Start by marking “Digger Man” as Want to Read:
Digger Man

Digger Man (Andrea & David's "Man" Books)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A picture book for the very young that celebrates a child's excitement for construction vehicles

"Honk the horn!
Flash the lights!
Scoop the rocks!
Push the mud!"

A little boy imagines driving a great big digger-scooping and pushing mud to make a playground for his baby brother.

Children are fascinated with bulldozers, backhoes, payloaders-diggers of all shapes and sizes. In th
Published September 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Digger Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digger Man

Alicia
I know this is pretty picky of me to give this book such a low rating. This book has nice looking illustrations and a good story line that my daughter loves, but there were three pages in this book where a baby is pictured holding a bottle. It just doesn't have any relevance in a book about diggers that the baby should have a bottle so many times in the book. It is just another way that the formula companies hook young children into thinking that bottle feeding is normal. Formula is so commercia ...more
Ann Cox
In Digger Man, a little boy imagines what it would be like to own his own digger truck. The cheerful illustrations and the boy's imaginative vision of his future as a digger man made this picture book a joy to read. I think toddlers and preschoolers (especially those inclined to love planes, trains, and automobiles) will enjoy this story as it introduces them to what diggers actually do as well as to the concept of imagination.
Missy
Nov 22, 2008 Missy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little boys age 1-5
Shelves: little-guy-books
On the surface, this doesn't look amazing. But the author must know little boys. She is so into the brain of my preschooler. Reading the text is like reading his mind. I paraphrase: "My brother is too little, so he doesn't know...but soon I'm going to buy a huge digger...I will have a lot of work to do with my digger...Sometimes my mom and dad can bring my brother to watch me work...." My toddler adores the book as well because of the pictures.
Kate
I think the best thing about this book are the crisp, clear illustrations. My son loved pointing out all the different trucks, which are colorful and well-defined. It is also a good book to talk about all the different things a bulldozer can do. Its short sentences make it easy for a new reader to read, and it is a sweet depiction of brotherly love.
Dawn
The text was brief and the pictures were okay, but the kids at the daycare loved this anyway. There wasn't much opportunity to engage them about what was going on in the book. It would have been nice if the end pages had the names of the various types of vehicles pictured in the book for older kids.
Dana
Sep 28, 2011 Dana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with boys who love construction
Recommended to Dana by: Jodi
Shelves: children-s-books
My son loves this story. He has me read it over and over and over (he's 2). I only rated it a 4 b/c it's a WHEEL LOADER. Authors need to stop calling every piece of heavy equipment diggers. So, I change the words when I read it to my son. We call the book Loader Man.
Emerson
Cute story about an older brother and younger brother. The older brother fantasizes about being the driver of the digger and how he will show the little brother how to do it. Good pictures.
Fredrick Danysh
A young boy loves machines that dig. He expounds on what he would do if he had one. The you boy that I read this to throughly enjoyed as he read along with me.
Ingrid
I LOVE this book. It would be great for Lapsit and possibly Preschool Storytime. See my reviews for Train Man and Fire Engine Man by the same author.
Colin E.c.
um I love that he's going to buy a digger and love that he's doing something very special with his digger like making a digger park.
Tania
All of my boys have had this as a favorite book for several months as a toddler/preschooler. Our entire family has it memorized.
Janet
A great boys' picture book. The preschooler day dreams that he has a front end loader and he digs and builds. Great illustrations.
Kathleen
Nice pictures. Story is boring and the same as the others. Just exchange the words "Digger Man" for "Train Man."
Jennifer Hess
Gavin loves this book. Possibly because it has a big brother, little brother. It is a simple, cute book.
Lisa
A book about a boy who wants to use a digger and show his brother how to use one when he gets old enough.
Kendra
Super cute books, simple enough to share with toddlers, but a dream preschoolers will certainly understand!
HD
Perfect for the little boy (or girl) whose every other waking thought is occupied with diggers.
Jane
James loves this!! I think we'll be reading it every night until it goes back to the library.
Tracey Besemer
Such a simple little book, but my kiddos love it and request it often.
Cindi
About a little boy and what he will do when he becomes a digger man.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Preschool
Family: Older brother with baby brother
Stephanie
Every toddler boy should have this book.
B
L's autobiography :)
a big hit at our house
Tee
Micah's all time favorite.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
carina rich
carina rich marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
  • Oh, Daddy!
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • Night Light
  • Ten Red Apples
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • The Monster Returns
Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha are married and have created several children’s books together, including Digger Man, Fire Engine Man and Trashy Town, an ALA Notable Book. Zimmerman was born in Ohio and grew up in New York, Utah and California. When she was young, she loved exploring nature, reading comic books, and riding her horse. She studied fine arts for children in college, then later we ...more
More about Andrea Zimmerman...

Andrea & David's "Man" Books (3 books)
  • Train Man