Start by marking “1662 Book Of Common Prayer” as Want to Read:
1662 Book Of Common Prayer

1662 Book Of Common Prayer

People interested in Anglican Church history and liturgical development will appreciate this historic edition of the Book of Common Prayer. Black imitation-leather binding, gilt blocking.
629 pages
Published by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about 1662 Book Of Common Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1662 Book Of Common Prayer

Diana
We read part of the original Book of Common Prayer in my British Literature class as an example of how much religion and publishing/writing were still intertwined. As someone who was raised Catholic this is not something I would have ever thought of reading. It was interesting to learn a little bit about the basis of Church of England and the beliefs it espouses. Especially since I was in London earlier this year, and spent quite a bit of time playing tourist in their churches.
Chas Bayfield
Feb 13, 2013 Chas Bayfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. I just loved having it in my hands. The language is wonderful - it feels ancient. It may well be he official handbook to the order of services in Anglican churches but it is also a book of its time - their are prayers for protection against pestilence, and thanksgiving for being spared from a storm at sea. It seems incongruous reading the names of 'Elizabeth,our Queen, Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and Charles, Prince of Wales'. I was given this for my confirmation as a 13 year ...more
Benji
Dec 19, 2008 Benji rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah... Joy of my joys light of my life. I love this prayer book. Poetic, often drawing directly from scripture, majestic and gritty. It was written before the concept of dumbing down had even been spawned. Composed by Thomas Cranmer (a far from holy man in many ways which is what makes it such a good prayer book because it deals with the true dross that we really are whilst aspiring to the hope of utter perfection by the grace of God - in the marriage service it is openly declared that a principl ...more
David
Nov 07, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
'Man that is born of a woman hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery. He cometh up, and is cut down, like a flower; he fleeth as it were a shadow, and never continueth in one stay. In the midst of life we are in death: of whom may we seek for succour, but of thee, 0 Lord, who for our sins art justly displeased?'

I carry a pocket version of this wonderful book with me. I'm no depressive, but the poetic language touches me to the core, and I know the turmoil that went in to producing i
John Andrew Seymour
The 1662 Book of Common Prayer contains some of the most beautiful (and unintentionally humorous) writing ever put down in the English language. Examples include "THE MINISTRATION OF BAPTISM TO SUCH AS ARE OF RIPER YEARS AND ABLE TO ANSWER FOR THEMSELVES" and "A COMMINATION OR DENOUNCING OF GOD'S ANGER AND JUDGEMENTS AGAINST SINNERS WITH CERTAIN PRAYERS TO BE USED ON THE FIRST DAY OF LENT, AND AT OTHER TIMES, AS THE ORDINARY SHALL APPOINT." Love it!!

And this pocket sized copy is perfect for car
RF
Jan 19, 2008 RF rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayer
We got our marriage liturgy from this 1662 traditional BCP - the language is glorious (in Pride and Prejudice, at the weddings of Darcy and Bingley, this is the liturgy that is read). For those of you who appreciate older King James-esque language, this is a beautiful addition to your prayer library.
Devan
Dec 25, 2010 Devan rated it it was amazing
All English speaking Christians would profit from reading/owning this. A treasury of prayer and doctrine. An embodiment of "Lex orandi, lex credendi" (the law of prayer is the law of faith). I am always reading this throughout the year.
James
May 02, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, classics
I have had this since I became a ruling elder. It was a gift and have always enjoyed reading it. It is leather bound and includes the Psalms as well. I read it off and on through the years. Just picked up to read again.
Lue-Yee
May 12, 2012 Lue-Yee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Godly, poetic, useful. The best-written liturgy of the Reformation and a boon to Protestants everywhere.

No, I did not actually have the money to buy it in leather: what I actually got for myself and for others was the plain black hardcover.
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2012
D.N.
D.N. rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2010
Kris Paprocki
Kris Paprocki rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Martin Russell-jones
Martin Russell-jones rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Lydia
Lydia rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Kathy Arenz
Kathy Arenz rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2016
Douglas Wilson
Jan 18, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not this edition, but great.
Jonathan Green
Jonathan Green rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2010
J.
J. rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2010
Judith
Mar 21, 2012 Judith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the language in here, psalms..... etc.!
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015
Danny
Danny rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2007
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2012
Donald S. Atkin
Donald S. Atkin rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Timberly Eckelmann
Timberly Eckelmann rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2009
Philip
Philip rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
The roots of the Church of England go back to the time of the Roman Empire when Christianity entered the Roman province of Britain. Through the influences of St Alban, St Illtud, St Ninian, St Patrick and, later, St Augustine, St Aidan and St Cuthbert, the Church of England developed, acknowledging the authority of the Pope until the Reformation in the 16th century.

The religious settlement that ev
More about Church of England...