Start by marking “Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)” as Want to Read:
Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)

Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy #11)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  23 reviews
At first it seems like a prank. How could Veronica Landonwood be the voice on the other end of the phone when she died three decades ago? But as Arkansas bookseller and amateur sleuth Claire Malloy is about to find out, her cousin "Ronnie" is very much alive-and in trouble. And could use Claire's help…

Today, Ronnie is a renowned scientist living in Chicago. But when she wa
Published September 29th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Closely Akin to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Closely Akin to Murder

Susan
It was just a phone call from her cousin--but Claire Malloy was stunned, because Ronnie was dead, dead thirty years ago in a car accident. But Ronnie knows too much about Claire's childhood to be anyone else, and now she needs Claire's help. Ronnie had changed her identity, had a successful career, and was being blackmailed for the crime that upended her life. She has no one else to ask--will Claire go to Mexico and find out who, from that close-knit people involved in that long-ago murder, is s ...more
Alannah Davis
I truly wish I could give this more than 2 stars. I love Joan Hess, but this isn't one of her better entries in the Claire Malloy series. From the moment Claire received a call from her presumed-dead-for-30-years cousin Veronica (aka "Ronnie") asking Claire to look for a blackmailer, to Claire's traipsing blithely through Acapulco with little regard for the dangers of possible imprisonment in Mexico, I was left shaking my head. Granted, one needs to suspend belief with most cozy mysteries, but t ...more
Viana
Interesting enough. Light reading with some funny parts as one would expect from Claire Malloy and her daughter.
Charlene Gordon
Ok book. Read this in 1998.
Mascanlon
I thought I had read all of the Claire malloy mysteries as they came out! Somewhere along the way I missed this one. Claire heads to Mexcio to solve a decades old mystery concenring her dead cousin...who turns out not to be dead...or is she? So what really happened on that night so many years ago. As always Claire is knee deep in to trouble with the police and in this case the Mexican mob (way before the current drug trade wars I might add.) A fun read and a very good mystery to boot.
Ann Marie
Some good parts and at one point I thought it was going to be a quick read. But, no. I found I really didn't care much about the players. Tired of Claire putting off her handsome beau. I didn't see some things coming but pretty much had the end figured out. Out of 5 stars maybe 1 1/2
ChrisGA
great cozy with Claire and Caron investigating a cousin's involvement in a thirty year old murder. Claire travels to Acapulco and Phoenix to unravel a web of lies and false identities. Enjoyed the journey.
Daelith
I liked this one better than the last Claire Malloy I read. Lots of twists as usual but this one kept me guessing. It will be interesting to see as Caron, Claire's daughter, gets older if she will take after her mother in the 'meddling' department. She seemed to have a bit of a start in this book.
Sandy Weir
This book is partly set in Acapulco (a favorite spot of mine).. so with Claire and Caron (a favorite pair of characters), I knew it would be great! The characters are well cast into their respective roles, with good detail. Interesting conclusion (one I guessed.. the other not so much).
Lain
This book was a hot mess. I don't think I've been this overwhelmed by a plot in a long time! My head was purely whirling with the characters, changes of venue, and bumps and twirls. I really do love Claire Malloy, but this one was a skipper.
Ryan James
Hess has me chuckle at least once every other page. Her daughter Caron can be tiresome, but then when I hear American teens, I realize how accurate she could be. These are mind candy books, but I will read anything Joan Hess writes.
Helen
I love her use of language, though sometimes it signed to get in the way of telling the story. the story was too far fetched at the start and never quite resolved into something I could buy into
Mary Newcomb
Claire's cousin, long presumed dead, asks for help in unraveling a 30 year old mystery. This involves several trips and even more leaps of logic, well done Claire Malloy!
Barbara
Kindle...still sick with the flu and again, this may be influencing my feelings about the rating of this book. Made a very miserable day go by faster....
Shirley
Another Joan Hess. Getting ready to switch authors now--though I have one more home to read. Still enjoy her, however.
Jeannette
More twists and turns than the road to Telluride! A little hard to follow, but still a fun read.
Michael
Cute, fast read. Like Janet Evanovich. I will read another by Hess.
Helen
lots of twists, quite a setting change for Claire -- Acapulco
Helaine
There is always something to laugh out loud at in a Joan Hess book!
Marti
Passed on to me from Mom.
Sandi
Another mindless bon bon
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
  • Suture Self (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #17)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
  • Dead Men's Hearts (Gideon Oliver, #8)
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)
Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1) Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1) Mischief in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #2) The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2) Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)