L is for Lawless (Kinsey Millhone, #12)

L is for Lawless (Kinsey Millhone #12)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  16,223 ratings  ·  292 reviews
Both new readers and old fans will welcome this 12th Kinsey Milhone adventure in the "A" is for Alibi series by Sue Grafton. In this case, Kinsey agrees to do a favor for a friend of a friend and gets herself into so much trouble that she promises at the outset never to do such a thing again without careful consideration.

Henry Pitt, her longtime landlord asks her to help...more
Published July 31st 1996 by Fawcett Books (first published September 5th 1995)

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
267th out of 423 books — 794 voters
The Hunter by Richard StarkBank Shot by Donald E. WestlakeCan't Buy Me Love by Dan McNeilThe Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham
Best Bank Robbery Books
27th out of 42 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
My enjoyment of this book was really diminished by the fact that Kinsey NEVER punched Laura in the face. She needed punching repeatedly. Also, we're on book 12; Kinsey should not be getting tricked quite as easily or as frequently.

But I want to hang out with the grandmother. She rocked.
Aaron
Kinsey Millhone is actually taking a vacation. Thanksgiving is quickly approaching and she has promised to stand up at the wedding of two good friends, but that doesn't stop her from taking on a case. Her good friend and landlord has asked her to talk to the Lees. Johnnie Lee recently passed away, and the family was hoping to get some money from the government to put toward his funeral expenses. He was was a World War II veteran, but their is no record of his service.

After visiting with Lee's gr...more
Susan
Having finished my judging for Florida Scholastic Press Association, I dived right into “L,” hoping Kinsey hadn’t missed me for the few days I was away from her.

In this installment, set in November of 1985 even though it was published in 1995, Kinsey is 35, having had a birthday May 5. Her adored and adoring landlord, Henry, asks her to do him a favor. My guess is this experience pays her up for years to come.

Her adventures take her from her California hometown via air to Dallas and, eventually,...more
Annie Garvey
I enjoy the alphabet series by Sue Grafton. They are well written and plotted. Each book can be read as a stand alone; however, if you read them in order, you can experience the evolving character of the protagonist Kinsey Millhone.
Anne
Is there any joy greater than reading!!! Again, a very Good Read!!!!
Madoka Sakuta
MACMILLAN READERS level5 intermediate
time 160min
7word information key follow fake tell help lawless

Disucussion question
1The main character is Kinsey Millhone. She is so brave.
She faked someone because she wanted to get information.
Have you ever faked someone?
Yes When I was a junior high school student, I facked high school student.
Because It's secret.
2 When you flight somewhere, what are 3 things which are very important?
Money, Phone, Sightseeingbook
Initially I found this book to be a tad better than its most recent predecessors, but then we got to Dallas and the stupidity hit. The longer our heroine hung out with this book's gaggle of ancillary characters, the more idiotic she herself became. By the end I was wishing Granny would take both her shotgun and her Louisville Slugger to the whole lot of 'em.
Ed Napiorkowski
Rated this Kinsey Millhone novel by Sue Grafton at only two stars as not really an investigative story rather a mis match adventure with frustrating characters and in my opinion a sloppy story line. Once again I also felt the end was a disappointment with so much unsaid. Almost like the author had written the prescribed number of pages so let's wind it up here folks. Snippets of earlier connections woven into the story were an attempt to maintain the same character line yet I felt in this and th...more
Thom Walton
This was one of the best ones yet. Kinsey gets her "knickers in a twist" so many times, but she's the gal, and can get herself out of them. By the way... since Kinsey's birthday is tomorrow (May 5, per this episode)Happy Birthday Kinsey.
The 12th book in the Kinsey Milhone alphabet series - and another good read. This one had Kinsey working a case for a friend of a friend for free. A "simple case" that turns out to be not so simple after all.
Jana Baker
Always good, always turning an odd way. Love that they are similar but never the same!
Beth Peninger
Well it's been a while since I picked up a Kinsey Millhone escapade so I thought I'd kill some time with the next one in the series. "L" is for Lawless. It was okay. Truthfully none of Grafton's books are going to get more than 2 or 3 stars from me. They are decent but not great.
In this particular book Kinsey does a favor for Henry, the 80-something landlord she's got a crush on. So this time around she isn't even getting paid for all the danger she finds herself in. What starts out as a simple...more
Bev
I have not been a great fan of Grafton. I'd started her alphabet series many years ago and read a few books, but wasn't passionate enough about them to continue. The reason I read this one was because I had to wait at a bus station after work and had forgotten to bring my Kindle, so I picked this out of the $1 Bargain Box bins outside the store. It was OK. Nothing to make me want to go back to where I stopped and pick up reading the series again.

Detective Kinsey Millhone is asked to do a favor...more
Randee Baty
Kinsey gets herself in another weird and interesting situation in L is for Lawless. By trying to help a neighbor, pro-bono, she ends up in a cross-country trip with plenty of danger and mystery.

Her landlord Henry asks her to help a neighbor down the street with a little problem of trying to get death benefits from the army for his grandfather who served in Burma in WWII and has now died. Kinsey is willing to help because she's taking some time off from her usual PI work to help Rosie and William...more
Jeanette
I think maybe I am feeling a little bit of a Kinsey burnout. I just don't get into these stories as much as I did when I first started reading them.
With L is for Lawless we find Kinsey traveling away from her usual stomping grounds in California to track down answers for a friend of a friend. She is not being paid but she just can't seem to let things go once she gets started. She sets off to find proof that a neighbor's grandfather had served in WWII so the family can give him a military burial...more
Lara Tambellini
This wasn't too bad. It was kind of slow in the beginning, but it got better. I still wish the endings were a little more detailed.

