Start by marking “The Well-Wishers” as Want to Read:
The Well-Wishers

The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic #6)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,512 ratings  ·  37 reviews
James, Laura, and Deborah along with their friends Kip, Lydia, and Gordy relate their experiences when the unpredictable old wishing well in the backyard continues to involve them in a variety of magical adventures.
Published August 16th 1999 by Turtleback Books (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Well-Wishers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well-Wishers

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMatilda by Roald DahlThe BFG by Roald DahlSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Magical children's books
240th out of 308 books — 122 voters
Fimbulwinter by E. William BrownChampion for Hire by John Van StryInto The Abyss by J.L. LanglandThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisBlack Coven by E. William Brown
Displaced To A Different Time Or World
223rd out of 352 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

So I am beginning this story, and after that each one will tell what happened to him or her, as the case may be, and each one will tell it in his own way. Only we have made one rule, which is not to tell about the days when nothing happened, because who would want to read about them? And another rule is not to put in things that don't mean anything and are just there to try to make it more exciting. Like saying, "There I stood, my heart beating." Naturally your heart would be beating. Otherwise

The Well-Wishers is the second part of the previous Tales of Magic book, Magic or Not?, which includes the same children we have come to adore! James, Kip, Laura, Lydia, and Gordy are back with new adventures!

I thought it was interesting how this book was written. It reminds me a lot of the first book in which each child has their own chapter in the book and explains all about their adventure. I really like that it was in first-person because I feel like that
Awesome, as usual. This and Magic or Not? are probably my favourite in the series. There's that chill you get when the coincidences stack up and you debate with yourself whether there was magic or not? Plus the old world charm is, well, perfectly charming.

Unfortunately, James, Kip and Laura were hardly in the this book. However, I enjoyed Gordy and Dicky's growing-up, and love Lydia to bits, so it was alright. Surprisingly, there was no mention of Deborah's strange low voice, and she seems alm
Anastasia (Here There Be Books)
Originally posted at Here There Be Books on June 24, 2013.

Guess what The Well-Wishers is! It is the sequel to Magic or Not! AND I REALLY LOVE IT.

It's kind of the perfect sequel: similar enough to Magic or Not to give me the warm squishy feelings of reading a really awesome book, but different enough so it's not just the same story over again.

For example! It's written in first person POV, and each kid gets their own chapter to tell their part of the story. The great thing is that they all sound
(This is the same as my review of Magic or Not)

Edward Eager was one of my favorite authors when I was a child. However, I only read Magic or Not and its sequel, The Well Wishers once or twice. (The others I read countless times!)

What I liked about Eager's other books was that magical adventures befell ordinary children living in ordinary neighborhoods in the United States. But in Magic or Not the very existence of magic is very ambiguous. In fact, the characters themselves aren't sure whether th
It was pretty good. It taught about believing in something even when you don't believe in yourself.
It taught about sticking together and finding a positive solution in each negative situation.
It taught that something as simple as a water well could represent a creative sign to send magical wishes that could teach a powerful lesson.Sometimes it just takes a little team work and ideas from your heart to make something special happen. Sometimes you need to not judge a book by it's cover and give a
As I said in my review of Magic or Not?, this is my least favorite duo in the series. And The Well-Wishers is definitely my least favorite of the books overall. I previously thought the whole series deserved 5 stars but after re-reading this one, it's definitely nowhere near the others so I can't give it that honor.

I think the first-person perspective is a big part of the problem — the kids in the previous books had flaws, and that was okay, but reading everything from each kid's perspective, w
This book was pretty good, but not nearly as entertaining as Edward Eager's book Half Magic. This book isn't on the AR reading list, but I would place it around 6.7 or 7.0. Half Magic is 5.0 on the AR reading list, and is a very fun book about a charm some children find that only grants half of what you wish. There are all sorts of sticky situations that arise from it. The Well-Wishers is about some children who believe they can make wishes on a well in their neighborhood. In the well-wishers, y ...more
Once again, Eager has done a great job of portraying some very realistic kids, both in how they act and in how they think. This was a nice story about kids doing nice things for other people. James was certainly amusing as a character, especially as he thought himself a man at the end of the book. Eager does a good job of providing an entertaining story as well as things for grown-ups to chuckle at.

Rating: G.

