Start by marking “David's Dilemma” as Want to Read:
David's Dilemma

David's Dilemma

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When David's father moves in, David loses more than his study. He loses his life. His father has Alzheimer's and each day is a struggle for both of them. His father's blunt, bigoted attitudes about David's lifestyle, friends and neighbors pushes David out of his circle of support and into a world of loneliness, repeated conversations, and the fear that his father will wand ...more
Published May 3rd 2009 by Amber Quill Press

To ask other readers questions about David's Dilemma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David's Dilemma

Jenre
I was attracted to this book for two reasons. Firstly, I was interested to see how such a serious theme as Alzheimer’s could be incorporated successfully and in a believable way to a romance and, secondly, it looked like this book was going to be a slow burner with lots of sexual tension to it. I seem to have read a lot of books lately where the heroes have jumped very quickly into bed with each other and I was due for something a bit different to that.

The book begins when David returns home to
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*

Both MC's had issues and were likable , I really felt for David, dealing with his dad and his guilt and anger and helplessness, and I thought Travis was a good match.
The "love" seemed to be rushed, but then again the MC's were both in their 40's and ready and hopeful for a steady dependable more mature relationship.
I think I would have liked it better if the reason for David's decision hadn't been so extreme, but it was a touching story.
JenMcJ
Lynn Lorenz is one of my fav writers. She can write very hot sex scenes that are varied and interesting. She writes characters I can connect with and root for. Her plotting is steady and rarely contrived or gimmicky. All of that is true of her latest book, David's Dilemma.

That said, the blurb really led me to expect a very emotional read. I think that the connection between David and Travis was rushed. One minute they are strangers, the next time they talk to each other they are calling each oth
Brenda (b)
I thought this story was wonderful. I loved the characters. Both David and Travis really needed best friends in their lives. I thought it was great they started out getting to know each other with phone calls. The build up to the pivotal crisis developed slowly and I kept hoping someone would notice and head it off before it went too far.
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
For me, the romance in this story was trumped by David's relationship with his father. Oh, the romance is there but the relationship between father and son is what I found thought provoking.

Lynn Lorenz could have easily made this about a son who has a great relationship with his dad. A son who now has to watch his father succumb to Alzheimer's. That still would have been a compelling story. Instead, Lorenz gave David and his father a very rocky relationship. When David was in his twenties he cam
Ami

So, what I do like is the character with Alzheimer in a romance story. It's pretty much nailed it. I feel for David, when he must face his father regression. I like authors who use plots in real life that are not commonly used in romance. I also like the part about Travis's life as a cop. What he feels when he must deals with dead body and the part of telling the family.

Having said that, I'm not very much into their relationship. I feel their conversation a little bit too lovey dovey; t
A.B. Gayle
This is an incredibly brave book. Taking on the touchy topic of a man living with a father who has Alzheimer's. Having had some experience of the same, although not on a daily basis, I found that aspect of the book really accurate. Most telling was the guilt about commiting the father to an institution. The bad days and the not so bad days that make reaching that decision that much harder.
I really enjoyed a story about two real men who acted and thought their age. Yeah, maybe they fell in love t
Tami (synchro from BL)
DNF at 19%, therefore no rating.
It was insta-love of the sappy kind ("honey" and "baby" after the first meeeting - no, thanks). Also it was angsty in a bad way.
But the main reason I aborted: It was boring.
Librarian Kate
Overall, I liked this. I see that some reviewers felt the relationship was rushed; I was ok with it because it felt like both David and Travis were pretty desperate for some kind of connection, and they were willing to go with what was basically wishful thinking about how their relationship would go. The parts where we get David's dad's perspective were creative and helped establish the basis for the frustration they both felt in dealing with what amounted to alternate realities.

But I'm just not
Kris
Mini Tasting:

Why I bought it: It was a pressie.

Mini-chomp:

Dislike~ I’m not sure what others thought, but from early on I could pretty much see what was coming in terms of the climax. I’m honest enough to admit it did affect my enjoyment of the book; however, overall it was relatively minor.

