Start by marking “Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville, #1)” as Want to Read:
Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville, #1)

Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville #1)

Never Love A Lawman delivers a thrilling tale of small town greed that may have big time consequences- unless two strangers open their hearts to a highly unconventional agreement…

Rachel Bailey may seem like just a beautiful newcomer to most of Reidsville, Colorado, but Sheriff Wyatt Cooper knows she's much more. Through a twist of fate, Rachel is the inheritor of a very va
Mass Market Paperback, 437 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Never Love A Lawman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Love A Lawman

Blacky *Romance Addict*

Well, I've just found another fav author :)

LOVE the writing. Just love it.
Oct 25, 2010 Catherine rated it it was amazing
While this book wasn't my favorite by Jo Goodman I definitely enjoyed it. I loved the interactions between the two main characters. Jo Goodman has a definite talent for making every dialogue exchange seem meaningful and filled with undercurrents. Most all of the conversations Rachel and Wyatt had seemed to be filled with sly wit and dry humor. They were muted, but definitely there.

I love how the characters are as much of a mystery to the reader as they are to each other. I enjoy watching the cha
Oct 17, 2015 Ya~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr
I really enjoy The Last Renegade, my first book from Jo Goodman. (ps: check out Jill review.) Like the Last Renegade, the best features in here are the writing style, characterization, and the slow-burn romance that may begin awkwardly ends on a delicious, heartfelt HEA.

What’s awesome in the Last Renegade and Never Love a Lawman?

5-stars charming, loyal heroes: They beat the villains not with guns and muscles, but with their intelligences.

Witty dialogue
No insta-love
Dec 01, 2009 jenjn79 rated it it was ok
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy
Rating: 2.5 / 5

This book was a total random buy for me (something I don't do much of lately). I saw it at the grocery store book section. The cover caught my eye and the synopsis sounded interesting...though the hefty thickness of the book made me a little indecisive. But I bought it...and though I won't say it was a total waste, I will say I probably wouldn't buy it again if I had to do it over.

I'm going to skip the extended summary this time because I think the one on the book page he
Mar 15, 2015 Anja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c, w-az
3.75 stars.

The first 60% of the book is spent showing the development of the romance. There was a lot of dry, witty dialogue between the hero and heroine and I was smiling all through the reading. They have tons of chemistry and I was hooked. The book was working its way into 5 star territory.

Then the focus turned toward the plot revolving around the inheritance Rachel received and the reason for her marriage to Wyatt. I felt like the pace slowed down even though I think it probably actually spe
Jul 17, 2016 Mara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has one main fault: it's boring beyond belief. But I trudged along as I had just DNFed an other of her books for the same reason. I admit I felt petty and forced myself to keep reading.

An unfortunate experience, alas. The book is boring to the bitter end. It improves maybe in the last pages, if it does. All of this highlights the clichés the author uses, above all the structure of the romance, exactly the same of some of her other books I read (view spoiler)
May 09, 2016 Keri rated it it was amazing
The byplay between Wyatt and Rachel was really fun, as two really smart people trades quips hiding the fact of just how smart they were. Antoher wonderful read and I can't wait to read the next one.
Jan 06, 2012 Misfit rated it really liked it
Rachel Bailey might think she's buried the secrets of her past in Sacramento when she moved to the small mountain town of Reidsville, Colorado, but the past comes back with a vengeance when she inherits the local railway spur and half the local mine from her former benefactor. But there's a catch, as one of the terms of the will says she has to marry Sheriff Wyatt Cooper, or it all goes back to her benefactor's grandson (and he's an evil evil baddie). Well, this being a romance and all sparks st ...more
Kim H
Sep 29, 2009 Kim H rated it liked it
While I did enjoy this story, it's not quite right. It has a decent plot & the interaction between the H&H, while it's slow getting started, heats up nicely in the second half. It's just muzzy somehow. Character development isn't very distinctive, and what internal monologue there is doesn't reveal all that much. I had to draw too many conclusions based on what's apparent from dialogue and behavior; there's not enough narrative to it & too much of the backstory is revealed through di ...more
I really enjoy the author's writing style and the romance between the two protags, thrown together in a marriage of convenience, was a delightful slow burn that really paid off. However, there were lengthy portions of the book that were boring, including an excruciatingly slow-paced beginning. A plot about a cartoonish villain who drops in on the idyllic life of H and h was so OTT and punctuated by one TSTL moment after another, that it really took away from my enjoyment. The ending ultimately u ...more
Feb 10, 2010 SheLove2Read rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, 2010
I ended up not finishing this book. Its not a bad book per se, just slow and excruciatingly "average". I finally gave up out of sheer boredom.
First, I have to mention that I have never read a book by this author before and I am not sure why. I have come across her name but, honestly, I categorized Ms. Goodman with many of the writers that first published romances in the mid-80's, someone to look at one day when I have the time. No rush, no foul.

