Start by marking “All the News Unfit to Print: How Things Were... and How They Were Reported” as Want to Read:
All the News Unfit to Print: How Things Were... and How They Were Reported

All the News Unfit to Print: How Things Were... and How They Were Reported

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
You really can't believe everything you read . . .A premature newswire report announces the end of World War I, spurring wild celebrations in American streets days before the actual treaty was signed. A St. Louis newspaper prints reviews of theatrical performances that never took place—they had been canceled due to bad weather. New York newspaper reporters plant evidence i ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Wiley (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about All the News Unfit to Print, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the News Unfit to Print

Mark Chadwick
Feb 02, 2014 Mark Chadwick rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dermott Carr
Recommended to Mark by: R. Frank Kelly
Another enjoyable read that I finished last week. I can usually read anywhere between 3-5 books at the same time. Usually a mix of fix and non-fiction. I might have a biography going, a mystery, a book about Baseball, a book about music etc so it is not uncommon for me to finish more than one book in a week, especially since I have been reading all of them for a while. That is just how I roll.

I did enjoy this book which presents a series of historical looks at the days when journalists did not
Liz
Aug 25, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
The information in the book was really interesting, especially how William Randolph Hearst helped to start the Spanish-American War and how Samuel Johnson made up years of Parliament reports. The writing felt a bit choppy, especially the transitions. Many felt like he was reaching to make connections instead of just starting a new idea.
Chris Elkjar
Jan 28, 2014 Chris Elkjar rated it really liked it
Entertaining and all encompassing look at the highs and lows of journalistic integrity since the origination of the concept of "news". This is a really easy to read collection of amusing stories.

This book spans from the 1600s up to the current generation of tabloid rags and reality television. Turns out the good old days were pretty filthy as well.
Daniel DeLappe
Jul 28, 2009 Daniel DeLappe rated it it was amazing
I have read two of Mr Burns book. This one is much beter then the first. In the last paragraph of this book he comes up with the idea for his next book. Anyone into privacy (what we have and don't) should be a great read.
Paul Ditroia
Dec 23, 2011 Paul Ditroia rated it it was ok
He writes with a certain sense of grandiose urgency as if to say,"Hey! I have something very important to tell you.". I found the book to be pompous and not particularly well written.
Jim
Jun 01, 2009 Jim marked it as to-read
burns is a reporter for Fox News so anything he writes should be taken w/a beach of sand, but having just watched him on CSPAN/BookTV this sounds legit and interesting.
Kathy Wojo
Kathy Wojo marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Apex157x
Apex157x marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jennifer Hill
Jennifer Hill marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Phil Bova
Phil Bova marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Brian S. Wise
Brian S. Wise marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Evan R.
Evan R. marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Michael R.
Michael R. is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2015
Tracy Speakman
Tracy Speakman marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Jim
Jim added it
Sep 17, 2015
Taylor Tompkins
Taylor Tompkins marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Kara Ryan
Kara Ryan marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Eileen Sheehan
Eileen Sheehan rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Samira Parsa
Samira Parsa marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Michael Grider
Michael Grider marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Dee Miller
Dee Miller rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Park Minhyuck
Park Minhyuck rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Amie Adrian
Amie Adrian rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Eric Burns is an American media critic and journalist. He began his career as a correspondent for NBC News where he appeared regularly on NBC Nightly News and on the Today show.

Burns has written five critically-acclaimed books and continues to work in television. He has worked as a commentator for Entertainment Tonight, host of Arts & Entertainment Revue on A&E, and is the former host of F
More about Eric Burns...