Start by marking “Taj: Tragedi di Balik Tanda Cinta Abadi” as Want to Read:
Taj: Tragedi di Balik Tanda Cinta Abadi

Taj: Tragedi di Balik Tanda Cinta Abadi

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Siapa pernah menyangka dibalik keindahan dan kesucian cinta yang tercermin dari Taj Mahal, tersimpan keangkuhan hati manusia? Atau, pernahkah kita menduga, ketulusan cinta Shah Jahan kepada Arjumand Banu, Mumtaz Mahal Sang Penghias Istana, harus ternoda oleh sisi gelap nan menyakitkan? Tatkala Taj Mahal selesai dibangun, kesultanan Mughal justru terkoyak dari dalam istana. ...more
Published 2007 by Mizan Group (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Taj, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taj

Jewel
While reading this book I kept thinking “This author have an ulterior motive!”

Because really, why would an Indian author right a book about one of the best architectural buildings not only in India but the world, and about a ruling family that ruled a vast empire through generations in India, and then just write everything that is bad about it.

I mean so they were exceedingly rich and corrupted and drank like a crazy (all day long) and cared only for their pleasures. So I ask when did they have t
Nandini
I liked this book. It is historical fiction set in Mughal India. Made for a fascinating read. The story moves in 3 directions simultaneously. A young Shahjahan falling in love with Arjumand (Mumtaz Mahal), an older Shahjahan building his dream or obsession of a Taj Mahal and the story of a poor Hindu carver. The Hindu carver is a symbol of the way Hindus were treated during a predominantly Mughal era.

The hospitality of the famed Rajputs, the Aurangzeb angle - where the author has tried to discu
Roossy
Taj is a novel about love. Deep love of Arjumand and Shah Janan. The story started when Shah Janan was only a prince when he first saw Arjumand. He fell in love at the very first sight of her. As the heir of Great Mughal of India, he was not allowed to choose his wife. The marriage of Arjumand and Shah Janan was possible after much persuasion. Arjumand and Shah Janan were blessed with seven children as a consequence of 14 pregnancies. After Arjumand died, Shah Janan was engrossed in building a s ...more
Marcy
If I could have given ten stars for Taj, I would have for this incredible novel! After having visited the Taj Mahal this summer, and learning about the Mughal empire, I adored reading this novel about Shah Jahan and his beloved, Arjumand. At the royal bazaar of Jahanigir, the emperor, son of Akbar, the greatest of Mughal emperors, the prince, Shah Jahan, Jahanigir's son, first gazed at Arjumand, and she gazed at him. They fell in love at first site, and through many years of peace, love, war, an ...more
Adam
When his queen Arjumand Banu-Mumtaz-i-Mahal-the Chosen One of the Palace-died, Shah Jahan wanted to build a monument that was the image of his perfect love for her. For twenty-two years, twenty thousand men laboured day and night to fulfill the emperor's obsession. The result was the Taj Mahal, a marble mausoleum lined with gold, silver and precious jewels.

This powerful novel narrates the story of the Taj on two parallel levels. The first one tells the passionate love story of Shah Jahan and Ar
Rengganis Primadisa
Mungkin seleraku yang aneh atau gimana, tapi ini buku terbaik yang pernah kubaca.

Awalnya aku gak suka baca buku sejarah kayak gini, tapi karena rekomendasi teman akhirnya aku baca buku ini dan WAU! Mungkin aku lebay atau gimana kali ya gak tau juga hahaha tapi pas baca bab 1, rasanya aku gak bisa nafas saking indah dan kerennya susunan kata-kata untuk deskripsi-in cinta pandangan pertama antara Shah Jahan dan Arjumand.