Well, I was wrong with this POV. Maybe I just got lucky but I am going to have to look for more books by this author. NEVER LOVE A LAWMAN epitomizes what I love when I read a juicy romance.

Sandy M
Jul 26, 2011 Sandy M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Wow. I picked this book up just to skim the first few pages, and I could not put it down. I’ve not read Ms. Goodman before. Have a feeling I’ve been missing quite a number of good books. But I’m now determined to find out what it is I have been missing all this time. Any book I come across by Ms. Goodman is being promoted to the top of the TBR pile.

The first thing I have to mention in reading this story is how things are not what they seem, as evidenced by the prologue right out of the gate. I w
Apr 11, 2014 Lyuda rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
Wonderful western character driven romance with strong hero and heroine. Their chemistry is palpable, their interactions both witty and poignant. Secondary characters are well and realistically portrayed. The author has a gift of transporting you in time to the little town in Colorado at the end of 19th century. The only thing that made me lower the rating is the second part of the story went way too long.
Esta ha sido una historia rara, y a pesar de ello, me ha gustado.
Rara porque desde luego está más cerca de la ciencia ficción que de la realidad. Me ha resultado muy chocante el ambiente en el que se desarrolla, no es creíble, es demasiado imaginativo, realmente no creo que jamás haya existido una ciudad así en el Salvaje Oeste.
(view spoiler)
I liked it but I wasn't crazy about it: it was too long and too dispassionate. Jo Goodman is hit and miss for me ... I often feel like there's a barrier between me (the reader) and the plot. Not a great explanation but there it is.

Edited to add, and not to be picky, but it just occurred to me: I don't care for Houses of Ill Repute where all the ladies have hearts of gold and the madam is just as delightful as she can be. Come on. That's supposed to be realistic?
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I really liked this one (though the cover is atrocious). It's a better version of the plot she did for the second book in her Bitter Springs series, except that it's actually coherent. The beginning threw me a little, it was a little ehhhhh, but the rest of the book was adorable! And her character interactions were lovely!
Feb 28, 2010 D.L. rated it liked it
Ultimately, this book is a DNF... for now. I can see myself picking it up in the future. I enjoyed it enough while I was reading it. The problem was it constantly failed the put down/pick up test, and after a week away from the story, I seemed to be spending more time trying to remember what happened in past pages.

So while Wyatt held a lot of promise as a hero, and I have yet to learn Rachel's secret, I will remain in suspense.
Oct 05, 2014 Jm rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avec ce premier tome, nous découvrons la plume particulière de l'auteur, pleine d'humour et avec un style unique.

Jo Goodman réussit à nous dépeindre la vie tranquille dans une petite ville minière du Colorado et on est vite happés dans son récit. Mais elle a aussi une façon bien à elle de nous présenter ses personnages. On ressent comme une distance entre eux et nous. L'histoire est excellente, l'intrigue bien menée et les personnages intéressants, mais, comparés à d'autres romances, on met beau
May 21, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
This was my introduction to Jo Goodman and I am hooked! I've read four of her books so far and haven't been diappointed. Her plots, characterization, and prose are all flawless and effortless, but dialogue is her greatest strength. I love the way she lets her characters get to know each other through conversation. She often has me laughing out loud from their wit and intelligence. The women are strong and the men tender, but she makes both qualities seem fresh and intrinsic rather than cliched o ...more
Jun 02, 2014 Blackjack rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Never Love a Lawman, Jo Goodman (B+) - Another solid one from probably my most consistent "comfort"-reading author. As with most Goodman novels, I enjoyed the steady and reliable hero and the prickly heroine who has hidden reasons for her reserve. Wyatt is nicely attuned to Rachel's feelings and is often displayed as a strategic player in their relationship, which is fun to witness. I like heroes that work hard for their romance, and Goodman almost never fails in this respect.

