Start by marking “Hetty Feather” as Want to Read:
Hetty Feather

Hetty Feather (Hetty Feather #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  4,443 Ratings  ·  316 Reviews
London, 1876 and Hetty Feather is just a tiny baby when her mother leaves her at the Foundling Hospital. The Hospital cares for abandoned children - but Hetty must first live with a foster family until she is big enough to go to school.

Life in the countryside is hard but with her 'brothers' Jem and Gideon, she helps in the fields and plays imaginary games. Together they sn
Published October 8th 2009 by Doubleday Childrens (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hetty Feather, please sign up.

Pearla This book is about a young girl who is sent to live in a foundling hospital!

Michael
Oct 13, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
This is an excellent read set in Victorian times. The story is written in the first person and is like an autobiography of the first 11 years of Hetty Feather's life. As a new born baby, Hetty is left at the gates of the Foundling Hospital by her mother. After a short time in the care of the hospital Hetty is sent to live with her foster family or also known as a 'wet nurse' in those times.

In the first few chapters we follow Hetty as a baby and then toddler, living an adventurous life in the cou
Germaine Yuen
Nov 21, 2010 Germaine Yuen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book from beginning to end. I found it really sad at the beginning because she gets abandoned when she was young. I thought her mother was really cruel, but the end changed my mind. Her mother had Hetty when she was young and her father left Hetty's mother. So, Hetty'smother was left to scrape for money,when she couldn't stand it anymore, she sent Hetty to the Foundling's Hospital. Before she could live in the Foundling Hospital all the time, she had to live in a Foster home. Her fos ...more
Mikayla
Jul 24, 2015 Mikayla rated it it was amazing
This was as good as everything else I've read by Jacqueline Wilson. I will definitely be reading the next book.
Hannah
May 12, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
NEVER ABLE TO PUT THIS ONE DOWN
Julia Draycott
Dec 07, 2012 Julia Draycott rated it it was amazing
I think this book is amazing because its big and very well thought of. As well I think its good because every time there's a chapter and I have to stop I always ,always want to read more. Lots more.

What a lovely long book.
Becky
Feb 11, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
I was out on the Mobile Library Van the other day and finished the book I was reading. Not wanting to sit through my lunch with nothing else to read I scanned the shelves, after reading Lily Alone last week and talking to a girl at my Diving group, i remembered her saying how good this one was and worth a read, so I decided to give it a go. It's been years since reading Wilson, but now I've read 2 in one month. Must be regressing back to my childhood.
The cover of this book also attracted me, i l
Little Star ( Fiza)
Feb 21, 2014 Little Star ( Fiza) rated it it was amazing
I thought that Hetty Feather was amazing! She had loads of different adventures in her life and had to find her mother. Her real mother is just in the foundling hospital! At first Hetty thought that her real mother was Madame Adeline,a woman that acts in a circus, because she has red hair just like Hetty's fiery red hair. She finds out the truth. Madame Adeline is really not her real mother. She gets really upset but after finding out her real mother is just in the foundling hospital, Hetty's re ...more
Rimsha
Feb 22, 2014 Rimsha rated it it was amazing
Hetty Feather is amazing! I've also read Sapphire Battersea, which is even more amazing. Jacqueline Wilson's books are awesome and I recommend children and teenagers to read them. Can't wait to read Emerald Star! :-)
Hermione
Aug 03, 2014 Hermione rated it really liked it
I likes this book very much, the way it was written created an appropriate atmosphere. It's also absorbing, and the storyline is good.
Rosie
Feb 11, 2011 Rosie rated it really liked it
A great read, one of those books that you can curl up with and read for hours on end!
Abby
Apr 08, 2014 Abby rated it it was amazing
I liked Hetty Feather. It was an enjoyable book and I am currently reading Sapphire Battered. Good read!!
Alex Peachman
Feb 02, 2017 Alex Peachman rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. So much happens in it and there are some great characters and surprises. It is all told through Hetty's voice and is very easy to read - more like someone talking to you than actually reading!
thehalcyondaysofsummer
Jun 25, 2017 thehalcyondaysofsummer rated it really liked it
Opening line: 'My name is Hetty Feather.'
Poppy
I have been in such a terrible slump recently that has been painful to get out of. Hetty Feather has been on my tbr for a long time, since visiting the Foundling Museum last year. I was instantly drawn to this novel, encompassing a piece of history I'm interested to learn more about, and written by one of my favourite childhood authors. All in all, it was an enjoyable novel. However I'm not taking it as any kind of truth on what life in the Foundling Hospital was like. Naturally Wilson would emb ...more
Ira Book Lover
Apr 11, 2012 Ira Book Lover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buku-jalan-jalan
"Tapi bisakah kau memberitahuku satu hal lagi. Apakah kau menamai ketika aku lahir?"

"Aku memanggilmu dengan nama kesayangan yang indah, Sapphire, karena matamu biru sekali."

"Ya Tuhan, aku mengkhayalkan itu! Aku tahu ibu kandungku pasti akan memilihkan nama yang indah untukku!...aku berharap menjadi penulis suatu hari nanti dan menerbitkan cerita-ceritaku - lalu aku akan menggunakan Sapphire sebagai nama penaku...