Like~ One of my things at the moment is a great interest – respect even - for m/m romance books which are different to the norm. In this case, it was refreshing to read a book featuring two older protags meeti
Kassa
Lynn Lorenz is an auto-buy author for a lot of people, but she’d never caught my attention enough to actually buy and read most of her books. I’d read one book a while ago and disliked it in a casual, not worth writing a review way and forgot about it. After reading David’s Dilemma, I have come to the conclusion this author is a personal preference. Some will like her and some will be indifferent but the best thing about this particular book is that the story is very well written with realistic ...more
Table4Five
I really enjoyed reading this book. The characters were extremely likable. David is that guy that your heart breaks for. He is trying to do his best to take care of the man that made him who he is, his father. He gives up everything to make his father happy. Unitl Travis comes along! Travis is in search of his life partner; someone to be there for him when he gets done with a horrible day at work. The connection between them is wonderful. Neither one is bothered by the sacrifices that have to be ...more
Tam
Aug 12, 2009 Tam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I really like Lynn’s work and this was no exception. I felt for David having to deal with his father’s Alzheimers and the guilt that goes with that. I liked how the men became friends first although (this seems to be becoming a theme with me and maybe I’m getting old?) it seemed to move pretty fast. I mean they were calling each other baby and honey after the first phone call. Okay, I guess when it click it clicks. LOL I could see the big climax coming or a variation of it but that was okay. Ove ...more
Crys Harris
The storyline dealing with the MC and his father, who is suffering from Alzheimers, is very strong. The author handles this tricky topic in a convincing way.

The romance part is much weaker. It is all too perfect and unrealistic. The simplistic handling of the romance detracted from the storyline to me. Also, the first encounter of the main characters is ridiculous. Who comes onto a worried family member looking for their ill, lost loved one?

Some grammar mistakes.

Still, I read it all in a short
Margie Church
I think the author did a really good job with the angst of the Alzheimer's story aspect and the struggles David Jr. endured to be accepted as being gay by his father. The story was fast-paced and believable. I figured out the plot early on and I wished the author had made made someone less predictable the victim. I also struggled with the way these two men used endearments toward each other right out of the gate.
However, none of that detracted enough to say I wouldn't recommend this book. I enj
Giovanna
This book what can I say about this book, it was touching and close to reality, I loved this book not only was it touching it was also very sad and serious. We see what it is like to give up your life and take of an elderly parent. It also shows what happens when you find true love, and how people are willing to stand by you no matter what. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read books about reality.
Vfields used to be Happy!
I loved the concept, both MCs and the fact that they were middle age and hotties. I just wish Lorenze had taken more time with every part of this book. The challenges with the father, guilt and stress could have made this a well-rounded tale. I did very much like that they got to know each other before they became lovers.
Beck
★☆ rounded up to ★★

I'm not sure if it's just me, but this book ... it ... um ... well ... it kinda left me feeling like this...

... with a dash of this ...

Meggie
I really loved this story. The plot was pulling and emotional. Both main characters David and Travis were well developed and real. Their feelings were original and deep. I don't recall reading this story jet, and I'm glad I did.
Carolyn88
Great read. The two characters are battling lifes problems. They come to depend on each other. Great romance story.
Deryncarm1970
Deryncarm1970 marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Sarina
Sarina marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Akira
Akira marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Oct 16, 2014
B
B marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Blue Fire
  • Bring The Heat
  • Chasing Winter (Warm Rush, #1)
  • Gaylife.com
  • Different Suits (Poker Night, #4)
  • Beyond the Norm
  • Pure Sex
  • The Santa Mug
  • Dare To
  • Sins of the Father
  • Portrait Of A Kiss (Southern Beaus #1)
  • The Sound of Your Voice
  • To Serve and Protect (includes: Firefighters, #4)
  • I Do: An Anthology in Support of Marriage Equality
  • Stepping Up to the Plate (Stepping Up to the Plate, #1)
  • Finding Love (Nowhere Diner, #1)
  • Sins of Arrogance (Creatures of Sin, #1)
(1)gay romance

I’m from New Orleans, that’s N’awlins for those of you who speak the language. I grew up in the Riverbend, or Carrollton, for the old timers, but was a Quarter rat from the age of 11, taking 3 buses to go to art class on Burgundy Street at the Cabrini Doll Museum and NORD center. I attended Univers
More about Lynn Lorenz...
Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3) Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club, #1) Soul Bonds (Common Powers, #1) Rush in the Dark (Common Powers, #2) Bayou's End (Rougaroux Social Club, #2)