Start by marking “Get Off Your "But": How to End Self-Sabotage and Stand Up for Yourself” as Want to Read:
Get Off Your "But": How to End Self-Sabotage and Stand Up for Yourself

Get Off Your "But": How to End Self-Sabotage and Stand Up for Yourself

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  503 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Sean is an amazing person with an important message."
--President Bill Clinton"Sean Stephenson is the Yoda of personal development, with less pointy ears."
--Jimmy Kimmel, host of ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live"

"As we struggle with inertia to become the best that we can be, Sean Stephenson's book informs and inspires us to stand up and keep moving forward. Thank you, Sean, for you
Published April 20th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Get Off Your "But", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Off Your "But"

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniEragon by Christopher PaoliniEldest by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
My Favourite Books
84th out of 190 books — 62 voters
The Martian by Andy WeirA Man Called Ove by Fredrik BackmanThe Nightingale by Kristin HannahTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeReady Player One by Ernest Cline
Your Top 5 Reads in 2015
120th out of 307 books — 171 voters

More lists with this book...

The corny title drew me to pick this book up initially. I thought "I bet this is really aweful, perfect for a scathing review." But it wasn't the case.

The author, Sean Stephenson, was born with a brittle bone disease. During his birth every bone in his body broke. The poor baby was shattered, born into excruciating pain. None of the doctors believed he would survive for long, but he did.

Because of his disease he had constant fractures through his childhood, and wherever these fractures happened
Zoha Trabelsi
بالرغم إني تركت كتب التنمية البشرية منذ زمن طويل، ولم يكن جذّاب لي عنوانه إطلاقاً .. فالكتاب كان إقتراح من صديقة عزيزة بالتالي خططت لقراءة أول صفحاته و ترك الباقي في اليوم الذي يليه .. ولكن لم يمنحني أي فرصة للتوقف .. قصة شون قصة تحرّك المشاعر بالفعل، و اثّرن فيّ نفسي جداً مراحل معاناته .. كان الكتاب بعيد كل البعد عن الكتب التنمية البشرية التقليدية .. الكتاب يمهد إليك فكرة إنك تستطيع أن تصنع من آلامك حياة تستحق العيش .. في تجربة شون الذي طالما احب الحياة ومافيها .. ما يريد إيصاله شون لك بإختصار ...more
There was a lot of good material. However, the big takeaway for me on this book wasn't the material. It was the author and his personal testimony. All of the principles that Stephenson espoused were punctuated by stories from his personal life. They were truly remarkable.

At birth, Stephenson wrestled with a profoundly destructive bout of brittle bone disease. He was born with virtually every bone in his body broken. Only his parents believed that he would survive.

He beat the odds, but not with
If only i can rate it 10 stars or above !!
 photo The-inspiring-story-of-Sean-Stephenson-2_zpsa45d2ed6.jpg

>> Sean Stephenson >>the author of this book.
Now what would you expect of a person in such shape! A person who has a malformation since he was born! He would be devastated, and totally ruined, he won’t be able to live with all the struggles facing him! Yet he is the most inspirational person... A truly motivational speaker who can change your life...The way you consider life problems and issues...
Throughout 6 lessons (in each there are addit
Nahlh Saidlani
كتاب جميل و بسيط ، للكاتب روح حلوة تلمس ملامحها في اسلوبه المفعم بالتفاؤل و حب الحياة ، كما ان فهمه العميق للمعاناة يجعل من السهل عليه أن يصل الى قلوب أشد الناس إعراضاً عن الأمل...
Tom Franklin
Stephenson's book is a series of strategies for eliminating excuses and taking control of your life. His own life story is one of the most moving points in the book, with the early chapters being almost painful to read.

That Stephenson has done what he has with his life is nothing short of amazing. It gives him all of the authority needed to author such a book.

One problem I had with his advice was that he continually harped on looks, bodies, and wanting to show off his ability to attract the oppo
I started this book with my eyes rolling. Yes, I'm that cynufa it seems. I guess I have a strong BS meter and I instinctively have always thought that self-help books were just piramid schemes or just positive affirmations. After ally undergrad was in psych so that was a real science so what could these hacks know that the great theorists didn't.

