Teaching With Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  24 reviews

"I believe in the power of collaborative classroom communities where everyone's ideas are valued and respected. But had you been in my classroom that day, you'd have never known it. You'd have thought I believed that I was the one with all the answers."

Effective, intentional teaching begins with a strong set of beliefs, but even the best teachers — including Debbie Miller

Published August 28th 2008 by Stenhouse Pub (first published August 13th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching With Intention, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching With Intention

Tara Looney
Teaching with Intention by Debbie Miller

As a literacy interventionist, I would recommend this to book any teacher seeking growth and improvement. I started this text with my own professional development plan in mind and look forward to this journey ahead!

This well thought out text is guiding my teaching growth in the direction that I feel is best for not only myself but my students as well. Miller's honesty and reflective point of view made me realize that even after ten years of experience we never stop learning and growing.

I appre...more
Marcy
At the end of second grade, I always get insecure knowing that I can once again teach first grade. Debbie Miller's book, Teaching with Intention, helped me take my "background knowledge" or "schema" about the reading comprehension strategies Stephanie Harvey recommends to use and synthesize how to use her same language and appropriate strategies for first graders. Since Debbie Miller and Stephanie Harvey think pretty much alike, this synthesizing was easy. As I read the book, I jotted down some...more
Amanda Kaye
What an amazing book! I think every new teacher who is in her first five years MUST read this book. And what a great reminder to teacher who have been teaching for a while. I think too often we quickly forget the important details of why we became teacher and what a REAL teacher looks like.

Debbie Miller's first book 'Reading with Meaning' showed us the wonderful material that she was teaching during reading, but this book is the missing puzzle piece. It really breaks down the how. How she plann...more
Carolyn Wilhelm
Good to give yourself a pep talk and not just follow all the programs that can conflict
Kimberly
What can I say ... to me, Debbie Miller is my role model when it comes to classroom environment and the teaching of reading. This book, just like her first, is outstanding. I will read anything that she writes, for I truly feel that she is a master educator. Any opportunity to learn from her is a gift.
Truly.
Susan Hjorleifson
Good book for any teacher. Some good ideas for in the class
Carolyn
Debbie Miller has a wonderful was of teaching and bringing that through in her writing. This book focuses on defining your teaching beliefs, aligning your practice to those beliefs and taking action to be every present with your students. To build a community of learners that learn from each other in sruprisingly wonderful ways. I will return to this book for futher assistance as Debbie is an amazing mentor.
Emily Freeman
This is the best teacher book I've read this summer. Debbie Miller is one of those authors who write like an old friend. So easy to read, but very powerful ideas grounded in theory. She explains in simple terms why it's so important to put theory into practice and shows how it actually looks inside real classrooms. This is a great book!
Stephanie
Perhaps I've tried to read too many professional books lately. This is a good book with some real opportunities to THINK about what WHY we do what we do each day or WHY we present things the WAY we do. I am marking this as "read" though I've only made it about 1/2 way through. It is time to take a break on professional reading for a bit. :)
Dottie Alo
I learned the value of teaching and preparation must be by design and each practice is delivered with my philosophy. Teachers need to be greatly involved in the reflection of their practices in order to evaluate their position and value of teaching that must encompass reform in the global market and our task.
Carm
Even though this book was marketed toward elementary teachers our book study group found the concepts very applicable to teaching at any age. Inspirational and motivational. I'll be thinking about my teaching differently. Already brewing up new approaches that are more in line with my beliefs.

Karen
Important read for everyone who is teaching or preparing to teach. It looks at the fundamentals we need to set up in order to support deep thinking in our classroms. (Environment, time, climate, teacher language, reflection, lesson design, etc.)
Shannon
Debbie Miller is brilliant. She's brilliant because she's not trying to sell a curriculum or a philosophy, but she's challenging us as teachers to look deeper into what we believe. The rest, she insists, will follow. I believe her.
Jenny
A wonderful follow-up to Reading with Meaning. This book continues from RwM and provides explicit ideas for streamlining instruction. This is a fabulous, teacher friendly book to aide in aligning practice with beliefs.
Gresham
One of the best professional books I've read. It really helps you slow down and examine your beliefs and practices. It's one of those books that will change the way you think about teaching and learning.
Amy Leitze
Why don't we read books like this in college? This book is really making me think about my beliefs as an educator and how my teaching supports/contradicts those beliefs.
Mr. Gutschenritter
I loved the ease with which Ms. Miller wrote. It easily allowed both her message through and the material she is teaching to become accessable.
Julie
I liked it and it was really easy to read. Very conversational tone. It made me think about my teaching process and I'd read her other books.
Kris
Jan 18, 2009 Kris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
People, namely teachers and curriculum facilitators, absolutely love this book and say it is transformative in one's teaching practices.
Lea
Written as if Miller is having a conversation with you and very solid advice about teaching.
Holly Comstock
A good reminder for what I know to be good for teaching and learning! Inspirational.
Liz
Excellent important book that will center any teacher.
Ms. Austin
Not as good as her first book, but it is still a keeper.
Sherrie
What an inspiration...
Jonathan87
Jonathan87 marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • Choice Words
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • First Six Weeks of School,The
  • Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Literacy Work Stations
Reading with Meaning Reading with Meaning (second edition) Through A Mother's Eyes I Gave Birth To An Angel Finnish Lapphund Dog Baby Book: A Baby Book to Document Your Dog's Life as It Happens! Bernese Mountain Dog Puppy Baby Book: Capture the Special Moments of Your Puppy Growing Up