Cerita dan cara penyampaiannya emang bagus dari sananya. Tapi jarang banget a
Hiba
Extraordinary! Tantalizing! Intimidating!
A must read for everyone!
The lingering love story on the sidelines between Shah Jehan and Arjumand Banu.
The smouldering sensuality, the riches of the Mughal Empire. The height of a dynasty so bursting with splendour that one never tires reading about it.
The towering yet secretive Taj Mahal, a true page turner and awesome read.
Jennifer James
Dian April
Aku baca versi terjemahan dlm bhs Indonesia. Novel sejarah menurutku. Bagus. Ada sisi nyata yang dibahasakan kembali dan ada sisi fiksi bisa jadi sebenarnya nyata.Sisi gelap dan terang dibalik pembangunan Taj.
Ada kisah cintanya. Dan itu nyata. Nggak picisan, tapi mengharukan. Romantis. Hehe...
Sekaligus tragis. Pergulatan memperebutkan kekuasaan sampai harus mengorbankan nyawa saudara kandung sendiri.
Abby
I don't remember the last time I read a book so poorly edited. Why put just one comma, why not two? Get to the end of a paragraph and see end quotes...but none that started. Ugh. Plus, it just wasn't as good as others I've read about the era.
Maggie
so interesting to read about the building of the Taj Mahal. Maybe it helps having travelled there? Interesting to note that the original plans included an identical Taj to be built across the river but this time in black marble not white. Found this book took a while to get through but still enjoyed it, even though the author has created a fictional story around an event. Have kept it to re read.
Naomi Pereira
Really takes you back in time to experience life as it was once lived in the 16th century in India during the Mughal reign.Great descriptive imagery of those times,poignant,beautiful & erotic.A love story is finely woven into the tapestry of the various lives where duty precedes all else,power is king and ultimately the fall from grace.
Keith
The author kept skipping to the love story and the building of the Taj each chapter. All the even chapters were devoted to the love story and the odd chapters were devoted to the building of the Taj. Just as you got refamilarized with the characters it would switch to the other story. It wasn't to my liking.
Muhammad Ridwan
Jujur aja, novel berlatarkan sejarah di zaman Kerajaan Mughal, India ini bagus sekali. Perbedaan cerita antara bab ganjil dan bab genap ternyata mampu berkesinambungan. Konflik digambarkan dengan sempurna. Bahasa yang sedikit rumit di awal ternyata semakin membuatku nyaman dan enak sampai usai.
Nancy
I learned a lot about Mogul Indian culture at the time of building the Taj Mahal. It was a bit hard to follow at first and then it seemed to go on and on. I am glad to be finished at last!
Hilary
Overall, it was interesting and I learned more about the Taj Mahal than I knew before, but this book really dragged for me. There were only a few parts that were really attention grabbing.
Susan
I read this a few years ago, and have now read it again and got so much more out of it. Fascinating account of the love story behind the building of the Taj Mahal.
Sam
Well written and a perfect story - not in terms of everything nice, but in the way in which everything falls into place beautifully. Plus an excellent history lesson.
Siti Awaliyah
Bagusss....jadi tau gimana cerita taj mahal itu sendiri...harusnya gw baca buku ini sebelom gw ke taj mahal, bukan setelah ke taj mahal hehehehehe
Sobia Be
wonderfully written...really bring back the reader in time....not sure abt the fact though.....feel like visiting the Taj...& doing more research
Chetan Bikkina
Most insighful in the Indian history among all books I have read so far. An beautiful, culturally vibrant and exotic book
Maggie
I enjoyed this book very much. I loved the history of Mugal India. I would recommend reading this book.
Ishita
Ooooh the lascivious, all-important, glorious mughals. A little fact, a little fiction. Great read.
Anindya
beautifull story... beautiful phrase.
makes me blushing whenever I read it.
sara
not as good as the 20th wife...but a fun historical fiction nonetheless...
Dee
Apr 08, 2011 Dee is currently reading it
"cinta itu pedih, seperti kerinduan yang tidak tercapai."
Muhammad_Taufiq
Kisah cinta dalam balutan arogansi kekuasaan...
Sandeep Gangar
If you enjoy typos, read this book.
  • Mistress of the Throne
  • The Sidewalk Artist
  • With Violets
  • Indonesian Idle
  • Raj: The Making and Unmaking of British India
  • Make Peace With Anyone: Breakthrough Strategies to Quickly End Any Conflict, Feud, or Estrangement
  • Cinema Studies: The Key Concepts (Key Concepts) (Routledge Key Guides)
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • Screen Plays: How 25 Scripts Made It to a Theater Near You--For Better or Worse
  • Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • Batavia
  • Master of Shadows: The Secret Diplomatic Career of the Painter Peter Paul Rubens
  • Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots
  • ipung
  • The Way Hollywood Tells It: Story and Style in Modern Movies
  • The Imaginary Signifier: Psychoanalysis and the Cinema
  • Shooting to Kill
Timeri Murari is an award winning writer, filmmaker, and playwright, who began his career as journalist on the Kingston Whig Standard in Ontario, Canada. He writes for the Guardian, Sunday Times, and other magazines and newspapers internationally. He has published both fiction and non-fiction, and his bestselling novel, Taj, was translated into 19 lanugages and has recently been reissued by Pengui ...more
More about Timeri N. Murari...
The Taliban Cricket Club Four Steps from Paradise My Temporary Son: An Orphan's Journey The Imperial Agent The Small House

“Isa looked down the river to the Taj Mahal. It shone harshly in the midday sun, the marble glared back at the sky and it stood isolated and alone. It needed a companion of beauty, but there was none in this world. Isa had thought long about the tomb; it had life, it breathed. He imagined the rise and fall of the stone as it sighed. He realized it was lonely. It was a perfect thing in an imperfect world, and that was an awesome burden.” 1 likes