Well. It turns out everything. Nearly all psych pathologizes behavior. It then diagnoses you with a chronic, biochemical disorder that you'll have for l
استمتعت حقاً بقراءة الكتاب
أن تتخلص من كلمة لكن وتبدأ بالعمل وتترك وراءك أعذارك السابقة هو ما استلهمه من هذا الكتاب
الكاتب يمتلك طريقة لتحفزيك وجعللك مستمتعا في آن واحد
انصح الجميع به
Sherri Matyas
I hated the fact that at the end of each chapter he ask you to complete a task in a journal BUT!.... I did it and Wow! It is hard to actualy see on paper how many BUT's I need to overcome. Sherri
قصة حياة شون دليل أنه لا حدود لمقدراتنا طالما حررنا أنفسنا من "لكن" واستبدلناها ب"ومع ذلك"
Hessah Alhashash
هذا الكتاب مؤثر
Abdullah Al Birkdar (Patrick)

Just knowing what Sean went through in his life, and where he is now, that by itself should make you Get Off Your Buts for good. This guy's bones break at the slightest pressure, he had felt that impossibly awful pain of broken bones on daily basis as a kid, not to mention the emotional scars that being a different child left in him. And yet, here he is, a motivational speaker! and not only that, but he worked in The White House, met some of the greatest

هذا الكتاب يعلمك باختصار كيف تجلب الأحزان والهموم وتعيش حياة مليئة بالآلام ، ولحسن الحظ يعلمك ضد هذا

شون سيتفنسون تحدث في بداية الكتاب عن بدايته هو وكيف ظهر للحياة بجسد مليئ بالتشوهات والآلام ، وكم تأثرت حينما بدأ يشرح يوميات معاناته حتى صُدم يومًا حينما قالت له أمه:" لا مفر من الألم ، في نهاية المطاف سيمسُّنا كلنا ، وأما المعاناة فهي شيء إختياري ".

بعد هذه الجملة تغيرت حياة شون وحياة الكثيرين كما يظهر من عدد ما طُبع من الكتاب.

لاحظت وأما اقرأ أن شون يتحدث من واقع تجربة فهو ليس المعالج ذو ربطة العن
Nicely written and very easy to absorb. Some very inspiring stories from the author and his ability to overcome difficulty.

Very common sense approach overall, useful to get you thinking about where your life is at and how to move forward with things that might be holding you back or unfulfilled ambitions. Nothing ground breaking but I guess it depends where you are starting from.

There are a number of references to other motivational speakers and sources.
omnia  sabry
لقد ذكرت مرات عديدة أننى أحب كل الناس
ماذا ؟ كيف استطعت ادلاء بهذا التصريح الشامل ؟أضف ببساطة ، أنا أحب كل الناس حتى لا يتمكن أحد من امتلاكى ، لوكرهت شخصا ما ،
سيتملكنى هذا حقيقى سوف يستحوذ على كل افكارك فى كل مرة تفكر فيها كم هو بغيض
يستحوذ على كل المحادثات التى تجريها عندما تشتكى أمره لاصدقائك
عندما تكره شخصا سوف تصبح مثل دمية
متحركة لديه
ليس السبب الوحيد الذى يجعلنا نحب كل الناس خو الا يتحكم بنا أحد ولكنه بالتأكيد دافع فى غاية الاهمية
If followed 'Get Off Your "But"' will definitely help us to 'Get off our BUTT'
I came to understand that the BUTs that we use in our daily life are limitless.Sean Stephenson shares a great insight from this book. It's all about our 'Buts'
BUT I'm not smart..
BUT I'm busy...
BUT I'm not like that...
Our BUTs are simply excuses and lies that our fears are selling to us.
I learned valuable things like..
1.Self talk creates reality:How that little voice inside us can help us to lead a happy life.If we pa
Izarra Varela
Here's the thing about self-help books: you have to be willing to (1) admit that you don't have all the answers, and (2) accept the author as somebody whose expertise can point you toward those answers. I'm extremely good at part (1), so that's not the issue. Sean Stephenson is a charismatic author and speaker—look him up on YouTube and you'll see what I mean—but I was never sold on the idea that his perspective is relevant to my life. The "if I can do it, anyone can do it" perspective is flawed ...more
Nirmal S
A small guy with big thoughts. Quite the cliche, but if someone who didn't have the luxury of born with a functional pair of limbs has it in him to cultivate a mindset so illuminating that even his largest life issues get dwarfed by his small stature, then SO CAN YOU.
Shirley Brosius
The author offers great practical advice in this motivational treatise. An easy read, Stephenson points out how we fail to value ourselves and therefore, fail to reach our full potential. He challenges the reader to take responsibility and get off his (or her) “but”—whatever excuses are holding him back from moving forward in life.