Kinsey's skills are about to be sorely tested. She is about to meet her duplicitous match in a couple of world-class prevaricators who quite literally take her for the ride of her life.

"L" Is for Lawless: Call it Kinsey Millhone in bad company. Call it a mystery without a murder, a treasure hunt without a map, a quest novel with truly mixed-up motives. Call it the re...more
Melissa
Kinsey is technically on vacation in this book, but of course she can’t help but get caught up in an investigation. Her landlord and friend Henry asks for a favor as his brother’s wedding to Rosie approaches. Kinsey helps him out by looking into the question of a friend’s military history. Instead of finding a simple answer Kinsey finds herself on a cross country trip to follow some missing money and uncover the answer to a 40-year-old bank robbery.

My favorite bits were meeting a few of Henry’s...more
Angela
L is for Lee, a recently deceased occupant of Kinsey's neighborhood. Henry Pitts, her landlord, asks her to do a favor for him before his brother's wedding. Kinsey soon finds herself immersed in conspiracy theories and lies, traveling around the South to find answers.

Kinsey's taking a vacation before she has to be a bridesmaid in a Thanksgiving wedding. During her time off, Henry stops by and asks her to do a favor - help a neighbor find information on his grandfather's army service, so he can g...more
Renee Jennings
Henry Pitt, her longtime landlord asks her to help a fellow neighbor find evidence that his grandfather served in the military during the Second World War. With such proof, the man can be decently buried, courtesy of the U.S. government. It seems such a simple thing, but with Kinsey, it rarely is. Be...more
LJ
L IS FOR LAWLESS - VG
Grafton, Sue - 12th in series

When Kinsey Millhone agrees to do a favor for Henry Pitts, her lovable octogenarian landlord, she literally gets taken for the ride of her life. The family of a recently deceased WWII veteran wants her to find out why the military has no record of his service. All Kinsey has to do, she thinks, is cut through some government red tape. But when the dead man's house is ransacked and his old army buddy is beaten up, she quickly realizes he was not a...more
Julianne
Let me say at the outset that I'm a big fan of Kinsey Millhone! Years ago I read some of her books out of order, so I decided to start at the beginning, which I did -- two or three times. I wasn't good at keeping track of what I had read in those days, so I kept getting confused and starting over. Enjoyed the same books again.

Now I have a better tracking system, plus you can keep a record of everything on "Goodreads", can't you? So I'm finally up to "L". Loved it! This one isn't even a real case...more
Christopher
After a disappointing read in "K is for Killer," I believe this is the best in Grafton's alphabet series so far. The whole book kept me on the edge of my seat and the ending wasn't as predictable as some of the earlier books in the series. I would have liked to have a little more closure with Bucky and Chester and their reaction to learning the truth, but I still enjoyed this book very much.
Kellie
-#12 of the Kinsey Malone series-It’s been years since I’ve read one of these. I enjoyed the humor and the interesting plot. This is one of those plots where it reminds me of a bad dream. Imagining you get on a plane because you are following someone. You don’t really know where they are going but you follow them anyway. You have no luggage and almost no money. Very risky but adventurous at the same time. Well, that’s what happens to Kinsey. She gets involved in trying to figure out the history...more
Michelle Brandstetter
SPOILER INNUENDO!

Coming to the middle of the alphabet, Sue Grafton brings us L is for Lawless. Our clever detective, Kinsey Millhone, accidentally stumbles into an unbelievable mystery involving one recently deceased, chintzy grandfather and missing military benefits which leads to quite the tale of bank robbers and missing treasure while being pursued by one dedicated, if not, psychotic killer.

Kinsey's street smarts are, once again, highlighted as she follows an inconsistent bread crumb trail...more
Shahrun
Poor old Kinsey really got herself caught up in an aweful mess this time! And without payment too. Bet that's what hurt her the most. Even though I predicted some of the plot twists, I still felt compelled to read on because I was really enjoying how it all went down. I absolutely loved the character Helen. She was awesome.
David Monroe
Bad. The author burnout is strong with this book. I almost gave up on the series, but a librarian friend promised me that M was one of the best in the series. To those who are where I was, she was not wrong. M Is For Malice removes the bad taste of L.
Ouija
This is probably my least favorite Kinsey Millhone book. I guess it was the author's attempt to get Kinsey out of her familiar setting. This is admirable, but not always successful. (Remember when Jessica Fletcher left Cabot Cove and moved to Manhattan? Blecch.) I dearly missed Kinsey's familiar setting and familiar friends and after they left Dallas, found my interest flagging. There were some interesting characters and situations but other than Kinsey, no characters to root for or really care...more
John Rasmussen
this story did not spark my imagination and my seeing the characters in my mind as i read the book. had a hard time picking it up to continue reading. not my usual response to a Millhone mystery.
Robin Pendergraft
This series is not quite as fun as Stephanie Plum, but good in its own right. It started losing me somewhat, but I still read them for a quick light hearted mystery.
John
Probably one of my favorite books of the series so far. Fun road trip. And Helen, sorry "Hell On" was a hoot. Something about grandmas and guns makes me smile.
The Women's Myste...: L is for Lawless 1 3 Aug 09, 2013 09:28PM
  • The Cheshire Cat's Eye (Sharon McCone, #3)
  • Tunnel Vision (V.I. Warshawski, #8)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au...more
More about Sue Grafton...
A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13) J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10) K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11) B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)