Start by marking “L'incroyable Secret” as Want to Read:
L'incroyable Secret

L'incroyable Secret (Dirk Pitt #6)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  9,019 ratings  ·  161 reviews
Mission : retrouver coûte que coûte un document qui vaut de l'or mais pourrait déclencher une guerre.
Deux des meilleurs agents secrets du monde, Dirk Pitt, l'Américain, et Brian Shaw, l'Anglais, s'affrontent dans une course folle pour mettre, le premier, la main sur cet incroyable secret disparu depuis soixante-quinze ans mais que la belle Heidi Milligan, brillant officier
Paperback, le livre de poche, 409 pages
Published February 2011 by Livre de Poche (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about L'incroyable Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'incroyable Secret

Scott Rhee
So, I’m berating myself that I have only recently discovered the joys of reading Clive Cussler. Seriously, Clive, where have you been all my life?

“Night Probe!” is the third Cussler novel I have ever read, and it’s the sixth to feature his beloved action hero, Dirk Pitt. It’s clear to me now why so many people love the Pitt series.

Strange name aside, Dirk Pitt is a pretty lovable hero. Tough but funny, charismatic but serious when he needs to be, Pitt is basically an American James Bond minus a
Eric Bauman
You know that one favorite restaurant of yours? Sure you do: the one that you go into so often that they know you on sight, and where you order pretty much the same thing every time so that you almost don’t have to order—they just bring it to you. And it is always so good! You know the place?

For me, Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series is like that restaurant (except that Clive Cussler doesn’t know me—at least, I don’t think he does). I have read all but the last two Pitt books—and am rereading them
Roberta
In May 1914 two couriers disappear in twin disasters taking the only two copies of the North American Treaty with them. The governments of the United States and Great Britain order a cover up so it is as if the treaty never existed. In February 1989 Heidi Milligan, a stunningly beautiful (of course) naval commander discovers an obscure reference to the long-lost document which is now worth billions of dollars. The race is on to rescue one copy of the treaty from the bottom of the ocean.

I have a
Kallen Kentner
I've read all of the Dirk Pitt books (except perhaps some of the newest ones) and this definitely ranks as one of my favorites.

In my opinion, Night Probe (pub. 1981) is the best of Dirk Pitt's earlier novel and byy earlier, I mean before books set before Treasure... for no particular reason except I feel that by Treasure, the tone and style of the novels has shifted more to his contemporary style.

I re-read Night Probe! because of my love of the deep water recovery scenes and the exciting locomot
Janet
Dirk does it again, folks. The superhuman stamina and luck Cussler gives this guy always overwhelms me. I would never have accused either of them of having romantic tendencies, but the wonderful ending of Night Probe! (why does he end every title with an exclamation point?) proved me wrong. This is the best novel in the series so far.
John Porter
Okay...I'm Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel. (Actually, I was going to visit a friend, but he was at a meeting...and in case you don't know, pool areas in Vegas that have swim-up gambling are open to the public. Seriously.) And I start giggling uncontrollably. Is it the aluminimum bottled Bud Lights they are bringing on demand (and I was demanding)? The tackiness of the pool area and people there? No. It was from reading Night Probe! It's a Dirk Pitt novel I've somehow missed, and it's one of the mo ...more
Bev Taylor
an early dirk pitt but giordino does put in an appearance (small!)

1914 - 2 top diplomats hurrying home by sea and rail each carrying a document of world changing importance - a north american treaty. however, both the train and the ship are sunk and they die, together with their documents

fast forward 3/4 of a century and with energy a top priority these documents could make a huge difference. enemies and allies alike fight to find them first and in the process many people - good and bad - die.
Lee
This Dirk Pitt adventure was a dangerous one for our hero. With a high body count, corrupt politician's (imagine that?), and a retired British spy called back in to service. This had the feel of a spy novel, with the action of a Pitt novel. Fun read.
Ronald Wilcox
Dirk Pitt really does make me think of a less debonair James Bond whose adventures tie in to water in some fashion. In this outing, a woman who Pitt knows from a previous novel discovers references in some historical research that there may have been a treaty in the 1910's signed between England and the United States, giving the US jurisdiction over Canada in exchange for a large amount of money. She tells Pitt about it and they discover there were two copies of the secret treaty, both which dis ...more
Jeffrey
Mar 27, 2011 Jeffrey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans the world over
Shelves: thriller, mystery
This is a superb example of Cussler's oeuvre. It has action, great scenes, suspense and even a homage to James Bond.

Although Raise the Titanic broke Cussler into superstardom, this book was, to this reader, his best.

Nowadays with his co-written books on the best seller list monthly, its a good idea to go back and read the books that got him there.

Tommy Marriner
don't fool yourself you know the impossible plot and super human main character have got you by the..... well anyway if you never find the time to read it you are missing out.
I started off reading adventure storeys spy's and espionage alternate history's and political thrillers a while ago I was probably about 9 when i read my first Biggles book, after getting bored of harry potter and other such fantasies I decided grampa was right all these years and only just recently running out of authors
Cait
This is a ridiculous book. Utterly ridiculous and incredibly fun to read. If you're traveling and need something to bide your time, read this. All Dirk Pitt novels are page-turners, but this one is particularly classic.
D.L. Thomas
Night Probe seemed more character centered and less about heart pounding action than other Pitt stories. I love all of Cussler's books, and the action sequences are typically the primary draw for me. Yet, this is probably my favorite Cussler novel. Cussler is a master story teller and this is a remarkable story even if it isn't as fast paced as the others. I can't put a finger on what makes it so compelling for me, but I think it has to do with the train itself - trains seem like such a romantic ...more
Ryan Scicluna
James Bond meets Dirk Pitt. No seriously there is James bond in this novel by Clive Cussler.
Teo Hoppe
'm not going to give this one 5 stars because it's just not as good as many people play it out to be. I had read a lot of these reviews before I bought it and it just wasn't one of the best books ever. Hey, Cussler is a good writer.
I liked Night Probe and will continue to read his stuff. All the same Dirk Pitt acrobatics are there. Giordino is in tow as well. Good stuff. Fun stuff. As can be expected.
On the down side, I thought some of the literary elements were a bit lacking. Not to give too mu
Betelgeuse
Dec 09, 2014 Betelgeuse rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chi sogna immersioni al buio in acque misteriose.
Recensione pubblicata su Cronache di Betelgeuse