So it took me some thinking to understand what was different about
WHAT I LEARNED FROM THIZ BOOK IS #1 THAT THEY LIKE TO WISH ALOT #2 IS THAT WHEN THEY USE IT SOMETIMES IT DONT WORK BECAUSE THEY SAY THE WELL DOESNT WORK. #3 IS THAT THEY HATE WAITING FOR THERE WISH BECAUSE IT TAKES SO LONG THAT THEY KEEP PUTING MORE WISHES IN IT. THATS ALL I GOT 4 NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#4 my review from thiz book is that gordy threatens the old well, telling it to get going with its magic or eles!and that seems to do the trick. suddenly laura, lydia, james,and kip- who feared ...more
This book is a pass-on book where one person starts, then another person does the next chapter...
It is about a well that ran out of magic... or did it?
Eager got experimental with this one and had the children tell the story themselves in parts. A fun follow up to 'Magic or not?'.
Kotoh Wattana
Not as good as the last, I'm afraid, although I'd completely forgotten the character of Dicky and was delighted to rediscover him. It's just that now that I'm not a kid anymore, I know the world isn't righted quite so easily as the children manage to do it.

...Also I've since become a fanficcer, and want someone to write them all grown up and having semi-magical adventures. :)
I really like this series so far. It's a bit outdated, but the themes in this one are very relevant to this day. What I particularly liked about this book was the fact that rather than an extravagant magical adventure, these children see magic as the opportunities that they are given to help people, making the story's problems and solutions relatable for children who read it.
The "Well Wishers",( in contrast to "Magic or Not") is written first person from the point of view of multiple characters. This gives it an almost unbearably precious tone. Really the only thing I can say I like about this book was the discovery and reclamation of an abandoned house. I do like the idea of a fixer-upper. Otherwise, this book is not a keeper.
Edward Eager's books are classics, and some of my very favorites from childhood. The illustrations by N.M. Bodeker were a huge influence on me, and I loved the stories (you think Harry Potter is original? Hardly). These are excellent books, published mid-century, that build on a foundation laid decades earlier by masters like E. Nesbit.
Jul 03, 2008 Brittany rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone 10 and younger
Recommended to Brittany by: my mom
Well, I read this with my brother. They are good books, but I wish I read them in like 5th grade. They were a little childish. Darren on the other hand, loved them!!! I do own this book. I would be willing to swap it, not sell it!!!
Nov 26, 2007 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young children
Ah, much more satisfying than Magic of Not? (this is a sequel). I loved the civil rights issue that was part of one adventure in this book (published in 1960 - I can remember well the era it was describing). Fun, fun, fun.
I do love these books, but they were written more than 50 years ago. I'm reading them out loud to my son, and I find myself skipping over terms that are repeated over and over, like "old lady," and replacing them...
Jul 06, 2012 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Andrew Clements
Like Magic or Not?, this one hinges on friendship and doing good turns rather than the time-travel-and-exotic-locale adventures that comprise other Edward Eager books, and is better for it.
The first time I read this was to my daughter a couple years back. She liked the series a great deal. I would say its definitely written for kids, and appropriate for any age.
Sep 13, 2007 Chicklet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Edward Eager fans
Shelves: classics, fantasy
This is my second to least favorite Eager book. If you've read Magic or Not? It's like that, only a little better.
Just hang on! The last Eager book is one of the best.
A very poor book. The method of story-telling was interesting with the story flipping between different points of view, but the overall plot was dull and boring.
A must read to yourself, your kids, your friends kids, anyone especially if they like magic!
This one actually surprised me by being very sweet and touching especially towards the end.
I also read this as a child, about 1963. I love all of Edgar Eager's children's books.
This book is really great. I think it has more adventure than Magic or Not.
Vecchio Book Club: The Well Wishers 1 1 Aug 16, 2012 04:45PM
  • The Magic City
  • The River at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #3)
  • The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2)
  • The Witch Family
  • Second-hand Magic
  • Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2)
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
  • The Little Book Room
  • The Cat Who Wished to Be a Man
Eager was born in and grew up in Toledo, Ohio and attended Harvard University class of 1935. After graduation, he moved to New York City, where he lived for 14 years before moving to Connecticut. He married Jane Eberly in 1938 and they had a son, Fritz.

Eager was a childhood fan of L. Frank Baum's Oz series, and started writing children's books when he could not find stories he wanted to read to h
More about Edward Eager...

Tales of Magic (7 books)
  • Half Magic (Tales of Magic, #1)
  • Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
Half Magic (Tales of Magic, #1) Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2) Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7) Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3) The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)