Start by marking “Detour: A Hollywood Story ” as Want to Read:
Detour: A Hollywood Story

Detour: A Hollywood Story

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Book by Crane, Cheryl, Jahr, Cliff
Published August 1st 1988 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Detour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detour

Colleen
This is a book I revisit several times a year. I guess being a fan of Lana Turner is part of it, but I have admiration for Cheryl Crane, as she is a true survivor. Her life is a fascinating, sometimes difficult read. And, despite all the problems between herself and her mother, you can always feel the love and good intentions, even if it didn't always turn out the way it was intended. I do think that Lana was self-absorbed, but she was not deliberately cruel or abusive. She was so preoccupied wi ...more
Michael Thomas Angelo
I still own my original copy of this book which my mother gave to me as a gift in 1988 after inscribing it with best wishes for the year. I was an 8th grader already in love with the dames of the silver screen from Hollywood's golden years. I had read Lana Turner's biography the year before and knew all about her lucky day at Schwab's Drugstore. Thus, it was with renewed interest that I picked up this hot copy of Detour, her daughter's story. The book was written by Turners' daughter Cheryl, fro ...more
Bonni Sweet
It was nice reading about "Old Hollywood" glamour days. When stars still dressed up to go out, when the publicity departments still kept track of what their clients were doing, and when everyone was expected to act like a grown up. I was surprised to read that so much had happened to Cheryl Crane at such a young age. Rape, murder, juvenile hall. I'm surprised the girl turned out as well adjusted as she did. Although I think Lana Turner had very little to do with it. Seems she was more interested ...more
Sally
I'm sorry, it gets the trashy tag. I was never a huge fan of Lana Turner's anyway, so it was a bit of a stretch that I read this.
Iza Moreau
Cheryl Crane was the daughter of iconic Hollywood sweater girl Lana Turner, who had a bad habit of choosing her men unwisely. One of the men with whom Turner had a relationship was a small-time hood named Johnny Stompanato. A jealous and abusive man, Stompanato was eventually stabbed to death by Crane, who was 14 at the time and claimed she was protecting her mother. The court agreed and ruled the killing a justifiable homicide. And there the story ends. Or so I had supposed.

In truth, Cheryl's s
Sallee
I found this book fascinating and sad at the same time. The story of Cheryl Crane, Lana Turner's daughter made for page turning reading. In spite of growing up as a Hollywood baby, her life was anything but happy. With the exception of her first nanny who was from Scotland, she had a number of nannies who were unusual to say the least. Her mother did not have much time for her as she was always working. Cheryl had so many stepfathers, one who sexually abused her and plenty of "uncles", it is a ...more
Denis
Fascinating account of a true Hollywood nightmare through the eyes of someone who lived it. One of the best books about the dark side of the Dream Factory, where Cheryl Crane talks quite candidly about what it can mean to be the child of a world-famous superstar - in this case the blonde siren Lana Turner. Her descriptions of her sheltered, privileged, yet infinitely lonely life are riveting, and the whole story of the murder that shocked the world in the fifties (Crane killed the abusive lover ...more
Denise
Susannah
I'd actually give this 3.5 stars (WHEN WILL YOU GIVE ME HALF-STARS, GOODREADS?!?). It was fun and tragic and dishy, but it was about 100 pages too long and I kind of had to force myself to finish after all the juiciest parts were over. But it's worth it for the glimpse of old-school Hollywood and sentences like "his brother owned the Yankees and was dating Sonja Henie." That level of name-dropping is what I'm looking for in a celeb bio, and this book DELIVERED.
Emily
this scandal was way before my time, so I had no preconcieved notions about it. I was very impressed with how the story unfolded, and found the pace wonderful. Too many memoirs linger on certain aspects that hinder the story telling. Cheryl Crane was able to avoid the poor me, poor me and really edited nicely. Her story was told in such a way that I empathised with her but did not pity her.
Christine
This is the story of Lana Turner's daughter, Cheryl Crane, who grew up in a land of privilege and neglect as the child of a major movie star. At the age of 14, she accidently stabbed her mother's boyfriend while trying to protect her mother. Her memoir recounts the aftermath of that night and how she eventually moved above and beyond that fateful night.
Nancy L.
One of my favorite books on Hollywood, this is the story of Lana Turner's daughter, Cheryl Crane, who grew up both privileged and neglected in Hollywood. At the age of 14, she came to her mother's defense and accidentally killed her mother's boyfriend. The aftermath of that night and how Crane overcame her demons makes for an absorbing read.
John
Feb 26, 2008 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in Hollywood history
This book is more than a bio; it's one of the best published descriptions of Hollywood of the Golden Age. Lana Turner's life is used as a road for us to travel as we experience that environment. Don't kno if it was Lana's daughter or her co-writer (now deceased, sadly), but however it got done, this is a classic.
Shirley
I was a Lana Turner fan since childhood, watching the crime-themed movies from the 30s and 40s with my parents. Lana Turner and Ida Lupino were at their best when bad! My aunt told me about the Cheryl Turner scandal when I was young and of course when Cheryl's book was released I quickly bought the book.
Douglas Gibson
Wonderful Old Hollywood dishing trash, with a heart-felt ending! Loved it.
Lorraine
I remember reading this back in the 80s or early 90s during my biographies phase. Interesting story about a teenager who killed her mother's boyfriend. It's occasionally mentioned in gangster movies, too, as Johnny Stampanato (sp?) was a member of Mickey Cohen's crew.
Elise
Wow! Gosh, this was fun to read.