Nuova avventura e nuovi nemici per Dirk Pitt. Il nostro protagonista stavolta dovrà affrontare complotti politici tra due nazioni confinanti e immergersi in due località diverse: nel fiume Hudson e nel bacino di San Lorenzo. Entrambi i luoghi presentano incognite e bisognerà tenere gli occhi ben aperti per le possibili intromissioni di chi trama dalla superficie.

Dirk Pitt dovrà sfoderare tutto il suo ingegno per riuscire a trovare il modo di tirarsi
Neil
This is a book that brings me both enjoyment and frustration. It is a fast book [not as fast as Vixen 3, but still fast] and it still manages to be interesting. It also has James Bond appearing opposite Dirk Pitt. Ironically, this is my third or fourth copy of the hardbound edition. I bought my first copy at a thrift store, loaned it out, and never got it back. Same with the second copy. The third copy I bought at a used book store, only to have it magically disappear from my shelves [either I l ...more
Holly
I have been intrigued with Dirk Pitt from the very first book, Pacific Vortex!, and this sixth installment hasn't changed that.

In this book we see Dirk Pitt searching for the North American Treaty, now I do feel like as the series went on that it isn't really centered on Dirk Pitt any longer. As it switches from one view point to another I felt like I kind of lost the Dirk Pitt I loved in the very first book. This one seemed more centered on the Treaty, which didn't make for a bad read, I liked
Pamela
Greg Strandberg
Superb suspense! This is one of the best in the Dirk Pitt series, and I really think you should stop reading this rubbish review and get this book.

I've read nearly all of the Pitt books now (missing a few later ones), and I think this and Vixen 03 are the best. I love the ending here, and the suspense around the train.

Cussler really starts to hit you with his surprise endings around this book, a great formula he'd follow for some time to come.

Pick this up...now!
Kshydog
Liked the idea of both a ship and a train as possible places to explore with a hero that is always right and able to do the impossible. Also like how much of the things used are actually are or were in existence. Did not like how many political men were involved in the story because it got confusing on who was who. Wondered about where the truth was on some of the historical details. Did not like how manipulative politicians can be.
Philip Upstone
I acknowledge that Dirk Pitt books are not really intended to be read directly after each other as they are rather samey, however I would say that it is an enjoyable enough romp; even if the basic premise is rather daft.

I'm hoping the next book moves away from the "salvage the sunken mcguffin" plot as parts of this felt very similar to parts of Raise the Titanic. However that didn't stop me enjoying it.
Susan
I intentionally have gone back to the beginning of the Dirk Pitt series. This book is an easy read, with fun and adventure, but I have to say I was disappointed in the sex scenes that are included. The explicitness wasn't needed for plot etc, I'm VERY glad that they aren't there in the later books.
Richard
My first Dirk Pitt. This was an interesting read, when by surprise they talked about the James Bay Power project and the separation of Quebec from Canada. All of this semi factual background is mixed in with the concerns of the US and a newly independent Quebec and an ancient Treaty between giving Canada to the US. A fun read at times, but too much going on. I finished this waiting for the flight home from Lexington. I gave this a weak 4.
Nathan Beck
I struggled through this one. I'm not getting much character building on these books because the focus is on the characters that are just for this book. The story line is so absurd and the inventions that he comes up with make it obvious that he just watched "Star Wars". I mean the book WAS published in '81. But hey, it's adventure and I look forward to the future as we push on for more Pitt.
Clancy Metzger
OK... once again I could not get into this book. I was quite a ways in and still hadn't even encountered the title character. I don't know. I guess me and Clive Cussler are not on the same vibe. I'll have to hope for another movie.
Peter
What do a St. Lawrence River boat crash and a Hudson River train crash have in common? Dirk Pitt. That and the fact that several governments are all interested in a historical artifact relating to both diasters. Throw in some high-tech diving and gunfights, take Giordino and Gunn along for the ride, and you have Night Probe.

Cussler had almost hit his stride with this book. It was better written than his next, Iceberg, and he brought the reader into the story. The downside was the last third of t
Gregory Tait
enjoyable... Pitt is over the top but he always is. but a very good book to escape and have fun with. Image a squad of British royal marines having a skirmish with a platoon of U.S Marines! in the countryside of New York state in modern times!!! intresting !
Jennie
The thing to keep in mind during this book is when it was published. It's a good book, a fun read, implausible but amusing, and I certainly have a weak spot for books like this. But as a modern reader who wasn't born when this book was published, I definitely had to keep telling myself that this book was published before the Berlin Wall came down, before the internet or truly modern communication, etc. That doesn't really take away from the story, but it's still something to remember when you wa ...more
Mike
this being my 6th Cussler book I'm slowly getting acclimated to his style and prose. Dirk Pitt is definitely a cool cat.
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • Divide and Conquer (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #7)
  • Bahama Crisis
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • The Saboteurs (Men at War, #5)
  • Day of Reckoning
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #6)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • San Andreas
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
  • Area 7 (Shane Schofield, #2)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)
Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15) Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4) Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16)