Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426

Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426 (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #34)

The Doctor battles the Sontarans, in the latest novel in the bestselling Doctor Who range
Published September 3rd 2009 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Ty
May 02, 2013 Ty rated it liked it
Reading "Taking of 426" is like drinking a cola. You pop the top and slightly hesitate as you remember hearing not-so-great things about how drinking cola is bad for you and gets worse and worser over time the more you do and do it. Yet, for whatever reason, when you sip the would-be contraband you find the sluice of sticky sweet suds is suddenly refreshing. Your sip becomes a gulp and as you finish. And, as you finish, you offer yourself a promise: No more colas... Well, at least not until the ...more
Matt
Sep 04, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
Having previously read David Llewellyn's other Doctor Who novel, Night of the Humans, I had a pretty good idea that I was going to enjoy The Taking of Chelsea 426, at least a little bit. Luckily, I was correct, as I really enjoyed the novel despite its frankly groan worthy title.

Both of Llewellyn's Doctor Who novels have their figurative feet firmly planted in old pulp sci-fi paperbacks-- the kind you would get off of a spinner rack for a quarter if you are old enough to remember that sort of th
Michael
Listening to The Taking of Chelsea 426 on audio, I couldn't help but miss the "good old days" of the Target novels or the Virgin New Adventures series. It's not I dislike the BBC books, but I keep finding they pale a bit in comparison as tie-in novels.

Of course, I also have to remind myself the Virgin novels were written during the bleak time when we didn't have new Doctor Who on our screens on a regular basis.

Chelsea 426 is your basic base under siege story from the Troughton era told as a sto
Sara
Jul 05, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, fiction
I enjoyed this book-- there wasn't anything wrong with it, but I can't say there was anything great about it either. I guess the Sontarans are amusing. I liked the little glimpse of the Doctor's thoughts about taking on a new companion. The idea that the colony was meant to mimic 1950s England seemed a bit lazy. If I had the chance to write a Doctor Who novel I'd make up a truly alien or futuristic human society!
Brittany
May 10, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I am so excited to have discovered these books! I have been mourning the loss of David Tennant as the Doctor and this is just what I needed. What a wonderful surprise! The author really captures David's take on the character and makes the story work. It's just like watching an episode only you get to take your time with it(if you can!).
Tammy
Jan 20, 2010 Tammy rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
The book was okay, but I'd rather watch an episode of Doctor Who than read about one -- in this case.
Shannon
Aug 03, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok
My least favourite so far. Nothing particularly against it but still...
Matthew
Nov 21, 2016 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was about the tenth doctor, who was on a space colony floating on Saturn.
Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews
This Doctor Who book was not so original in its storyline, but it gets brownie points for still making it exciting. Seriously, I should some day count how many stories have alien possession in them. However, in this case while it was a major part of the story, it wasn't the only thing going on.

The appearance of the Sontarans was a surprise, since I didn't read the synopsis. It added an interesting twist to the story. Some central characters were Sontarans, and they weren't portrayed in a complet
Jimmy
Feb 28, 2016 Jimmy rated it liked it
With an open mind and mediocre expectations, this is the first of the Doctor Who TV series books I’ve read. And I’m happily surprised to find that I like them. Actually, I like them a lot. I find that they are perfect for filling the excruciating long periods of time in between seasons, in addition to enjoying watching the previous seasons on DVD over and over.
The Sontarans are not one of my favorite aliens from the TV series, but I have to admit the weakness in the back of the neck is hilarious
April Duclos
This audiobook is a roller coaster of interesting (though by no means original) plot and slogs through boring and highly repetitive moments (think: the Doctor introducing himself. Endlessly. At least a dozen times...). So it passed 5 hours or so but definitely wasn't something I hated to pause or stop listening to.

(view spoiler)
This reading/listening was probably not enhanced by the Christmas holiday hiatus. However, even without that it wouldn't have been one of the better Doctor Who novels - nor was it one of the worst.

The setting was perhaps more sci-fi than usual - an earth colony, Chelsea 426, on one of the moons of Saturn. David Llewellyn creates something reminiscent of Fawlty Towers in his Grand Hotel, with the addition of two teenagers unhappily uprooted as part of their parents' (and others') retreat from Mod
Jim C
Jul 17, 2016 Jim C rated it really liked it
Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

A book based on the television series. This one features the Tenth Doctor who is flying solo. He does pick up a set of ten year old twins to help him on this adventure. The Doctor lands on a colony of Saturn and this colony is hosting a huge flower show. If you know anything about this universe you know there is more to this show.

This book did exactly what it is meant to do. It entertained me and I was able to spend some more time with a beloved character. I believe th
Nov 24, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
This book differs from the majority of those in the Doctor Who series in that it is one of the few that features the Doctor by himself, without a companion. This makes the dynamics of the book quite different.
I quite liked the twins, Vienna and Jake, and they were integral to the plot, taking the place of the companion. (view spoiler)
Kevin
May 13, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it
Not to give away any SPORElers, but the whole alien plant consciousness concept should have been tossed into the compost pile long before this book was complete. As enemy plots go, the "Rutan Host" thing left me wanting more.

It isn't the first story of aliens that taking over people as their hosts and overriding their consciousness, but this was by far my least favorite method.

