Start by marking “The Rhetorical Tradition: Readings from Classical Times to the Present” as Want to Read:
The Rhetorical Tradition: Readings from Classical Times to the Present

The Rhetorical Tradition: Readings from Classical Times to the Present

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The Rhetorical Tradition — the first comprehensive anthology of primary texts covering the history of rhetoric — examines rhetorical theory from classical antiquity through the modern period. Extensive editorial material makes it an essential text for the beginning student as well as the professional scholar.
Published December 22nd 2000 by Bedford/St. Martin's (first published February 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Rhetorical Tradition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rhetorical Tradition

Chris Schaeffer
As anthologies go, this one isn't here to fuck around. The binding is horrifyingly stubborn, the pages are Bible-thin, and the text is tiny and in two columns. Despite a maybe unavoidable Western bias, Bizzell and Herzburg cover an admirably comprehensive swath of the rhetorical field, with generous selections and useful synopses. The editing of abridged sections could be smoother-- Cicero's 'Oratore' in particular is almost impossible to follow due to sudden, unmarked leaps in the dialogue-- bu ...more
Steven
It would be a lie to say that I read all of this text (Probably a solid quarter or third at best). I didn't and for good reason: the primary texts are idiosyncratic, dry, bland, pedantic, poorly written explanations of what rhetoric is and/or should be.

Sure, the points made and the ideas behind what rhetoric is or isn't are fantastic, but I needed a secondary text to make meaning of any of the jargon that some of the others wrote.

So, I'm either dumb (can never be ruled out) or these authors are
Eric
one paragraph can be unpacked and reflected upon for a long time. Dense, primary sources with good explanations and supporting material. All the timeless rhetoricians are here in one place.
Melissa
I read most of this book for my ENG 733 course - Theories and History of Rhetoric. This book provides a really great overview of the history of rhetoric and has helped me get a better understanding of the field's history. However, it is a very Western progression (that is, it follows a primarily Western view of rhetoric), and it focuses on some rhetoricians more than others. The Bible-like pages -both in format and in page feel- made note taking or highlighting pretty much impossible, and the do ...more
Robert Bartram
if you enjoy reading paragraphs that take 45minutes to plod through then this is the book to get. On the other hand it is a great source of original critical theory. It's not too bad for a 2000 more or less page tome.
Laurie McKickass
I did it. I made it cover to cover for comps. It was exhausting, but Bizzell's anthology is really the best overview of rhetorical history I've run across. She could have more women authors and P.O.C. represented, but her coverage and attention to the "non-canonical" side of the tradition is admirable.
Zachariah
I haven't read the whole book. I'm only half way through it (for school) and of that half I have only completely read a handful of the readings. But I have seen enough to say that the selections are great and the introductions to each section and each reading are superbly done.
Kelly
I'm reading this for school... I only added it to my goodreads list to generate copious amounts of sympathy (and the free liquor that often results).

There are those of you on my "friends" list who will be very excited. You both scare me.
Rebekah
sooo, rhetoric is about convincing other people, oftentimes in a public speaking forum. It was an anthology, so I liked some authors better than others (Anzaldua, Bakhtin, Sarah Grimke). Not too bad for a textbook.
Jerry
So, if you get past the fact that it is nearly impossible to understand and even harder to present, you can understand so much about a school's writing curriculum and how to improve your own writing as well.
Kelly
I've only read most of the ancient, medieval, and renaissance sections, and I just loved them. FANTASTIC intro material on the periods and the individual authors.
Ash
I'm reading this for school. I like the bits by Plato the best ^_^ although Rhetorica Ad Herrenium wasn't bad by any means
Bobby Rettew
If you want to read all different styles of works of rhetoric from classical to scientific...this book has them all.
Melissa Helquist
Jan 14, 2009 Melissa Helquist is currently reading it
Shelves: school
I am reading this for a class. I love rhetoric, but really could the writing be a little drier?
Randy Hulshizer
Good collection of rhetorical literature from all major ages.
Pete
Plato, Socrates, Isocrates, Gorgias, et al. You know you're jealous!
Terra
Thank you, Rhetorical Tradition, for introducing me to Nietzsche.
Vern Glaser
great overview of rhetoric...really interesting stuff!
Richard
Apr 04, 2009 Richard is currently reading it
A must for anyone studying Rhetoric.
Holly
I've read up through St. Augustine.
Courtney
Take some tylenol before you start this book, it will help with the headaches.
P.S. Nietzsche takes the cake by far.
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
Diana
Diana is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2015
Jessica Hickok
Jessica Hickok marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
  • A Handlist of Rhetorical Terms
  • The Art of Rhetoric
  • Writing Without Teachers
  • On the Ideal Orator
  • Lives on the Boundary: A Moving Account of the Struggles and Achievements of America's Educationally Un derprepared
  • Managing Enterprise Content: A Unified Content Strategy
  • The First Idea: How Symbols, Language, and Intelligence Evolved from Our Primate Ancestors to Modern Humans
  • The Future of the Past
  • The Jamestown Project
  • The Friendship: Wordsworth and Coleridge
  • Speech Genres and Other Late Essays
  • Abuse of Language--Abuse of Power
  • The Rhetoric of Fiction
  • Outline of a Theory of Practice
Academic Discourse and Critical Consciousness Negotiating Difference: Cultural Case Studies for Composition Rhetorical Agendas: Political, Ethical, Spiritual Rhetorical Tradition 2e & From Critical Thinking To Argument The Bedford Bibliography For Teachers Of Writing