Start by marking “Mother Goddam: The Story of the Career of Bette Davis” as Want to Read:
Mother Goddam: The Story of the Career of Bette Davis

Mother Goddam: The Story of the Career of Bette Davis

Index, filmography, list of stage appearances, many photographs. A sympathetic biography of the 10-time Academy Award nominated Hollywood legend, written by Stine with "running commentary" by Davis inserted throughout the text in red ink. "Mother Goddam" is apparently a nickname that Davis called herself.
Published May 1st 1974 by Hawthorn Books, Inc. (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Goddam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Goddam

Donna
Sep 19, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
I've always loved this book, it's great to have Davis running commentary. Very entertaining read.
Lee Anne
May 06, 2014 Lee Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A standard-issue "and then she made this movie" bio, enlivened by Ms. Davis herself interjecting her opinion of the facts at hand. Much like in her memoir, The Lonely Life, Davis never seems to find herself in the wrong while pretending to be cooperative and just dedicated to her work. I'll bet she was a nightmare. I love her.
Booksrock
Mar 07, 2011 Booksrock rated it it was ok
Bette Davis is fascinating to me, but this book written with her heavy editing offered me little. Talk about an unreliable narrator. I did get the gist of her life up to Baby Jane, but she came near to saintly and was a legend in her own mind as well as the rest of us. No objectivity, but did enjoy hearing about her films.
Cuykendall
Oct 25, 2015 Cuykendall rated it liked it
Reads like an extended publicity release. Marginally entertaining, but if you've read any other decent bio of Bette Davis, there is nothing new to learn here. Virtually nothing about her personal life, just a chronology of her movies, with her comments interspersed.
Christopher Carter
Jul 09, 2014 Christopher Carter rated it really liked it
With Miss Davis adding in her own commentary and corrections where she felt it was warranted I loved and still love this book. This is definitely one to read and keep handy as a true reference guide
Silverspringsrr
Apr 01, 2009 Silverspringsrr rated it really liked it
A chronology of the Davis career, with often hilarious running commentary by Davis herself, added after Stine completed the book.
Cindy
Apr 24, 2010 Cindy rated it it was ok
Shelves: biograhpy
I liked the fact Bette Davis had a chance to comment on the things that were said about her. It gave an interesting insight to the media clippings.
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2009
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Gerri Balter
Gerri Balter rated it did not like it
Jun 17, 2014
Texbritreader
Texbritreader rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2010
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2009
Gene Ripka
Gene Ripka rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2011
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2013
John Heil
John Heil rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Suzanne Mitchell
Suzanne Mitchell rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2012
Gmh357
Gmh357 rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2011
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Blair
Blair rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Debby
Debby rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2008
Sally Anne
Sally Anne rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Diana Stegall
Diana Stegall rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013