Also, I have never been a fan of Sontarans... Like the Daleks, they have a clear purpose in life and their stick with it
Meagan
Jan 10, 2010 Meagan rated it really liked it
Nicholas Whyte
Aug 27, 2012 Nicholas Whyte rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, doctor, who, xn, 1205, 10th
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1931209.html[return][return]On the positive side, it's got some interesting political points to make about society and propaganda and media, and conformity vs imdividualism. On the negative side, there are some very old-fashioned gender stereotypes among the human characters, the Sontarans and even more the Rutans are taken in a direction that isn't awfully consistent with what else we know about them, and the physics of locating a human colony on the surface of the ...more
Caroline
Browsing the science fiction aisle at my local public library makes me wish I were wearing a hat and dark glasses. Instead I walk out with this, hidden under a posh Everyman's Library edition of Asimov's Foundation trilogy. But which do I read first? Of course.

Scout's honor, this is the first TV-book I've ever read. Pretty silly and at times gratingly reliant on catch phrases and other bits of cheese and fluff. I wonder if it's the quality of the writing or simply the fact that there are no acto
CatBookMom
Interesting premise, and a different take on the Sontarans, somewhat better than most, in fact. Loved the kids - very bright, and the Doctor actually acknowledged their help with things he didn't know. How often does that happen?

Didn't greatly like the narrator, though he did a good job; just didn't find that his voice/phrasing, etc for the Doctor was as good as it could have been. But part of that is just his voice. He gets 3 stars, the story 3+.
Daniel Kukwa
Nov 28, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
A bit too much plot, not enough emotion...and the pseudo-cruise ship/Titanic/Poseidon Adventure is distracting. All that aside, the Sontarans are expertly handled...and any book that pauses in the middle for a hand-to-hand tribal battle between Sontaran commanders is worthy of my time. The idea of an inter-galactic flower show is also very "Doctor Who", though it starts taking itself far too seriously after a while.
Jacquelyn
Dec 02, 2012 Jacquelyn rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Compared to the last Doctor Who book I read, The Taking of Chelsea 426 was literary gold. The Doctor's character was the main character and captured his personality perfectly. The premise was interesting and I kind of love those squidgy Sontarans. It felt familiar though, like I'd recently read or seen something with a similar story.

Still, it was a delicious truffle to curb my DW fix until the Christmas special.
Kati
Mar 08, 2015 Kati rated it did not like it
My least favorite Doctor Who book yet. Half-way through, I dropped it because I felt like simply blowing up the colony myself. Every single one of the original characters was unlikable, unsympathetic or downright sleazy and the story itself simply ran in circles like a headless chicken. Doctor: It's the aliens! Original character: No! You're mistaken *laughing idiotically while giant flowers spew dust and potato-head clones in armor run around killing people* Good grief! Ueber-stupidity!
Peter
Jan 24, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it
Molto Bene! Loved it, the only thing I disliked about this book was the fact that some of the characters 'seemed' smarter than the Doctor. The Doctor, a cornucopia of knowledge, doesn't in fact know something? Preposterous. Although I liked the ending, sort of like Star Trek: The Original Series' 'A Trouble with Tribbles' ending(but I digress). Hilarious and definitely recommended for a lover of Doctor Who.
William Cameron
Mar 05, 2012 William Cameron rated it liked it
Pretty breezy Dr. Who romp. Quick read (for the most part). OK story. I've noticed a bad trend in the books lately where they are stereotypicizing (its a word damnit!) a lot of Tennents actions, from the 'brainy specs' to the Allons-y. Its getting to the point where I cringe when they happen on a page. But other than that, Interesting take on the Sontarans.
Measi
Aug 03, 2010 Measi rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
One of the better recent Who books that I've read. I enjoyed some of the subtle nods to RTD's need to put random background characters in the middle of the action (something I've missed in S5). There's some good character development here, and a story within a story that's also interesting and compelling about the Chelsea 426 colony.
Syrdarya
Hannah Brown
Dec 07, 2013 Hannah Brown rated it it was amazing
I always love Doctor Who BBC books, and this was no exception. Although I missed the companions, the idea was inventive, and I loved how the kids (Jake and Vienna) were so involved, and actually made a difference. Really great book. And although sometimes it seemed like the Doctor wasn't really the Tenth Doctor, it was still good.
Angela
Aug 09, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
The Doctor arrives on a Saturn colony in time for a flower show. The Rutans are attacking and the Sontarans are attacking the Rutans. The Doctor is companionless, and this is set after Martha so he's still slightly light hearted. It's a fun plot, my only issue was the annoying teenagers that became his helpers. I liked the Sontarans and thought they were well portrayed. A good read.
Gayle
Jan 12, 2011 Gayle rated it really liked it
Laura de Leon
Mar 28, 2011 Laura de Leon rated it liked it
Doctor Who doesn't translate well to audiobook for me, it seems. I suspect if I'd ripped through the printed version, I would have enjoyed it more, but 5 hours was too much time spent on a story that didn't have enough going for it.

It was still fun, but not an experience I'll hurry to repeat.
  • Doctor Who: The Krillitane Storm
  • Doctor Who: Judgement of the Judoon
  • Doctor Who: The Slitheen Excursion
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: Martha in the Mirror (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: Ghosts of India
  • Doctor Who: Wishing Well
  • Doctor Who: Wooden Heart
  • Doctor Who: The Doctor Trap
  • Doctor Who: The Way Through the Woods
David Llewellyn is a Welsh novelist and script writer. He grew up in Pontypool and graduated from Dartington College of Arts in 2000. His first novel, Eleven, was published by Seren Press in 2006. His second, Trace Memory, a spin-off from the BBC drama series Torchwood, was published in March 2008. Everything Is Sinister was published by Seren in May 2008. He has written two novels for the Doctor ...more
More about David Llewellyn...

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man