Start by marking “A Day with Wilbur Robinson” as Want to Read:
A Day with Wilbur Robinson

A Day with Wilbur Robinson (Dinosaur Bob)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Come meet the Robinsons:Young Wilbur has a robot.Uncle Art has his own flying saucer.Cousin Laszlo has an antigravity device.The butler is an octopus.

It's snowing in the east wing. And somebody left the Time Machine on, so . . . Well, perhaps you'd care to read what happens next.

From William Joyce, creator of the Emmy-winning Rolie Polie Olie as well as author and illustra
Published August 22nd 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Day with Wilbur Robinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Day with Wilbur Robinson

K.D. Absolutely
Jul 19, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: jzhunagev
Shelves: childrens, borrowed
A Day with Wilbur Robinson (1990) is a children’s picture book written and illustrated by William Joyce. I reviewed his earlier book Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo yesterday so this is my second book by him. I am still impressed.

However, I think what really impressed me was its movie adaptation, Meet the Robinsons (2007) that Jzhun also lent me together with the book. Had I seen only the book, I would have rated this with 2 stars (It’s okay) because the plot was so thin
jzhunagev
A Day Like No Other
(A Review of William Joyce’s A Day with Wilbur Robinson)

Few children picture books have that rare quality to equally charm and enchant youngsters as well as adult readers. William Joyce undoubtedly has it; this coming from someone who came around his second Joyce picture book and never seems to tire to read it repeatedly, for A Day with Wilbur Robinson is his best work I’ve encountered yet.

As the title makes plain, this simple plot, “a thickly disguised account of William Joy
Chak
Apr 17, 2009 Chak marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The inside jacket says "Ages 4 - reasonably ancient," so I didn't have to guess on an age range for this one. Thanks, Harper Collins! This very silly book is a great intro to crazy sci-fi for kids. The narrator goes over to Wilbur's house for a visit, and while Wilbur is bored out of his mind, his wacky family of absurdist scientists is creating novel and ridiculous things and scenarios. This book is for kids who are prompted to giggle incessantly by any sort of non-sensical mayhem. There are a ...more
Elisha Condie
We love William Joyce books at our house. This one and "Dinosaur Bob" are our favorites. This book is so cool - the narrator kid goes to spend the day at his friend William Robinson's house. The Robinsons are all super cool - Uncle Orbley has an anti-gravity machine, Grandpa conducts a frog swing band, and William's sister wears a prom dress shaped like a skyscraper with a hat that includes King Kong and airplanes.

I wish our lives looked like William Joyce's illustrations. If I had to pick whic
Kristen
I HAD NO IDEA THAT THIS WAS A BOOK BEFORE IT WAS A MOVIE!! I absolutely love the Disney movie, "Meet the Robinsons". I had no idea that it was a book before it was a movie! I thought it was a Disney creation around Disney's famous "Keep Moving Forward" tagline.

This book was so much fun. Disney did a great job pulling most of the experiences that Lewis had at the Robinson house. I loved all the funny things that happened to them. My favorite part was the dinos hanging out at the pool. The illustr
Ms. Sweeney
His art work is novel but i'm never impressed with his writing.
Zacaro Caro
This book was written by... Mad libs?
Drew Graham
(4.5?)

Wilbur Robinson has a remarkable family, and when his friend comes to visit, he gets to hang out with all of them (including the dinosaurs who arrived via time machine and the octopus butler named Lefty). Will Wilbur and his buddy be able to solve the case of grandfather's missing teeth??

It was only AFTER I finished watching Meet the Robinsons that I learned that it was based on this book (all my research for my chronological Disney source-material read-through and I didn't even bother to
Ashley Biberstine
A Not So Boring Day

Welcome to the world of the Robinson’s where games and creativity are necessary for survival! Meatball cannons, walking pet tigers, driving a spaceship, and finding grandpa’s dentures are a few of the activities during the day. In his book, A Day with Wilbur Robinson William Joyce presents an engaging tale filled with creations of the imagination within a futuristic setting.

The book starts off with the main character going to visit his friend Wilbur. The readers quickly learn
Kaethe
1997 January 1
2005

I love Joyce's style, and this is such a fun book with a perfectly crazy family.

***

The more I read his books, the more they delight me. A perfect world should have a dancing frog band, and read-alouds, and a tree big enough for people to sleep on mattresses in pairs, and a hat shaped like the Empire State Building with King Kong and an airplane on it.

Library copy.
Thebruce1314
I feel torn about this book. I enjoyed it, but it was weird<\i>! SO weird. I get that it's about imagination and play, but...there wasn't really a story, just a collection of strange happenings. The artwork, of course, is magnificent and is the book's saving grace. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm intrigued to see where Disney takes this.
Julie Misajon
The book was pretty way different from the movie. The movie was a tear-jerker especially the ending scene and i had the goosebumps when Lewis met his older version. Too bad that although the movie had positive ratings from the critics it's still commercially unsuccessful and very underrated compare to air-field "Frozen".
Roger
Julee
One of my most favorite children's books ever. William Joyce is stupendous! Disney made a movie of this earlier this year, now out on DVD called Meet the Robinsons. It's farily different -- I suppose because they needed more material for a feature-length movie.

Anyway, get the book. It's magical. Will resonate with your memories of that one friend whose house was a whirly gig adventure everytime you came over to play. Wilbur's family members are artists, inventors, scientists, musicians, magicia
Pauline
"Meet the Robinsons", a movie created by Disney, is based on this book, "A Day with Wilbur Robinson". The movie is one of my favorites, so unsurprisingly, I searched out the book it was based on.

