Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1

Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1 (Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  23 reviews
BACTERIA TO SCHOOL

Tadayasu is a new, fresh-faced university student hiding a bizarre secret: He can see germs with the naked eye. Between the machinations of an eccentric professor determined to unlock the power of the microbial world and the doomed agricultural experiments of his fellow students, will Tadayasu ever find the cool college atmosphere he so desires?
Published November 24th 2009 by Del Rey (first published May 23rd 2005)

Diana Dang
Bacterias are microscopic organisms. They surround us constantly, from being in the food we eat to the insides of our bodies. No one can see them with a naked eye. No one, except Tadayasu Sawaki.

A new student at an agriculture university, Sawaki is able to see germs that surround him. With his special ability, he gets tangled up in funny situations and meets a couple of odd people here and there. An absolute hit series in Japan, Moyasimon is brought to North America to reveal an adorable and edu...more
Vicki
Jan 17, 2010 Vicki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Vicki by: The Anime World Order podcast
Shelves: comics-and-manga, own
Notes are just on volume 1.

I love Moyashimon! Its a series about a groups of students (and their professors) at an agricultural university, where one of the students happens to be able to see microbes with the naked eye...and he sees them as cute little blobs with faces, in varying different shapes.

Here are some of the things I like most about it:

- It sits firmly in the slice-of-life genre, giving a somewhat meandering glimpse into the life and times of the characters without any particularly st...more
Stephanie Griffin
MOYASIMON: TALES OF AGRIGULTURE, is a manga with intelligence and humor. Written by Masayuki Ishikawa, it centers on Tadayasu, a young man from a rural family, along with his best friend Kei. Tadayasu has the power to see and communicate with bacteria of all kinds. This comes in handy when the two friends go off to an agricultural college in Tokyo. After all, bacteria are everywhere.
As soon as they enter the college, Tadayasu and Kei encounter bootleggers, smelly buried seals, initiation rites,...more
Geoff Sebesta
This is the best educational manga I've read for a long time. It's a story about a little boy who can see germs with the naked eye, and in all other ways it is a perfectly normal high school manga. There's nothing special about the story in any way at all, it's just a method for transferring microbiology information from the author's head to yours, and it works remarkably well at that.
Douglas P
A uniquely fresh entry into the world of manga - no big titty super-heroines, no supernatural sidekicks, no teenage angst, and no apocalyptic landscapes filling up every frame. What Ishikawa does here is lay down a simple tale of a young man entering an agricultural college right outside of Tokyo. What makes him unique is that he can see bacteria - every type of germ - from the common cold virus to yeast and even e. coli (which propels the book's most memorable scene, thanks to somebody not wash...more
Sesana
Well, this was different. Moyasimon is set at an agricultural college, and stars a boy who can see (and interact with) microscopic organisms like mold spores and bacteria. Meanwhile, one of the characters (a professor) gives lectures about the nature of these tiny critters that are actually rather fascinating. After reading the first volume of Moyasimon, you will know about traditional sake brewing practices, and have a very good idea of the sort of conversations tiny, adorable yeast have amongs...more
Kristin Fletcher-spear
while I enjoyed reading it, this manga is text heavy with a lot of explanation of microbes, fermentation, and germs. That part is not really my cup of tea. If the gn had just been a slice of life college freshman story with the ability to see germs, then I would have really enjoyed it. Too bad the professor and his assistant had to ruin the last half of the book for me.
Jacqui Geisel
Note: review is for the series up to where I've read (volume 2).

This series is unique, funny, and even educational! I wish they'd release more volumes in English...why does this always seem to happen to the series I like?

As a side note, if you think the microbes are cute here, just wait until you watch the anime. They are even more adorable with movement and voices.
Caleb
The best college comedy about an agriculture student with the magical ability to see and communicate with germs, which appear to him as cute little Japanese designs, that I've ever read. (Also, the only).

Long-er review and some images here:
Barbi
Jan 21, 2010 Barbi rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
When I picked up this book, I thought that the premise sounded really interesting. The protagonist can see germs (and they're very cute). And it started out very promisingly. However, it quickly became an education treatise on different types of germs. Not really my idea of light and fun reading.
Shinyfox
I did enjoy this book, I picked it up randomly because of it's odd premise. It turns out to be worth the long read. It has an excellent mix of humor and lecture! You actually can learn a thing or two from this series while enjoying the mishaps and problems the main character stumbles through!
sweet pea
a bizarre premise. bizarre characters. somehow, it's appealing. it's my favorite graphic novel set in an agricultural college, for sure. i love it for the sheer specificity of the topic. not a series i wish to continue. but it did have it's interesting, amusing, and bizarre moments.
Joy
Quirky and funny--like Ohikkoshi crossed with Mushishi. The skewed sense of humor is a surprise and treat. Where else will you find a manga that has bacteria who say gozaru? I wish I had a copy to lend out, though, so I could determine what the audience is beyond, well, me.
Travis Romano
Moyasimon is about the day to day college life of a boy who just happens to be able to see microbes with the naked eye. Don't expect some big mystery over how he has this power, or drama over the consequences of using his powers. It is a simple light hearted comedy.
Kathy
scenario: kid can see microorganisms, goes to an agricultural school. Really, an exploration of microorganisms in our lives: fermentation, illness, health. Some quite gross.
Mariam
cute microbes! lots of facts that can put you to sleep, but funny manga.
Noran Miss Pumkin
never knew bacteria could be this much fun!
Kimberly
HILARIOUS. I can't wait to read more! :)
Niki Smith
Cutest little microbes you'll ever see.
Josiah
let's join the cool farming craze!
Snow
clearing off the manga-to-be-read shelf
Victoria
I am eagerly awaiting the English version of the volume 3, and I so want to see the live-action series.
Sarah added it
Apr 11, 2014
Doc99
Doc99 marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Lynne'
Lynne' marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Oishinbo, Volume 1 - Japanese Cuisine
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1)
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 1 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #1)
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
  • Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
  • The Drops of God 1 (The Drops of God, #1-2)
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service 1 (The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, #1)
  • 7 Billion Needles, Volume 1