"Kita akan meninggalkan panti asuhan ini bersama-sama ketika aku sudah cukup dewasa,
Imas
Apr 01, 2012 Imas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Akankah Hetty berhasil menemukan ibunya? Demikian pertanyaan yang ada di cover buku ini. Karena Hetty Feather adalah seorang anak yatim piatu disebuah panti asuhan “Foundling Hospital”. Hetty tidak menyukai namanya, dia yakin dia punya nama indah yang diberikan ibunya saat lahir . Hetty lahir pada tahun 1876 pada masa Ratu Victoria di kerajaan Inggris. Hetty sangat terobsesi menemukan ibunya, dengan khayalan dan imaginasi untuk melupakan kedukaan dan kesengsaraannya sebagai anak yatim piatu. Bag ...more
Julie
Mar 26, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
This is a story about a young red-haired orphan, Hetty Feather, who is placed in a family for a year or so, until she grows up a bit. You could say that shes happy in that family, she doesnt know what orphanage means yet. She has many adopted siblings, and one of them, Jem, is very friendly to Hetty, and hes always planning their future together, they get into many mischiefs together...and once they visit a circus. Hetty is fascinated by Madam Adeline, a lady who does all sorts of tricks on hors ...more
Jun 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have come across this book on my final PGCE placement. It is being used in my Year 5 class as the literacy focus text. The children are reading it as a class and all grammar and writing tasks are coming out of the book. It follows the early life of Victorian orphan Hetty Feather as a baby in the Foundling Hospital, through her early years in her foster home, her later return to the Foundling Hospital, and all her adventures in between.

I must confess that I had not read a Jacqueline Wilson book
Selina
Apr 05, 2016 Selina added it
Jonathan Peto
Dec 14, 2016 Jonathan Peto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a series. (I read Little Stars to my daughter first. We loved it, realized the series existed, and here we are. Little Stars referred to some characters and events here, which was not a problem. We enjoyed being on the look-out for those things.)

Overall, I was not as enamored. Hetty is young here though (baby to, I think, around 10 or 12) and in less control of her life. She is also not quite the same feisty girl here as she is by the events in Little Stars, though that
Nicolle
Jul 22, 2013 Nicolle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another fabulous tale from Jacqueline Wilson. I received this through good reads first reads, what a great win! Once I started this I couldn't stop reading as the plot was ever changing and developing at a rapid pace. Add to this an endearing character - Hetty Feather - with her fiery personality, flaming red hair, and childish charm; a wonderful recipe for adventure.

It is such a crazy coincidence that I had never heard of the horrific foundling hospitals until a few weeks ago whilst studyi
Kezia Olive
Apr 17, 2012 Kezia Olive rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
Saya hampir gila baca buku ini. Awalnya menyangka kisahnya bakal ringan dan menyenangkan kaya Cookie, dan pasti penuh kebahagiaan dan keindahan.. Dan akhirnya terpaksa harus shock dan berkali-kali mencucurkan airmata.

No,no. The story is ok. It's great!! It's awesome. Really awesome. Jadi kenapa nangis2?

Yah.. Karena ceritanya menyayat hati. Dan itu bukan bayangan kisah yang bakal ditulis oleh penulisnya Cookie! No wonder saya harus berusaha mati2an menyelesaikan buku ini.. Karena tragedinya luar
Rachel
Jun 30, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Hetty Feather is a sweet book about a girl who searches to find her mother. She has to overcome lots of challenges of the horrid foundling hospital. It shows a roller coaster of emotion, I found myself near tears when Nurse Winnie first fed the milk to baby Hetty and so happy when Hetty found her new friend Polly. I rate it four stars because Hetty's character can seem annoying and immature even when she is 11 years old, and it is quite unusual that she doesn't seem to think at all before she ac ...more
Zharap
Oct 12, 2013 Zharap rated it it was amazing
Hetty is a poor orphan girl. As a baby she arrived at a foundling hospital. This is a story of adventure and sadness.

I recommend this book to any keen reader of Jacqueline Wilson. It is the first book in a series which includes Sapphire Battersea and then Emerald Star. Hetty is also featured in Diamond, which is also a great story.

Emily Jackson
Apr 02, 2015 Emily Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
Hetty Feather made me laugh,cry and scream at the book because it was so funny,sad and frustrating also the other books in the trilogy (emerald star, sapphire battersea) are very good but this one is definitely the best by far.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Aug 27, 2016 Bee (Heart Full of Books) rated it it was amazing
Definitely the BEST Jacqueline Wilson book out there. So heart breaking and well crafted!
Amy Louise
May 29, 2017 Amy Louise rated it it was amazing
Shardia-Jade Brady
Feb 25, 2017 Shardia-Jade Brady rated it it was amazing
Can i really only give my favorite book 5 starts!?!
what can I say about this book? I've always loved Jacqueline Wilson even in adulthood I still get very excited when a new book comes out! I've got the Hetty Feather Collection and I love every single book. I couldn't put them down! I have re-read them many times and will continue to do so. I felt so many emotions reading the books, happiness, heartache. everytime I read the books I feel Hetty welcomes me back like an old friend. I recommend anyo
Charlotte Ooi
May 12, 2017 Charlotte Ooi rated it it was amazing
Really good book about a girl who was taken care of by parents then sent back to the foundling hospital when she is older but while she was taken care of fr a limited time, she makes friends with her foster family.
Keira McNeill
Jan 29, 2017 Keira McNeill rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. Started reading it when the TV series came out and read this book in a week which is a rare occurrence. As per usual the book is way better than the TV series and would definitely recommend.
Hetty Feather 1 6 Mar 22, 2015 01:24PM
Any one think Hetty Feather is sphyco? 6 49 Oct 07, 2013 04:33AM
  • Dua Belas Pasang Mata
  • Marshmallow Skye (The Chocolate Box Girls, #2)
  • Tiger Lily Gold (Silk Sisters, #3)
  • Surf Ache
  • Princess Katie and the Silver Pony (The Tiara Club, #2)
  • Nya hyss av Emil i Lönneberga (Emil i Lönneberga, #2)
  • Teka-Teki Terakhir
  • Alice-Miranda at School
  • When My Naughty Little Sister Was Good (Naughty Little Sister, #4)
  • Look Into My Eyes (Ruby Redfort, #1)
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...

Hetty Feather (5 books)