The story is about two friends spending the day together, their chief objective being to locate grandpa's false teeth. Wilbur's relatives are full of quirks, and the search proves to be fascinating for his visiting friend.

The artwork is unquestionably worth the time it takes to read the book, but the te
Jeffrey
Jul 31, 2009 Jeffrey rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like the pictures and aren't worried about the words.
The source for the easily superior film, Meet the Robinsons.

Wait, did I write that? Hrm.. yes I did.

Anyway, the general plot of the book is a boy goes to see his friend Wilbur Robinson, and spends the day with Wilbur's eccentric family. That's about it. There's not much to the story. The prose is flat and it isn't much fun to read aloud.

The pictures, on the other hand, are spectacular. They provide an entertaining and whimsical look at an off-kilter family who all do their own thing. It's easy t
Samantha
Dec 21, 2011 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
After watching Meet The Robinsons, I was kinda curious how much actually came from the book. Most of it was the characters. Oh, those lovable, memorable characters. Wilbur, Uncles Dmitri & Spike, Lefty, Aunt Billie, Cousin Pete, Uncle Gaston, Mr. & Mrs. Robinson, Carl the Robot, Grandfather and his lost teeth, Uncle Judlow and his brain augmentor, Tallulah, Blanche, Cousin Laszlo, Mr. Ellington, Mr. Armstrong, the frog band, & Uncle Art. I love those characters!!! This book is great ...more
Patricia
Randie
A young boy spends the day with his friend, Wilbur Robinson. Wilbur's family is extraordinary and even a mundane task, such as searching for Grandfather's missing teeth, becomes a wild adventure with the Robinsons around. Our favorite scenes are the dancing frogs and shooting the meatball across the table with the canon.

I feel so lucky to have stumbled upon this book at the library. I have heard some chatter about William Joyce's creative books but I had no idea he was the mastermind behind one
Rachel
Review to follow soon.
Heidi
While creating my Books-to-Movies booklist(s), I have been learning of many movies that I did not know were originally books. Such as this one. "Meet the Robinsons" was based off of this book (as well as a tiny bit of Walt Disney's history). And the movie certainly included quite a bit of the oddball characters that are in the book. I like that the book is written. No bizarre relative gets more focus than another, making it seem like all of this is quite ordinary and unspectacular. A fun book fo ...more
Mimi
This program was a smash. The kids had a blast with it. The only reason I gave the book a 3 was because it took me a good long time to come up with activities that would go along well with it. We played Find Grandpas Teeth (I put a bunch of clip art teeth all over the room, and the kids who found the most won.) I had them each draw a picture of what their superpower or strange interest would be if they were a Robinson, and I had them match the Robinson's with their superpower (an idea I got from ...more
Mark Dewey
This was pretty good.

The only real draw-back for me was that there wasn't nearly as much plot as in the movie, Meet the Robinson's (which albeit came a significantly long time afterward). The plot is just about two kids walking around the house, meeting all the family and such, in search of the grandpa and his teeth. Nevertheless, the family is quite interesting (and it seems they're meant to be the focus), and so are their house and things.
Carolina Cruz
Short book, and BOY DID I LIKE IT!

The art was GREAT. The wacky characters give the book a light and humorous feel. It's now one of my favorite children's books.I feel as though "Meet the Robinson's" was an awesome movie, and it did well to keep true to the book, even though, it was defiantly expanded on, for the lack of plot [versus a novel, in general]. This book stands very well on its own, even before the movie. If you get a chance, read it.
Bill
Saw the film (Meet the Robinsons); had to read the book, even though it's a slim volume for young children (ages 4-8). It's easy to see why someone thought this was charming. But it also must have been a chore adding a real story to what is essentially just a collection of humorous vignettes. Apparently, there is a second edition that adds a few more scenes, but is still not exactly what is in the film. Fun!
Diana
I was disappointed with this and so was my daughter. I think it's unfair to the book though, because we couldn't help comparing it to the movie. I didn't know that Disney took this book and completely gave it an entirely new meaning. This is not a bad book, it just has the unfortunate luck of being compared to a really awesome movie.
Mark
There's not really much of a plot here... but I'd love to hang out at the Robinson house. (I was pleasantly surprised that Disney Studios managed to make a movie out of this that captured the feel of the book... it would have been so easy to miss out on the relaxed over-the-top inventive silliness.)
Hannah
I really enjoyed this book. Meet the Robinsons is one of my favourite films of all time, and this book, though a little different, really captured the spirit of fun that the film was about. I really loved reading this book, it's definitely one I'll keep for my own children when they come along.
Matthew
It was nice to read the story that Meet the Robinsons was born from. I love that movie and it's interesting to see where all the thinking for the story must have come from. The cast and plot aren't the same, but there are plenty of parallels between the two. It was a fun story in general.
movie 1 8 Jul 09, 2010 11:39AM
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • William's Doll
  • Aaaarrgghh! Spider!
  • The BFG / Matilda / George's Marvellous Medicine
  • I Will Come Back for You: A Family in Hiding During World War II
  • Where Is Home, Little Pip?
  • Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale
  • Bad Day at Riverbend
  • Jazz
William Joyce does a lot of stuff—films, apps, Olympic curling—but children’s books are his true bailiwick (The Numberlys, The Man in the Moon, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King, Toothiana, and the #1 New York Times bestselling The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which is also an Academy Award–winning short film, to name a few). He lives with his family in Shre ...more
More about William Joyce...

Dinosaur Bob (4 books)
  • Life with Bob
  • Baseball Bob
  • Dinosaur Bob Mini Book and Tape
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King The Man in the Moon (The Guardians of Childhood, #1) E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies