Start by marking “Cue for Treason” as Want to Read:
Cue for Treason

Cue for Treason

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  1,420 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Fleeing from the evil Sir Philip Morton, Peter Brownrigg finds himself on the wrong side of the law - and on the run. As he makes his way to London, he meets Kit, another runaway, and the two decide to stick together. With luck on their side, they find jobs as apprentices to William Shakespeare, but a chance discovery endangers their lives once more. Soon Peter finds himse ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published July 26th 1973 by Puffin Books (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Cue for Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cue for Treason

I had to do this in grade nine... I say HAD to, but after the first chapter I secretly enjoyed HAVING to read it. So much so that I kept my copy, or at least found another copy shortly after, as it's the same cover and edition as the one I read in school. It later helped me to enjoy Shakespeare a little more, as I understood more of the background of Shakespeare and what it was he did and where he was in the world. We even had to do a big bristol board layout of the Globe Theatre, so that was he ...more
Mar 02, 2016 Isabella rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I've been reading this book for is actually quite interesting and I really enjoyed. It was quick paced and interesting.
May 25, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely got me hooked on Shakespearean and Elizabethan times!
Nov 06, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
This was a re-read, after many years. I read this book from Wigmore Public Library when I was 8 or 9 I guess. I loved it, read it several times, but never owned a copy until now. In fact, although it stayed in my mind, I am ashamed to say I forgot its title and author. About 15 years ago I started wracking my brains about who might have written it, what it might have been called, but to no avail. Then, 2 weeks ago, at work, I was re-ordering stock when the computer screen suddenly shouted out at ...more
Jun 27, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it
This is quite the adventure story. Obviously aimed at young boys (and tomboys), it has a slightly dull beginning, but soon picks up. History buffs interested in the time of Elizabeth I or Shakespeare will also be interested - both historical figures make appearances. As is the case with most children's books, author Trease sanitizes Shakespeare and rather softens the Queen. However, I was pleased to see that she isn't portrayed as a saint. It's always interesting to read books set during her rei ...more
May 10, 2015 Zeechick rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. The descriptions, while a bit hard for me to picture since I'm not familiar with what the English countryside looked like in the Shakespearian era, were beautiful. The whole thing was fast paced, kept you guessing till the very end, and, the end. I love it WAY too much. It was surprisingly easy to read despite it being set in the time of Shakespeare. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes action, adventure and historical fiction.
May 30, 2016 Ruby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It was interesting, and had a good plot. It was about boring in the start, but it got interesting, and I liked how they added in Shakespeare. I just didn't find it very interesting. 3 stars.
Victoria Wilson
Feb 24, 2013 Victoria Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for grade 9 English, and I loved it. I read ahead, alot, one of the best books I have ever read. Full of action and things I never expected. My favourite character was Kit. I highly suggest everyone read this book.
Jul 27, 2011 Kerra added it
Read for gr. 9 English

Well, about a month later...I'm done!

It was actually a pretty good book, for a school book
Oct 10, 2016 Rigormorpheus rated it it was amazing
Every bit as good as when I was a child.
Gab McLaren
Feb 26, 2013 Gab McLaren rated it liked it
I read this book as part of an English class during a unit on Elizabethan England, so I'll try to do my best not to make the annoyance I got from the associated projects bleed into this review. However before you read Cue for Treason you need to know its history, or at least I thought it was useful to know it. This book was written to boost the morale of British people during WWII, in a time when bombs were being dropped on London night (the Blitz on London) after night and morale was low.

The s
Nov 23, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor-history
This was a brilliant and intricate story and I highly enjoyed it! It has been some time since I read a Tudor themed novel and, even though this is mainly for Young Adults, I LOVE the setting, the plot, and the Shakespeare/players tie-in. Some of the plot twists were a little predictable, but I was impressed with how many plot twists the author could fit into one book without it seeming repetitive!
This book has great characters- the very last paragraph made me SO happy! (But you have to have rea
Jan 31, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book a while back when I was in high school and I remeber it as my favourite book from my time in grade 9 Engligh.

The story is set in Elizabethan England and is based around Peter, a 14 year old runaway who ends up an actor for a playing company. There is meets Kit, a twelve year old girl disguised as a boy. She is also a runaway to avoid being married to Sir Phillip who only wants to marry her for her inheritance. Sir Phillip is also the man Peter is running away from.

Peter and Kit
Grade 9 English syllabus included this book. I quite adore conversations about Shakespeare and have obviously read a few Shakespeare biographies as well as novels where he's a character. Usually those are ridiculous, and I think this counts. This book includes the girl-pretending-to-be-a-boy-to-act plot, which is such a dead horse trope that somehow bothers me a lot. I dislike that its used as a short-cut in writing female characters in historical fiction in the hopes of making them "relatable" ...more
Jun 11, 2013 Bret rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A good historical fiction novel, a bit old-fashioned, but since it takes place in Elizabethan England (1590's) it doesn't feel too dated. The plot, which involves a 15-year old boy fleeing for his life from an unjust nobleman, joining up with a traveling group of theatrical players, making his way to London, and eventually helping foil a plot to murder the Queen is pure balderdash, but author Geoffrey Trease keeps things moving at a good clip, and the story never drags. It's an old-fashioned adv ...more
May 26, 2016 Mei rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh have to read this for English...

This is going to suck...

OMG I read two pages of Kat or Kit or whatever and I already know she's a girl. PATHETIC. And I have to write an essay about this crap -.-

