Start by marking “1662 Book Of Common Prayer” as Want to Read:
1662 Book Of Common Prayer

1662 Book Of Common Prayer

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  10 reviews
People interested in Anglican Church history and liturgical development will appreciate this historic edition of the Book of Common Prayer. Black imitation-leather binding, gilt blocking.
629 pages
Published by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about 1662 Book Of Common Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1662 Book Of Common Prayer

John Andrew Seymour
The 1662 Book of Common Prayer contains some of the most beautiful (and unintentionally humorous) writing ever put down in the English language. Examples include "THE MINISTRATION OF BAPTISM TO SUCH AS ARE OF RIPER YEARS AND ABLE TO ANSWER FOR THEMSELVES" and "A COMMINATION OR DENOUNCING OF GOD'S ANGER AND JUDGEMENTS AGAINST SINNERS WITH CERTAIN PRAYERS TO BE USED ON THE FIRST DAY OF LENT, AND AT OTHER TIMES, AS THE ORDINARY SHALL APPOINT." Love it!!

And this pocket sized copy is perfect for car
Benji
Ah... Joy of my joys light of my life. I love this prayer book. Poetic, often drawing directly from scripture, majestic and gritty. It was written before the concept of dumbing down had even been spawned. Composed by Thomas Cranmer (a far from holy man in many ways which is what makes it such a good prayer book because it deals with the true dross that we really are whilst aspiring to the hope of utter perfection by the grace of God - in the marriage service it is openly declared that a principl ...more
Chas Bayfield
This book is amazing. I just loved having it in my hands. The language is wonderful - it feels ancient. It may well be he official handbook to the order of services in Anglican churches but it is also a book of its time - their are prayers for protection against pestilence, and thanksgiving for being spared from a storm at sea. It seems incongruous reading the names of 'Elizabeth,our Queen, Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and Charles, Prince of Wales'. I was given this for my confirmation as a 13 year ...more
David
'Man that is born of a woman hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery. He cometh up, and is cut down, like a flower; he fleeth as it were a shadow, and never continueth in one stay. In the midst of life we are in death: of whom may we seek for succour, but of thee, 0 Lord, who for our sins art justly displeased?'

I carry a pocket version of this wonderful book with me. I'm no depressive, but the poetic language touches me to the core, and I know the turmoil that went in to producing i
RF
We got our marriage liturgy from this 1662 traditional BCP - the language is glorious (in Pride and Prejudice, at the weddings of Darcy and Bingley, this is the liturgy that is read). For those of you who appreciate older King James-esque language, this is a beautiful addition to your prayer library.
Lue-Yee
Godly, poetic, useful. The best-written liturgy of the Reformation and a boon to Protestants everywhere.

No, I did not actually have the money to buy it in leather: what I actually got for myself and for others was the plain black hardcover.
Devan
All English speaking Christians would profit from reading/owning this. A treasury of prayer and doctrine. An embodiment of "Lex orandi, lex credendi" (the law of prayer is the law of faith). I am always reading this throughout the year.
James
I have had this since I became a ruling elder. It was a gift and have always enjoyed reading it. It is leather bound and includes the Psalms as well. I read it off and on through the years. Just picked up to read again.
Judith
Love the language in here, psalms..... etc.!
Douglas Wilson
Not this edition, but great.
Bill
Bill added it
Feb 24, 2014
Philip Ryan
Philip Ryan marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Joe Abdelghany
Joe Abdelghany marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Peter Tucker
Peter Tucker is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2013
Thomas Hall
Thomas Hall marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Jules Frakes
Jules Frakes marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Viero
Viero marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Zach Thompson
Zach Thompson marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Chidi OKORO
Chidi OKORO marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church The 1928 Book of Common Prayer The Book of Common Prayer The 1979 Book of Common Prayer The Book of Common Prayer, 1559: The Elizabethan Prayer Book