I think I'm going to really indulge my thirst for trashy Hollywood nostalgia after reading this book - next up, Joan Crawford's daughter's memoir.
Sharon
The grass is not always greener. This poor woman had an awful childhood but managed to come out of it successfully. Sad but a good read.
Tracy
Another book about Lana Turner written by her daughter, Cheryl Crane, who may or may not be crazy. I enjoyed this book though.
Cheryl Schibley
Lana Turner's daughter tells the story of how she killed her mother's boyfriend to protect her. Great Hollywood read.
Whimsical
The story of Cheryl Canes childhood and adolesent years is heart-rending...Cheryl is Lana Turner's daughter!
Amanda
Cheryl Crane is Lana Turner's daughter and she also killed a man. What are you waiting for? Read this book!
Eileen Luna
Apr 24, 2011 Eileen Luna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far...very interesting
Susan Waters
Susan Waters marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Leeann
Leeann added it
Jan 15, 2015
Karen McHale
Karen McHale marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Amanda Edwards
Amanda Edwards marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
  • Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth
  • Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow
  • Natalie: A Memoir by Her Sister
  • Lulu in Hollywood
  • Without Lying Down: Screenwriter Frances Marion and the Powerful Women of Early Hollywood
  • Garbo
  • Montgomery Clift: A Biography
  • Dark Victory: The Life of Bette Davis
  • Natasha: The Biography of Natalie Wood
  • Swanson on Swanson
  • Mae West: It Ain't No Sin
  • Sal Mineo: A Biography
  • Pickford: The Woman Who Made Hollywood
  • The Hollywood Book of Death: The Bizarre, Often Sordid, Passings of More than 125 American Movie and TV Idols: The Bizarre, Often Sordid, Passings of Over 125 American Movie and TV Idols
Cheryl Crane is the daughter of movie star Lana Turner. She became infamous in 1958 after stabbing Turner's boyfriend, Johnny Stompanato. It was ruled to be justifiable homicide as Crane had been protecting her mother. Crane is the author of the autobiography Detour: a Hollywood Tragedy - My Life With Lana Turner, My Mother and other books.
More about Cheryl Crane...
The Bad Always Die Twice (Nikki Harper Mysteries #1) Lana Turner: The Memories, the Myths, the Movies The Dead and the Beautiful (Nikki Harper Mysteries, #3) Imitation of Death (Nikki Harper Mysteries, #2)