Bloom County, with its frequent political jokes, was always of-the-moment, which could be a problem for those reading the book 30+ years later. (Lots of Cold War worries about the Bomb.)Thankfully, editor’s notes explain some of the references to politicians and TV stars who have since been lost in the sands of time. However, I find it quite sad that indivi
Neil
Dec 06, 2009 Neil rated it really liked it
Only the very best of topical material remains interesting 25 years later, so I really wasn't sure what to expect when I returned to Bloom County. I don't think I'd ever seen most of these early strips either. I'm happy to report that Milo, Binkley, Opus, Cutter John, and the rest remain entertaining after all this time. I'd forgotten his extended riffs on Charles and Di, which are funny too.

It's hard for me to imagine this strip from the perspective of the reader who actually needs the annotat
Rebecca
Dec 26, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, amusing
Politically, my opinions diverge from Breathed's but I enjoy his comic strip anyway. I liked this particular volume because of the occasional commentaries by Breathed himself. It takes a while for the strip to take shape but by the end of this volume it is the Bloom County we are familiar with. I personally laugh at the outlandish characters and behavior of everyone in the strip. Breathed pokes fun at everything around him. The way animals and people carry on and talk to each other in Bloom Coun ...more
Seth Madej
Nov 24, 2011 Seth Madej rated it really liked it
It's a joy to see these strips again, and even more so to see the ones that have never been previously collected. This volume isn't the golden age of Bloom County. Breathed's still finding his footing through most of it. But the illustration is as skilled as always, and there are plenty of gems and the first appearances of most of the major characters. Not to mention the startling realization of how closely the political and social landscape of 1981 matches that of 2011.

The reprints are high qua
Ubalstecha
Dec 31, 2011 Ubalstecha rated it it was amazing
The great comic strip of the 80s has finally been collected into one place. This first volume follows the introduction of Milo, Bobbi, Cutter John, Steve, Binkley, Opus and even Bill. Included are some of my favourite strips, such as the New Year's Eve party, "Cook a Meal!" and the early Star Trek parodies. As an added bonus, it also includes some strips that have never been printed in collections before. Berkeley Breathed's commentary accompanies the book, showing fans where various characters ...more
Chris
Mar 30, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Great book but I would like to strangle the dude at IDW that designs the packaging. One day in my briefcase and all of the silver ink fell off of the spine. Reminds me of their Parker the hunter San Diego comic-con exclusive dust jacket, that had nothing written on the spine. Darwin Cook was nice enough to write the books tittle on it for me with a silver marker. Oh, and it is a crap magnet. I swear, by the time I got the book home there were loli-pops, tumble weeds, a transient and a litter of ...more
Tom Franklin
Jul 04, 2010 Tom Franklin rated it it was amazing
Reliving the start of Bloom County...what a gift! The book starts off with a smattering of Berkeley Breathed's college comic strip (to show where some of his Bloom County characters and ideas started) and then it's right in with the entire run of the strip from 1980 until close to the end of 1982.

The only annoying thing about this book is the sidebar explanations of key people (mostly politicians) mentioned in a specific strip. I know this was done for people who weren't around in the 1980s, but
Caleb
Dec 23, 2009 Caleb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-strip
I was too young to catch the heyday of Bloom County (it ended in 1989 when I was 5 and I grew up thinking the name of the strip was Outland ), but now I know what I missed. This could not run in papers nowadays (I'm surprised Opus lasted as long as it did before Breathed gave it up for the third time) and this is a good thing; probably part of the reason that it wouldn't run in papers today is the fact that it's still relevant, if not more so.

The early strips also make the early, sketchier Doone
Ben Brackett
Sep 06, 2011 Ben Brackett rated it liked it
Given the current political state, perhaps a very appropriate time for my first reading of Bloom County at an age I'm old enough to understand it.

I was a little irritated with the editors notes on things like who Ronald Reagan was. It was a very timely and topical comic, so if a person reading didn't have the context and had to read the patronizing notes to what the comic referenced, they probably wouldn't like it in the first place.

Around 3/4 of the way through, it felt like Berkeley started t
Michael
Feb 04, 2010 Michael rated it it was amazing
Beautifully presented, the strips in this first volume brought back plenty of memories from my formative years, and I'm eagerly awaiting publication of Volume 2. Hopefully, it will include more of Breathed's insightful commentary and fewer explanations of basic pop-culture references. In fact, my greatest disappointment with Volume 1 is the lack of Breathed's annotations -- such as the one reminding readers that comic strips rarely portrayed animals speaking to humans, a common occurrence in "Bl ...more
Ben
Dec 28, 2009 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
This collection includes many strips that I hadn't read before, as they weren't included in previous collections. It's interesting to see the evolution of Breathed's style and focus.

There are sparse side notes, which includes comments by Breathed and information about various pop culture and political figures who appear in the strips. Some of them actually explain a few references that I didn't get the first time around. Of course, some of the strips I didn't get the first time around, but that
Khairul H.
Apr 25, 2010 Khairul H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
One of the funniest newspaper comic strips of the 1980s. This first collection is the roughest, though. Opus and most of the gang do not yet look like they do later on (Opus actually looks like a penguin), the jokes are very dated (Reagan bashing, nuclear disarmament, Michael Jackson(!)) so if you're new to Bloom County this might not be the best collection to start with.