This man deals with physical challenges and limitations on a daily basis, yet he maintains a positive attitude. He not only writes about his convictions; he lives them
Julia Doherty
What an inspirational book. I listened to the audio which was narrated by the author and I grabbed my iPhone and headphones at every available opportunity as I was keen to listen to the next chapter.

Warning, this book will make you cry, cringe, smile, think and genuinely give you belly laughs. A personal development book with a difference.

Very much based on Tony Robbins theories, so if you are a TR fan then I'd highly recommend this book. (The little stories are brilliant).
I loved this book. The mixture of personal anecdotes from the author, paired with his unique and easily applicable rules and guidelines for your life, "Get Off Your But" won me over. It was made even more appealing by the fact that the audiobook I listened to was narrated by the author himself.
Jay Michaels
Messages contained in this book include, "If you want to be happy, become an inspirational speaker like me," "If you want to date hot looking women, project an air of confidence," "We don't allow any excuses here," and the like.

The fill-in-the blank exercise ("Work is ____ )" proved helpful in opening the floodgates holding back some long-term frustrations and helping me see I've been in survival mode in the workplace for years now.

Working to reprogram your inner voice is fine if you're uncerta
Amy Hardison
This is an incredible book, but no surprise. Sean is an incredible person. This is definitely one of my favorite books of this genre. It is delightful to listen to and enlightening. Before you read it, check out Sean on the internet. It will intensify the power of the book.
J. Schmidt
There is a lot of NLP, self-help and psychology in this book to open your ideas to common self-defeating behaviours. It also shows the mindset Sean adopted that helped him excel in spite of his congenital problem.
I only gave it 4 starts as most ideas were not new to me.
I listened to this book on CD while driving so I really didn't engage in a lot of the "But" exercises. I liked the equation offered: C > E (Cause is greater than effect) so if you want good/better/different outcomes, look at the "cause" to create "happier" endings.
Medicine led me to this book ..
The author has a disease called osteogenesis imperfecta ..
His story was worth taking a look at so i ended up reading this book
It's great how someone like him with what seems to be small potentials was able to become the person he is today ..
Rick Yvanovich
I can't remember why I picked up this book but once I started it, it was impossible to put down. I can't begin to note the highlights as there are so many and I wouldn't want to spoil it, just read it !
Eslam Fouad
كتاب خفيف وجميل جداً
والكتاب فعلا ساعدني في حياتي
وكتاب مليء بالامل وحب الحياه
وانصحك بمشاهده صوره للكتاب حتى ترى حجم المعانا التي عاشها
وترى كيف تخطاها عن طريق التخلص من لكن...

استمتع بالقراءه
Choose your pit crew well. Timely advice. We are often a function of the company we keep. Enablers? Drama-lovers? Pretend supporters. Great, quick read from a seasoned and thoughtful writer.
كتاب رائع جداً لدرجة أنك بعد أن تنتهي منه ضعه في مكان بارز في مكتبتك لتراه بين الحين والآخر فيجدد الحماس فيك .
كمية من التحفيز و التخلص من هدم الذات و من "ولكن" تحصل عليها بعد إنهائك لهذا الشيء الجميل .
  • Goodbye to Shy: 85 Shybusters That Work!
  • How Successful People Lead: Taking Your Influence to the Next Level
  • The Miracle of Self-Discipline
  • Your Creative Brain: Seven Steps to Maximize Imagination, Productivity, and Innovation in Your Life
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • The Time Of Your Life
  • The Squeaky Wheel: Complaining the Right Way to Get Results, Improve Your Relationships, and Enhance Self-Esteem
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
  • The (7L) The Seven Levels of Communication: Go From Relationships to Referrals
  • Grow a Pair: How to Stop Being a Victim and Take Back Your Life, Your Business, and Your Sanity
  • Supercoach: 10 Secrets to Transform Anyone's Life
  • Time Management for a productive life
  • Return on Character: The Real Reason Leaders and Their Companies Win
  • Taking the Leap: Building a Career as a Visual Artist
  • The Generosity Factor
  • Vital Friends: The People You Can't Afford to Live Without
  • Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible: Seven Radical Principles That Will Transform Your Business
Sean Clinch Stephenson (born May 5, 1979) is an American therapist, self-help author and motivational speaker. Because he was born with osteogenesis imperfecta, Stephenson stands just three feet tall, has fragile bones, and must use a wheelchair
More about Sean Stephenson...