The Jeeves Collection: Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves / The Inimitable Jeeves / Carry On, Jeeves (Jeeves #13, 2, & 3)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This volume brings together three rib-tickling books, featuring hapless man-about-town Bertie Wooster, and his manservant Jeeves. Bertie has an unfailing talent for getting into sticky situations, but Jeeves never fails to come to his rescue, be it from the threat of matrimony, relatives or Aunts.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1992)

Alice
This is another in my growing list of books listened to on the commute to and from work, and I may keep going after British comedies, if the track record remains. I found this one quite entertaining, if a bit repetitive and not quite laugh-out-loud funny.

Hearing the Jeeves and Wooster tales as a radio drama is probably far different from reading them, but I liked the deliveries of the actors, for the most part. Sometimes, they spoke a little too quickly, or a little too softly, for me to make ou...more
Paul
While listening an author interview at the end of a book I liked, the author referred to P.G. Wodehouse as his favorite author. Wow, what a great endorsement, I thought. So shortly thereafter I sought audio books by Wodehouse, particularly the 'Jeeves' collection to which that author referred. My first encounter ("Love Among the Chickens") was a bit of a disappointment, but I decided to try again with this collection of Jeeves stories by Wodehouse. Unfortunately I must admit I was disappointed a...more
Candi
I love P.G. Wodehouse books. They don't get any better than this. Hilariously funny, witty, well paced, and with absurd, but believable plots. My husband gets annoyed when I read them because I laugh out loud, all the time, at a book written over 100 years ago.

Also, I felt very smart reading this book, because I caught a reference to an old pirate book Captain Blood that I just barely read. I feel like I now should go around flicking the impeccable Mechlin lace at my cuffs.
Paula
Aug 15, 2008 Paula rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with a sense of humour
Recommended to Paula by: My Sister, Charlotte
Shelves: favorite-books
Most of my favorite books are serious in nature, a learning experience. This is one delightful exception. This book is one of the few that have ever made me laugh out loud while reading it alone. It is hysterically funny. It is "humour" with a "u", that is, British style. Jeeves is the character who started all of those stereotyped butlers who are smarter than their employers. You would think that, since we are so familiar with this kind of character now, we would know what to expect, but Jeeves...more
Patrick Callahan
Somehow I "The Inimitable Jeeves" had escaped my Wodehouse reading over the years.
Lynne-marie
Apr 10, 2011 Lynne-marie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with a sense of humor
We hear of Jeeves in so much other literature of various sorts of of varying decades, it seemed to me a shame not to read some of the original stuff myself. Well, it's as brilliant and as witty as all the reference make it out to be and it's also as funny -- with me guffawing and hoping no windows are open to the Spring air so my neighbors will think I'm potty. When I have the time I'll read more. Jeeves is definitely like salted nuts . . . you want more as soon as possible! Recommended to every...more
Linda
Pure light-hearted entertainment--that's what the JEEVES books are. I've found quite a collection of reading material on the Kindle free reader list, and this was one of them. If you're looking for something deep, complex, or in any way mind-expanding, this is not the series for you. But if you're in the mood for some quirky, light reading, curl up in a cozy chair and grab a JEEVES book. It'll hit the spot.
Patricia
P.G. Wodehouse wrote like a fiend, and his particular specialty was soft, intelligent, wry humour. Whenever I read Wodehouse's work, I find myself smiling and smiling -- always makes me feel good. Gentle stories in a language that is beautifully wrought.
Sadie
Bordering on a three-four stars. I really did like it. I love Jeeves and Wooster. The stories, however, are a lot the same and a whole compilation of them got a little old. I should've mixed it up with other books. Overall, a funny, light read.
Erin
Found on the street in front of my building. Jeeves, save me from The Corrections!

Mildly charming, but repetitive. I will however give Fry & Laurie a go. Perhaps they are what I wanted all along.
Squeaky
I keep picturing Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry mouthing the words as I read. Great stuff, that's why I keep re-reading it every year or so.
Julie
I loved this book. It was absolutely amazing. I would read anything else by p.g. wodehouse, and am thinking about actually buying one.
Sherri
A complete delight! The writing is superb. No great insights just pure joy of language and laughter.
Mary Tuley
Aug 09, 2007 Mary Tuley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody who wishes that the world were civilized.
The best of the best Jeeves, which is the best of Wodehouse!
E. K.
Spiffing, and just plain fun. Now to watch the BBC series.
William Sommerstedt
William Sommerstedt marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Rebecca Macarthur
Rebecca Macarthur marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • The Ultimate David Sedaris Audio Collection
  • Feminista
  • Mrs. Jeffries Speaks Her Mind
  • My World And Welcome To It
  • Natural Flights of the Human Mind
  • Before Lunch
  • Father Brown Stories (Penguin Popular Classics)
  • Ayala's Angel
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Fashionably Late
  • The Most Of S.J.Perelman
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • 100 Essential Things You Didn't Know You Didn't Know
  • The Benchley Roundup
  • The Faggiest Vampire
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes and Tales of Terror and Mystery
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 30 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)