But for those of us who read the strips in the morning paper or collected the paperbacks and read them until they fell apart,
Adam
Nov 01, 2009 Adam rated it it was amazing
Wow, absolutely gangbusters stuff. The topical references are dated, obviously, but this is vital, lively madcap stuff. And it's really funny, too!

See the strip (and Breathed's artistic abilities) evolve over time... the original focus was Milo, his grandfather, and an assortment of boarders at a boardinghouse. Watch as Opus, Steve Dallas, Binkley, Bill the Cat (barely), Cutter John, and Bobbi Harlow are introduced. I guess I'll have to keep reading the series to figure out why she faded away.
Carl Nelson
Jan 16, 2011 Carl Nelson rated it really liked it
This first volume of the complete Bloom County shows that Breathed followed a few red herrings on his way to the strip's heart and soul: Opus the Penguin. Most of the jokes hold up extremely well, largely due to the exuberance of the cast. Even the frequent tweaks against Reagan come across as gentle, as Breathed always finds a laugh across political differences. A great trip down memory lane, and the asides in the margins from Breathed are nice touches.
Ame
May 07, 2016 Ame rated it really liked it
I used to read Bloom County comics way, way back when I was little. I didn't *get* the references, but the thought of a Republican penguin, sentimental Milo, overly macho Steve, and Star Trek voyages on Cutter John's wheelchair brought me plenty of delight nonetheless. It's nice to start reading the comics from the beginning as an aging millennial. I *get* most of the references and these characters still bring me delight.
Nov 02, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
A must for any fan of Bloom County. I was struck by how relevant the comics still are today, which brought about a mixture of amusement and sadness - in twenty years, we have solved so little. My one complaint is that there are little blurb of commentary along the side that are often very distracting and often unnecessary, explaining who major political and historical figures of the time were.
David
Nov 17, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun
Loved it! It was a birthday gift. I have always loved Milo and Cutter John and Opus and even Bill the Cat. Great fun. Laughed out loud.

Went back and re-read it in late November 2010 because I got Volume 2 for my birthday on the 13th and wanted to re-read Volume 1 first. How dumb is that? Meanwhile I have this big stack of unread non-fiction waiting on the shelf and more still on the Amazon wish list. I guess that is as clear a statement of my priorities as I have seen lately.
Mitchell
Jan 19, 2015 Mitchell rated it liked it
Nostalgic. And a nice change from reading Calvin and Hobbes in that it is aimed a little bit older. But really this volume was before I started reading Bloom County. The annotations are interesting but uneven. The ones in which they are actually about the comic are better than the ones explaining who some famous figure was. Uneven writing and art, but definite moments of brilliant silliness. The whole Charles and Diana story-line got old. And on to the next volume. 3.5 of 5.
Laura Lemay
Jan 08, 2011 Laura Lemay rated it really liked it
I grew up with Bloom County and hadn't realized quite how long it had run. This is the first of a number of deluxe collections of the entire series. They're very big and heavy books that are tough to take into bed but are still fun to read front-to-back. This first collection, like the original series, takes a while to get going but is a ton of fun. Unlike other reviewers I don't find the editorial side notes explaining topical events or people that distracting.

Caroline
May 26, 2012 Caroline rated it it was amazing
I loved Bloom County SO much as a kid, and it still totally holds up. The powers that be (actually, the Library of American Comics) finally realized how ridiculous it is that Bloom County books were long out of print, and published these anthologies. I loved reading Breathed's margin notes, as well as being able to see the evolution of the strip. (Opus didn't even appear for the first year!) Very much looking forward to reading the next four volumes.
Frank
Jan 23, 2010 Frank rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-strip, humor
Breathed is one of the Big 5 comic strip creators of my time along with Charles Schulz, Garry Trudeau, Gary Larson, and Bill Watterson. (I'd include Matt Groening as well but his strip isn't in mainstream pubs). As with most artists, this collection of his earliest work is more a work-in-progress. A bit raw and dated in places. Hard to judge accurately out of the context of his era, an era when the cutting edge was being defined in this format.
Matt
Jan 04, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it
I was born halfway through the original print run of the strips collected in this book, so the cultural context footnotes and headline pages were an immense help. The fact that I just wrote that sentence about a collection of a comic strip sums up why I love Bloom County. It's dated, yes, but satire often is and it's damn good satire.
Mark Bult
Sep 26, 2016 Mark Bult rated it really liked it
These first six or seven years of Bloom County were just awesome, containing classics from my childhood that I’ll never forget. Looking back through each and ever daily strip, though, also reminded me of some I’d completely forgotten about, plus the first book let me see the early strips I missed, before my local papers had syndicated the comic.
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • The Complete Far Side, 1980–1994
  • The World of Chas Addams
  • Liberty Meadows, Volume 2: Creature Comforts
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922
  • Cul de Sac: This Exit
  • Book Club (Unshelved, #4)
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 1: Race to Death Valley
  • The Complete Terry and the Pirates, Vol. 1: 1934-1936
  • The Saturday Evening Pearls: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
Guy Berkeley "Berke" Breathed is an American cartoonist, children's book author/illustrator, director, and screenwriter, best known for Bloom County, a 1980s cartoon-comic strip which dealt with socio-political issues as seen through the eyes of highly exaggerated characters (e.g. Bill the Cat and Opus the Penguin) and humorous analogies.

More about Berkeley Breathed...

Bloom County: The Complete Library (5 books)
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 2: 1982-1984