Start by marking “Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways” as Want to Read:
Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways

Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  456 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Offering freedom and discovery on the open road, this second edition lures travelers into two-lane back country. 96 color and b&w photos. 64 illustrations. 165 maps.
Published April 14th 2009 by Avalon Travel Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Road Trip USA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road Trip USA

Dave Courtney
Road Trip USA is a resource that brands itself with a sort of old school value. The routes encourage the a patient meandering through small town America and off the beaten path novelties that make road tripping a sort of American institution. The chosen paths do cross conventional tourism and big cities, but it never loses sight of the greater vision. It is all about the art of taking your time, recognizing the history that surrounds you, veering off the interstate, and experiencing the impressi ...more
Linda
Road Trip USA

In the summer of 2014, my partner and I took what ended up being a 2 and a half month road trip through the US, starting in Philadelphia and heading down to Atlanta, west through the deep South and Southwest to California then up the coast and winding around the Mountain West before working our way back East to Philadelphia. I hadn’t bothered to look at any guidebooks, figuring I would be able to find whatever information I needed online along the way. While that was somewhat true -
Brian Hodges
Absolutely INDISPENSABLE book for anyone who is planning an authentic American Road Trip. This isn't your typical travel guide telling you where to find five star lodging and the best golf courses. This book presents real "Golden Age of America" car travel, taking you along two-lane U.S. Highways, through small towns and by roadside attractions less frequented in this increasingly fast-paced and impersonal society. If you're the kind of person who prefers sticking only to the interstate, eating ...more
katykins
The fifth edition of Road Trip USA comes at an opportune time. Gas per gallon is down more than a dollar from last year, and in looking at a line graph projecting the U.S. unemployment rate, if it doesn’t trigger a desire to go on an uphill hike in the Colorado mountains, it exposes that there are plenty of people out there with newly found time on their hands. Time, I say, for a road trip.

What Jamie Jensen does with his colored photographs and charming details is provoke us to stop considering
Zeljka
This guide is definitely essential for everybody willing to get to know the USA by car, because it really tries hard to give you all information needed about the road you are on. It even gives you some information about the outdoor landmarks you should see, but not much, which the author compensates with the recommendations of the books and guides about the subject.
I am European, and I used to dream about crossing the USA by car, but now, after reading this guide, I am not so willing anymore. IM
Sharron
I recently pulled this book off the shelf again for a fifth foray into the world of long trip road planning. By that I mean a journey of over 10,000 miles. For the past four summers this book has provided us with the outline of a route on lesser known roads through parts of the country we would otherwise never have experienced. Think of it as the "anti-interstate highway" travel bible. With this title plus a spiral bound Rand McNally Road Atlas (hint, large print for visual ease) all you need do ...more
hissi
it has all the best roads to travel on and the all the destinations you could ever think. border to border and cost to cost.
April
This guide book is for the person who wants to experience an old fashioned road trip where the trip is the destination.

This edition covers 11 major road trips. Some going from Canada to Mexico and others from the west coast to the east coast.

The guide is full of sight seeing information for each route and offers may tips for your trip. For instance:

If you were to travel the "Great River Road" from Minnesota to Louisiana, watch out for speed traps in souther Illinois and be sure to stop in Metrop
Eli Mandel
This book helped fuel my love of the country road. No rest areas with McDonald's for me.
Stuck on Lou
Mar 03, 2008 Stuck on Lou rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ramblin' men and women
Shelves: travel
I highly recommend this book, especially to anyone who is driving across the country. It outlines routes that are off the major highways and highlights points of interest and local history along the way. Also, at one particularly bendy part of route 66, the book tells you that comedian Bobcat Goldthwaite died in a motorcycle accident on those treacherous turns, which will lead to hours of heated debate with your car companions about whether Bobcat Goldthwaite is actually dead (he isn't).
Monica
This is one of those books that's really a reference guide every time you even THINK about going somewhere. It's packed full of great tips, locations, restaurants, and points out the quirkiness that is Americana in between. It's got a great layout, and goes in order of the roads, which makes it easy to work with when you're actually on a road trip.
If I even hit a quarter of the places listed in this book, I will consider myself lucky.
Lea
My husband and I wended our way cross country more than once with this book, which tipped us off to some wonderful spots and great experiences. I love it as a gift (along with cash for gas money) for a high school graduate to encourage travel, discovery and seeing it for yourself. The latest edition is a little glossier than the one we started out with (color pictures!), but retains the same tone that makes it a thoughtful resource.
Ashley
When I was mapping out our road trip, I was really frustrated and disappointed with this book. I felt like it was full of places we had no intention of going to. But the beauty of the book really shined when we are on the road and I realized we can't be in The Big Places everyday. There are amazing things to find along the journey and this book provided so many little gems. A definite must for The Road.
Madamemortician
I skipped through...
Heidi
Loved this book! It was a great book while driving cross country. Lots of out of the way, unique sights, restaurants, and lodging. Even though it's 4-5 years old now, we used it again moving back across country in 2007. It was still very helpful. We also referenced their website, www.roadtripusa.com
Jill
A must for the car travelling family vacations. So many spots to pull over and get out of the car that you'll end up off your path but so worth it. We 've been to the home of the corn dog, best chowder in Oregon and Sol Duc Hots Springs in WA. WOn't leave home without it.
Kassie
A well-executed book. From the organization to the photos to the minor (but very important) details, this book is nice to have while traveling - especially if you find yourself lost or with unexpected downtime in an unfamiliar place.
Paul
Nov 28, 2007 Paul rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers of the beaten path
This should be your first book to read if you want to travel by car off the main drag. It will get you started on trips from east coast to west coast and north to south. I used it for Route 66 and the Great River Road. Good information.
Tim
So you do not really read this, but you do Use it for Super Sweet Road Trips. This book has Great Detailed and Colorful Trip maps and Sweet Roadside Attraction Guides.
Michael
Jul 08, 2012 Michael marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm planing a trip out west to Route 66 mid Summer but knew this was something I had to have. Great stuff so far from just scanning and stopping.
Felicia
I didn't read this book from cover to cover just the places that interested me the most. It was well put together and had a lot of good suggestions.
Bridget
Lots of great ideas for us in here!! I look forward to putting them all to use over the next two weeks.
Peggy Stubblefield
I use this book for every trip, real or imagined.
Gina
The road is calling my name now...
The
pretty decent guide
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
  • National Geographic Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways
  • The Size of the World
  • Most Scenic Drives in America
  • Roadfood
  • Route 66: The Mother Road
  • The Majic Bus: An American Odyssey
  • The New Roadside America: The Modern Traveler's Guide to the Wild and Wonderful World of America's Tourist Attractions
  • Travelers' Tales India: True Stories
  • American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders
  • The People's Guide to Mexico
  • An Empire Wilderness: Travels into America's Future
  • 1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Metal Cowboy: Tales from the Road Less Pedaled
  • Along the Edge of America
  • A Bike Ride: 12,000 Miles Around the World
  • I See by My Outfit
California Road Trip USA Route 66 Road Trip USA Pacific Coast Highway Road Trip USA Great River Road San Francisco & Northern California