Wasn't too torturous to read... however it was very cliche and somewhat poorly written. It's also so unrealistic that I've ended up throwing it against a wall and feeling embarrassed for the authors sake. Yes some famous, rich, and historic figure is randomly going to help you for nothing in re
Mar 18, 2011 Bob rated it it was amazing
An appealing historical novel for pre-teens. One of my favorites as a kid. Cool plot about a girl trying to break into the Elizabethan theatre world - and so compelled to impersonate a boy who happens to be surprisingly natural at playing female Shakespearean roles! She meets Will and other greats, and gets into an exciting, dangerous adventure that is related to the gunpowder plot, if I recall correctly. Well written in the British style. Maybe it seems dated now, but I'm surprised it hasn't go ...more
Mar 09, 2014 Em rated it it was ok
Interesting as a youthful period piece introducing young readers to Shakespearean England, which is no doubt why it is so widely used that way in schools across North America. But as a novel? For me, the action is straightforward and predictable, the characters uncomplicated and static, and there are entirely too many hokey coincidences. Written in the 1940s, Cue for Treason bears the stamp of its era in the way that the Narnia books show their age, but without the thematic depth that would make ...more
Apr 06, 2013 Beckbeck rated it really liked it
I had to read this particular book in grade 9 as part of our curriculum and was glad that I got the chance to do so. Overall a very simple read and quite enjoyable. With the main character on the run from the law, bumping into character such as Shakespeare and queen Elizabeth, all while trying to prove his innocence!! I won't give away the ending for those who haven't read it, but if you're looking for a quick read with a little adventure, you can't go wrong with this one.
Paula Dembeck
Nov 17, 2013 Paula Dembeck rated it really liked it
Required reading in Grade 7 I think.
Story set in late 1500 early 1600s England when Elizabeth 1st rules. Follows the adventures of a boy and a girl as they travel across England in a theater group.
They encounter Will Shakespeare and Richard Burbage and even save the life of the queen when they come upon a conspiracy to execute her.
One of the few required reading books in school that I enjoyed.
Great adventure story with a historical background.
May 21, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: average
3 stars and you know why that probably is? Cause I had to study this book in school and it really did my head having too, I just didn't like the teachers style probably and thanks to you Mrs Miller I have now grown to hate this book, and just want to see the back of it. Don't get me wrong its not an awful story but when your teacher manages to turn you against the book because of her, safe to say my teacher was rubbish.
Jan 28, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
Another book I first read at school which I've reread in the last few years. It's the story of Kit and Peter who, running away for different reasons, both end up in William Shakespeare's theatre company, and from there end up getting involved in a plot against Elizabeth I. A good old fashioned adventure story. It's not that long since I last read it, but I got it off the shelf again, as it fits with my current Shakespeare/History phase.
Jan 04, 2016 Caitlin rated it really liked it
I read this book a long time ago in school and I remember that I loved it. I think it was one of those cases where I read ahead of the assigned reading schedule because I enjoyed it so much. Every now and then I think about this book, but only recently rediscovered the title through a little searching. Glad I found it.
Feb 06, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a fun book -- reminds me of the books I used to read as a kid, and definitely true to the formula of the times. I read most of it in a single night, and *would* have if I hadn't started late already. An entertaining book, and very well written, though the author is obviously trying to make it an educational experience as well.
Jun 10, 2011 Eve rated it liked it
We had to read this book for class and I'll have to say it was pretty average...I wasn't particularly captivated by it but the story was relatively interesting. (Besides I had no choice in not reading it.) I think it was interesting how Shakespeare appears as a character and I got to know a little bit more about the Elizabethan England. That's pretty much it...
Feb 09, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens
This was the first historical fiction set in Elizabethan England that I ever read. It seemed to resonate with me, to this day that is my favourite time period. My literature teacher had us read this in grade 7 or 8 to familiarize us with the time period of Shakespeare, before we started studying the plays in high school. I haven't read this in 30 years but I have fond memories of this book.
Aug 13, 2013 Aleena rated it it was amazing
I read this book for my English class and I have to say, it is a lot better than the other books we were assigned. It's a fast paced adventure set in Shakespeare's time with action and a dash of romance (explained in the end) that's perfect if you don't like over the top drama and romance too much. I'm actually trying to find a copy for my bookshelf, it's a must have for me.
Bianca Islington
Let's just say it took me a long time to finish it. But the book was good. I loved the writing style, the characters were fun and the plot was quickly paced with some nice details on England at that time.
The protagonist told the story through a very naive and innocent eye but the girl, Kat was a charm to read about, really liked her.
Oct 19, 2015 Macklin rated it liked it
Read this in Grade 10 English class. Right before we did Romeo and Juliet, which I enjoyed way more that I expected too. Anyway Cue for Treason is fun, but boring to be read in class. In class we compared it to a tv show. Each chapeter ends in a ridiculous cliff hanger.
Nov 02, 2011 Sophia rated it it was amazing
Read this in my grade 9 English class. Pretty good for a book that you have no choice but to read. I am not the one to read this genre, but I enjoyed it :) It was funny, suspenseful, and made my English class less boring.
What's The Name o...: Solved: Girl in Shakespearean(ish) time acts in play [s] 6 157 Jan 11, 2013 06:56PM
  • The Lantern Bearers
  • The Wool-Pack
  • Mr. Majeika
  • The Nargun and the Stars
  • Talking In Whispers
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2)
  • Nobody's Family Is Going to Change
  • Memorias de una vaca
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming
  • The Ghost Drum (Ghost World, #1)
  • The Otterbury Incident
  • Crisis on Conshelf Ten (Crisis on Conshelf Ten, #1)
  • Smith
  • Some of the Kinder Planets: Stories
  • A Pack of Lies
  • Jan, mein Freund
  • Jennings Goes To School
Robert Geoffrey Trease (August 11, 1909 - January 27, 1998) was a prolific writer, publishing 113 books between 1934 (Bows Against the Barons) and 1997 (Cloak for a Spy). His work has been translated into 20 languages. His grandfather was a historian, and was one of the main influences towards Trease's work.

He is best known for writing children's historical novels, whose content reflects his insis
More about Geoffrey Trease...