Start by marking “Ruthless Awakening” as Want to Read:
Ruthless Awakening

Ruthless Awakening

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The grandeur of Penvarnon House in Cornwall is where Rhianna Carlow spent her lonely childhood as the housekeeper's unwanted niece. Now she's a guest returning for a wedding at Penvarnon--and billionaire Diaz Penvarnon is back, too, seemingly as arrogant and ruthless as ever!Diaz has one aim--to keep gold digger Rhianna away from the house. He's also the descendant of a Sp ...more
Paperback, Harlequin Presents #2863, 192 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ruthless Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruthless Awakening

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This is a very good one if you like the old school Harlequin Presents. Ms. Craven has written Rhianna in such a way that you feel a lot of sympathy for her. Rhianna definitely got a raw deal in her young life. Her mother is reviled because of her affair with Ben Penarvon, who had an invalid wife, and her mother was hired to be her nurse. When her parents died, she ended up living with an aunt who never loved her, and treated her like a burden the whole time. She grew up as the child of the hired ...more
Ann Keller
Nov 12, 2009 Ann Keller added it
Shelves: romance
Diaz Penvarnon figured Rhianna Carlow for a calculating seductress, a woman who could shatter the happiness surrounding the upcoming nuptials in a single moment of indiscretion. So, Diaz spirited her away aboard his yacht, certain he’d averted a family disaster.

Unfortunately, life aboard ship threw them into close proximity with each other and the more Diaz knew about Rhianna, the more appealing she became. What a rude awakening he had when he discovered she was an innocent! If Rhianna was hardl
Sapheron
willaful

I realized shortly into this book that I had read it before -- a sign of a good Harlequin, since I've reread some with no memory of them whatsoever. I actually enjoyed it more this time around, though the hero's behavior did not improve on further acquaintance. He's a lot less rapey than many a Craven hero, but his general ethics are confounding.
Susanna Carr
Oct 03, 2009 Susanna Carr added it
Shelves: presents
This story has a family saga feel to it. There are a lot of family secrets, flashbacks and upstairs/downstairs differences.
Twiggy
This was just ok. Much of the plot was told by way of reminiscences and back story. Effectively the heroine grows up living with the hero's family with a cloud over her head and she is treated as a Cinderella / second class citizen.
She is eventually thrown out by her heartless aunt and makes a name for herself as a famous actress. She has remained friendly with the daughter of the house and returns for her wedding to a real cad. there are a number of misunderstandings whereby the hero seems to t
Dianna
It is impossible to approach a novel with that title and not know you’re in for some fairly dramatic virginity breeching.

Rhianna plays a villain on a popular soap, and she’s sadly in a fictional world that doesn’t treasure bad girls and celebrate their awesomeness. She can’t be cool and funny about it, or even indifferent when people confuse her with her character. Instead, just about everyone in this book thinks that she’s a wicked nasty thing, and she’s not much into correcting their opinions.
Tia
The heroine was coming back to her childhood 'home' for a wedding when the hero kidnaps her. For the hero believes she is nothing but a gold digger and out for money no matter which way she can get it. What the hero doesn't know until he takes her for himself is she is not who he thought she was...

I thought this was a great read but I have some complaints about the passion, it seemed to be lacking compared to others.
willaful
I was in just the mood for a cruel hero/misunderstood heroine story, so I enjoyed this one. (The hero is actually not half bad, by Harlequin Present standards.) Would have rated it higher but the plot was kind of confusing and it really overdid the flashbacks.
sbf20112011
I liked this one pretty well. Had a little too much back story and not enough romantic action going on for my taste, but I was attached to the characters and I liked that the hero had loved the heroine for so long.
Bekah
This book was highly frustrating for me because it was basically one big huge misunderstanding and also a study in what not to do to your best friend. I really felt like Rhianna was a strong female character up until the big reveal happened and then she sort of withered for a bit. I don't want to add spoilers here, but I will say that the writing style included flashbacks - some were fine for me, while others just left me feeling quite frustrated because they went on too long. I wanted it all to ...more
MK
Jul 02, 2013 MK rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-f
At first, I seemed to be intrigue with the concept of the story. But later on, there are just many conflicts that are going on that I become bored with it. The intricate description of what they eat every time and the dialog between them seems to be fake somehow, that normal people at that time will not say that in their everyday talk. The ending seems to be cut off somehow, and Diaz's spiel takes away the sweetness of his declaration to Rhianna. Anyway, this is a nice read.
Yolanda
Rhianna Carlow has to live with an aunt she does not know and who does not want her after her mom dies. Most of her childhood is unpleasant because she is shunned by most around her. She does make friends with Carrie, daughter of family her aunt works for. The story starts somewhat slow, but picks up the pace and reveals a surprise or two. The back story may have been a little to long for my taste, in a shorter story, but overall enjoyed the book.
Aisha
5 stars definitely! My review in spanish is at www.facebook.com/NoveleraRomantica
Savitha
Savitha marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Amine The I
Amine The I marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Lezet Van zyl
Lezet Van zyl marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Oshrat
Oshrat added it
Jun 06, 2015
Fatima Khalifa
Fatima Khalifa marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Laura A. Kolacinski
Laura A. Kolacinski marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Dr Shamim
Dr Shamim marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
  • Mistress: Pregnant by the Spanish Billionaire
  • His Virgin Acquisition
  • Pure Princess, Bartered Bride
  • Bought: The Greek's Innocent Virgin
  • Strangers in the Desert (The Al Dhakir Brothers #1)
  • The Dark Side of Desire
  • The Restless Billionaire (Bad Blood #3)
  • Raffaele: Taming His Tempestuous Virgin (Orisini Brothers, #1)
  • Italian Boss, Ruthless Revenge
  • The Bride Thief
  • Shattered Trust
  • Bond of Hatred
  • Untouched Until Marriage
202248
Anne Bushell was born on October 1938 in South Devon, England, just before World War II and grew up in a house crammed with books. She was always a voracious reader, some of her all-time favorites books are: "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "Middlemarch" by George Eliot, "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë, "Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell and "The Code of the Woosters" by P. G. Wodehous ...more
More about Sara Craven...
The Innocent's Surrender Wife in the Shadows Comparative Strangers Innocent on Her Wedding Night The Forced Bride

“It’s a pity that virgins can’t be issued with some kind of barcode. Think of the problems that would have saved you.” 2 likes