Start by marking “The Constant Art of Being a Writer: The Life, Art & Business of Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Constant Art of Being a Writer: The Life, Art & Business of Fiction

The Constant Art of Being a Writer: The Life, Art & Business of Fiction

The Fiction Writer's Guide to Creative Success

From that first story idea to publication and beyond, being a novelist is an evolving process. The Constant Art of Being a Writer helps you discover the mindset and skills you need to confidently approach each aspect of writing and publishing.

Award-winning novelist and short story writer N.M. Kelby explores core fiction writing
Published September 23rd 2009 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Constant Art of Being a Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Constant Art of Being a Writer

James
Meh - one of those books that gives me the feeling the author wrote it only because she wanted the income, not because she had anything new to say. I suppose if I'd never read any other books on writing, and I was still fourteen, I might be impressed, but I have, I'm not, and I'm not. Not left-brain enough to be useful, not right-brain enough to be inspiring.
Theresa Glover
Jul 06, 2016 Theresa Glover rated it really liked it
This one's worth the time for any writer, from a beginner to someone who is interested in the business and craft of writing who hasn't yet put butt in chair to get the work done. The information is a little dated in some chapters, but since I got it while Borders was thrashing about in death throes, that's to be expected. Overall, there's good information ranging from the "basics" of craft (story craft, character development) through surviving a book tour and NOT making a pest of yourself with ...more
Harry Roger Williams III
May 31, 2010 Harry Roger Williams III rated it really liked it
I read this book because Seth Godin writes on the back cover, “Don’t wait, don’t stall, don’t browse. Buy a copy right now.” Being a librarian who can get most books free – as well as being thrifty to the extreme - but who has purchased both books and CDs by Godin, I had to devour it. The reader is rewarded with a lot of insights including how to use social networking. I applaud her efforts to help you sell what you write while never letting you forget that the writing is an act unto itself and ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Sep 03, 2011 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
The writing how to sections are okay, but the business sections are very good and full of insights. I'm not yet at the point in my writing career where I need to worry about the business side of writing, but it's good to know what's coming!

P.S. I got this book for free from going to the Nanowrimo Night of Writing Dangerously in November 2009.
Christian McKay
Feb 22, 2010 Christian McKay rated it really liked it
Pretty good, straightforward advice. Kelby throws a lasso around all the great writing techniques that aren't normally found in books on writing: everything from TED.com to Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I'll be referencing it in the future.
Mrs. Missive
Jun 04, 2010 Mrs. Missive rated it liked it
It was okay...lots of stuff I have heard before though, and I am learning that I need to read more how to's for romance books than for straight fiction. I want to have more fun with writing, and while writing is still producing a product, I don't want to be so clinical.
Kristen Rudd
Jun 16, 2011 Kristen Rudd marked it as to-read
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I keep misplacing this book and losing my bookmark out of it. I never remember where I was. Maybe I'll try again another time.
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2010
Mary Warner
Mary Warner rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2011
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Dave Jr
Dave Jr rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2010
Vickymcfadden
Vickymcfadden rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2010
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Elizabeth Bergquist
Elizabeth Bergquist rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Karin
Karin rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Pbs
Pbs rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Tara Gelston
Tara Gelston rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2013
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
J.P.
J.P. rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2010
Christy Tarner
Christy Tarner rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Papatya
Papatya rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2011
Swati
Swati rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2010
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Jake
Jake rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2010
  • The Art and Craft of Novel Writing
  • The First 50 Pages: Engage Agents, Editors and Readers, and Set Up Your Novel for Success
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises
  • Your First Novel: A Published Author and a Top Agent Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Thanks, But This Isn't for Us: The Compassionate Guide to Understanding What's Wrong with Your Writing and Leaving the Rejection Pile for Good
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print
  • The Scene Book: A Primer for the Fiction Writer
  • We Wanted to Be Writers:  Life, Love, and Literature at the Iowa Writers' Workshop
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • Immediate Fiction: A Complete Writing Course
Dr. Nicole Mary Kelby is the critically acclaimed international author of seven novels including THE PINK SUIT, WHITE TRUFFLES IN WINTER and the New York Times bestseller IN THE COMPANY OF ANGELS. She is the recipient of numerous grants and awards including a Bush Artist Fellowship in Literature, Florida Book Award, and both the Florida and Minnesota State Arts Board Fellowship. She is toured and ...more
More about N.M. Kelby...