Start by marking “The Children's House of Belsen” as Want to Read:
The Children's House of Belsen

The Children's House of Belsen

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Hetty Werkendam, oldest of three children of a Jewish family in Amsterdam, was sent to Belsen, where she was separated from her parents to live in the Children's House. Her account of life there provides a painfully poignant, ultimately uplifting and highly unusual Holocaust story.
Published September 1st 2004 by Politico's Publishing (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Children's House of Belsen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Children's House of Belsen

Ali
Amazing book!
But what a shame it had to be written.
A part of history that is deeply shocking, even today.
A part of history that sadly is still being repeated today.
Why has the world not learnt? Why has human nature not changed?
Anyway - this book was billed as quite an uplifting story of the Holocaust. I did not believe that there could ever be such a thing. But to be sure, it is.
The horrors are there, but they are not too described, they are not quite gloss over, but it's almost like the author
Eleanor
Aug 08, 2013 Eleanor marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Today I had the amazing opportunity to meet Hetty at school today. She is the most lovely old lady you could know, and despite all she had been through she still has such a positive out look on life. Being able to listen to her tell her story was an experience I will never forget. I am now totally determined to read the book and discover the rest if her story.
Magpie Baker
I have read many books of the Holocaust in my lifetime, but never an autobiography. This is a book in which despair and sorrow, hate and unmitigated evil took many innocent lives. It is meticulously documented at a 'day in the life' level. However, for the survivors, this is a tale of unexpected and unselfish human kindness, determination, and a will to survive, which makes this book so uplifting. To think that anyone, let alone a family, could survive such unspeakable cruelty, and then go on to ...more
Serena Cloos
Iedere keer weer als ik een boek lees dat zich in de Tweede Wereldoorlog heeft afgespeeld sta ik versteld van de overlevingsdrift van de mensen die in concentratiekampen hebben gezeten. Zo ook dit boek…
Dit waargebeurde verhaal gaat over de kinderbarak in Bergen-Belsen en wordt verteld vanuit Hetty Werkendam die samen met haar broers in deze barak terechtkomt.
Ik blijf ontsteld over de gruwelijke daden die de Duitsers hebben gepleegd, ongelofelijk dat mensen tot zoiets in staat zijn. Laten we hop
Manuella
Hopelijk gaan we dit nooit meer meemaken.
Unbelievably moving true story of a young Jewish girl at Belsen concentration camp. The story haunted my thoughts for so many days, so painful to read of the suffering, but the stoicism of the children the book describes and the kindness of Sister Luba - the Angel of Belsen are true examples of heroism amidst unbelievably difficult circumstances.
Sally
Truly fascinating. I hadn't even heard of Bergen-Belsen before I stumbled across this book. What a horrifying discovery. We didn't study WWII in school, apart from the Australian involvement, so a lot of my knowledge has come from fictional stories and autobiographies such as this one.
Ali
Engrossing.
Disturbing.
Horrifying.
Saddening.
Yet oddly uplifting at times!
A piece of history that should never be forgotten - it should never be repeated but alas we don't seem to have learnt!
Amanda
Fantastic read about the horrors of the concentration camps. Was very moved to have met Hetty in person but have even more respect having read her story of survival.
Samantha
Oct 08, 2009 Samantha added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in the Holocost
Recommended to Samantha by: Auther ( Hetty Verolme)
This is the true story of a Jewish child in the Bergen Belson concentration came. I didn't rate it as it is a very serious book.
Dymphie
Persoonlijke herinneringen van haar over die vreselijke tijd. Goed leesbaar.
The-walking-dead
Great book! Recommended!!!!!!
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Astrid
Astrid added it
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Chea Ward
Chea Ward marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Dj
Dj marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Marleen Middelkamp
Marleen Middelkamp marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Gergely
Gergely marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
  • LIFE One Nation: America Remembers September 11, 2001
  • The Girl Who Couldn't Smile
  • A Garden of Eden in Hell: The Life of Alice Herz-Sommer
  • Notes From a Defeatist
  • Flight from Fear: A Rabbi's Holocaust Memoir (2nd Edition)
  • Fragments of Isabella: A Memoir of Auschwitz
  • Inside the Gas Chambers: Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz
  • From a Name to a Number: A Holocaust Survivor's Autobiography
  • The Liberators: America's Witnesses to the Holocaust
  • Mosaic: A Chronicle of Five Generations
  • Report from Ground Zero
  • Moments of Reprieve (Penguin Modern Classics)
Hetty Esther Verolme was born in Belgium in 1930. In 1931 her family moved to Amsterdam in the Netherlands. In 1943 she and her family were sent to the Nazi concentration camps.

After surviving the war and working for a time in the fashion industry, she emigrated to Australia in 1954. She worked in many jobs, from waitress to bus conductress, from door-to-door retailing to selling real estate. She
More about Hetty E. Verolme...
Hetty: A True Story