The Earl's Prize (Tallants, #1)

The Earl's Prize (Tallants #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When Miss Amy finds herself the recipient of a windfall her whole life changes! She is utterly intrigued by Joss, a notorious gambler, and is finding his attentions all but impossible to resist...!
Hardcover, Large Print, 352 pages
Published April 1st 2003 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 2002)

Isabella Kai
The Earl’s Prize is about Miss Amy Bainbridge, a well-bred lady who’s forced to live on reduced circumstances, and Joss Tallant, the man who represents everything she detests in a gentleman and at the same time intrigues every curious cell on her body.

“Love is for fools and it will only make you unhappy…” These are the words that Joscelyne, Earl of Tallant, lived by. He’s a jaded person, or he appears to be. Who can blame him when both his parents gave him the same advice, if you can actually ca...more
Linda
My first exposure to this author was in a Christmas anthology and the characters featured seemed to have a common past leading me to wonder if they starred in earlier books. Here's the first one about the Tallant family.

Some seriously dysfunctional parents emotionally cripple their children: Joss and Julianna. As adults they dally and defy society but inside they're miserable. Joss comes across Amy and her family through Amy's brother, Richard who is an inveterate gambler like his father leaving...more
Jolene
I found myself torn about the book. I liked the result and most of the chase to get there but the disgusting character of his sister I found really appalling. I wanted to feel she was redeemed at the end. I also disliked how her supposed friend Lady Spry told her secrets and then was going ratio use her at the end. I understand going to her for help, but not thinking someone ass impoverished as her could part with that huge sum of money. I did want Spry and Fleet to have their own happy ending....more
Michelle
I hadn't read any romance in quite some time before I picked up this book. I was so glad I did! Such a fun plot...a woman of little means finds a winning lottery ticket and all the hi jinx that go along with it.
Fun read, and I really could picture the characters and the settings.
Great way to spend a flight or rainy afternoon.
Caitlin Richards
I loved this book! It was very romantic and kept me up late at night to find out what was going to happen next!
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Cute regency, some nice touches of historical placement - like the description of the lottery.
Emma Shortt
How much do I love this book!!! It is, without doubt, one of my favorite ever regency historicals.
Jasey
Maria
Mar 10, 2013 Maria marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Se
Alicia
Alicia added it
Jul 25, 2014
Rettah
Rettah marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Leigha
Leigha marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
T. Martin
T. Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Teazia Cockburn
Teazia Cockburn marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
USA Today bestselling author Nicola Cornick writes witty and passionate Regency historicals for HQN Books and MIRA. She studied History at London and Oxford and was awarded a distinction for her dissertation on historical heroes. It was a tough study but someone had to do it. Nicola has a “double life” as a writer and guide at the stunning 17th century hunting lodge, Ashdown House.

Romantic Times h...more
More about Nicola Cornick...
Whisper of Scandal (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #1) One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2) Mistress by Midnight (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #3) Desired (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #5) The Confessions of a Duchess (The Brides of Fortune #1)