Start by marking “The Earl's Prize (Tallants, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Earl's Prize (Tallants, #1)

The Earl's Prize (Tallants #1)

The daughter of a baronet whose gambling has brought ruin to the family, Amy Bainbridge finds a winning lottery ticket that could solve many problems, but must first determine which of her brother's friends is the real owner of the ticket.
Hardcover, Large Print, 352 pages
Published April 1st 2003 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Earl's Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earl's Prize

Isabella Kai
The Earl’s Prize is about Miss Amy Bainbridge, a well-bred lady who’s forced to live on reduced circumstances, and Joss Tallant, the man who represents everything she detests in a gentleman and at the same time intrigues every curious cell on her body.

“Love is for fools and it will only make you unhappy…” These are the words that Joscelyne, Earl of Tallant, lived by. He’s a jaded person, or he appears to be. Who can blame him when both his parents gave him the same advice, if you can actually ca
Linda
Feb 08, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
My first exposure to this author was in a Christmas anthology and the characters featured seemed to have a common past leading me to wonder if they starred in earlier books. Here's the first one about the Tallant family.

Some seriously dysfunctional parents emotionally cripple their children: Joss and Julianna. As adults they dally and defy society but inside they're miserable. Joss comes across Amy and her family through Amy's brother, Richard who is an inveterate gambler like his father leaving
Jolene
Apr 20, 2013 Jolene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself torn about the book. I liked the result and most of the chase to get there but the disgusting character of his sister I found really appalling. I wanted to feel she was redeemed at the end. I also disliked how her supposed friend Lady Spry told her secrets and then was going ratio use her at the end. I understand going to her for help, but not thinking someone ass impoverished as her could part with that huge sum of money. I did want Spry and Fleet to have their own happy ending. ...more
Katherine
The writing was bad, the history was wrong, and don't get me started on the author's overuse of the exclamation mark.
But the characters were so good and the plot was so intriguing that I didn't want to stop reading it.
I'm hoping that this was a first effort and that subsequent books were better. But the editor should be given a warning for letting those mistakes through.
Michelle
Apr 27, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read any romance in quite some time before I picked up this book. I was so glad I did! Such a fun plot...a woman of little means finds a winning lottery ticket and all the hi jinx that go along with it.
Fun read, and I really could picture the characters and the settings.
Great way to spend a flight or rainy afternoon.
Jan
May 04, 2015 Jan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well!!!! I got halfway through the book!!!!! I couldn't take all the exclamation marks any further!!!! They distracted me to the point that I was expecting them instead of being engrossed in the story!!!!! Just too many!!!!!
Emma Shortt
Dec 05, 2010 Emma Shortt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How much do I love this book!!! It is, without doubt, one of my favorite ever regency historicals.
LemontreeLime
Cute regency, some nice touches of historical placement - like the description of the lottery.
Christina Pikas
Nov 22, 2013 Christina Pikas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it
Seema
Traditional regency romance between a wallflower and a rake. Well written and lots of chemistry, without being sexually explicit
Lois
Jan 02, 2011 Lois rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solidly good.
Maggie Hesseling
This novel has some great touches to it. And I liked how the hero was flawed. I really want to read more by this author now!
Maria
Mar 01, 2013 Maria marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Se
Jasey
Feb 02, 2012 Jasey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caitlin Richards
Nov 09, 2012 Caitlin Richards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I loved this book! It was very romantic and kept me up late at night to find out what was going to happen next!
Jan 04, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2016
This one is quite adorable. Gotta love those rakes who are just itching to reform. And I loved all of Amy's good sense.
Tory Ferrera
Mar 25, 2015 Tory Ferrera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
About mid-way through the book, I figured out that the hero was a secondary character in another of L Carlyle's books. It was fun to finally read that character's whole story!
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2008
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Robin Klinger
Robin Klinger rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2017
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2013
Tish
Tish rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Gillian Wheatley
Gillian Wheatley rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Lydia
Lydia rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Shuriu
Shuriu rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2010
Ron
Ron rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2009
Ana Elisa
Ana Elisa rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2010
Tricia
Tricia rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 09, 2016 07:04PM
  • The Shocking Lord Standon (Scandalous Ravenhursts, #3)
  • Scandalizing The Ton
  • In The King's Service (Warrior, #15)
  • To Catch a Rogue
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • Lady Arabella's Scandalous Marriage
  • An Improper Aristocrat
  • The Norman's Bride
  • Bluestocking Bride
  • Fool's Masquerade
  • Puritan Bride
  • The Wicked Earl  (Harlequin Historical Series, #843)
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie Clan #4.5) (Wellingfords #2.5)
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • An Honorable Thief
  • Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess (Belston & Friends #2)
  • Her Montana Man
  • All the Pleasures of the Season
International bestselling author Nicola Cornick writes romantic historical mysteries and witty and passionate Regency romance. She studied History at London and Oxford and was awarded a distinction for her dissertation on historical heroes. It was a tough study but someone had to do it. Nicola has a “double life” as a writer and guide at the stunning 17th century hunting lodge, Ashdown House.

Nicol
More about Nicola Cornick...

Tallants (3 books)
  • The Chaperone Bride (Tallants, #2)
  • Wayward Widow (Tallants, #3)