I did have some min
4.5. Jo Goodman has an incredible way of hooking the reader into her stories, with wonderfully detailed observations about her protagonists and a great holistic sense of how these characters were meant to be, allowing them to appear so vividly in the reader's mind. Each word, each mannerism observed was consistent for the character and the developing storyline. She seems to have such great understanding of human behaviour and psyche.

The story is of a private, but well respected young seamstress
Nov 28, 2010 Kaetrin rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
From my blog 28/11/10:

I really like Jo Goodman's books - I bought this one shortly after it came out but for some reason, it languished on my TBR until recently. Marry Me, Reidsville #2 is just out and it's winging its way to me as I write. I thought I'd better read book 1 first. The only other Jo Goodman books I've read have been mainly set in England and I haven't read a lot of historical Westerns so that's maybe why it took me so long.

What it's about: The book starts off with a mysterious pro
Sep 09, 2012 Hilcia rated it really liked it
Never Love a Lawman is set in the small mining town of Reidsville, Colorado and the events take place in 1882. A spur of the California & Colorado Railroad Company (the C&C) is the only thing keeping it from becoming a ghost town. Those short railway miles linking Denver to Reidsville give the miners and townspeople access to goods. In turn they use the railway as a fast and efficient way to transport their gold and silver.

Clinton Maddox, owner of the C&C and a partner with interest
TBR Reading Challenge 2011- April category: Western

3.5* I wavered whether to round up or down on this one. Goodman is an excellent writer in many ways, and she's obviously done her research on life in the American west in the 19th century. The writing is clear and well-balanced, and the descriptions full of details of everyday life. That detail is both a positive and a negative, depending on the reader. Or, in my case, depending on the part of the story being detailed. At times it was enjoyable
Jill Dunlop
Jun 10, 2010 Jill Dunlop rated it really liked it
Rachel Bailey escapes to the small mining town of Reidsville, Colorado to carve out a new life for herself. She mainly keeps to herself designing and sewing clothes for the town inhabitants. Through the plans of a generous, yet manipulative man she becomes the proud owner of a stretch of railroad and a silver mine. The catch is that she must marry the town Sheriff in order to inherit the property. Rachael is between a rock and a hard place because the town is dependent upon the mine and the rail ...more
Jul 16, 2015 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: westerns
Really a 2.25, honestly I'm surprised this series had a 2nd book. The first is not even all that great at table setting, missed the mark by a lot. BUT because I had read and enjoyed the second book I pushed forward.

The second book Marry Me set the hook early and kept reeling me in. Definitely a much better book. Bypass this one and read the second.
In my early romance reading days I was all western all the time, but I slowly drifted away from my roots to the more glamorous worlds of regency and contemorary. Authors like Jo Goodman are starting to bring me back and and I remember why I love it - the no-nonsense, practical heroines, rugged cowboys with their "ma'am's", the life or death situations, the gorgeous scenery. I mean really, you just can't go wrong. Never Love a Lawman was a wonderful read. It is very dense - and by that I mean the ...more
(3,5 étoiles). Je suis , j'ai été ravie de pouvoir enfin me plonger dans une romance au doux air de Western. J'avoue que ça m'avait manqué. Dans l'ensemble, l'histoire est assez sympa mais j'avoue avoir accroché moyennement aux personnages. Rachel et Wyatt m'ont un peu laissée de marbre malgré une histoire, sans être transcendante, qui était plutôt bien menée.

• Without Words
  • Conor's Way
  • The Gunslinger's Untamed Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Leah and the Bounty Hunter (Men of Defiance, #3)
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Texas Blue (Whispering Mountain, #5)
  • Her Hesitant Heart
  • Joe's Wife
  • The Bridal Veil
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
To find characters to illustrate my first family saga, I cut out models from the Sears catalogue. I was in fourth grade, but it was a start. In seventh grade I wrote a melodrama about two orphan sisters, one of whom was pregnant. There was also a story about a runaway girl with the unlikely name of Strawberry and one about mistaken identities and an evil blind date. My supportive, but vaguely conc ...more
More about Jo Goodman...

Reidsville (2 books)
  • Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)

“She hesitated. “I’m not sure I understand.”
“Don’t you?” he asked. “You changed my heart, Rachel.”
She felt her throat constrict, making any reply impossible.
“Rachel?” Her silence rarely made him uncomfortable, but this time he had no clear view of her features and no way to gauge her reaction. He wondered if he should have made a more straightforward declaration. “Did you hear me say I love you?”
She turned her cheek into his shoulder. “I heard you.”